Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Clouseau posted:

If KTMA counts I’d add Phase IV as another good movie. Directed by Saul Bass! C’mon!

I remember seeing that on TV in 1988...coincidentally the night before we checked into a hotel room that was dripping with ants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want some shorts with Season 12, and i want them now!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It's odd how he admits to doing hackneyed Southern stereotypes and thinks that's somehow exculpatory.

It's the standard "bad on purpose" excuse a lot of people use. As if intentionally being bad means that it is actually good.

I do stuff in music sometimes, and I know a lot of people who will just say their crappy song is experimental.

Yeah, the drummer is behind because he's messing with our expectations of what a beat is.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's the standard "bad on purpose" excuse a lot of people use. As if intentionally being bad means that it is actually good.

I do stuff in music sometimes, and I know a lot of people who will just say their crappy song is experimental.

Yeah, the drummer is behind because he's messing with our expectations of what a beat is.

Experiments fail.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cemetry Gator posted:

That reminds me that when the RiffTrax crew were doing the Sharknado flicks, somebody asked them what they thought of 'bad movies on purpose' and Kevin said in essence if somebody does a bad movie on purpose then all they have succeeded at is failure.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
MR. BEARDSLEY!!!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bruceski posted:

Experiments fail.

Yeah, but even then, with music and movies, there's at least a cleverness in the execution to let us know it's supposed to be "bad".

When I think of failed experiments like that, I always think of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. I mean "I SLEEP NOW" will always make me laugh, but the rest of the movie only got a few weak chuckles and overall felt tedious to me. It was an attempt to make something deliberately "bad" and instead they ended up with BAD. But still, you always *knew* what they were going for even if they missed the mark.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, but even then, with music and movies, there's at least a cleverness in the execution to let us know it's supposed to be "bad".

When I think of failed experiments like that, I always think of The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. I mean "I SLEEP NOW" will always make me laugh, but the rest of the movie only got a few weak chuckles and overall felt tedious to me. It was an attempt to make something deliberately "bad" and instead they ended up with BAD. But still, you always *knew* what they were going for even if they missed the mark.

I thought Lost Skeleton of Cadavra was great, minus a couple of scenes that didn't work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Paper Kaiju posted:

I thought Lost Skeleton of Cadavra was great, minus a couple of scenes that didn't work.

You and bunch of people I know. And that's fine, just not my thing I guess.

And I forgive much because of "I SLEEP NOW"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I enjoyed both Cadavra movies but I liked their haunted house movie, "Dark and Stormy Night" even more. I have a weakness for 30s and 40s style intrepid reporter characters.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

TL posted:

MR. BEARDSLEY!!!

This is the story... Of a man named Jed

JEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I tried Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and the sequel, but mostly felt the pacing was off. Several bits just dragged on too long.

The best "intentionally bad" thing I've ever seen is still Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Keromaru5 posted:

I tried Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and the sequel, but mostly felt the pacing was off. Several bits just dragged on too long.

The best "intentionally bad" thing I've ever seen is still Garth Marenghi's Darkplace.

I think Darkplace works really well because a) its aiming for comedy and b) it constantly acts like they lost footage or parts of episodes to get away with cutting down to just the funniest bits.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Keromaru5 posted:

I'd say Xavier Renegade Angel would also be a good contender

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Bruceski posted:

Experiments fail.

True. What I meant is that it can be an easy excuse for producing something bad.

Take the Velvet Underground's Murder Mystery. I would classify it as a failed experiment, but it wasn't laziness. You know they aren't lazy by the rest of the album. They made good music. It's just something that doesn't work.

Now, this conversation gets into things like naive art and stuff like that, and it's hard to craft a statement that doesn't have an obvious gap. But I think there's a difference between incompetence and experimental, and it's easy for the former to claim the latter because they don't understand what experimental means.

Manos is a great example of naive art. It fails at being a good movie, but part of what I appreciate about it is just the effort. And some things work, like the Master and Torgo. Those actors actually did a decent job. In the hands of a better script and film maker, they might have had a chance. Or they might have been mediocre. At least we got something that is strangely captivating.

Cemetry Gator fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 1, 2018

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
New Joel interview:

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/mst3k/276617/mst3k-30th-anniversary-tour-joel-hodgson-puts-on-the-red-jumpsuit-again

Two noteworthy items here: one, Tim Ryder and Grant Baciocco are playing Servo and Crow, respectively, on the tour. Tim was Servo on the tour last year and did a very good job. Second, Joel is very, very coy about any spoilers for season 12, particularly any onscreen appearances for him.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

MR. BEARDSLEY!!!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

A huge amount. All the Gamera and Godzilla movies, The Amazing Colossal Man, Robot Monster, Marooned, Crawling Eye, Sidehackers, Wild Rebels...my father and I went to a local theater that played B-movies as a regular thing, switching them out every two or three days. We watched so much garbage there, but drat they were fun.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'd also like to recommend Kevin Murphy's A Year at the Movies, just for his description of kidney stone. Something like: "A radioactive potato from hell in my lower abdomen."

Anyone read Frank's recent books?

