Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I have a feeling I know the answer to this question already but figured I’d ask.

My family has a 17 pounds boneless rib roast. I understand that’s likely going to be too big to do at once. So can someone confirm that my options are to either roast it normally or portion it out to cook it Sous vide

Any advice? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just reverse-sear it: put the oven on to its lowest setting and roast it until it comes up to 10 degrees lower than you actually want to serve it. Take it out, put the oven on full loving blast until it’s as hot as it can get, and then put the meat back in until it comes up to temp.

It’s not going to be quite as evenly-cooked as SV but it’s way easier than portioning it up in bags and then searing those multiple portions. And it’s really loving delicious. I did this last Christmas with a sauce made from the drippings, some red wine, and some roasted marrow bones and I couldn’t believe how goddamned good it was.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Got an Anova from my wife for xmas and my mother in law had a beefy vacuum sealer she wasn't using that is now mine as well. Time to seal and boil some poo poo.

Besides ribeyes, what are some go-to's I should cook immediately?

Salmon Mi-Cuit : https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/salmon-mi-cuit
Fish in general: 122F for 40 minutes
Glazed Carrots: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html
Short Ribs: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/bomb-braised-short-ribs

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

Just reverse-sear it: put the oven on to its lowest setting and roast it until it comes up to 10 degrees lower than you actually want to serve it. Take it out, put the oven on full loving blast until it’s as hot as it can get, and then put the meat back in until it comes up to temp.

It’s not going to be quite as evenly-cooked as SV but it’s way easier than portioning it up in bags and then searing those multiple portions. And it’s really loving delicious. I did this last Christmas with a sauce made from the drippings, some red wine, and some roasted marrow bones and I couldn’t believe how goddamned good it was.

I’ve done this before too. My oven can go as low as 170 and that gave me edge to edge doneness. I think I pulled it at 125f (when you go this low there’s not much carryover at all). Tented it, cranked the oven to 550 and when it was heated, popped it back in for 5-10 minutes. Don’t remember how long it took to get a good crust but it wasn’t much.

No reason to sous vide this in my opinion.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah on prime rib, I'd just do it in the oven. If your oven can do 150-200 F or so, it will heat gently enough while also being dry heat to make it so you can brown better when finishing.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got a good guide to pork chops? I've tried the Seriouseats version of 140F at 1~4 hours multiple times but each time the meat has been pretty tough and stringy.

Are you searing too long? How thick? I only ask because I follow the serious eats temp (plus a few degrees) and it always comes out mega juicy and with just the faintest tiny tinge of pink.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Any recommendations on lobster? I’m thinking of lobster sous vide to ring in the new year, and maybe saffron risotto (hooray pressure cookers). And veg. Someone will surely want veg, right?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Any recommendations on lobster? I’m thinking of lobster sous vide to ring in the new year, and maybe saffron risotto (hooray pressure cookers). And veg. Someone will surely want veg, right?
Somewhere between 50 and 60 C depending on how traditional you like the texture (I think the sweet spot is around 55 C, but preferences vary), for around a half an hour (with up to twice that fine for holding, with no appreciable effect of consistency). Bag with butter (and like tarragon or whatever).

Incidentally, you don't really gain much out of doing it this way as opposed to just straight butter poaching---it's not like it's tricky to maintain temp on a range for half an hour or whatever. Nothing wrong with using the puddle machine either---just point it out if you're doing something else that might want to be done s-v (like a surf and turf thing or whatever) then you can easily do it `conventionally' and get the same results.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Can’t find a Searzall anywhere... was it discontinued? Are there any replacements?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

VulgarandStupid posted:

Can’t find a Searzall anywhere... was it discontinued? Are there any replacements?

There's been a long rant from Dave Arnold about how Amazon has literal thousands of them in their warehouse and for some reason they've been sitting on them for months.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mikey Purp posted:

Hell yes, all belly porchetta on ciabatta with salsa verde, dijon mustard and sharp provolone = my favorite sandwich of all time.

Sounds like it could be mine, if you felt like hooking a brother Goon up...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
What's a good amount of liquid smoke to add to a bag to fake-smoke something? My pork belly trimmings are currently curing in my fridge in chunks ranging from ~10oz to ~1.5lb and my Plan A is to smoke the bacon when I visit my folks for NYD. However, if it needs some extra curing time or I have to change plans, I'd still like to infuse some smoke into it somehow.

