Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I don't know, I genuinely think hobo Lightning is a cool design.

(I may have no taste.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

CottonWolf posted:

I don't know, I genuinely think hobo Lightning is a cool design.

(I may have no taste.)
If it makes you feel any better, I like it as well.

(Though I may also have no taste.)

Purple D. Link fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 17, 2013

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Maybe y'all are just gonna have to deal with it.

Each new piece of Lightning Returns promotional material is like a tiny gift that keeps on giving.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Light "We Couldn't Decide If We Wanted Her To Wear A Thong Or Show Off Her Panties" Ning

Are these designed by Nomura? Because I think it's time the guy retired already.

Looks like a recolor of Ashe's outfit from FF12.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hobo Lightning is great. The second one not so much, but the chaps are hilarious.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

1up's Tumblr posted:

Lightning has an outfit called “Heart Plunderer” that dresses her in a perfect replica of Locke Cole’s outfit in Yoshitaka Amano’s concept art for Final Fantasy VI. I don’t care what gameplay effects that costume has, I’m totally gonna play through the game as fake Locke. (Although the elaborate purple ballgown with an enormous rose-embossed shield was pretty fantastic in a ridiculous way, too.)

I am actually pretty ok with this.

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD
Guys, remember the poll with the male characters? Well, the one with the female ones is out and while I'm not surprised by n°1, I was by the rest of it:

Japan's Final Fantasy forums posted:

1. Lightning (FFXIII)
2. Aerith (FFVII)
3. Yuna (FFX)
4. Tifa (FFVII)
5. Celes (FFVI)
6. Tina (FFVI)
7. Serah (FFXIII)
8. Garnet (FFIX)
8. Faris (FFV)
10. Rinoa (FFVIII)
10. Rydia (FFIV)
12. Selphie (FFVIII)
13. Rikku (FFX)
14. Beatrix (FFIX)
14. Yuffie (FFVII)
16. Ashe (FFXII)
17. Rosa (FFIV)
17. Eiko (FFIX)
17. Agrias (FFT)

I thought the "cute/girly/uguu" characters would be closer to the top.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Veks posted:

Guys, remember the poll with the male characters? Well, the one with the female ones is out and while I'm not surprised by n°1, I was by the rest of it:

I thought the "cute/girly/uguu" characters would be closer to the top.

Agrias, Freay, and Garnet aren't 1 2 3, poo poo poll :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Trasson posted:

It's not automatically the right move to equip all your mages with Gold Hairpins, not just because of the huge defensive hit, but also because you get one halfway through and another two thirds through and that's probably about it.

There's a third one available.

It's a rare steal from Gogo. :eng101:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr Pepper posted:

There's a third one available.

It's a rare steal from Gogo. :eng101:

He also reacts to Steal with his usual repertoire of murderspells, right? :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Nope. Just a single powerful physical attack. He only starts the murder spree if you damage him enough.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Veks posted:

I'm not surprised by n°1

I am. I am constantly surprised that Lightning has any fanbase. Even if I technically knew that she was mega-popular in Japan, it's surprising to see it.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Calaveron posted:

Light "We Couldn't Decide If We Wanted Her To Wear A Thong Or Show Off Her Panties" Ning

Are these designed by Nomura? Because I think it's time the guy retired already.

I'm pretty sure this is a tribute to Vagrant Story's Ashley, no doubt.

Oh, ffs. Bring back the dresspheres.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

kater posted:

I am. I am constantly surprised that Lightning has any fanbase. Even if I technically knew that she was mega-popular in Japan, it's surprising to see it.

Is she? I kind of stopped following the games as the combined might of FFXIII-2 and the announcement of FFXIII-3(I refuse to call it Lightning Returns) has finally broke me and my love for this series.
I always thought that SE were putting her everywhere because she was the creator's pet and they were trying really hard to convince everyone she was cool. Strange.

Hobo Lightning looks okay. Not to sure about fenceshield Linghtning. Sunglasses Lightning looks alright though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I can't see any reason to suggest FF:ATB to anyone unless they just feel like throwing away money. It is A Bad Game.

