Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

gvibes posted:

The super-local company who donates a ton of my poo poo to everything in my town was competitive, so I went with them.

:itwaspoo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
I had my asphalt driveway resealed yesterday with the job finishing up around 12:30. By 2:30 a pop-up shower cast down very light rain for about 5 minutes. The sun quickly came back out any dried everything away. Then at 3:45 another shower came, but this time it was some hard rain for a solid 15 minutes. Once again after the rain the sun came out but this time due to its positioning, the driveway did not totally dry out.

To the sealer companies credit, there was no rain in the forecast that day so I don't blame them, but am I now screwed in terms of the sealers integrity?

I phoned the company as soon as it started raining to go on record; the company asked me to wait one day, inspect the work, and it I still had concerns they would send someone to "take a look and see if new work was required".

I of course don't know what exactly I'm looking for in terms of quality issues. Visually the driveway looks fine, but my main concern is the integrity of the seal long term.

Any goons have experience on this type of thing? What I can look for, or what to say to make sure they redo the work (if necessary)? I'm not looking to get a freebie, I just want the job done right if it was compromised.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Random lighting question.

In my room I have an overhead fixture that's missing a cover. I think the fixture would need to be replaced to get one with an actual cover. In case it matters I don't own the place, I'm renting.

Do others tend to have fixtures with covers or is it alright to have bare lightbulbs? I think it comes down to preference so I can bug the landlord and see what they say.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this 100% looks like a boob light that's missing somehthing

If you turn the light off and look straight up there's probably a hole where you can put a threaded tube in and put the "boob" back on the light you can probably get replacement glass / tube from the interents especially if you can read the sticker to see who made it

Edit: took a picture with my glass off.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 12, 2020

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

tater_salad posted:

this 100% looks like a boob light that's missing somehthing

If you turn the light off and look straight up there's probably a hole where you can put a threaded tube in and put the "boob" back on the light you can probably get replacement glass / tube from the interents especially if you can read the sticker to see who made it

Edit: took a picture with my glass off.

Yeah it's for sure a boob light. The embarrassing story is I took off the cover to replace a bulb a while ago, and when I was screwing it in it sparked and I very nearly shocked myself because the tube must've touched live wires inside the fixture. I figured the original install screwed something up because I wouldn't anticipate exposed live wires behind the plate.

I ended up somehow losing the cover and tube, it probably got thrown away. :(

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 12, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

call maintinence / landlord to check it out or kill the breaker and undo the like 2 screws that attach it to the wall and then attach it to the fixture and check out why you released the blue smoke.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If you saw sparks changing the bulb call your landlord and tell them that, and that you dropped the cover and it broke when it sparked. You're really glad you didn't fall off the ladder, it was so scary.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Those boob lights are like $9, it really shouldn't be a big issue for your landlord to replace but that's all up to how lazy he is.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

The Rev posted:

I of course don't know what exactly I'm looking for in terms of quality issues. Visually the driveway looks fine, but my main concern is the integrity of the seal long term.

Any goons have experience on this type of thing? What I can look for, or what to say to make sure they redo the work (if necessary)? I'm not looking to get a freebie, I just want the job done right if it was compromised.

Do you see any runoff or splattering of the sealer? Do you see any patches that look thinner or lighter than others or dimpled?

Depending on the amount of rain and/or how fast it dried, it could affect the sealer. If you don't notice anything that looked unevenly cured/colored or notice any runoff, it's probably fine. Since you paid to have it done, it probably doesn't hurt to have someone come out to check it. Do they offer any kind of warranty? If they give you a 3 year warranty or whatever, get the person to come out and go on record, as he probably will, that 'it's perfectly fine'. Then if it later proves the sealer didn't dry properly, you can argue that with them.

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

Do you see any runoff or splattering of the sealer? Do you see any patches that look thinner or lighter than others or dimpled?

Depending on the amount of rain and/or how fast it dried, it could affect the sealer. If you don't notice anything that looked unevenly cured/colored or notice any runoff, it's probably fine. Since you paid to have it done, it probably doesn't hurt to have someone come out to check it. Do they offer any kind of warranty? If they give you a 3 year warranty or whatever, get the person to come out and go on record, as he probably will, that 'it's perfectly fine'. Then if it later proves the sealer didn't dry properly, you can argue that with them.

