Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
But how else will you know what poo poo channel you're watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

goatface posted:

But how else will you know what poo poo channel you're watching?

And which show.

And which channel... again.

Penn and Teller was good tonight. I actually enjoyed the Martin/Paul Daniels bit which was unexpected.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Ddraig posted:

BBC is playing one of Bill Hick's old sets on BBC Four

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b010k162/Bill_Hicks_Revelations_Live_at_the_Dominion/

Worth checking out if you're a fan of comedy. He's one of those comedians that was much more appreciated in Britain than he was in America.

The stand up show is great, but the doc about him that was on before it was one of the most ridiculously dire hagiographies I've ever seen.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Binged through The Hour today.
I really enjoyed it. I guess the main advantage of watching episodes back-to-back (had to download the last one due to crap Virgin bandwidth) is that I could roll with the plot as it happened and not speculate/theorise about what might happen next. So that last episode was great, including the twist; obvious though it is on reflection.

Remarkable how much of an arsehole Freddie is, yet how watchable his scenes are (found myself skipping parts of the Belle/Hector scenes, mainly because of how telegraphed much of it was). And to be honest, any ambiguity in how the Belle/Hector storyline would play out was annihilated by the Belle/Freddie scene in the club - great chemistry between the actors, even given how emaciated Whishaw was (seriously, any scene with Garai and Whishaw facing the camera makes Garai look like a whale; it's surreal (and hilarious)).

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

kingturnip posted:

I really enjoyed it. I guess the main advantage of watching episodes back-to-back (had to download the last one due to crap Virgin bandwidth) is that I could roll with the plot as it happened and not speculate/theorise about what might happen next. So that last episode was great, including the twist; obvious though it is on reflection.

The part I really liked about the ending wasn't the "twist" reveal that you and others have rightly pointed out was easily guessable, it was the "Why Freddie?" part and the reason it didn't go as planned that I thought was excellent. Clarence's master plan all along wasn't actually recruiting him, he was convinced Freddie would reveal the assassination plot on air and screw the Eden government into the ground. He presumed Freddies headstrong ways would do the job and no-one would ever know about the background manipulation. Much better than a simple trying to "recruit him" storyline I thought.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

FractionMan posted:

And which show.

And which channel... again.

Penn and Teller was good tonight. I actually enjoyed the Martin/Paul Daniels bit which was unexpected.

Yeah, very good show, nice way for it to bow out with the Daniels' act. The furst guy seemed a bit rubbish with his patter but once he started sawing his body up the act really took off. And it was great to see his genuine enthusiasm for the trick he did and to tell P&T how it was done, rather than previous acts who have just tried to throw them off with fake moves.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Best thing about watching Dragon's Den on iplayer is being able to skip the literally two minutes of overblown intro.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Tsaedje posted:

Best thing about watching Dragon's Den on iplayer is being able to skip the literally two minutes of overblown intro.

For the Apprentice it's 3 minutes I think, and for Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum it's close to 5. Second series of The Hour has been confirmed http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/aug/27/bbc2-the-hour-second-series

Metrication fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 29, 2011

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

You should watch it. They've changed it this series and it has some mad visuals with them standing on top of buildings and stuff, like they're about to off themselves. I was hopeful somebody would give Peter Jones a push but no :smith:

e: My partner and me discussed the intro thing last time we watched The Apprentice and we decided that it would be better if I introduced these shows in less highfalutin language and a Geordie accent. For Dragon's Den "These here 5 rich bastards gi money till some folk but they hafta tell them their ideas forst and sometimes it's reet fonny like cause they gi them an 'ard time!"

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 29, 2011

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I know they do it so they've got something simple to cut out when they ship it off to BBC Worldwide, but it's still really grating. It's a growing trend as well, nearly all the documentaries are doing it now. I liked how they've done it on the Attembrough documentaries with a section at the end on how they filmed things, it's a nice bonus which can go on the DVD and cut out for international audiences who need to find time for adverts. Unfortunately the lazy solutions nearly always win out and you end up with moody camera angles of whatever species of creature that new Dragon is supposed to be.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I love the "how they filmed it" bits they add to documentaries, they show you just how good the natural world unit are.

