Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Was the English version of 7 updated up until that last patch, and then they just never brought over that patch, or did they day-one-patch it once when it released over here, then released that last update in Japan and never updated the English version at all?

Basically, was it
A) ...Japanese Update, English Update, Japanese Update, English Update, Japanese Update... [final English update never happens]
or
B) Japanese Update, Japanese Update, Japanese Update, [all updates folded into English release], Japanese update

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
B, if I remember.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I remember it already being an update behind the Japanese version the day it came out

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah, I don't really see it happening. They are coming out with Dragon Warriors (:haw:) next too and that will make a killing.

Yeah, they know how much they need to sell with the usual releases/releases and target pretty well normally. Hyrule sold well, DW8 and XL sold pretty well. There was also a report about PC version doing better then expected. I could see SW4 tanking a bit though since it came out as Musou #5 or something within a year. If anything they should try to push a bit in the West, maybe with more familiar characters. American or French Revolution Musou anyone? WWII Musou?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It's gonna be a long, long time before KT gets the gumption to try pushing Western stuff again. Not after Warriors: Legends of Troy.

Deep down though? I'd love to see WW2 Musou if only to see how Omega Force would do Hitler. I'm picturing like Basara's Nobunaga Oda but with like a flamethrower or something.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

oblomov posted:

American or French Revolution Musou anyone? WWII Musou?

The French Revolutionary Era and the Napoleonic Wars are my dream Musou games. But sadly chances they'll never happen.

I dream of a roided out Napoleon carrying two cannon barrels chained together on his shoulders. Don't judge.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I still hope we get a Shin Bladestorm that's just a traditional Musou game with Hundred Years War characters. It's what I expected Bladestorm to be when it was announced, after all, and it's of personal interest to me since my family made its fortune working for the Black Prince and I'd kind of like to see my forty-odd-times-great-granduncle or something as an NPC officer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm amazed we're actually getting another Bladestorm game at all, even if it is just the first game again with more stuff bolted on.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I mean, I am too, but still.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, that's a first if so.

5 or 6 carried over levels and unlocked fighters as well. But I don't know if anyone else actually played those.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

It's gonna be a long, long time before KT gets the gumption to try pushing Western stuff again. Not after Warriors: Legends of Troy.

Deep down though? I'd love to see WW2 Musou if only to see how Omega Force would do Hitler. I'm picturing like Basara's Nobunaga Oda but with like a flamethrower or something.

OTOH, it's possible that KT would handle Japan's side of WWII with all the class of Axis Powers Hetalia, and that's not really a mistake a mid-size developer can afford to make (at least if it wants to sell outside of Japan).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wish they'd get the license to use Type-Moon stuff for a musou game

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I wish they'd get the license to use Type-Moon stuff for a musou game

That would be a neat thing, have Hyper Musous with poo poo like Reality Marbles or Gilgamesh throwing every weapon in both Type Moon land and Dynasty Warriors for his.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

SeanBeansShako posted:

The French Revolutionary Era and the Napoleonic Wars are my dream Musou games. But sadly chances they'll never happen.

I dream of a roided out Napoleon carrying two cannon barrels chained together on his shoulders. Don't judge.

I would love the poo poo out of a revolutionary war musou, or one that covered that time period in european/american history.

I'd imagine King George being the equivalent of Nobunaga Oda.

e: You could have both these concepts in the same game, as Napoleon wasn't too far off from the American Revolution.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What in the every loving gently caress, audio is censored in all the ps4 streaming, but DW8 actually has built in support for twitch chat interaction with the game?

Whyyyyy :psyduck:

I mean I can get around it by just streaming normally but man that's dumb. Must be some va licensing issues or something.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SeanBeansShako posted:

Robespierre wandering around with a guillotine blade on a chain, voiced by Katsuyuki Konishi.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

^
This dude gets it.

Arrrthritis posted:

I would love the poo poo out of a revolutionary war musou, or one that covered that time period in european/american history.

