Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

Did they ever fix random Holy paths? I know they didn't work in Dom3

According to the mod manual, they work now as long as you have other magic paths. Well, they're supposed to work now, at least. I guess I'll find out if this is true when I start testing. :v:

If you have custom priest levels without any other magic paths, the mod will still crash, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I noticed provinces are searched with holy paths as well, are there actually any holy sites in the game?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
yes, here is a list of them http://larzm42.github.io/dom4inspector/?page=site&showmoddinginfo=1&showids=1&sitepathid=10

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Libluini posted:

According to the mod manual, they work now as long as you have other magic paths. Well, they're supposed to work now, at least. I guess I'll find out if this is true when I start testing. :v:

If you have custom priest levels without any other magic paths, the mod will still crash, of course.

Random holy paths do work, or at least they have worked for me when I've used them.

Lipchitz
Jun 15, 2009
Anyone interested in the Scenario map "Dawn of Dominions"? Or even a game on the map "Valanis"?

I find myself loathing the games standard map-graphics.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
I really like Valanis i think a lot of people got burned out at launch/beta though because it seemed like half the games hosted were on it. Its been over a year now so id say people would be more than ready for it.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Most of the hand-made maps have like, entire regions of swamps or desert which look pretty but are awful for actually playing. And most of them don't wrap either which sucks.

Lipchitz
Jun 15, 2009

LordLeckie posted:

I really like Valanis i think a lot of people got burned out at launch/beta though because it seemed like half the games hosted were on it. Its been over a year now so id say people would be more than ready for it.

I'd be up for it if anyone else hosted, since my knowledge of such arcane ways is non-existent. Also, I'd really like to play Late Era Agartha. Because awesome.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Gaysonly is concluded on turn 83, with a victory for me as MA Agartha. Unfortunately I can't claim too much credit since there was a ton of RNG that went my way (very small map and I picked an awake pretender, great throne + site discoveries, etc.), and the game went to poo poo for a while thanks to the bugged Throne of Beasts, but overall I'm happy that I earned my win by pretty much always being at war with 1 or 2 people. As a result I got to play around with MA Agartha at several different points in their power curve, which is pretty great at all points in the game.

I went with the following pretender http://imgur.com/z3fitHX, and I'm 90% sure someone else used this same concept before but I can't find the post. Basically, you forge it an E1 armor on turn 2 and it can wipe pretty much any indy by slapping it until it fear routes. Later on it alternated between fighting duty (rarely) and darkness-casting duty (more frequently). I picked this chasis since I wanted an awake combat pretender but also a darkness caster. A surprisingly important benefit was that it enabled easy clearing of two thrones early on which really revved up my gem income. The early domspread from an awake pretender is nice too considering agartha's dom effect. An N9 bless on MA Agartha is simply amazing but this build focused on killing things early with armies of attentive statues, magma children and earth elems, and then just snowballing from there. In the future I would probably take more heat+growth since I vastly underestimated how much cold-blooded mages hate the winter.

In order, I killed Abysia (with Asphodel's help), then Bandar, then Vanarus, then Pan (who had absorbed Caelum), then Vanheim. I then killed a couple of Ashdod SC's on my way to the last throne, thankfully taking it the turn before he put up AC.

Some of my personal lessons learned:

1. Turn 1 EQ's are amazing, especially on defense. I guess this spell is baby's first RoS, but EQ comes out earlier and in certain matchups is just as effective.
2. Magma elementals are interesting chaff units. 2 F gems gives you 5 units with an always-hitting armor piercing attack, fire shield, and they might even take a couple of hits before they die. Eternal pyre gives you 50 of these guys a turn if you can stomach the lost mage time (and casting a fire gemgen).
3. For the W summons living mercury are amazing, olms are very matchup-dependent and you have to constantly worry about them suiciding if they run through their 10 ammo. Most of my olm problems could also be solved with earth meld and/or petrify.
4. 6-8 attentive statues will clear ocean provs like you wouldn't believe. Much more efficient than wasting gold on pale ones who have terrible attrition rates.
5. Even without a bless, sentinels + darkness are godlike units and your opponents will spend most of their time figuring out how to kill them while you screw them over with mage scripts that are very flexible.
6. Marble Oracles are almost certainly not worth using without N9. But gently caress it, sometimes you need a big mindless guy with a gate cleaver and boots of quickness to get certain "jobs" done (rip Irminsul). And enchantment 6 comes way before const 7 on Agartha's priority list
7. Earth Blood Deep Well feels too useful to pass up for Agartha. It's no vengeful waters or whatever but you want enchantment research anyways and casting hall of statues + hidden underneath is a great way to transition your army composition.
8. Golem crafters are surprisingly bad battle mages. They're expensive, tend to die a lot, and just kinda start sucking once darkness + storm starts showing up in every fight. For most of the game I used cap-only oracles for important fights and left the golem crafters to buffing/summoning duty or leading small, disposable raiding groups, usually with living mercuries or magma elementals.
9. Crumble is still bugged to reduce castle defense to zero and that's okay because it's not worth 20 E gems otherwise.
10. Seriously, screw dryad seductions once creeping doom is researched. Do yourself a favor and kill EA/MA Pan before this happens.

