Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I've tried to play Cyberpunk so many times. I really love the aesthetic, the world, the concept, I enjoy the plot, I think it looks great. But as soon as you have to do anything to do with combat, the game is a loving chore. Like I own a cyberpunk leather jacket, and I haven't even got to a point where the level-ups matter yet, because I find it so annoying to play.

To make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills, I loaded up my latest save, where I'm creeping up behind a guy. Sure enough, I unload an entire clip into the back of his head, and he turns around and shoots at me, and every enemy in the level starts walking toward me. I am out of ammo and have no skills that can help, so all I'm left with is trying to run past them. I load it up again, and try running past them, and just as I reach the critical point, my car comes driving in through the wall and explodes. A few seconds later I die, from no observable source. I turn it off again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

!Klams posted:

I've tried to play Cyberpunk so many times. I really love the aesthetic, the world, the concept, I enjoy the plot, I think it looks great. But as soon as you have to do anything to do with combat, the game is a loving chore. Like I own a cyberpunk leather jacket, and I haven't even got to a point where the level-ups matter yet, because I find it so annoying to play.

To make sure I wasn't taking crazy pills, I loaded up my latest save, where I'm creeping up behind a guy. Sure enough, I unload an entire clip into the back of his head, and he turns around and shoots at me, and every enemy in the level starts walking toward me. I am out of ammo and have no skills that can help, so all I'm left with is trying to run past them. I load it up again, and try running past them, and just as I reach the critical point, my car comes driving in through the wall and explodes. A few seconds later I die, from no observable source. I turn it off again.

From this description it sounds like you're insanely bad at video games more than anything else, do you review games for a living or something?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I can't wait to hear about cyberpunk again in 10 years when it's rereleased in a bundle with Skyrim.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cyberpunk is okay. its not dramatically bad or anything but the combat is a bit janky for an FPS and its a little boring somehow. It has some cool sidequests and characters though and some really good voice acting. Its a far cry from Witcher 3 though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The best thing about cyberpunk was it showing how much gamers love marketing, hype and advertising.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The vast majority of the hype was because Witcher 3 is such a good game and people were excited for their next game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
the best games come out of nowhere. if something is being hyped a lot than its going to be mid tier at best

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The vast majority of the hype was because Witcher 3 is such a good game and people were excited for their next game.

more people bought cyberpunk because of Keanu Reeves than because of CDprojekt Red

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

!Klams posted:

everything I've heard about the bad combat was it being unbalanced in the other direction, like it's way too easy to make a build that just one hit kills everything with a single headshot or beepboop hacking button so there's no actual satisfying combat left

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

satanic splash-back posted:

From this description it sounds like you're insanely bad at video games more than anything else, do you review games for a living or something?

Many people who like video games actually just like video game stuff more than playing the video games itself. I personally enjoy reading lore about games I played a super long time ago.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

jokes posted:

Many people who like video games actually just like video game stuff more than playing the video games itself. I personally enjoy reading lore about games I played a super long time ago.

Yea that could be cool. But I was actually making a joke version of this post:

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

everything I've heard about the bad combat was it being unbalanced in the other direction, like it's way too easy to make a build that just one hit kills everything with a single headshot or beepboop hacking button so there's no actual satisfying combat left

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Yes but skyrim is an insanely bad game

thank you

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I never played cyberpunk, I was under the impression it’s one of those games where you can unload a full clip into some dudes head (who isn’t wearing a helmet) and only knock off 10% of their health, and you see pop ups of hundreds of thousands of health each time you do it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Only for like your first 5 levels, which is like 45 minutes of gameplay. Mainly you need to stealth the first couple missions before you can murder everyone instantly

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jokes posted:

I never played cyberpunk, I was under the impression it’s one of those games where you can unload a full clip into some dudes head (who isn’t wearing a helmet) and only knock off 10% of their health, and you see pop ups of hundreds of thousands of health each time you do it

I think you are speaking about borderlands

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Borderlands 2 is way better than Cyberpunk

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

site posted:

Only for like your first 5 levels, which is like 45 minutes of gameplay. Mainly you need to stealth the first couple missions before you can murder everyone instantly

I miss those days. Now I'm an invincible, time-slowing gorilla that catapults off motorcycles into enemy gangs and murders them all before they're even aware of my presence.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

!Klams posted:

Post the jacket

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

precision posted:

:haibrow:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Cyberpunk is a bad game because it is a FPS. You don't even need to get into any of the other stuff.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tetrabor posted:

I miss those days. Now I'm an invincible, time-slowing gorilla that catapults off motorcycles into enemy gangs and murders them all before they're even aware of my presence.

yeah it's sick. cyberpunk is actually pretty good at having multiple viable builds. just want to shoot big guns and bullet mayhem? you can do that. want to be the invincible melee monster (with your fists, throwing knives, swords, and/or monowire)? you can do that. want to sit outside the hostile area and take down a whole base through hacking? you can do that

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Everything about borderlands makes me mad. I've never played it, it's just I look at it and I hate it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Devil's Crush Pinball is better than any borderlands game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Waltzing Along posted:

Cyberpunk is a bad game because it is a FPS. You don't even need to get into any of the other stuff.

don't denigrate a whole genre like that, portal 1 & 2 are some of the best games of all time

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

don't denigrate a whole genre like that, portal 1 & 2 are some of the best games of all time

there is no guns in portal so its not a shooter. its a first person portaler

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

kntfkr posted:

Everything about borderlands makes me mad. I've never played it, it's just I look at it and I hate it.

There's definitely something bizarrely off-putting about its irreverent postapunkalypse vibe. It's like someone looked at tank girl and said: what this needs is to be a lot stupider and pointless.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The PS2 still rips, most of the remasters and remakes aren't an upgrade that makes it better than physically owning a disc thats the final finished product

i've not even looked into soft modding and running games off a hard drive but the fact you can do that is great

can get old games as cheap as chips too apart from the weird really rare ones like Wild Arms and Dark Cloud that i suddenly wanna own and collect

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Frankly, more things should be ripping off tank girl

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Be it movie, tv, books, there has never been a better character than Claptrap.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Borderlands cel-shaded graphics look like rear end in that art style. It's just a bad looking game. And it's a FPS.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
borderlands artstyle is cool and distinctive

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Cel shading is always the correct choice.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Gearbox Software should have stopped at Blue Shift.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

precision posted:

this is the unpopular opinion thread, not the bizarro-opposite-universe thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

borderlands artstyle is cool and distinctive

If a tiny bit stolen

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Duck and Cover posted:

Be it movie, tv, books, there has never been a better character than Claptrap.

The best character. For inducing uncontrollable anger.

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
Borderlands has great style but the gameplay is pure rear end. Every enemy is a bullet sponge and they don't really react to getting hit. Gets old real fast.

Cyberpunk is rear end because of the soundtrack. How the hell can you have a car radio in a cyberpunk game and not blast any synthwave at all? Not a single song that sounds like Pertuberator?

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

synthwave is a 2010s thing to feel like the 80s, i feel like itd be out of place since cp77 is 80s but set in 2077.

i do appreciate that they have a black metal station though

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

The main issue with Cyberpunk 2077, as I always say, is that like most Cyberpunk-themed poo poo in the last 20 years Cyberpunk 2077 is less cyberpunk than the real world. My weekends are more cyberpunk than cyberpunk 2077.

The game is ok I guess

This is pretty much how I feel about it. Like, I didn't NOT enjoy it, and there were parts where I was having a good time, but I certainly wouldn't call it "great" and I wouldn't even call it "good." It was Strictly OK, which is... not a bad thing, but it was overhyped and undercooked relative to what it actually was.

Well. My weekends aren't more Cyberpunk than 2077 but the time I got to spend in Japan walking through these silent, virtually empty metropolises in the beginning of 2020 was kinda--no I guess that's more post-cyberpunk huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I made a synthwave song and on sound cloud used an image of a trapper keeper with a red lambo on it and I feel cdpr owes me at least a finksy