I'd imagine King George being the equivalent of Nobunaga Oda.

e: You could have both these concepts in the same game, as Napoleon wasn't too far off from the American Revolution.

King George really doesn't fit the whole ambitious demon king mould, both sides in those wars had plenty of cruel blood thirsty high and low officers who committed some form of war crime to fit that role.

Personally since we're sperging out here I'd have have the move set of Pang Tong and animatons of Pang Tong but with a ornate royal mace insead of a war fan with King George.

EDIT: Also, this gun is made for a Musou game character.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 17, 2015

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Wasn't George III also reputed for symptoms of mental illness even during the American Revolutionary period? (The Madness of George III/The Madness of King George chalked it up to a blood disorder while more recent research pointed at mental illness.) By Musou standards that'd probably result in an Imagawa Yoshimoto-style caricature...

Also, in the vein of goons' WTF at Peter Ho as Lu Bu, apparently Godfrey Gao is set to play him as well in a Zhao Yun-centric drama?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Bladestorm Nightmare is Steam bound for May because Koei Tecmo is cool like that.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

now to see if its the next-gen version this time!

also apparently there is a demo up on the japanese psn store of the ps4 version, and it has bad performance. can anyone confirm?

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah

Davincie posted:

now to see if its the next-gen version this time!

also apparently there is a demo up on the japanese psn store of the ps4 version, and it has bad performance. can anyone confirm?

Yep. It runs better than the PS3 and Xbox One versions of the demo, though. The Xbone version looks like it's running at 720p.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The GIG posted:

Bladestorm Nightmare is Steam bound for May because Koei Tecmo is cool like that.

Toot toot. So happy they are giving STEAM a try.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I might get it on Steam, then.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Daaamn, now I feel obligated to put my gaming dollars on either Bladestorm or DW8 Empires. Tough choice.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Now what I really want is for WO3 to show up on Steam.

I hope DW8 did well enough that they're seriously exploring PC as an option going forward

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
That Dragon Warrior game looks boss.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

From the recommendations earlier (thanks gents) I went and spent a bunch of trade credit and grabbed all three of DW8/SW4/WO3.

I only dabbled a bit in each, figuring I'd play DW8/SW4 first, then tackle WO3 once I was more familiar with the characters, but I did want to at least check them out.

First impression, they're all fun as hell, and I'm glad I got them.

Second impression is that I like SW4 the most so far, maybe it's just the fluidity and hilarity of tearing rear end across the map with a 4000 hit combo using Hyper attacks.

I settled in and started munching through story mode, I'm on the last several campaigns now, and they've all been fun so far.

Does DW8 take a bit longer to 'open up'? SW4 feels better to me, but I don't know if that's just personal preference, or because I haven't spent enough time with DW8 to level up/unlock cool moves/weapons/characters/abilities (and holy poo poo there are a lot of weapons).

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Going backwards into WO3 is gonna feel weird for you since it was made before DW8 and SW4, so it'll be missing some gameplay improvements and movesets from those games. Still a good game though, just led to moments like expecting Sima Shi to be a boss only to find out his moveset is a clone of the rapier moveset.

SW4 is the first game to have hyper moves, as well as being the newest out of the three so it arguably has the most incremental improvements, though admittedly the DW and SW series tend to run in parallel to each other development-wise, so each series has their own particular quirks. DW8 does have a lot of characters though, so you'll get a lot of variety in movesets, but it doesn't lock away moves like SW4 does with its leveling, so what you see is what you get basically with DW8.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Hey I see there is a DW8 Empires version coming out later this month and am perplexed by the lack of information I can find on Wikipedias and poo poo as to how extensive the strategy system is in the Empires line. The only one of these I've played was Hyrule Warriors and I thought it was real fun but at the time was like: this would be even better if these missions and battles were all based on a grand strategy campaign. Kinda like Divinity Dragon Commander?