I'll have to check the paperwork to see if there's a warranty somewhere. Looked again today after work, one patch seemed a bit uneven, and in a few other areas it's a bit discolored as compared to the rest. I'll reach out to the company tomorrow and have someone stop by; hopefully they're honest in their assessment/if new work needs to be done. My sidewalk also seems to have gotten quite a few smudges on it, but i'm not as worries about that...just looks unsightly which is a shame.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ugh. So our county just went through a reassessment, and the assessed value of our house (which was admittedly pretty low) went up 3.5x. lol

This number was decided upon by a third party consulting company.

I'm going through the appeal process, which included a phone call with the company last week. I'm now in the process of writing a letter stating my case, which will let me give them comparable comps/etc, after which they'll give me another value. If I'm still not happy, I have the opportunity for a hearing later this summer/opportunity to provide my own assessment. Has anyone gone through this process? Any tips?

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
I'm re-doing my front yard which has two major retaining walls, both with large cracks. I've gotten 3 bids, $35k (this guy kept repeating "wow this is a lot of work" I don't think he wanted the job), $38k (this was to redo the retaining walls and front patio), and $18k.

I searched the contractor for the 18k bid, he has no website, can't find any reviews. But he has a valid contractor's license and is insured (I verified both). What should I get in writing to make sure he does a good job? Or should I not use him at all?

SA Forums Poster fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 13, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SA Forums Poster posted:

I'm re-doing my front yard which has two major retaining walls, both with large cracks. I've gotten 3 bids, $35k (this guy kept repeating "wow this is a lot of work" I don't think he wanted the job), $38k (this was to redo the retaining walls and front patio), and $18k.

I searched the contractor for the 18k bid, he has no website, can't find any reviews. But he has a valid contractor's license and is insured (I verified both). What should I get in writing to make sure he does a good job? Or should I not use him at all?

A permit. Even if it's not needed. Especially if it's not needed.

Pictures/examples of his work and phone numbers for happy customers. If he's new to the business it's going to be riskier and should be compensated in the price.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

Ugh. So our county just went through a reassessment, and the assessed value of our house (which was admittedly pretty low) went up 3.5x. lol

I'm going through the appeal process, which included a phone call with the company last week. I'm now in the process of writing a letter stating my case, which will let me give them comparable comps/etc, after which they'll give me another value. If I'm still not happy, I have the opportunity for a hearing later this summer/opportunity to provide my own assessment. Has anyone gone through this process? Any tips?

I appealed the appraisal on our last house for property taxes. I brought some printouts from zillow, etc showing a value of less than the appraised amount. I also told them how actually the house was two houses literally stuck together so the square footage wasn't livable or useful in the same way a home designed from the start with that amount of square footage would be.

They told me that they don't give a gently caress about zillow (essentially) but the other part they were interested in. They didn't come down fully on the appraised amount but almost all the way to what I was asking for. I think I could have taken it further to court but decided it wasn't worth my time to do so.

I would probably put part of your appeal (but a small part) as COVID related, like who the gently caress will even buy your house at their new price during a pandemic? But I'm no appeals expert so maybe that won't work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tangy yet delightful posted:

I appealed the appraisal on our last house for property taxes. I brought some printouts from zillow, etc showing a value of less than the appraised amount. I also told them how actually the house was two houses literally stuck together so the square footage wasn't livable or useful in the same way a home designed from the start with that amount of square footage would be.

They told me that they don't give a gently caress about zillow (essentially) but the other part they were interested in. They didn't come down fully on the appraised amount but almost all the way to what I was asking for. I think I could have taken it further to court but decided it wasn't worth my time to do so.

I would probably put part of your appeal (but a small part) as COVID related, like who the gently caress will even buy your house at their new price during a pandemic? But I'm no appeals expert so maybe that won't work.

Yup, I included information about the usable square footage, condition of the house, property, comparable sales in the neighborhood, and added covid in.

