Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sundowner posted:

I know you're not saying they're bad. My post was addressing what you said about having to be a "personality based" LPer to "get away with" (your words) doing weird jilted cuts to reactions in horror games but I was just saying that all LPers are "personality based" and that cutting away to footage is dumb. I was basically bloody agreeing with you and just adding that the notion of "personality based" is kinda silly because every LP is just that.

Man, that was a convoluted way of saying that then. And there's a marked difference between a LP that focuses on the game and how the game is played and a LP that focuses on the LPer reaction to said game. I just short-handed it to "personality-based", as in "the LPer is a personality", not "the LPer HAS a personality". To be fair with you, tho, 99% of YT LPs fit the second category anyway. The editing thing is what I already said, it could work on a different format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Dias posted:

Man, that was a convoluted way of saying that then. And there's a marked difference between a LP that focuses on the game and how the game is played and a LP that focuses on the LPer reaction to said game. I just short-handed it to "personality-based", as in "the LPer is a personality", not "the LPer HAS a personality". To be fair with you, tho, 99% of YT LPs fit the second category anyway. The editing thing is what I already said, it could work on a different format.

Oh sure I know there's a difference between a casual youtube LP and an LP with a bit of effort put in to service the game but those LPs (at least, how I perceive them) are still just as much about the person as the game. I mean... it's a person talking over a video game when they have nothing to do with the content of the game at all. Maybe I'm the weird one but I can't separate those two concepts. Like I said, if I truly just wanted to see a game I'd watch a long play or find one of the many commentary-less channels... but specifically finding an LP on here or on YouTube is still about finding an interesting person to listen to, right? :S

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sundowner posted:

Oh sure I know there's a difference between a casual youtube LP and an LP with a bit of effort put in to service the game but those LPs (at least, how I perceive them) are still just as much about the person as the game. I mean... it's a person talking over a video game when they have nothing to do with the content of the game at all. Maybe I'm the weird one but I can't separate those two concepts. Like I said, if I truly just wanted to see a game I'd watch a long play or find one of the many commentary-less channels... but specifically finding an LP on here or on YouTube is still about finding an interesting person to listen to, right? :S

I get what you mean, but there are people that do LPs where they take time to explain "oh, this mechanic works like this", "you can do this to defeat that boss", etc. Then there are stuff like SBFP and the Grumps, where they mostly just bumble through a game unless it's one of their favorites, and you're watching it for the riffing. Of course, even in the first format you need to be engaging and interesting - AGDQ is basically that done live and some people just die out there -, but it's not so much about you as it is about the game you're playing.

I guess the hard divide is "are you doing a annotated walkthrough or are you doing something like Conan's Clueless Gamer?" (and the very soft one is C&I take on Revengeance over the SBFP's one). It was mostly meant as a caveat to hard cuts to yourself, because those would not fly if you were trying to explain a game, but could work if you are the main attraction, I guess.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Dias posted:

I get what you mean, but there are people that do LPs where they take time to explain "oh, this mechanic works like this", "you can do this to defeat that boss", etc. Then there are stuff like SBFP and the Grumps, where they mostly just bumble through a game unless it's one of their favorites, and you're watching it for the riffing. Of course, even in the first format you need to be engaging and interesting - AGDQ is basically that done live and some people just die out there -, but it's not so much about you as it is about the game you're playing.

I guess the hard divide is "are you doing a annotated walkthrough or are you doing something like Conan's Clueless Gamer?" (and the very soft one is C&I take on Revengeance over the SBFP's one). It was mostly meant as a caveat to hard cuts to yourself, because those would not fly if you were trying to explain a game, but could work if you are the main attraction, I guess.

That's a fair enough assessment I guess. Let's Play. It's a dynamic thing! haha

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I believe you all mean Let's Play®.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
No no, trademark. Let's Play™.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Dias posted:

So what you're saying is that there's a spectrum of Let's Play, and you're on it somewhere.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Artix posted:

Can't use the term without Slowbeef's permission, it's just LP.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Let's Play©™®.

:colbert:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Artix posted:

® is a trademark officially registered with the US PTO.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
Can't you look up trademark claims on USPTO? Has anyone looked up what fun and wacky ways people have tried to claim "Let's Play"? I read yesterday that Sony tried to trademark it in some form but it fell through.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yep. You can search that:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...ch=Submit+Query

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
PewDiePie apparently made his own sub-MCN within Maker.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/13/youtube-pewdiepie-avengers-talent-squad-revelmode

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 14, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Mikelat is back from his hibernation

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

When I said 'cut to' I meant 'show in the corner like always', the phrasing was my bad. Just from a game design perspective it's a little tilting that the effort we put into UI design gets smashed by an additional video stream that really only needs to capture a fraction of what is shown.