I just can't watch most TV any more, if I don't have fast forward to skip the crap they put in I just wander off and get distracted by something else. Same thing with films. I sometimes watch 2 hour films in about 45 minutes because the rest just doesn't seem worth watching.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp

goatface posted:

I love the "how they filmed it" bits they add to documentaries, they show you just how good the natural world unit are.

I just can't watch most TV any more, if I don't have fast forward to skip the crap they put in I just wander off and get distracted by something else. Same thing with films. I sometimes watch 2 hour films in about 45 minutes because the rest just doesn't seem worth watching.

With films I generally watch in full, because (usually) the director has spent a lot of time thinking about the mood they want to create and framing shots and pacing things accordingly. TV shows that have 15 minutes of usable material padded out to an hour with endless recaps and other filler can gently caress right off.

Dragons' Den is possibly the worst, if only because it's something I would watch otherwise. Having that bloke pop up every 5 minutes to recant a blow-by-blow narration of the stuff I just watched is infuriating to the point where I just don't bother with the show any more.

edit: Amazed that so many years later, Shooting Stars still gets better and better.

Comfy Chairs fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 30, 2011

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Kept forgetting to ask this, but has anyone noticed the sence of humour they have on Corrie with background music? I watched it the other day when Audrey's transvestite bloke came out to everyone in the Rovers in full cock in a frock regalia, and the b/g music was 'Girls on Film' :v:

Yes, I know very low brow, but made me laugh.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
If any of you haven't yet watched the Comedy Proms, I highy recommend that you do.

Tim Minchin is an absolute machine, his comedic songs are all genuinely brilliant and hilarious, and when he sings Not Perfect at the end your heart will soar and melt.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

B...but Stewart Lee says that musical comedy is lazy and rubbish.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FreakyZoid posted:

Christine Bleakley... operating at the elastic limit of her ability...

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

FreakyZoid posted:

He said in an episode of Comedy Vehicle that he really liked Tim Minchin but I'm not entirely confident in my ability to distinguish between the various degrees of irony Mr Lee embodies.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
given that he co-wrote a very successful musical comedy stage show I don't think he can be that against the concept

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
He was referring to musical theatre like the Queen musical as being poo poo, not musical comedy.

cloudchamber fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 30, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Musical comedy is nearly always poo poo though.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I tuned in at the mime (his performance was broadcast on the radio by the way). Then went to the "modern day Flanders and Swan" who were poo poo. 4 or 5 jokes spread among 2 songs followed by a embarrassingly mawkish lament to presumably show that they've got depths. Thankfully they hosed off, to be replaced by a one-knock performance about the pianist playing something different to the orchestra. Maybe that was funny to proper musicos, but to me it was just cacophany. I turned off then; did I somehow managed to miss all the good parts?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

bitterandtwisted posted:

Watermarks have been annoying me ever since watching Sin City on BBC3 and being unable to tear my eyes from that bright pink logo that sat in the corner, sucking out the gritty noir atmosphere. This evening I was flicking through channels and found the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air on a channel called Viva. There were two watermarks. And not little transparent ones that disappear after a few seconds.

This is getting out of hand.

Go yell at them here: http://www.mtv.co.uk/contact

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Hoops posted:

Musical comedy is nearly always poo poo though.

I feel the same toward Tim Minchin as I do Bill Bailey. They're mediocre comedians who use music as a crutch, take away their instruments and watch them struggle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk4QHmFB8tE

'You can turn any old thing into a funny line

Just by making sure that the loving thing rhymes'.

Z-Magic fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 30, 2011

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

What a missed opportunity. Just saw a promo while flicking through channels for ITV's ( no doubt insightful) Fred and Rose West thingy. Why didn't they get Steve Pemberton to bring back Pauline to play Rose?

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Peter Serafinowicz stole the show as Brian Butterfield on Shooting Stars last night. This series has been phenomenal.

Z-Magic posted:

I feel the same toward Tim Minchin as I do Bill Bailey. They're mediocre comedians who use music as a crutch, take away their instruments and watch them struggle.