Anyways, good game to everyone who stuck through to the bitter, werewolf-infested end. Graphs here: http://imgur.com/Ili2ReD,7rkIusE,coKT8qN,Zy68THK,P4q5ZpK,BDTyjDN,6XP9Qaa

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 9, 2014

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Lipchitz posted:

Anyone interested in the Scenario map "Dawn of Dominions"? Or even a game on the map "Valanis"?

I find myself loathing the games standard map-graphics.

Rampaging Rhino Lands is my favorite premade map.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

quote:

maenads.jpg

Also drat, I was doing way better than I thought that game, given the amount of flailing around uselessly I did.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

maenads.jpg

Also drat, I was doing way better than I thought that game, given the amount of flailing around uselessly I did.

I was afraid you'd come out with storm demons when it finally came time for us to fight. I was pleased when I discovered that earth attack elems really don't care about phantasm spam though

the elemental wins this fight. welcome to erf ponyman

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 9, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Was my cap still standing at the end? :getin:

Also I'm glad to hear a staunch ally of erf won.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Kitfox88 posted:

Was my cap still standing at the end? :getin:

Also I'm glad to hear a staunch ally of erf won.

I think it did survive til the end. Even crazier was AI Sceleria keeping their cap for like 50 turns after going AI, I guess mainly due to tons of chaff summoning and their cap-only mages doing a decent job even with AI scripting. I was actually gonna let them live til the end but then I accidentally domkilled them

Also AI Pan's god respawned on his capitol twice despite him not really having any priests around. So either the AI loves leaving tons of stealth dryads set to call god or they just get an automatic respawn buff

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 9, 2014

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

TheresNoThyme posted:

I think it did survive til the end. Even crazier was AI Sceleria keeping their cap for like 50 turns after going AI, I guess mainly due to tons of chaff summoning and their cap-only mages doing a decent job even with AI scripting. I was actually gonna let them live til the end but then I accidentally domkilled them

Also AI Pan's god respawned on his capitol twice despite him not really having any priests around. So either the AI loves leaving tons of stealth dryads set to call god or they just get an automatic respawn buff

gently caress AI Sceleria forever :mad:. I had him locked down, then Vanarus attacked, then I had to dodge around Ashdod, then I had it locked down but not enough dudes to siege it down, then Agartha happened and Ashdod was supposed to resume the siege but he didn't move his dudes onto it when he said he would and so :skeltal:s lived on

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I present to you, the dumbest battle I have ever seen.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Not the goats! :fireman:

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

ChickenWing posted:

gently caress AI Sceleria forever :mad:. I had him locked down, then Vanarus attacked, then I had to dodge around Ashdod, then I had it locked down but not enough dudes to siege it down, then Agartha happened and Ashdod was supposed to resume the siege but he didn't move his dudes onto it when he said he would and so :skeltal:s lived on
I did have dues on it, then they ran away. Gaysonly was just a clusterfuck of random events taking away 1-3 provinces from me a turn. Misfortune 1, why do you hate me so?

I'm a bit sad I didn't get a chance to spam horrors. My horror engine was ready to go and then you ended the game. :(

Another fun lesson from Gaysonly. After the 4th cast of Banquet of the Dead, I finally went the irc to figure out where the hell my death mages kept vanishing off to. For the first time in Dominions history flavor text matters and the mages I had been pouring D gems into kept getting eaten.

Gaghskull fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Dec 9, 2014

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

An updated version of the loosely Dwarf Fortress-themed nation mod, Underhome.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c2axlmm80huwx7i/underhome35.rar

Notable is that as of this update, all three eras are included. I'm still welcome to hear balance feedback, particularly on the EA/LA nations. LA is a very heavy blood nation and I'm not sure if I got that right. The summons are pretty beastly though, I've been adjusting them a lot, they used to be a lot more powerful. The nations in general may be powerful, as is standard for mod nations, but my goal is to create something that people can say "well, at least it's not as strong as Mictlan."

Some things may be rough around the edges, I did a lot of reordering and renumbering in the last few days. If anything looks out of place, I'll try to fix it. The lore may be inconsistent in places as I was kinda making it up as I went and did end up changing a few things, I tried to make the nation descriptions consistent but I haven't done a pass on all of the unit descriptions yet. Here's some quick summaries:

• EA Underhome is a nation based around the idea of disparate dwarven clans, which is reflected in few national troops and a fairly wide variety of terrain-specific recruits. They have widely varied magic, based on terrain-specific mages.
  • MA Underhome is a more standard nation, representing an area where the clans have unified into an empire with a singular "dwarven" culture. Based in mountain halls, they're mostly heavily-armored troops with some earth magic and adamantine sacreds, with very limited access to blood magic via heretics which represent the blood cult.
  • LA Underhome represents an era when the empire was thrown into chaos, and the blood cult has taken over. The blood god revels in slaughter, sacrifice, and chaos, and the cult is empowered by all of these: the demonic summons and sacreds all have chaos power, as do the new half-demon duergar. The dominion spreads Turmoil, and the nation is capable of blood sacrifice. Their mages have a heavy emphasis on blood magic.

