Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Tunga posted:

If you do want to do that at the same time then feel free to ask in the root thread and I'll throw up a quick guide for you.

Thanks. I was having a hard time finding the process if USB debugging was turned off. I'll probably go ahead and root during the process, but once I can get into it again I'm pretty comfortable with that process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Thanks. I was having a hard time finding the process if USB debugging was turned off. I'll probably go ahead and root during the process, but once I can get into it again I'm pretty comfortable with that process.
If you're going to unlock/root it anyway then you can just go straight in with "fastboot oem unlock" since the unlock process includes a mandatory factory reset.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Loucks posted:

What is the go-to case for the Nexus 10? Otterbox doesn't seem to make one, and I just wouldn't feel comfortable throwing it in a bag without any protection.

edit: This one looks pretty good. Anyone have one?

I have that case (orange though, not pink)

It's pretty good. I used to have an ipad with the apple smart cover and this isn't as rigid as that. It will allow it to stand up with the folded part of the screen cover at the bottom so you can watch a movie or whatever, but if you just want a mild tilt to have it lay mostly flat with the top of the screen slightly elevated by the folded screen cover it won't work for that like an apple smart cover will. It only has 2 folds in it so none of the cover folds back in on itself for rigidity when using it as a stand in that way.

It does automatically lock the screen when you close it. It surprisingly doesn't add a lot of bulk.

Photos tell the story better than my words.

This works well

This doesn't work well. tap on the screen a few times and it loses stability and just goes flat.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 14, 2013

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

How are the Nexus 7 docks? I have aspirations of using one for light music/alarm duty.

I like mine just fine. A bit pricey in my opinion, though. I would think that for the price, they'd throw in another wall charger for the thing. But no. It's just the dock in the box. But it works great and I'm rather glad I bought it.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with cases from this guy? http://www.etsy.com/shop/joevleather.
Specifically this one.

Just got a Nexus 10 and I want the case to be as awesome as the device.

Zosologist fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 14, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Trip report: Pantech Element 1 week use.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/pantech/element-black.html#fbid=FQBKWXuU0rl

Paid $135 with free shipping, came with ICS out of the box, I quickly put the tablet in airplane mode.

I'm getting around 4 hours of on screen time, I find the tablet to have performance roughly equal to a Galaxy Nexus. Which means it'll do anything I want but lags a little bit opening/scrolling webpages.

FYI you can easily use a sharpy on the surface of the tablet and cover the ATT and Pantech logos. In the end I have what looks like 1/2 way between an ipad and ipad mini. I've tended to turn on rotation lock and always use it in landscape. I've found it to be much more usable in landscape then 7in 16/9 tablets because you get much more screen real estate. You can disable every ATT preinstall application except an ATT connection manager, but I'm pretty sure once you stick it in Airplane mode that application shouldn't drain too much battery.

I use it for Netflix, Viewing files over the network (movies/tv), comics, and as an XMBC remote. I'm a fan of AOSP devices and once you disable the ATT applications the only real non-AOSP customization is the home button looks more like a house. It's a little more comfortable to hold than my iPad 1. It does occasionally lag, but I don't mind esp. for a $135 waterproof tablet.

If you want a AOSP like tablet that you don't have to root/rom around 8in in the 4 by 3 form factor (better for video IMO) that's waterproof and are willing to be stuck on ICS forever it's a pretty good tablet.

It charges by micro usb (thank you) with it's included charger to 100% in about an hour and with other chargers in a couple hours.

It also has HDMI out but it's a mini HDMI so I haven't been able to try it yet.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 14, 2013

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

GutBomb posted:

I have that case (orange though, not pink)
:words:

That is really helpful. Thanks!

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
Since they didn't announce it at the keynote, does that mean there's probably not going to be a refresh of the Nexus 7?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Danhenge posted:

Since they didn't announce it at the keynote, does that mean there's probably not going to be a refresh of the Nexus 7?

They would have announced it at the keynote if it were going to happen.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

kitten smoothie posted:

They would have announced it at the keynote if it were going to happen.

All rumors of the hardware were that it was a relatively minor spec bump (faster SOC, 2GB RAM, not many other improvements).