Dross posted:

You guys realize those endless ports and rereleases usually aren't developed in-house, right?

Not a valid excuse for churning out terrible and blatant price-gouging bullshit.

I hope something happens and Square Enix goes out of business. I'd take just about anyone else being in charge of FF (and DQ) at this point.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Even with the ridiculous direction they've taken the character, Lightning's still one of the better female characters in the series, though that kinda says more about the lackluster way the series handles its female characters. She does have a nice arc and her personality's not too shabby, stubborn and resolute without being a heartless rear end in a top hat.

The problem is that they have their first "breakout" character since Cloud and thus are merchandising the poo poo out of her, and thus end up morphing her into a merchandising tool, much like how they changed Cloud's personality in the FF7 spinoffs to appeal to their fans. Of course, this is far from the first time they've developed characters as a way to push games, but it's kinda depressing how utterly blatant it is these days. But then I guess it's safer to release sequels and mobile game money sinks than make FF15.

Makes me miss the days when Square-Enix weren't afraid to take risks, even if their risks hosed them up bad (hello, Spirits Within).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mega64 posted:

they changed Cloud's personality in the FF7 spinoffs to appeal to their fans

This is what I don't get. Vincent was already the brooding anti-social loner so why did they need to do the same thing to Cloud? It's just such a radical shift from how Cloud was in the original game (barring the events at North Crater right before disc 2, because he got better after that).

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'd take just about anyone else being in charge of FF (and DQ) at this point.

Maybe if that happened we'd actually get a DQ7 remake. And a FFV remake.

A man can dream.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mega64 posted:

Makes me miss the days when Square-Enix weren't afraid to take risks, even if their risks hosed them up bad (hello, Spirits Within).

Or 7th Saga and the Soul Blazer trilogy in the case of Enix. Also whatever the mech game was they made for PS2 where you uses the L/R buttons to walk.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twelve by Pies posted:

This is what I don't get. Vincent was already the brooding anti-social loner so why did they need to do the same thing to Cloud?

Because that's how he is in their ~fanfictions~

Twelve by Pies posted:

Um, they are making a DQVII remake.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

A man can dream.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Even with the ridiculous direction they've taken the character, Lightning's still one of the better female characters in the series, though that kinda says more about the lackluster way the series handles its female characters. She does have a nice arc and her personality's not too shabby, stubborn and resolute without being a heartless rear end in a top hat.

See, my problem is that I disagree with this statement. I don't know why, but when I played FFXIII Lightning always struck me (har har) as extremely callous and remorselessly vindictive. She seemed pissed about every goddamn thing and used it as an excuse to continue being an rear end in a top hat to the rest of the party.

Sarah becomes a L'Cie.
loving SARAH! :argh:

Snowe fucks up
loving SNOWE! :argh:

Fal'Cie keep humans as pets
loving FAL'CIE :argh:

Barthandelus hatches evil plot
loving BARTHANDELUS! :argh:

I guess the other thing is that I never forgave her for encouraging Hope to murder Snowe. I mean this causes a short circuit in my mind: Lightning-a supposedly trained and disciplined soldier-encourages a young boy to seek out his misguided revenge on Snowe. Why does she do it? Because she doesn't like Snowe. I mean what the gently caress? In ANY other game, this would have been seen as a villainous quality and she NEVER gets called out on it.
I will admit that she sort of loosens up during the final leg of the game, but it's too little, to late. In my eyes, she was extremely unlikable for the majority of the game.
This is also the reason I disliked the Lightning worship of FFXIII-2. Everyone claims how she's so loving great when in reality she really didn't do all that much.

I'm totally up for people correcting me if I'm wrong though. I admit that the first half of FFXIII kind of blurs for me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Or 7th Saga and the Soul Blazer trilogy in the case of Enix. Also whatever the mech game was they made for PS2 where you uses the L/R buttons to walk.