Realistically I think there's space for a video player that overlays multiple video streams together efficiently and puts control into the user's hands re: what they want to see. There's no real 'solution' otherwise because it's not actually a problem, it's just a separation of desires between different users.

The short version is, I'm not bothered by them existing, I'm bothered that finding the version I want is harder.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even

Procrastinator posted:

When I said 'cut to' I meant 'show in the corner like always', the phrasing was my bad. Just from a game design perspective it's a little tilting that the effort we put into UI design gets smashed by an additional video stream that really only needs to capture a fraction of what is shown.

Realistically I think there's space for a video player that overlays multiple video streams together efficiently and puts control into the user's hands re: what they want to see. There's no real 'solution' otherwise because it's not actually a problem, it's just a separation of desires between different users.

The short version is, I'm not bothered by them existing, I'm bothered that finding the version I want is harder.

Right on man. I mean, talk about yer audio designer getting shafted by some nerd talking over everything they slaved over for months so's a bunch of strangers get to in-a-round-about-way experience the game for free.

Actually on a serious note someone on twitter actually suggested something when I was talking about facecams - like a way to enable and disable on the fly aspects of a video. So you could have a button that closes the camera or mutes the dialog. I mean, it's never gonna happen because YouTube certainly won't implement that functionality and it'd be a huge gimmick but it's one way it could work. Instead of trying to find a way to smartly edit it, you could just give the viewer a choice.

Edit: I was so intent on making that sick gag at the start of this reply that I forgot to read the second paragraph in which you basically described exactly what my second paragraph described. I need coffee.

Sundowner fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 14, 2016

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Alexeythegreat posted:

Mikelat is back from his hibernation

https://twitter.com/mikelatLP/status/608743806117134336

never forget

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So DSP unveiled his new channel in a last ditch effort to not have to get a real job.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UClFWgP2iZ7GElM8Db6NJ5-g/featured

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

So DSP unveiled his new channel in a last ditch effort to not have to get a real job.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UClFWgP2iZ7GElM8Db6NJ5-g/featured

I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy. Didn't he buy a BMW and a house in a gated community expecting youtube and twitch money to cover it all? When it all catches up to him I don't think an employer is going to take him seriously when puts down youtube entertainer to explain his gap in employment.

ArtemusWulf
Jun 14, 2014
The sad thing about DSP is at some point in the past he genuinely was a decent youtuber. When money became the focus he went to poo poo fast. He lost all his friends (especially his SF/FGC friends), lost his YouTube friends, and basically poo poo on all his fans as well. He needs to take a bit of criticism and improve himself.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Leal posted:

I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy.

I'm not. I tried to give him a fair shot and look at him how he presented himself without anyone else's opinions coloring my views, and at best, he's not good at what he does.

At worst, though? All the things highlighted by people like Kojima World Order, Sons of Kojima, his former fans, and even John Rambo of all people, are real things that have really happened. They're not doctored or skewed to fit an agenda, just taken out of the larger story of "DSP is a boring and obnoxious LPer, and he also does lovely things." to bring those lovely things to the forefront in case all the boring and obnoxious stuff made it less obvious.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Leal posted:

I'm starting to feel sorry for the guy. Didn't he buy a BMW and a house in a gated community expecting youtube and twitch money to cover it all? When it all catches up to him I don't think an employer is going to take him seriously when puts down youtube entertainer to explain his gap in employment.

It's already catching up to him. Machinima redid his contract and he's taken a big pay cut as a result, he won't stream anymore unless he gets 400 viewers minimum (180,000 subs FYI) , he view-quit multiple games last year cause nobody was watching them, and he has put multiple games behind a Patreon Paywall, going as low as to ask people to give up their Christmas money so he can stay in "business".

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I had a friend ask me if Deadly Premonition was worth getting/playing and to answer I decided I'd send him the link the SGF's LP of it. The way I normally do this (since I've done it in the past) is go to his Videos section on YouTube and then sort by most popular and Part 1 is usually right there on the top (https://www.youtube.com/user/supergreatfriend/videos?flow=list&sort=p&view=0). However at some point in the last while, his most popular video is an unremarkable 12 minute rundown of the Real Steal movie tie-in robot boxing game, by an almost 8 to 1 factor (826k views for Real Steel, 140k views for Deadly Premonition Pt 1). Does anyone know what happened there? It's not something I super care about, but did seem weird to just stumble across an unremarkable video from 4 years ago has 8 times the views of the first video of an LP he's most famous for doing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I seem to remember SGF talking about that subject on a stream a long time ago. Even he doesn't really know why that's the case.

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

Leal posted:

Entertainer is kind of a stretch. I'd list DSP as more of a Youtube Resident than anything.

But yeah, I'm going to agree that this whole thing is a cautionary tale of life priorities regarding the wonderful world of internet fame and fortune.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Leal posted:

When was he laid off, like 2010 or something? Man, that's a hell of a long gap to explain, and it's only going to get bigger.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean, it won't really be that hard to explain when he shows his future employers the paycheck he received for doing LPs and they go "Oh, okay".

