Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Newest Lightning Lap is out.

quote:

-LL1
Hyundai Genesis 3.8 R - 3.13.9
Subaru BRZ - 3.18.6
Ford Focus St - 3.21.4
Fiat 500 Abarth - 3.27.3

-LL2
Chevy Camaro ZL1 - 2.57.5
Chevy Camaro SS 1LE - 3.01.5
BMW 335i sedan - 3.13.2

-LL3
Merc C63 BlackSeries - 2.58.0
Porsche 911 S - 2.58.9
Ford Shelby GT500 - 3.00.6
Porsche Boxster S - 3.04.2
Audi RS5 - 3.04.3
BMW M6 - 3.04.7
BMW M5 - 3.05.2
Audi S6 - 3.09.8

-LL4
Ferrari 458 - 2.49.9
Jaguar XKR-S - 3.02.1

-LL5
Lexus LFA - 2.55.1

That new Camero is pretty fast~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What comparo had the GT500 beating the ZL1, MT's Driver car of the year? It's winning here by a huge margin. Kinda sad the SS trounces half of those LL3 cars, too.

e: I stumbled into this feature on the C7 from March:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-chevrolet-corvette-c7-future-cars
That rear end practically nails what we're expecting to be the production look. The angularity, the "Holden war paint," the square hatch glass.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 28, 2012

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Throatwarbler posted:

Unless they've changed things, C&D refuses to so much as adjust tire pressure in their tests, letalone replace often very lovely OEM tires or get a track alignment. I don't know how they can even pretend to accurately compare cars without doing the simple things every single driver that ever hits the track will do. Even right off the lot, the ZL1 is pretty damned fast, though!

Also, interesting that the Abarth got exactly the same time as the Jetta GLI did last year, tieing for the 2nd slowest car ever to do a lightning lap. For all the hype, I would have thought it would do a little better.

grover fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 28, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You could make the exact same argument for why C&D does what it does, however; there are lots of people who will never touch their cars for anything other than routine maintenance; there's a lot to be said for comparing the car "as it appears on lots" and not "after X, Y, and Z tweaks". After all, you need to draw the line somewhere before you're basically testing the tuning more than the car.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

IOwnCalculus posted:

You could make the exact same argument for why C&D does what it does, however; there are lots of people who will never touch their cars for anything other than routine maintenance; there's a lot to be said for comparing the car "as it appears on lots" and not "after X, Y, and Z tweaks". After all, you need to draw the line somewhere before you're basically testing the tuning more than the car.

That and also probably every manufacturer will start whining about the specific brand of tire and settings they used, demanding rematches, sending special ringers, and before long it will become another contest of which manufacturers care and bother to dump PR money in.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cream_Filling posted:

That and also probably every manufacturer will start whining about the specific brand of tire and settings they used, demanding rematches, sending special ringers, and before long it will become another contest of which manufacturers care and bother to dump PR money in.

They already do that to a certain extent. The only reason why the WRX started coming with summer tires on it was so they didn't get creamed as badly in the skidpad on magazine tests. Meanwhile, thousands of cars are being sold with tires inappropriate for their environment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It is in fact actually completely silly to test cars against each other in any condition other than driven off the showroom floor. If you're writing an article on track prep or something, sure, go nuts, but stock-vs-stock is the only thing that allows you to compare the car that the manufacturer built and is offering to the public.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ford actually got caught putting non-spec sticky tires on one of the new Lincolns as a slalom ringer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ford actually got caught putting non-spec sticky tires on one of the new Lincolns as a slalom ringer.

That's one thing I really like about CR's approach to testing cars. Go buy one off the showroom floor for cash. Eliminates a lot of the malarkey that goes on with press fleets or OEM-provided vehicles. Like all those times when magazines are like "we put this on the dyno and it's definitely underrated!!!" yeah nothing suspicious there at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

bull3964 posted:

They already do that to a certain extent. The only reason why the WRX started coming with summer tires on it was so they didn't get creamed as badly in the skidpad on magazine tests. Meanwhile, thousands of cars are being sold with tires inappropriate for their environment.

Eh, summer tires have always been an option, anyway. I see no problem with nominally saying the summer tires are the 'standard'. Though, honestly, they should just send out review models with summer tires.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It is in fact actually completely silly to test cars against each other in any condition other than driven off the showroom floor. If you're writing an article on track prep or something, sure, go nuts, but stock-vs-stock is the only thing that allows you to compare the car that the manufacturer built and is offering to the public.

If the owner's manual had some notes for performance driving, like lowered tire pressures, I would let the car be set up like that for testing.