7th Saga I'll agree to being a risk but I thought the Gaia Trilogy was one of the better received Enix games to be localised (where they were in the case of Terringma) before the merger.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 17, 2013

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

What I remember of that arc it was less 'yeah go kill Snow!' and more 'poo poo or get off the pot'. Hope had alot of anger towards Snow for his part in Hope's mom dying but he wasn't actually doing anything to resolve that, he was just stewing in his anger instead of moving on or focusing on the present problems at hamd. Lightning pushing him into taking action was more 'Will you really want to kill him when the opportunity is actually in your hands?'

It's been awhile since I played it though so my memory might be giving things too much credit.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Um, they are making a DQVII remake.

Oh my god. I had no idea. This is the best news I have heard all day.

Please oh please don't let them tie the immigrant town to Streetpass...

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Brother Entropy posted:

What I remember of that arc it was less 'yeah go kill Snow!' and more 'poo poo or get off the pot'. Hope had alot of anger towards Snow for his part in Hope's mom dying but he wasn't actually doing anything to resolve that, he was just stewing in his anger instead of moving on or focusing on the present problems at hamd. Lightning pushing him into taking action was more 'Will you really want to kill him when the opportunity is actually in your hands?'

It's been awhile since I played it though so my memory might be giving things too much credit.

Yeah, Lightning isn't going to play Mom, and she shouldn't. I didn't think that part was villanous at all, I thought it was normal for her character and led to a lot of development for the other characters. I'd more blame SSNeoman's particular argument on the trainwreck of a character that is Hope. That entire sequence with his dad in Palumpolum is just really awkward, and I think they should've gotten rid of a lot of the filler between chapters 2 and 12.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SSNeoman posted:

I'm totally up for people correcting me if I'm wrong though. I admit that the first half of FFXIII kind of blurs for me.

Unless they hosed up things a lot in the translation, Lightning never encourages Hope to kill Snow. She tells him to deal with his problems with Snow under the assumption that he's going to yell at Snow or something like that, not stab the guy.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, I don't remember Lightning ever explicitly encouraging Hope to kill Snow. She told him that in order to keep yourself moving forward, you should choose a goal for yourself and work towards it. Hope made the decision to kill Snow on his own, and when he first mentions it to Lightning, you can see that she's visibly disturbed at his decision, even if she doesn't say anything. She doesn't try to talk him out of it until after she has her, "Oh my god, we're being raised like livestock for slaughter" epiphany, but once she does, she's adamant that him killing Snow to avenge his mother won't solve his problems.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh my god. I had no idea. This is the best news I have heard all day.

Please oh please don't let them tie the immigrant town to Streetpass...

It isn't really clear just yet, but it looks like you can get folks for your immigrant town via Streetpass, but you can also get them in game the normal way. The main Streetpass feature is trading shards that can be used to unlock new dungeons. (Mercifully, you can collect your own shards by exploring this one cave with monsters you've caught for the monster park).

Um... anyway... Final Fantasy! I haven't really-really played previous titles in the Lightning Saga (hahaha), but I'll probably pick up Lightning Returns. I generally like a lot of what I've heard so far, even if the designs/story/cutscenes are horrid.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

TurnipFritter posted:

Um... anyway... Final Fantasy! I haven't really-really played previous titles in the Lightning Saga (hahaha), but I'll probably pick up Lightning Returns. I generally like a lot of what I've heard so far, even if the designs/story/cutscenes are horrid.

So what exactly is it that you've heard and liked?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

She doesn't try to talk him out of it until after she has her, "Oh my god, we're being raised like livestock for slaughter" epiphany, but once she does, she's adamant that him killing Snow to avenge his mother won't solve his problems.

Ah. I guess I don't remember that. I suppose many of the problems I have with her could be attributed to Hope after all.

I guess if you guys are right, then she's not a bad protagonist, but she didn't make much of an impression on me. I guess I would like her a lot more if not for the merchandising and for the sequel hero worship. SE and FF fans really do ruin everything, don't they?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

SSNeoman posted:

SE and FF fans really do ruin everything, don't they?