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ninjahedgehog posted:

When was he laid off, like 2010 or something? Man, that's a hell of a long gap to explain, and it's only going to get bigger.

"I was living the dream on YouTube Ohkaaaay. *SNORT*. But those loving sociopaths were so jealous of me that they cost me thousands of dollars and made me lose my business. WHAAAAT!? What do you mean you won't hire me?! At least donate to my Patreon, and buy my girlfriend's soap."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

CJacobs posted:

I mean, it won't really be that hard to explain when he shows his future employers the paycheck he received for doing LPs and they go "Oh, okay".

Gotta get to the interview before you can do that, though. I think if I were him I'd spin it as trying to start my own business and hope they never ask what you actually did day-to-day, because "sat on my rear end and filmed my TV screen while I played video games" probably isn't the answer they're looking for.

EDIT: Like, he can't possibly have developed any sort of marketable skills doing this, right? The only thing a Youtube superstar conceivably could've learned was video editing, but we all know little of that he did.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 26, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let's playing "professionally" has a lot of marketable skills involved: Marketing, video editing, video production, just to name a couple. You have to learn how advertising works and about how marketing and popularity can affect your personal income as a business. People like to act like people such as DSP won't ever be able to explain away their gap in employment- if that actually matters at all in the first place, since it's a question I have never heard get asked during an interview -but it's definitely not the case.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Let's playing "professionally" has a lot of marketable skills involved: Marketing, video editing, video production, just to name a couple. People like to act like people such as DSP won't ever be able to explain away their gap in employment- if that actually matters at all in the first place, since it's a question I have never heard asked during an interview -but it's definitely not the case.

Then again, DSP doesn't seem to have really developed a high level of marketable skills based on his incredible incompetence at LPing. Like, ChipCheezum is a drat good video editor and he even got a job at Volition recently based on that. DSP spent quite a while just pointing a camcorder at his screen and I don't think he's done anything more complex than just being able to put clips in order and cutting out bits (the rare times he actually cuts out fuckups). I make pretty basic videos for marketing and training as an independent business and it requires way more effort than DSP puts into an average video; the dude is still just taking full videos recorded off his PS4 and uploading them with little to no editing.

So like, he could maybe bullshit his way into a company that wants an independent video editor. But I doubt he'd be able to produce anything really good.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Full time youtubing/lets playing isn't all that different from being a professional author, I would assume.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Having a start-up youtube business for 5+ years falls more in the positive category then the negative one when it comes the HR side of things. Because how many people can go even 2 years off of their bank account alone? It would have been more of a negative if he only lasted 6 months to a year.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Is this a first time thing, or have their been other LPers in the past who had a big audience and YouTube income who just lost it for whatever reason. If anything it helps get the message out that this is a very risky way to make a living.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bobjr posted:

Is this a first time thing, or have their been other LPers in the past who had a big audience and YouTube income who just lost it for whatever reason. If anything it helps get the message out that this is a very risky way to make a living.

There was some dude whose name I genuinely forget that was semi-notable for his YouTube LPs etc. before opting to not do it anymore in favor of a ~real job.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

bobjr posted:

Well, almost Doug Walker? He dropped the Nostalgia Critic to do something else but when his fans weren't biting he came running back to do Nostalgia Critic insisting that he just needed a break was all.

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Leal posted:

Well, almost Doug Walker? He dropped the Nostalgia Critic to do something else but when his fans weren't biting he came running back to do Nostalgia Critic insisting that he just needed a break was all.

They guys whole network thing got hardcore hosed by Blip closing down too, apparently they never thought of backing up the media on another service so half the site is now forever gone and scattered across a bunch of half-assed youtube channels that are slowly uploading old content in an incomprehensible order.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Wapole Languray posted:

so half the site is now forever gone

One of the groups with archive.org grabbed the entire Blip library before it went down as a direct data dump from their servers with Blip's permission, it just hasn't yet been converted back to a form that can be browsed/accessed online because there was so much there. They've been sending people things on specific request though. Nothing that was on Blip when it shut down is actually gone for good.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
It makes me wonder why these people didn't just keep personal copies of things; like I have a pretty steady output of videos from over 5 years or so, and it's not difficult to save just the finished product. Or hell, even buy an external hard drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Niggurath posted:

It makes me wonder why these people didn't just keep personal copies of things; like I have a pretty steady output of videos from over 5 years or so, and it's not difficult to save just the finished product. Or hell, even buy an external hard drive.

I'm pretty sure most of them did, hence them haphazardly uploading to Youtube. A lot of them got kicked off of Youtube in the first place for copyright violations, so it's not exactly their first rodeo.

• Locked thread