I don't know what's fair about cars with factory adjustable suspension. With the new electronic stuff, like mag ride control, I think it's totally fine for the testers to pick whatever settings they can access from the cabin to set a fast time.
For camber/toe adjustments that require pitting the car and wrenching, I dunno. That's certainly how the ACR X set all its fast records, but seems beyond the point of level playing field in a comparo like this.

I recall from MT's review that they said the GT500 was fading fast in the later laps thanks to the boiling brakes. Obviously you have to summarize and boil things down for the fanboys, but lap data and qualitative asssessment are huge and shouldn't be overshadowed by the lap times.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Cream_Filling posted:

Eh, summer tires have always been an option, anyway. I see no problem with nominally saying the summer tires are the 'standard'. Though, honestly, they should just send out review models with summer tires.

They weren't just summer tires, they were Michelin Pilot Super Sports IIRC.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Cream_Filling posted:

Maaaaaate I got some news for you. What do you think car makers regularly do for vehicle journalists? They set up ringers all the time - It's SOP.

If you get your hands on a ex-press car, it's quite interesting to see how the car maker does it - tweak this and tweak that and you get a car a good second a lap faster than anything that comes off the production line. They check panel gaps and run the cars in and service before they get into the hands of anyone. A journalist gets a car that almost never will come off the production line and usually they get "preferred" options that the car maker is aiming to sell most off or shows the car off in it's best light.

Oh and then there's the whole "if you want our cars without question make sure you write nice things" said/unsaid that goes on.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

grover posted:

Also, interesting that the Abarth got exactly the same time as the Jetta GLI did last year, tieing for the 2nd slowest car ever to do a lightning lap. For all the hype, I would have thought it would do a little better.

There's a limit to how much you can do with a 160/180hp FWD hatchback when compared with cars that have twice or three times as much power, RWD and aren't based on a relatively cheap city car.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Throatwarbler posted:

Chevy Camaro SS 1LE is downright amazing for the price, shame its still the same lovely camaro visibility. Seriously put the same performance of an SS 1LE into a car with better visibility and i think id be willing to jump ship from the mustang.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 29, 2012

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

There's a limit to how much you can do with a 160/180hp FWD hatchback when compared with cars that have twice or three times as much power, RWD and aren't based on a relatively cheap city car.

Looks like the Abarth runs on 195 width all seasons? Power would help, but some better tires would do a lot, too.

coolskillrex remix posted:

Chevy Camaro SS 1LE is downright amazing for the price, shame its still the same lovely camaro visibility.
The visibility is not great but it's also not as bad as I once thought it was. Though I'm almost always thinking to accelerate past potential cars in the blind spots before shifting lanes.

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

coolskillrex remix posted:

Chevy Camaro SS 1LE is downright amazing for the price, shame its still the same lovely camaro visibility. Seriously put the same performance of an SS 1LE into a car with better visibility and i think id be willing to jump ship from the mustang.

Same here. I ended up buying a 2012 Mustang and love the car, but I'm still drooling over those Camaro's. My Chevy dealership had 2 red 1LE's sitting in the snow last time I went by there...goddam that is a slick package.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Can you not get the 1LE as a convertible? :colbert:

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
The third generation camaro convertible was pretty cool, my uncle had a Z28 one that was great fun. That is until you parked it on uneven pavement and you could not open/close the doors, Ahh chassis flex. The 5th gen verts look kind of weird top up and down.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Bob NewSCART posted:

I never said I would like it, I love driving, it's just amazing that something that insanely complicated technologically will actually make it to the market and be used on the street(possibly).

Going back to this, briefly. My mom just took delivery of a 2013 Ford Fusion SE, and it has this system (or at least 90% similar). It's got active radar cruise control, and above 40mph you can activate a lane-keeping assistant. It can either simply warn you (vibrates the wheel exactly like you're driving over road turtles), or it can actively attempt to keep you in your lane. It's a very weird feeling; the system works by making it harder to turn the wheel in the "bad" direction, but you can push past it. On a straight section of road, it's pretty drat good at driving all by itself. I can't speak for the system's ability to drive itself down a curve all by itself, but with me doing my best "I have no idea how to drive a car" impression, it was good at assisting me to keep it between the lines.

This is on a $30,000 car. And I mean actual $30,000, not "*As tested price: $45,000", I think she paid a hair under $30k when it was all said and done.

So, the future is now.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Wombot posted:

Going back to this, briefly. My mom just took delivery of a 2013 Ford Fusion SE, and it has this system (or at least 90% similar). It's got active radar cruise control, and above 40mph you can activate a lane-keeping assistant. It can either simply warn you (vibrates the wheel exactly like you're driving over road turtles), or it can actively attempt to keep you in your lane. It's a very weird feeling; the system works by making it harder to turn the wheel in the "bad" direction, but you can push past it. On a straight section of road, it's pretty drat good at driving all by itself. I can't speak for the system's ability to drive itself down a curve all by itself, but with me doing my best "I have no idea how to drive a car" impression, it was good at assisting me to keep it between the lines.