If you group fans of any series, you can make any of them terrible. But yeah, I'd say FF fan groups can commonly be some of the worst. I thought XIII was a really solid RPG, and even with my complaints, I played it all the way through and never felt as if I was stuck, and even if parts were bland or awkward, it was very well polished and localized and the plot itself was solid. Some people want FF7 half-cartoony half-serious quirks back because they're living in the past, some people want fanservice, some people want the series to grow up. If you group fans and make SE/FF into an institution, yeah, you can end up getting a bad taste in your mouth from any title.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bland posted:

So what exactly is it that you've heard and liked?

The vaguely Majora's Mask-ness. The concept of it being "world-driven" rather than "story-driven."

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

SSNeoman posted:

Ah. I guess I don't remember that. I suppose many of the problems I have with her could be attributed to Hope after all.

I've been replaying XIII recently because I hate myself and I've just finished that part where Hope is all "I hate Snowe, he killed my mom!" and basically Lightning says "no you dumbass, Psicom killed your mother, direct all of your anger towards them."

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Endorph posted:

I seriously doubt they pulled a single guy off Versus XIII to do this or any of the FF4 ports.

They did get the team to help work on FFXIV: A Realm Reborn. Hopefully when that's up and running we might actually see some progress again...

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Bought FF ATB for the iPhone yesterday. It is terrible. Just dreadful. You just continually swipe your finger over your units until the enemy is dead a few minutes later. There is no strategy - Just swipe. You don't get to choose your party makeup, it's just random classes you've unlocked. I also made the mistake of purchasing two *randomised* premium units. I got Tifa and Celes. While they do more damage than the standard units, at $1 each, it's a steep ask.

Anyone considering it - Give it a miss.

Does Lightning have Caius' soul or something in her now and that's why Noel is trying to kill her? I'm expecting some horribly underwhelming cameos from the FF13 cast. "Remember how Serah & Snow were engaged? PARADOX!!!!"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VarrosAnon posted:

If you group fans of any series, you can make any of them terrible. But yeah, I'd say FF fan groups can commonly be some of the worst. I thought XIII was a really solid RPG, and even with my complaints, I played it all the way through and never felt as if I was stuck, and even if parts were bland or awkward, it was very well polished and localized and the plot itself was solid. Some people want FF7 half-cartoony half-serious quirks back because they're living in the past, some people want fanservice, some people want the series to grow up. If you group fans and make SE/FF into an institution, yeah, you can end up getting a bad taste in your mouth from any title.

I grew up with the series and I really liked X, X-2, and XII. It's also possible for someone to just think XIII was a bad game.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yuna being behind Light and Aerith is bad but not nearly as bad as Ashe being so loving far down the line. Ashe below Selphie? And only one spot ahead of Rosa?

I like Selphie for her quirkiness but that's all she had. There was no development or depth behind that two-dimensional quirk. And Rosa is easily one of the worst characters in the entire franchise. Ashe had more character in one scene than either of them had throughout both their games.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I don't really see the problem with Rosa. She's not really well-developed, true, but she's not a bad character by any stretch. She became a White Mage because she loved Cecil, and probably to try and keep him from falling into darkness (after all, Cecil did say it would only be a matter of time before his emotions were gone, maybe Rosa thought she could stop or at least slow that). If she'd been in one of the post-7 FF games she'd probably be wishy-washy "Oh I don't know if I love Cecil, how can I stay with him after what he's become?"

At the very least I can't accept Rosa being considered the worst as long as Selphie exists.

Also I just noticed Relm isn't on that list anywhere.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The problem with Rosa is that she has the potential to be a good character, but doesn't quite reach that point. There are moments where Rosa's a solid character, like early on when she takes a leadership role, or when she's helping Rydia overcome her fear of fire, or when it comes to forgiving Kain. Thing is, the game never really bothers developing her any further from these instances, as her main role is to be the damsel in distress for the first half of the game, after which most of her dialogue is "Cecil!" and she becomes irrelevant to the plot except for a minor scene late in the game that doesn't even make any sense (Going to the moon and beating the evil moon man is men's work!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rosa was just bland to such a ridiculous extent that I ended up hating her. She existed solely to be a generic love interest. Absolutely nothing else about her really stands out.