Tom Lehrer got it right in that he said musical comedy only works when the songs are decent in their own right. This is why Bill Bailey is mostly poo poo when he does stand-up, his songs are all about the punchlines but aren't much fun to listen to. I'll defend Tim Minchin, though - most of his songs are genuinely clever and listenable from a musical standpoint and they work pretty well for me, with a couple of really lovely exceptions like Canvas Bags and Bears Don't Dig On Dancing. He is a mediocre comedian, and he prattles on about religion a bit, but he's a skilled enough musician that he doesn't need to be super-incisive.

Leovinus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 31, 2011

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

cloudchamber posted:

He was referring to musical theatre like the Queen musical as being poo poo, not musical comedy.
I was specifically thinking of his bit about how if you sit tuning an instrument on stage audiences are a lot more accepting of really weak material.

My post was a joke anyway, nobody should be defining what they do or don't find funny based on what Stewart Lee does or doesn't find funny.

As for musical comedy - I like the Conchords. I don't like Mitch Benn.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

It seems the annual run of 9/11 documentaries on every channel is getting even heavier promotion this year since it was 10 years ago. 10 years is a decade :smug:

Steve Higginson
Oct 21, 2005
NO NO NO we do not have images of fat guys sucking each others dicks in our custom titles!

Leovinus posted:

Tom Lehrer got it right in that he said musical comedy only works when the songs are decent in their own right.

This is why I love Dead Cat Bounce. Their songs are actually pretty good musically and as a band the guys are quite talented. If anyone in Edinburgh this month didn't catch their two hour mash-up covers set at Live n Live you really missed out.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

kingturnip posted:

Remarkable how much of an arsehole Freddie is, yet how watchable his scenes are (found myself skipping parts of the Belle/Hector scenes, mainly because of how telegraphed much of it was). And to be honest, any ambiguity in how the Belle/Hector storyline would play out was annihilated by the Belle/Freddie scene in the club - great chemistry between the actors, even given how emaciated Whishaw was (seriously, any scene with Garai and Whishaw facing the camera makes Garai look like a whale; it's surreal (and hilarious)).

I did the same over the weekend. I really liked it and felt that it came off as a thinly veiled apology/attack towards the current generation BBC news coverage being poo poo. But then it's revealed that the entire thing that we want to see; that all that the sensible people in the country today currently want the news to do; is actually equatable to a soviet plot to destabilise the government.

So it's enjoyable, but I'm a little wary about the messages it's sending.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Jack Dee wears Pantone socks.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
For their 9/11 remembrance, Channel 4 will show Chris Morris' 4 Lions on the 4th of September, and everybody should watch it as it's really good and funny.
They'll also do a lot of other stuff probably but 4444444
e: and one of the thing's I am most enjoying about this season of Shooting Stars is how they make time for their hobbies: Reeves has been showing off his paintings for years, and I can only assume that Mortimer is really into puppets. Also, I'm surprised by how much stronger Bob comes over than Vic, given how he's normally described as a sidekick.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 31, 2011

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I've been meaning to post about this for ages, and have just remembered about it having watched them all again:

Presenting, by YouTube user Applemask, "ITV In the Face" - a potted history of the ITV network in different regions, along with breakfast and Night time included for good measure. He looks at the history of the channels, how they looked (idents etc) and throws in some amusing comments about the story of the evolution of the network on the way through.

Yes, he's trying to be Charlie Brooker, and yes he's a bit smug and nerdy in places, and his west-country voice is a little grating, but stick with it. He's really good, and clearly passionate about the project.

Here is one of them, for the Midlands region, and if you like them, look at his channel and watch the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97RHQt_izNE

Watch the nostalgia ooze from your monitor!

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

thehustler posted:

Yes, he's trying to be Charlie Brooker,

In fairness, we do need a new one since the original stopped talking about TV as much.

Holy Doughnuts!
Oct 20, 2010

Sergeant Butterman, the little hand says it's time to rock and roll.

ChuckDHead posted:

In fairness, we do need a new one since the original stopped talking about TV as much.