I wrote a letter protesting my property value. I feel like a real homeowner!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
after repairing the water dispenser in the fridge, it seems like the ice maker isn't working. I don't know at this point if I contact the repair person who fixed the water dispenser, or if i contact the home warranty company. I knew the home warranty wasn't going to fix the water dispenser because that one was faulty on day one, but I don't know how me having the water dispenser repaired myself affects their coverage of the ice maker.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It just broke. Call and get the shittiest tech your home warranty can find and they can make the ice maker work half the time and break the water dispenser in the process.

(Home warranties are poo poo unless they are replacing the entire appliance, and even then it will be with the cheapest poo poo they can get away with)

Wait....before I suggest you do this, what is the deductible and terms?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
$100 deductible which is also the service fee, pay for repair not replacement,

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

joepinetree posted:

$100 deductible which is also the service fee, pay for repair not replacement,

Ehhh...have you looked up "<make> <model number> <your problem>" yet? At least qualify that it's not some well known thing that takes a screwdriver and $5 part wtih 15 minutes of your time before spending $100 and being inconvenienced by having to schedule all of this.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Motronic posted:

Ehhh...have you looked up "<make> <model number> <your problem>" yet? At least qualify that it's not some well known thing that takes a screwdriver and $5 part wtih 15 minutes of your time before spending $100 and being inconvenienced by having to schedule all of this.

That's what I ended up doing. Turns out that removing and reattaching the ice maker on a bosch fridge is super easy. I did that and hit the reset button and water came out and filled the tray. Now let's see if it keeps going.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They are mostly trash but we had a whole
Home warranty and surprise surprise the 32 year old sub zero fridge in the kitchen died as soon as we moved in (it was likely dead or limping and we didn’t know). 2 companies were both like “yeah it’s not repairable” which gave my wife enough ammo to raise hell and have them cut us a check for $5000 and buy us a mini fridge.

We bought a counter depth LG and a king size mattress with the check.

What I’m saying is marry right and they could be worth it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Dave posted:

They are mostly trash but we had a whole
Home warranty and surprise surprise the 32 year old sub zero fridge in the kitchen died as soon as we moved in (it was likely dead or limping and we didn’t know). 2 companies were both like “yeah it’s not repairable” which gave my wife enough ammo to raise hell and have them cut us a check for $5000 and buy us a mini fridge.

We bought a counter depth LG and a king size mattress with the check.

What I’m saying is marry right and they could be worth it.

I don't get it, $5k for a mini fridge?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Spoke too soon. Ice tray filled with ice, but it still hasn't frozen overnight. Weird because frozen food is still frozen and not thawing. From a quick search, it is either that the freezer isn't cooling enough (has to be under 12 f apparently, not just freezing) or the temperature sensor for the ice maker is broken and not activating the system to pull the cold air from below (it's one of those side by side fridges).

Put a thermometer inside and this afternoon ill see if i have to call the warranty.

Edit:

Turns out that the freezer is cold enough at the bottom, not cold enough at the top. Looking online it seems to be frequently diagnosed as a bad evaporator fan motor. Part seems cheap enough, but I've read enough people complaining about how much of a pain it is to install that I will probably call the home warranty this afternoon.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 14, 2020

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Inner Light posted:

I don't get it, $5k for a mini fridge?

They got us a mini fridge immediately to save our food and then once all repairs were attempted on the sub zero my wife got them to give us $5k which was the max they could give out.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

The Dave posted:

They got us a mini fridge immediately to save our food and then once all repairs were attempted on the sub zero my wife got them to give us $5k which was the max they could give out.

Oh I'm an idiot, I wasn't reading that right. Good stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Gonna have to remember this for the next remodel

https://twitter.com/it_meirl_bot/status/1260793467598299139?s=21

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

gently caress that, I don't want them to know who to sue

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
That and my Sears shut down so where do I get the nice portrait?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to put up a full sized portrait of me looking shocked on the inside of the wall so when they tear down the sheetrock my horrified face is the first thing they see.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

StormDrain posted:

That and my Sears shut down so where do I get the nice portrait?

just scrawl an imgur or instagram link to your selfie, I'm sure that'll still work in 20 years or whatever

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So my wife and I need a lot more storage in our condo than what is in there (we come from an apartment with 2 walk in closets, and now own a condo with 2 reach in ones).