This is on a $30,000 car. And I mean actual $30,000, not "*As tested price: $45,000", I think she paid a hair under $30k when it was all said and done.

So, the future is now.
How much space does the radar cruise control leave?

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

It has 4 distances, between 2 and something like 6 or 8 car lengths.

E: Apparently the maximum detection range is 600 feet.

Wombot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 29, 2012

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Wombot posted:

So, the future is now.

The future is when these systems build enough confidence that people just let them drive themselves. You just have your car drive you to work/store/etc while you sleep/read/do your hair. Start rolling in micro/macro traffic prediction to improve efficiency, safety and reduce transit time. Knowledge of routes leads to intelligent carpooling even with complete strangers, for more efficiency savings and traffic reduction. At some point people realize having their own car is pointless and instead rent them zipcar-style, dispatched from repositories as needed and returned for maintenance and care.

The safety stuff is just to get the automation foot in the door, and no, there's no reason why you can't manually drive your big guzzler V8, you just generally won't want to.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
The reason I don't like self-driving cars is that for them to be safe, you would need to ban non-self driving cars. I don't like it.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Sinestro posted:

The reason I don't like self-driving cars is that for them to be safe, you would need to ban non-self driving cars. I don't like it.

I don't understand why you think the removal of traditionally operated cars is requisite for improved safety of automated cars. Even the current crop of autonomous cars are able to cope with the unpredictability of human drivers. Sure, it probably won't save you from a person rear ending you at a stop light, but then again, it won't be able to save you if a big-rig tips over on you on the highway either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Building in anticipatory safety controls will be such a big selling point. Looking radar/vision for rear-end situations, looking both ways before you turn onto a street, etc.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

kimbo305 posted:

Building in anticipatory safety controls will be such a big selling point. Looking radar/vision for rear-end situations, looking both ways before you turn onto a street, etc.

Suddenly, your 2500lb car is now a 3500lb car and you only get 50 miles between 12 hour recharges.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Viggen posted:

Suddenly, your 2500lb car is now a 3500lb car and you only get 50 miles between 12 hour recharges.

I doubt adding a few strategicly placed IR lasers or cameras is gonna add much weight or power draw. Adding those stunt springs to throw your car to safety might, though.

e: pretty complete external renderings of the C7:
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2014-chevrolet-corvette-c7-secret-info-and-renderings-news
Those have gotta be officially condoned. Seems like a big spoiler to the 1/13 unveil, though.
And the article still seems confused about the LT1 specs, at least wrt displacement.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 30, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Viggen posted:

Weight gain has been almost entirely due to passive safety systems, not active (and sound deadening etc).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm willing to meet them halfway. They can introduce self-driving cars if there's an option for a wristwatch communicator into which I can shout "KITT! Pick me up!" to bring the car to my location.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I know I'm in the minority when I say I don't care either way about the C7's rear end, but good god is that vent by the front wheel arch just ghastly. Made even worse when paired with those wheels.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
If GT-R-style vents become the next big thing, we'll be seeing them in AutoZone within a year :(

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

InitialDave posted:

I'm willing to meet them halfway. They can introduce self-driving cars if there's an option for a wristwatch communicator into which I can shout "KITT! Pick me up!" to bring the car to my location.

they'd have to invent self-rolling headlights and tune the exhaust to sound like a sigh/groan every time you did it.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

Will be nice to never have to worry about having a designated driver, though. Self-driving cars will prove a huge boon to bars and parties.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

grover posted:

Will be nice to never have to worry about having a designated driver, though. Self-driving cars will prove a huge boon to bars and parties.

..first generation can detect the alcohol in the cabin, and automatically drives to Atlantic City?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

grover posted:

I would still imagine you'd need to have a sober human riding along in the car in case the self-driving car goes all Skynet. It's like how you can't be totally plastered here when you're riding along with a learner's permit driver.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I would still imagine you'd need to have a sober human riding along in the car in case the self-driving car goes all Skynet. It's like how you can't be totally plastered here when you're riding along with a learner's permit driver.

..but enough about IRC. :haw:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Don't care what all these dudes say.

http://www.caranddriver.com/photos-12q4/493642/2014-chevrolet-corvette-c7-artists-rendering-photo-493700

That side profile is loving nice

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Because its the one thing they didn't change so much from the c6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Viggen posted:

..first generation can detect the alcohol in the cabin, and automatically drives to Atlantic City?

ever since Google began testing I've dreamed of a car with a giant navscreen containing two enormous buttons: "Home" and "Whataburger". I crawl in, palm mash whichever choice I make and lose consciousness until we arrive.