I don't think it's necessarily a keynote'ish item. It'll probably get rolled into the 4.3 announcement whenever that happens.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Mill Town posted:

So, my Nexus 10 is plugged in to the wall adapter it came with, and as I use it, it's losing charge, even though it says it's "charging". Is this normal? I could accept this if it charged in an hour or two when it was not in use, but it actually takes about 10 hours to charge fully when I'm not using it. Battery life is good once it's fully charged, but since the headphones make crackling noises when it's plugged in, and I have to keep it plugged in constantly at home so that I actually have some battery life when I'm on the go, it's kind of a pain in the rear end. Do any of these problems have a solution?

I have the same issue, and just dropped the cash on one of those chargers, will report back when it arrives.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Zosologist posted:

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with cases from this guy? http://www.etsy.com/shop/joevleather.
Specifically this one.

Just got a Nexus 10 and I want the case to be as awesome as the device.

As far as awesome cases go, if price isn't an issue look at these http://shop.portenzo.com/ . I have one on my Nexus 7 with the optional intellistand and it owns.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Civil posted:

All rumors of the hardware were that it was a relatively minor spec bump (faster SOC, 2GB RAM, not many other improvements).

I don't think it's necessarily a keynote'ish item. It'll probably get rolled into the 4.3 announcement whenever that happens.

Moot now, but were there not rumors of a significant display upgrade?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, it seemed the most likely from the choice available.

I don't have a large budget at the moment but want a cheap and cheerful Android tablet to use as a book reader and play games on as well as I've sold my ipad to help my son buy a laptop. Most of my gaming would probably be the Kairosoft, and/or strategy type, being able to run the Asphalt 7 type stuff would be a bonus. Is 800x480 res going to cut it or should I save up more pennies to buy something better? I've spotted a NATPC M010S 7" 4.0 tablet on Amazon for £55 which seems pretty decent for the price but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I've read a big chunk of the last 50 pages or so of the Android thread and it's mostly just worried me that unless I buy the top end units I run the risk of things just plain not working? Also is being able to root the tablet a must have?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M010S-Capacitive-Sandwich-Responsive/dp/B007JVDM1W/ref=pd_cp_computers_2

I guess the tl;dr is if this unit is any good or anyone knows something decent in the sub $100/£75 ish price range. Thanks!

Edit : VVV Fair enough, I'll save my coins for now then.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 15:31 on May 16, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Loucks posted:

Moot now, but were there not rumors of a significant display upgrade?

Yeah the rumored display upgrade was pretty big.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fazana posted:

Apologies if this is the wrong thread, it seemed the most likely from the choice available.

I don't have a large budget at the moment but want a cheap and cheerful Android tablet to use as a book reader and play games on as well as I've sold my ipad to help my son buy a laptop. Most of my gaming would probably be the Kairosoft, and/or strategy type, being able to run the Asphalt 7 type stuff would be a bonus. Is 800x480 res going to cut it or should I save up more pennies to buy something better? I've spotted a NATPC M010S 7" 4.0 tablet on Amazon for £55 which seems pretty decent for the price but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I've read a big chunk of the last 50 pages or so of the Android thread and it's mostly just worried me that unless I buy the top end units I run the risk of things just plain not working? Also is being able to root the tablet a must have?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NATPC-M010S-Capacitive-Sandwich-Responsive/dp/B007JVDM1W/ref=pd_cp_computers_2

I guess the tl;dr is if this unit is any good or anyone knows something decent in the sub $100/£75 ish price range. Thanks!

If you can't afford a Nexus 7, you can't afford a tablet.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
There's probably going to be an updated N7 soon, this commercial shows off an N7 with a notification light (at the 20 second mark):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkpjZ7oA_Qg

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Mister Fister posted:

There's probably going to be an updated N7 soon, this commercial shows off an N7 with a notification light (at the 20 second mark):

Pretty sure that guy is going camping with a pyromaniac. I hope he has insurance.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
I think the notification light was for the other girl's N4.

edit: nm, watched it again, I was wrong.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mister Fister posted:

Hes also using his nexus 4 upside down.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

If you can't afford a Nexus 7, you can't afford a tablet.

I'm pretty happy with my $135 w/ free ship Pantech Element. It's not good as a general purpose tablet but if you just want to watch video over the network/netflix/remote desktop/xmbc remote it does a fine job.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Stick100 posted:

I'm pretty happy with my $135 w/ free ship Pantech Element. It's not good as a general purpose tablet but if you just want to watch video over the network/netflix/remote desktop/xmbc remote it does a fine job.

Didn't you only get 4 hours of battery life?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Stick100 posted:

I've seen refurbed N7s on Slickdeals for that price a few times.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Usually the used poo poo on amazon are in good condition and I think anything you order through amazon used you can return, or most everything

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

You can return anything to amazon or to an amazon seller within 30 days for any reason, even you just not wanting it anymore (though there can be restock fees)

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Didn't you only get 4 hours of battery life?