We've been thinking about installing a wardrobe, and it seems like we have 3 basic options:

a DIY one from a place like IKEA, kind of like this one:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pax-wardrobe-white-tyssedal-tyssedal-glass-s29221652/

Something from one of the big national chains, like california closets

Trying to find something local.

Anyone have any experience with either the ikea type stuff or the big national chains? Alternatively, when shopping around for local stores, anything jump out as an important thing to take into account?

First time homeowner, and first time ever needing to even think about something like this.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Residency Evil posted:

Yes, it is best to go through this when the assessor is up for reelection. My value got cut in half with a quick visit before the primary.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

joepinetree posted:

So my wife and I need a lot more storage in our condo than what is in there (we come from an apartment with 2 walk in closets, and now own a condo with 2 reach in ones).

We've been thinking about installing a wardrobe, and it seems like we have 3 basic options:

a DIY one from a place like IKEA, kind of like this one:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/pax-wardrobe-white-tyssedal-tyssedal-glass-s29221652/

We bought a monstrous PAX wardrobe for our house due to the same problem you're having. It's fine. Takes a weekend to assemble it. Ours is two big sliding panels, a shelf up top, hanging space for say, shirt-length things, and then 4 drawers. Everything is softclose and gently caress whomever designed the softclose for the big sliding glass panel doors. Get it delivered, it is a zillion boxes.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Grrrrr what should've been an incredibly simple ceiling light replacement is looking to be an expensive pain in the rear end instead.

I'm replacing an old chandelier with a new flush mount, and it looks like the chandelier was only really being held up by one screw, since the other screw hole on the ceiling box was totally stripped

And the fixture I bought is hovering off the ceiling by a full inch for some goddamn reason

Never do home improvements!!! It just makes everything worse!!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just get a new 'old work box' for the fan and hang it between the ceiling joist. I'm going to assume I'll have to do this when I replace the fans in my house and will most certainly buy one with the first fan and keep 1 on stock as I replace them. They're like 7 bux.

Or is this a fan on floor 1 with a floor 2 above it? If so just get one of those ugly rear end fan medallions to cover up the hole ya gotta make.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Box shmox. Our last house, on three ceiling lights the previous owner just screwed the base right into the ceiling drywall and wired up the Romex.

Yeah these things came in handy: https://www.lowes.com/pd/RACO-1-Gan...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I recently bought a house and the hot water heater is 20 years old and leaking all over the concrete basement. Obviously uhhh needs to be replaced.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about what sort of water heater I should get, and whether I should replace this storage tank gas water heater with a tankless one?

The hot water here is great at the moment so I have no complaints. I've never used a tankless water heater before.

A benefit of tankless would be:
* uses less space (not really that relevant at the moment)
* $1000 rebate from the gas company to do this.

Downside?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

How much hot water will you use a day? Generally, the downside to tankless is they can’t keep up if you have high demand. They are more efficient if you aren’t a big hot water user though.

Dr.Donkeypunch
Sep 8, 2003

Ask me about ironing shirts.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any experience with battery-powered outdoor landscaping equipment? I’m specifically looking for a leaf blower and hedge trimmer.

Would like a pretty powerful leaf blower because I’ll be using it on some stubborn gutters to clean them out frequently due to the huge amount of trees in our yard.

I’m torn between Ego and Milwaukee. Both get great ratings and seem to be very reliable with enough battery life to take care of the projects I need them to.

Just didn’t know if anyone had any experience with either brand, positive or negative. Thanks in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

How much hot water will you use a day? Generally, the downside to tankless is they can’t keep up if you have high demand. They are more efficient if you aren’t a big hot water user though.

Demand will be low. Just a two person household really. 

If I went with a tank one it'd be probably one of the smallest tanks they have.

House does have a dishwasher and washing machine. Only one bathroom.