I'm working on a companion mod to this mod, Underhome Events, which will feature many nation-specific events for Underhome. Standard events will generally include stuff like miners/foremen finding or creating certain earth sites and other assorted simple events, but hidden under "story events" I plan two major lines: one concerned with adamantine, and one concerned with nobles. The adamantine line will feature occasionally finding adamantine sites in forted mountain provinces and weathering the subsequent demon/horror attacks, and the noble line will feature newly-established forts receiving dwarven nobles, who provide various good and bad events at a high rate, but also issue mandates requiring the attention of mages, the failure of which to meet the mandates will steadily increase unrest in the province and cause other issues.

While I work on that, I want to continue to balance the nations themselves, but I feel like I'd get more out of it if more people had access to the mod, so whatever feedback you guys have if you decide to play around with it, feel free to share.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 9, 2014

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It's a cool mod mate, gonna check it out and test some strategies. Right off the bat I can tell you that MA adamantium axelords are totally OP because they're basically EA Vanhere with vastly superior armor. It doesn't help that you start off with 10 of them and with a quickness buff you could take any independent province with basically no losses.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

It's a cool mod mate, gonna check it out and test some strategies. Right off the bat I can tell you that MA adamantium axelords are totally OP because they're basically EA Vanhere with vastly superior armor. It doesn't help that you start off with 10 of them and with a quickness buff you could take any independent province with basically no losses.

...what the heck? That's definitely not right, numbers got messed up. Not supposed to start with 10 of those troops, lemme swap that out quick.

Changed and uploaded, there was a 29 where it should've been a 19. The adamantine troops are supposed to be potent but also not easily accessible from the start, it was definitely a mistake if 10 made heir way into the starting army! Thanks for the heads-up.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 9, 2014

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

HARPY_DEATH_SCREAM.WAV

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Jesus christ who builds a thousand harpies :psyduck:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Looking at those losses, I guess someone who really hates them.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The lack of Panic mages is triggering me intensely.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not only three goats survived, but there are goats and wolves fighting together against the common enemy. What will be next, dogs and cats?

I suppose the Obsidian warrior with a good bless did most of the job? The rest was chaff of the same quality of Harpies and there was no mage support.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
From Desura forums:

Kristoffer.Osterman posted:

We are testing stuff on pretender design.
One of the changes is additional design points. Titans will have their cost increased accordingly, but monsters and mages will have significantly more points to play around with. I'm not yest sure where it ends up, but I suspect monsters might be inclined to have good scales, since this is something that doesn't increase in cost with higher levels. This is somewhat fitting on guardian monsters such as a Shedu or Sphinx. Increased points will also give monsters a bit more flexibility. THere are also some slight stat changes on monsters, such as increases in prot and fear on some monsters. Not enough to make them equal to dragons, but combined with the increased points they will hopefully be viable.

I'm excited for the scales rainbow pretender builds or whatever is gonna come of this!

vv if you get 50 more design points to play with, but titans cost 50 points more, that is basically the same as giving monsters and mages negative pointcosts, no?

Boing fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 9, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boing posted:

From Desura forums:

I'm excited for the scales rainbow pretender builds or whatever is gonna come of this!

If they aren't changing domscore, making humans cost negative points, or doing the awesome gods thing with high base paths with negative boosts for blessings no one will use them still. They need a perk to make up for being Dom1 low HP wimps.

Changes to make popular titan bless chassis more expensive and monsters less poo poo is good in my book though.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 9, 2014

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Not only three goats survived, but there are goats and wolves fighting together against the common enemy. What will be next, dogs and cats?

I suppose the Obsidian warrior with a good bless did most of the job? The rest was chaff of the same quality of Harpies and there was no mage support.

Yeah b9 beast bats and obs warriors. Also it's abattoir so I had kitfox pd levels

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Neruz posted:

That's from Abattoir, the samog troll game that only has caps. I built the harpies. :ssh:

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

If they aren't changing domscore, making humans cost negative points, or doing the awesome gods thing with high base paths with negative boosts for blessings no one will use them still. They need a perk to make up for being Dom1 low HP wimps.

Giving them unique summoned/spawning units has been tossed around before as modded effects. But if Illwinter is the ones doing it, we could maybe get even further than that.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i still support my idea of having human pretenders occasionally spawn demigod children with semi-randomized magic paths and other stuff

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

CRONE BONE ZONE

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
The secret to their immortality is located in their genitals.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i still support my idea of having human pretenders occasionally spawn demigod children with semi-randomized magic paths and other stuff
That's totally un-impossible to code, give it a go and see if it's fun!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gemgens for everybody!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

That's from Abattoir, the samog troll game that only has caps. I built the harpies. :ssh:

A game that you are actually winning btw.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

A game that you are actually winning btw.

Let's not underestimate my ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, eh.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

The secret to their immortality is located in their genitals.

if greek mythology is any clue, then probably. they got kids popping up all over the place that even they forgot about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Let's not underestimate my ability to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, eh.

You'll still have to come through Marginon! Bring it bro!

• Locked thread