He didn't want to be known for just being bitter and angry. There is no danger of this happening to Applemask, as noone can take an angry person seriously if they have a West-Country accent.
I moved down here, and still laugh at "Mate, I was absolootely livaaad!"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Holy Doughnuts! posted:

He didn't want to be known for just being bitter and angry. There is no danger of this happening to Applemask, as noone can take an angry person seriously if they have a West-Country accent.
I moved down here, and still laugh at "Mate, I was absolootely livaaad!"

He's also not apparently a bitter person anyway, how can you be when you can gush of indents like that?

Just watched the videos for Southern/TVS/Meridian, the latter two being the franchises I grew up with, had no idea there was such an interesting history there (mostly concerning Southern and TVS to be honest) I can just about remember the switch to Meridian, we often went by the, at the time, impressive-looking studio going to Southampton. Makes me miss the days of the distinct franchises, bad enough ITV's content is almost uniformly crap, back then it at least had identity.

Anyway, was bouncing around Wikipedia as I am wont to do and looked up Count Duckula, to be reminded of how it was good in ways I never even realised or appreciated. And I found this:

Wikipedia posted:

Aardman Animation has confirmed through their forums that a Count Duckula film is in the works.

Post-Twilight that could have some interesting potential. I don't think Aardman have done anything outside of the Nick Park style, though Down the Drain was CGI so they have the means to do it.

On the other hand, they would probably cast Russell Brand as Duckula.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

It's depressing how every single ITV in the Face bar UTV, Channel, and STV ends with Carlton and Granada being dickheads and those sodding heart idents.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

thehustler posted:

I've been meaning to post about this for ages, and have just remembered about it having watched them all again:

Presenting, by YouTube user Applemask, "ITV In the Face" - a potted history of the ITV network in different regions, along with breakfast and Night time included for good measure. He looks at the history of the channels, how they looked (idents etc) and throws in some amusing comments about the story of the evolution of the network on the way through.

Yes, he's trying to be Charlie Brooker, and yes he's a bit smug and nerdy in places, and his west-country voice is a little grating, but stick with it. He's really good, and clearly passionate about the project.

Here is one of them, for the Midlands region, and if you like them, look at his channel and watch the rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97RHQt_izNE

Watch the nostalgia ooze from your monitor!

It's good but his delivery is awful and there's a weird echo on his voiceover.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's good but his delivery is awful and there's a weird echo on his voiceover.

Yeah, his setup is quite cheap. And I do kinda like his delivery. He clearly enjoys what he's doing.

Seriously, I think it's a perfect example of the kinda thing YouTube should be about, not just endless music videos.

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum
Treme Season 2 starts tomorrow night on Sky Atlantic.

Dominic West playing Fred West in Appropriate Adult begins it's two-parter on Sunday on ITV1.

And French murder mystery (maybe, I don't know much about it but it sounds interesting) Spiral will be sped through on BBC4 Saturday night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Buzzcocks is coming back and it's going to be... different...

Broadcast posted:

Talkback to revamp Buzzcocks for new series

Talkback Thames is planning to revamp long-running music quiz Never Mind The Buzzcocks ahead of its new series in October.

The super-indie wants to retain the essence of the BBC2 panel show, but give series 25 more of an “event feel” to keep it fresh.

Comedy entertainment specialist James Longman has been drafted in as series producer to help the team introduce new rounds to the 15-year-old quiz, as well as changing the show’s logo and refreshing the set with “a lick of paint”.

Talkback will continue to use guest hosts and it is understood they will be given more time to establish themselves on screen than in previous series. Team captains Phill Jupitus and Noel Fielding are set to return.

Decisions on the new games are yet to be finalised, but it is thought that the famous intros and line-up rounds will remain in place.

The last series of Buzzcocks, which predominantly aired on Thursday at 10pm, was above slot average with an audience of 1.72 million (7.7%).

Longman has just finished showrunning the second series of The Rob Brydon Show, another Talkback production for BBC2.

Will it be good will it be poo poo? Who knows! but I already don't like the idea of the logo being changed because I always giggled when pictures of musicians were put up with a big pink cock between them.