World Famous W posted:

How many films can you remember seeing before watching the riffed version? A gas station when I was a child had a vhs rental section and had Merlin's Shop for some reason. I watched that any times before ever seeing the episode.

Tons, my folks seemed determined to make sure I grew into a huge nerd. Bride of the Monster, Robot Monster, Earth vs. the Spider, all the giant monster flicks including Yongary and Gorgo. Light on the horror though, I was still scared of everything.

Failson fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 1, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Failson posted:

Anyone read Frank's recent books?

25 MST3k Films That Changed My Life In No Way Whatsoever is good, but don’t go in expecting lots of behind-the-scenes info. It’s more like 25 short essays where Frank starts to talk about the film and then rambles on about something unrelated.

It’s really funny.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kind of bitter they didn't ask me to take this assignment.

While not "intentionally bad," I do feel that Case of Spring Fever is very much in on the joke. Not overtly, but it's just self-aware enough that we're all laughing at it together.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Failson posted:

I'd also like to recommend Kevin Murphy's A Year at the Movies, just for his description of kidney stone. Something like: "A radioactive potato from hell in my lower abdomen."

I just did a reread of this last month; still love it. And he gives a nice mini-rant about "so-bad-it's-good" films during the chapter on Corky Romano. (He does not include it among that class of film, or even the class of films trying to achieve that status.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

A huge amount. All the Gamera and Godzilla movies, The Amazing Colossal Man, Robot Monster, Marooned, Crawling Eye, Sidehackers, Wild Rebels...my father and I went to a local theater that played B-movies as a regular thing, switching them out every two or three days. We watched so much garbage there, but drat they were fun.

Yikes. Sidehackers? Knowing what they left out, I can only imagine it's even more loathsome.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

"This is the test of the emergency broadcast chicken"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I just did a reread of this last month; still love it. And he gives a nice mini-rant about "so-bad-it's-good" films during the chapter on Corky Romano. (He does not include it among that class of film, or even the class of films trying to achieve that status.)

I loved his rant about Forrest Gump, and I agree with it whole-heartedly

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Davros1 posted:

I loved his rant about Forrest Gump, and I agree with it whole-heartedly

Me, too. The bit about how it's like the really bad story your friend wrote about a puppy that dies and if you tell him the story is bad he yells you obviously hate puppies rings true.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rewatched Werewolf (or Arizona Werewolf, if you like) for the first time in ages and ages so once again I was childishly delighted by Santa Castro the Militiaman.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Dawgstar posted:

Rewatched Werewolf (or Arizona Werewolf, if you like) for the first time in ages and ages so once again I was childishly delighted by Santa Castro the Militiaman.

"I've been issued as your best friend!"

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Good Lord, the RiffTrax Twitch stream is unwatchable. Twitch Prime doesn't eliminate commercials anymore, and they have 30 seconds of commercials every 3 minutes. It's obscene.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rydiafan posted:

Good Lord, the RiffTrax Twitch stream is unwatchable. Twitch Prime doesn't eliminate commercials anymore, and they have 30 seconds of commercials every 3 minutes. It's obscene.

It is horrific. I used to just have that in the background and now no way

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

rydiafan posted:

I haven't experienced this yet, sounds terrible. I never got ads on PS4, FWIW.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Another Bill posted:

I’ve had luck with a 3rd party app called Twitchy on the AppleTV. Have yet to see a commercial when watching TurkeyDay MST3K Twitch channel (literally the only time I use it)

The Pluto.tv RiffTrax channel is pretty good. They do have commercials, but no where near the frequency you’re reporting.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Another Bill posted:

That's odd, because I'm watching on PS4 myself. No other station does it to me, either.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Proteus Jones posted:

I’ve had luck with a 3rd party app called Twitchy on the AppleTV. Have yet to see a commercial when watching TurkeyDay MST3K Twitch channel (literally the only time I use it)

The Pluto.tv RiffTrax channel is pretty good. They do have commercials, but no where near the frequency you’re reporting.

They have a pretty reasonable frequency for their commercials--unfortunately I've found their application to be a bit on the buggy side.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Pluto.tv's problem is they have like 4 sponsors at any given time, and if I see that goddamn "guy trains for a marathon so he can photograph his daughter who is in the marathon" ad again I swear

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Apparently MST3K got pulled off Hulu

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

Apparently MST3K got pulled off Hulu

I’m betting Shout! Factory didn’t renew Hulu’s license, now that they own the back catalog (bought it in 2015, I think?)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Maxwell Lord posted:

Pluto.tv's problem is they have like 4 sponsors at any given time, and if I see that goddamn "guy trains for a marathon so he can photograph his daughter who is in the marathon" ad again I swear

That's bad enough. The real problem is the bug I get where it plays two or three ads at more or less the same time.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Proteus Jones posted:

I’m betting Shout! Factory didn’t renew Hulu’s license, now that they own the back catalog (bought it in 2015, I think?)

Wonder if they'll expand the offerings of classic episodes on Netflix due to this

Also someone really needs to tell Shout Factory to update their Kindle app, drat thing is near useless, doesn't even have a search function

Also why the gently caress do they not have a version available on Android or PS4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sony can be troublesome to deal with, I've heard. As for Android, no clue.