Everything I can find is either Chefsteps-style indoor BBQ (which is great but not what I'm trying to do here - I don't want a glaze or rub that will change the flavor besides give some smokiness) or simply notations like "add a small shot" (Kenji) or "a few drops" (reddit) with no real scaling or reference point. I find it odd for something as analytical as SV that there aren't some basic ratios floating around.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Bape Culture posted:

I have a friend coming over the day after tomorrow for dinner who has a Michelin Star. I want to impress him and I’m thinking water bathed lamb. Anyone have any recipes that spring to mind that look and taste phenomenal? I like French laundry’s 5 cuts but none of it is sous vide. Cheers.

That’s like giving Jenson Button a passenger lap around Spa and trying to impress him with your driving. Just aim for competent IMO.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

ShaneB posted:

Got an Anova from my wife for xmas and my mother in law had a beefy vacuum sealer she wasn't using that is now mine as well. Time to seal and boil some poo poo.

Besides ribeyes, what are some go-to's I should cook immediately?

You shouldn’t be boiling anything!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

drgitlin posted:

i cook everything at 212F man get on my level

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

drgitlin posted:

That’s like giving Jenson Button a passenger lap around Spa and trying to impress him with your driving. Just aim for competent IMO.

That’s much easier imo. Big Jensen would love some incompetent rear end drifting for sure 😁

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Let's say I want to make a nice steak, along with the glazed carrots. One is cooked at like 130 degrees, the other at 183 degrees. Without multiple Anova units, how would I accomplish this?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Omne posted:

Let's say I want to make a nice steak, along with the glazed carrots. One is cooked at like 130 degrees, the other at 183 degrees. Without multiple Anova units, how would I accomplish this?

Cook the carrots then add ice to bring down the bath temp and toss in the steak. The carrots will be kept warm and won’t cook appreciably at the lower temp.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
In general, every solution I have ever seen about two different temps always involves cooking at the higher temp first, then at the lower one once the first is done.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Uhh, you guys don't have like 3 anovas at this point?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Feenix posted:

Are you searing too long? How thick? I only ask because I follow the serious eats temp (plus a few degrees) and it always comes out mega juicy and with just the faintest tiny tinge of pink.

I've tried 30 seconds per side like the SE recipe suggests and 2 minutes per side like the Chefsteps one suggests and it didn't really make a difference that I could tell.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Honestly I just do my pork chops at 135 or less. It's still enough to deal with Trichinella (and of course the usual suspects like Listeria) and makes it so I'm being relatively consistent with how I prepare steaks. If there's some other pathogen that I'm forgetting that actually requires a higher temperature, I'd love to know about it so I can adjust accordingly.

Discussion Quorum posted:

What's a good amount of liquid smoke to add to a bag to fake-smoke something? My pork belly trimmings are currently curing in my fridge in chunks ranging from ~10oz to ~1.5lb and my Plan A is to smoke the bacon when I visit my folks for NYD. However, if it needs some extra curing time or I have to change plans, I'd still like to infuse some smoke into it somehow.

Everything I can find is either Chefsteps-style indoor BBQ (which is great but not what I'm trying to do here - I don't want a glaze or rub that will change the flavor besides give some smokiness) or simply notations like "add a small shot" (Kenji) or "a few drops" (reddit) with no real scaling or reference point. I find it odd for something as analytical as SV that there aren't some basic ratios floating around.

Kenji specifies 1/4 tsp for a 5 lb brisket or chuck roll or 3/4 tsp for 2 racks of St. Louis style rib, so if you're going for lighter smokiness, you would actually only be using like 1-2 drops. For reference, the direct scaling is around .25 mL/lb. So even on your 1.5 lb portions, you're using like 6 drops with Kenji's proportions.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Dec 30, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Plinkey posted:

I no joke got a third one for free from Anova because they screwed up my warranty replacement. I already had two other anovas and a non-circulating PID controller so I gave it away on Facebook to whoever could write a one paragraph essay about why they deserved it the most

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kirtar posted:

Honestly I just do my pork chops at 135 or less. It's still enough to deal with Trichinella

Worrying about trinchinosis from modern commercial pork is being what I would politely term “excessively cautious.” There are about 10 cases a year in the entire US, and probably 0 of those come from commercial pork. It’s not worth worrying about.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Phanatic posted:

Worrying about trinchinosis from modern commercial pork is being what I would politely term “excessively cautious.” There are about 10 cases a year in the entire US, and probably 0 of those come from commercial pork. It’s not worth worrying about.