Yup something like 4 hours using remote desktop. Not great, but good enough for me.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Radbot posted:

I've seen refurbed N7s on Slickdeals for that price a few times.

Well that's a much better deal of course. But I wanted a waterproof tablet and didn't mind the low res. I'm also much happier with the size/aspect ratio of the screen (8in 4/3 is much bigger). Then again I still am very happy with a very old my 50in 720p tv that I usually use with a Wii for SD Netflix so take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Specifically I was trying to say that you don't have to spend $200 to get what you want in an Android tablet. If you want a Nexus 7 class experience then the N7 is of course the best but those Nook HD tablets were a pretty good substitute when they were running like $150.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
My girlfriend has a kindle fire HD, does anyone know of the Google services multiplayer features will make it to it or am I going to have to root the thing and stick Google play on it?

My guess is no as it doesn't even have an official Gmail or Google+ app but I want to check before I void her warranty.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

My girlfriend has a kindle fire HD, does anyone know of the Google services multiplayer features will make it to it or am I going to have to root the thing and stick Google play on it?

My guess is no as it doesn't even have an official Gmail or Google+ app but I want to check before I void her warranty.

Its highly unlikely.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mega Comrade posted:

Well currently it'd need to be rooted and I don't see that changing anytime soon

e: Don Lapre, eh? I'll remember that name :argh:

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Nvidia's Shield is supposed to be shipping the end of next month, so I'd imagine other Tegra 4 devices (like a Transformer) should be available not long after.

e: Speak of the devil! Not an Asus Transformer, but

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/hp-slatebook-x2/4505-3126_7-35761334.html

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2013

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
So I just got my Nexus 7 today and Google Now keeps telling me location service is off. I went into settings and it shows that it's on. Any ideas?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PurpleJesus posted:

So I just got my Nexus 7 today and Google Now keeps telling me location service is off. I went into settings and it shows that it's on. Any ideas?

Try going to 'Settings' → 'Accounts' → 'Google' → scroll down to 'Location Settings'

Make sure 'Let Google apps access your location' is 'On'.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

Yep, that's on too.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

PurpleJesus posted:

Yep, that's on too.

Might have been a bug with the Google Search app update recently. Found this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/279549-google-now-keeps-telling-me-location-service-off.html

A factory reset seems to have fixed the issue unfortunately.

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

teagone posted:

Might have been a bug with the Google Search app update recently. Found this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one/279549-google-now-keeps-telling-me-location-service-off.html

A factory reset seems to have fixed the issue unfortunately.

Ugh, I think I'll wait to see if they update it again and fix it. It works on my phone and it's way more important there. Thanks for the help!

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I like collecting cases for my N7 and I'm thinking about dropping money on one of those portenzas but I'm very hesitant with the refresh rumors. Do we have any eta on an announcement?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

kstatix posted:

I like collecting cases for my N7 and I'm thinking about dropping money on one of those portenzas but I'm very hesitant with the refresh rumors. Do we have any eta on an announcement?

Right now, they're nothing more than rumors. If there were to be a refresh, it would've been mentioned right along with the AOSP Galaxy S 4 at the keynote at I/O.

There were hints of an upcoming Android release (4.3) and Android and Me claims to have held the white Nexus 4 (it's an A&M claim, so take that with a lot of salt...kosher, of course) and that 4.3 will launch with it on June 10th.

Other than that, since I/O ended, there hasn't been anymore rumors of the refreshed 7 or the LTE Nexus 4 people wanted so badly.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Nvidia's Shield is supposed to be shipping the end of next month, so I'd imagine other Tegra 4 devices (like a Transformer) should be available not long after.

e: Speak of the devil! Not an Asus Transformer, but

http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/hp-slatebook-x2/4505-3126_7-35761334.html

Read a bit more on this on other sites. Am I crazy for thinking the price for this tablet + keyboard dock seems like a really good deal? And the screen sounds pretty ridiculous (1920x1200 IPS display, 400 nits), which I'm sure the Tegra 4 will have no problem driving. If it can somehow dual boot with Ubuntu or Chrome OS, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

[edit]
I just realized it's a pipedream of mine to have a tablet/keyboard dock combo that runs Android when undocked and Chrome OS when docked. That would be lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
It looks good to me for that price too. I might pick one up.