Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matlack Radio
Jun 2, 2006

Yoshi Wins posted:

Has anyone ever substantiated the rumors of W being smart in any way? I’ve heard it before too, but I’m skeptical that he’s highly intelligent even in narrow ways that don’t pertain to leading a nation. He strikes me as largely incurious and apathetic.

He definitely has social intelligence, which probably served him in his pre-destined journey through america's gross political system. This doesn't show when he has to talk to hundreds (or millions when on tv) of people at once. But if you see pictures or video of him schmoozing, the people he is directly talking to usually have a genuine smile on their face. This was most telling to me when Obama was president. Any time W and Michelle Obama were talking she is legitimately charmed at whatever the gently caress he is saying. He would be a good waiter is I guess what I am getting at.

And since that last sentence is essentially a compliment, let me post easy access to his administrations list of atrocities, and say gently caress THE BUSH DYNASTY I HOPE YOUR LINE STRUGGLES WITH INFERTILITY

Content:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Lowtax is already dating again?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

Don't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

jojoinnit posted:

gently caress off.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

I read a lot of Dragonlance novels in sixth grade and that didn't make me equipped for statecraft

Mod, I am disappoint.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Mod, I am disappoint.

to be fair, my time as a mod has been basically OOF OW HANG ON WHAT OH NO IS THAT THE REVOLVER HA HA OH COOL IT DIDN'T OH WAIT IT DID

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Subjunctive posted:

gently caress off.

Kk sorry :cripes:

I have no idea who that's a picture of, in case that's what made it extra bad

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

jojoinnit posted:

Kk sorry :cripes:

I have no idea who that's a picture of, in case that's what made it extra bad

it's some woman who fell of a longboard

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Jojoinnit working some rough chuckles in here

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Johnny Aztec posted:

Jojoinnit working some rough chuckles in here

It was a good joke, just possibly way the gently caress too soon given that the saga isn't actually over yet.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Comedy is tragedy plus time, but only for large values of time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

except with 9/11, in which case it was small values of time, but that's an exception because it was nervous laughter therapy

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Neil Degrasse Tyson, or hell even someone like Jordan Peterson are great examples of how most people are only "intelligent" in very discipline-specific ways. You only notice that they're stupendous dumbasses when they step outside of their lanes.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pastry of the Year posted:

I have nothing to add to this perfect jewel of a post.

Rolling with the punches :rolleyes:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Rolling with the punches :rolleyes:

Subjunctive posted:

gently caress off.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
So don't gently caress off?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

bike tory posted:

Neil Degrasse Tyson, or hell even someone like Jordan Peterson are great examples of how most people are only "intelligent" in very discipline-specific ways. You only notice that they're stupendous dumbasses when they step outside of their lanes.

Ben Carson is my go-to example.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/nf5fHpy.mp4

That's what... Pastry of the Year said.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

If anything W always seemed he could be the sort of smart where you strategically figure out the absolute minimum effort to live a life at a predetermined curve of accomplishment.

About officers:

I distinguish four types. There are clever, hardworking, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and hardworking; their place is the General Staff. The next ones are stupid and lazy; they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the mental clarity and strength of nerve necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is both stupid and hardworking; he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always only cause damage.

-Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

madeintaipei posted:

About officers:

I distinguish four types. There are clever, hardworking, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and hardworking; their place is the General Staff. The next ones are stupid and lazy; they make up 90 percent of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the mental clarity and strength of nerve necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is both stupid and hardworking; he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always only cause damage.

-Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

If you want to understand the financial services industry, you have to think in terms of which of these four groups is in charge.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yoshi Wins posted:

Has anyone ever substantiated the rumors of W being smart in any way? I’ve heard it before too, but I’m skeptical that he’s highly intelligent even in narrow ways that don’t pertain to leading a nation. He strikes me as largely incurious and apathetic.

Maybe not smart but less dumb. There is footage of him speaking and debating while governor or in the race to be governor and it's like a different person. Like he took a massive blow to the head (or a massive load of blow) that turned him into the Dubya we know now.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
And then Trump is a weird case. Zero intelligence or curiosity on any subject whatsoever.

Which makes it a good case study in how far a person can go if they have literally zero morality.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

HPanda posted:

And then Trump is a weird case. Zero intelligence or curiosity on any subject whatsoever.

Which makes it a good case study in how far a person can go if they have literally zero morality.

Trump really hasn't "gone" anywhere. He's still riding on daddy's money and the media he hates so much (who now claim to hate him) made him famous enough to win a popularity contest against a bunch of idiots.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Trump really hasn't "gone" anywhere. He's still riding on daddy's money and the media he hates so much (who now claim to hate him) made him famous enough to win a popularity contest against a bunch of idiots.

Nobody expected the Democrats to be that terrible at running a campaign :smith:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hi, European guy here. From the outside it looks like Trump has very much "gone" somewhere, i.e. the White loving House. Ta.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HPanda posted:

But again, he also used to speak much more eloquently, whether or not what he said was correct or agreeable. Senility or brainworms or drugs or something has made him a blithering idiot.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

This made my mom's night thanks.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol if this place is around in 25 years you're all going to be like "well, if you watch clips from the 80s Trump is actually very articulate and insightful, therefore he's probably got at least some low level genius and his big brain is probably..."

He was a useful idiot and he's responsible for well over 100k civilian deaths. loving goons.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

A bunch of mogwai? Okay! :3:

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Technically he lost the popularity contest, but due to how stupid the electoral system is he got elected anyway.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Solice Kirsk posted:

I was under the impression that daddy's money was long, LONG since wasted and now he owes a troubling amount to Deutsche Bank and Bank of China.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Please let me empty quote this every day for a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Grendels Dad posted:

Hi, European guy here. From the outside it looks like Trump has very much "gone" somewhere, i.e. the White loving House. Ta.

Too right, mate