I'm well aware of this, but my point was that I don't see any food safety related reason that pork chops should be cooked to a higher temperature than beef.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Plinkey posted:

I had a couple but I was only using them concurrently like once or twice a year so I sold one to a friend for $50 :geno:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

drgitlin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbFvAaO9j8M

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

That hurt more than I'd expect it too. Boiling all the prime rib :'(

On a related note fry's (kroger) has Beef Tenderloin on sale. On the package they had sticker stating they'd cut/wrap it. Asked the meat clerk how'd she cut it for me and if they'd grind down the chain. She then asked me "You want me to grind the whole thing? I can do that." Hold your god drat horses. Asked some clarifying questions. Turns out she has no clue how to even break it down. Said I could come around 3 when the other meat guy is there. Still bought one because wife and I are suckers for filet and I get a bunch of other meat out of it. Some pour schmuck is going to get a butchered tenderloin.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
So I've had my Anova since July. Used it a few times, not a whole lot, but always to fine results. Tonight, however, I was about 7 hours into a 10 hour pork belly cook at 77C/170F, when suddenly the bluetooth connection failed. Multiple attempts to reconnect were unsuccessful, and then it started beeping like a madman until I turned it off.

Some googling didn't provide much help (other than that it's happened to some other people and the suggestion was "wait 24 hours, then try again."). So I got two questions:

1) did my anova fry itself somehow?
2) is my pork belly safe? I chilled the bag and put it into the fridge (still sealed) and a quick finger test suggests it's tender, but will I need to make the finishing in the oven longer to account for the ~2.5 hours it didn't puddle?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Omne posted:

Cook the carrots then stick them in the fridge. You finish them in a hot pan to reduce the glaze.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Wahad posted:

So I've had my Anova since July. Used it a few times, not a whole lot, but always to fine results. Tonight, however, I was about 7 hours into a 10 hour pork belly cook at 77C/170F, when suddenly the bluetooth connection failed. Multiple attempts to reconnect were unsuccessful, and then it started beeping like a madman until I turned it off.

Some googling didn't provide much help (other than that it's happened to some other people and the suggestion was "wait 24 hours, then try again."). So I got two questions:

1) did my anova fry itself somehow?
2) is my pork belly safe? I chilled the bag and put it into the fridge (still sealed) and a quick finger test suggests it's tender, but will I need to make the finishing in the oven longer to account for the ~2.5 hours it didn't puddle?

I've killed 2 anovas doing similar temperature cooks, steam got in it and murdered it. Call anova and they'll replace it.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

kirtar posted:

I'm well aware of this, but my point was that I don't see any food safety related reason that pork chops should be cooked to a higher temperature than beef.

Some light reading: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/05/case-for-raw-rare-pink-pork-food-safety.html

TLDR: you're right

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

according to https://www.aphis.usda.gov/vs/trichinae/docs/fact_sheet.htm, Trichinea is killed if the meat is brought to 126f throughout for ~48 minutes, just under what's considered 'raw/blue'

smilingfish
Sep 18, 2012

fuck you i am smart
So on Christmas I tried my hand sous viding a 10 lb prime rib. Pre-sear, then six hours at 129°F, finish with an herb crust and broil.

I think it turned out pretty well.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Looks like it turned out rare.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Dayum, get that thing french cut.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Did some sous vide chocolate Pot de Cremes - amazing and very easy

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Did some sous vide chocolate Pot de Cremes - amazing and very easy

Yeah I've done that poo poo like 3 times. I use a recipe with pinot noir. It's loving SEX.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Feenix posted:

Yeah I've done that poo poo like 3 times. I use a recipe with pinot noir. It's loving SEX.

I made a bunch of chocolate pot de cremes as well with some homemade whipped cream and it owned. What is this advanced recipe you speak of. Give it to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kaedric posted:

I made a bunch of chocolate pot de cremes as well with some homemade whipped cream and it owned. What is this advanced recipe you speak of. Give it to me

https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-chocolate-pots-de-creme