So yeah, does anyone know if DW8 Empires is well-regarded or how much impact you get on the story/battles or if it still has pretty linear objectives?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
No story but what you make of the starting scenarios as given. That's always been the 'point' of Empires as compared to the main line. Want to make Da Qiao into a Dong Zhuo-esque tyrant as she conquers the land? You can.

The amount you can do to the world is based on what you are(Your position can change).

Battles are mostly free-form-take the bases leading to the enemy camp, thus luring out the enemy commander(He/She never starts on the field), crush him. 'Troop count' determines the number of times a person can revive before being permanently removed(defeated or captured). The new 'big thing' is the fact you can deploy actual structures to the field as well as the 'usual' modifying bases, healing, power-ups, etc. All these take 'tactics' points, which build up over time and can be spent any time. You earn these various things by building up your reputation(There are various types) by doing various minor things in the world.

As a result allies can actually get things done, since nothing's scripted. Major events(depending on your start scenario, these may or may not exist) have their own battles. They still play out similarly, though. There's no laundry list of objectives you must do or fail. The closest thing currently to give as an example is DW8Complete's Ambition Mode's second phase, but both more and less so.

You always have the option of doing random minor missions for resources. As a wanderer(Which was a recent addition), this is generally the primary way to get the resources you need to keep going.

As a wanderer or wandering band(Since people can join up with you as a wanderer, or you can join such yourself as a loner), you can potentially take a province and start your own faction, join up with a faction, and help a faction with it's battles if one's going on in the province you're in(Which can lead to a job offer-from either side! Sometimes being a big pain to a faction will lead to them wanting you on THEIR side).

You join a faction, you'll get a regular income, and more options open up for improving the province, the faction, and yourself. You can concentrate on staying in the faction and rising through the ranks, maybe even becoming the faction head. Or you can rise in rebellion and take a province for yourself. The faction head will give out orders, and you can do the tasks for more resources and stuff. You can suggest different things when the orders are given, and you may even be listened to. Whilst a subordinate, you'll be responsible for building up the province you're assigned to. As the head, you give out these same orders and are responsible for keeping your underling's troops replenished, building up multiple provinces with your income so we can contend with everyone else doing the same, and some diplomacy.

Diplomacy is kinda minor, in truth. You can forge alliances, request/demand things, etc.

...I feel I went on too long and went off the point.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2015

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
No, that's perfect. It's the kind of hype that I can't stand, because it will make time go on longer as I can't wait to do every single thing mentioned.

I've kind of stopped using my PS3--it using my big screen doesn't seem to matter. I'm all about steam games (And Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS :swoon:) so I'm actually torn on which system to get it for...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DW7 is on PSNow so I gave it a try.

Will I ever get used to this horrible, lovely, no-good loving camera? :\

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I guess, make sure you're always using the block/camera reset button to centre it the way you're facing rather than manually turning it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

This sounds cool as hell. Like Dynasty Warriors gameplay with a bit of Mount & Blade mixed in? Are there ultimately victory conditions for the different starting scenarios?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Unify China is basically it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

DW7 is on PSNow so I gave it a try.

Will I ever get used to this horrible, lovely, no-good loving camera? :\
The right stick on one of my controllers got messed up while playing the Pirate Warriors games so I just played through a whole bunch of levels with the camera slowly spinning one way or the other the whole time. Video games as Art.

why is it so slow. why

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

https://steamdb.info/sub/60128/

Guess what just showed up on Steam Database

quote:

Sub ID 60128
Name Steam Sub 60128
Last Known Name SAMURAI WARRIORS 4-II
Last Record Update 17 days ago (February 3, 2015 – 20:14:46 UTC)
Last Change Number 878082

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pureauthor posted:

Oh my god Koei, Koei I love you so much put all your games on Steam and I will buy them.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

Literally leaping for joy, after having missed out on everything warriors post- PS2 era, DW8XL was such a welcome return to the warriors series for me, but I really missed out on the later SW games. Fantastic news!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So any word on the steamdb for DW8:E? I'm meaning to get it for PC :ohdear: