Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I’m that guy aware that the number of blacks who meet the SAT medians of the top 25 schools is just about big enough to fill out 10% of the Harvard class. But since some of them want Stanford and other Ivies (or the local state school) those schools have to really dig deep if they want a 10% black student body.

It’s the same for whites, of course, who would only make up about 30% of the Harvard student body without anti-Asian affirmative action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That Clayton guy seems like a real piece of poo poo.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sir Tonk posted:

That Clayton guy seems like a real piece of poo poo.

white innocence is such a loving hell of a drug

it means you can callously insult and even physically harm POC, and you can have people defending your honor and inherent goodness to the death and trying to make excuses for you

it's like how you have white people who think rose from Get Out was just being brainwashed into going along with the armitage family's line of business despite her having a box full of pictures of herself with the people whose lives she ended

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Asking if they got in because of AA is incredibly rude, but a big part of that is because it’s incredibly likely that they did, in fact, get in because of AA. Asking Trump at a social event if he’s cheated on his wife lately would be rude as well.

What I’m saying is this dude is an rear end in a top hat, but not for the reasons you think.

No? Even in cases where minority status is a factor it's used to choose between two students who were otherwise equal. Schools like Harvard get literally hundreds of thousands of applicants a year. They don't have to allow anyone in who isn't qualified. Unless their parents make extremely generous donations, but that's a different issue, and none of the people complaining about AA ever seem bothered by it.

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Clayton was voted out of the SBOE in 2012, hasn't run since. He lost the primary that year once it came out he was gay. Seems like a whole lot of "he doth protest too much" on his part to show he's a real Republican.

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Keeshhound posted:

No? Even in cases where minority status is a factor it's used to choose between two students who were otherwise equal. Schools like Harvard get literally hundreds of thousands of applicants a year. They don't have to allow anyone in who isn't qualified. Unless their parents make extremely generous donations, but that's a different issue, and none of the people complaining about AA ever seem bothered by it.

AA admits have much worse credentials than legacies. The gap is astoundingly huge. Back in 1997 the University of Chicago graduate school advising office had a tracker on their website (until I publicized it on the lawschool listserv and they yanked it) with the average GPA, LSAT, and acceptance rates of their undergrads by race and law school applied to. Blacks were getting into HLS with low 150s LSATs and 3.0 GPAs at higher rates than whites averaging averaging something like a 168 and 3.8. The best was the single Hispanic application and acceptance to UVA law who had a 2.5 GPA and 153 LSAT, no inferences from the average required.

Obama was genuinely impressive and picked as a future president by his classmates because he was truly extraordinary as a a slightly above average HLS intellect.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Black people aren't the reason your grades weren't good enough, Abigail

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Obama was genuinely impressive and picked as a future president by his classmates because he was truly extraordinary as a a slightly above average HLS intellect.

lol holy poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Syzygy Stardust posted:

Asking if they got in because of AA is incredibly rude, but a big part of that is because it’s incredibly likely that they did, in fact, get in because of AA. Asking Trump at a social event if he’s cheated on his wife lately would be rude as well.

What I’m saying is this dude is an rear end in a top hat, but not for the reasons you think.

the amount of people that have their race factored into their admittance is, even if we use the absolute most generous to brain geniuses like you figures, is massively dwarfed by things like legacy and social club status. It seems if these people actually gave a poo poo about people getting an unfair leg up they'd rail against that poo poo way before they start demanding random black people justify their very presence as valid.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

VitalSigns posted:

Black people aren't the reason your grades weren't good enough, Abigail

It saddens me that the SCOTUS majority didn't also find a way to legally change her name to Becky with the Bad Grades.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Turn left thread, turn left

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Quandary posted:

Turn left thread, turn left

the thread is trying to court the moderate republican posters

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Paracaidas posted:

It saddens me that the SCOTUS majority didn't also find a way to legally change her name to Becky with the Bad Grades.

In a totally bitchin 5-4 decision...

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
lmao I just saw he pulled the "anti-asian affirmative action" card. The thing white people pull out when they want asian people and non-"model minority" people to fight each other.

Hint: if AA gets abolished, those seats are not going to asian students

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

kurona_bright posted:

Excuse me but I do believe Caucasian has 'asian' in the name.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

kurona_bright posted:

lmao I just saw he pulled the "anti-asian affirmative action" card. The thing white people pull out when they want asian people and non-"model minority" people to fight each other.

it's also hilarious because like 60% of asians support affirmative action, and the vast majority of the noise you hear opposing it is from a very vocal minority of entitled, myopic, disgruntled upper middle class chinese immigrants and their kids on wechat

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Syzygy Stardust posted:

AA admits have much worse credentials than legacies. The gap is astoundingly huge. Back in 1997 the University of Chicago graduate school advising office had a tracker on their website (until I publicized it on the lawschool listserv and they yanked it) with the average GPA, LSAT, and acceptance rates of their undergrads by race and law school applied to. Blacks were getting into HLS with low 150s LSATs and 3.0 GPAs at higher rates than whites averaging averaging something like a 168 and 3.8. The best was the single Hispanic application and acceptance to UVA law who had a 2.5 GPA and 153 LSAT, no inferences from the average required.

gently caress off, racist.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It does rule to see the hip young flavor of white power in 'actually blacks are genetically inferior and only get things by government handouts...but Obama was cool he was probably basically white.'

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Syzygy Stardust posted:

And now all that data is magically gone? Interesting. Are you sure those numbers didn't magically change between the time 20 years ago when you found them and now? If you've got a link, I would like to see it.

And if you're talking about 1997 too. Now, average LSATs scores are higher. They're higher than even when I was applying in the early 2000s. So throwing out those numbers isn't really saying much, especially given how Affirmative Action programs have had to change post-Bollinger.

quote:

It also could have been the non-numerical things he brought to the table. Like his ability to relate to people, make friends, express himself eloquently, and those kinds of politically-useful social skills. Calling Obama an "above average HLS intellect" is doing him a big disservice.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

As a white male, it makes me extremely happy if race is used as a factor to the benefit of minorities. gently caress people who believed life is a meritocracy. I benefit from a whole host of positive stereotypes. Balance things out by helping the oppressed.

Meritocracy is a myth.

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007
Racial quotas, at least as a government AA thing, haven't been used for more than 30 years. However, universities often take race or ethnicity into account for admission, as one of several factors, for good reason. Some latino kid that grew up speaking english as a second language while attending a broke-rear end school district who then went on to get a bachelors, take the LSATs, and apply for law school is a hell of a lot more impressive than some upper-middle class white person who grew up in affluent suburbs and had their parents pay for undergrad even if the white kid has higher standardized test scores. And again, race/ethnicity is only one of several factors. If you're white but also an under-educated, impoverished first-generation college student with below par standardized test scores virtually every post-secondary institution will still give you preferential admission and financial aid, and there are federal and state programs, private scholarships, etc. that can further ease the financial burden of higher education. It's almost as if people complaining about affirmative action are really just complaining about minorities attending college.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

wow the guy defending the insane bigot rear end in a top hat turns out to also hate affirmative action, color me fuckin surprised

e: different guy who's also stupid. my mistake!

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this guy saw george clayton's extensive collection of antebellum craniometers and thought "this is the smartest person i have ever met"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

this guy saw george clayton's extensive collection of antebellum craniometers and thought "this is the smartest person i have ever met"

*expanding caliper brain*

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hate this and i hate posting it here

the statesman facebook will haunt my old age with the ferocity of brain plaques

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Aliquid posted:

i hate this and i hate posting it here

the statesman facebook will haunt my old age with the ferocity of brain plaques

Wait, he has a Yeti?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah but its just a tactilol Yeti, not an assault Yeti because assault Yetis are a media created term, so don't worry about it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Keeshhound posted:

Wait, he has a Yeti?

It's a microphone. Sending out podcasts about being an alpha while huddled in his bedroom clutching his gun.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

7c Nickel posted:

It's a microphone. Sending out podcasts about being an alpha while huddled in his bedroom clutching his gun.

Shut up. Let me have my image of him bunkered down in a basement with the abominable snowman. Just a man and his anthropological mystery, together against a world gone mad with liberals and would be gun-grabbers.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Glad to see SkiFree guy and the yeti made up, shame about their political beliefs though.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

zoux posted:

Looks like they are going to do a special election for Farenthold's seat
https://twitter.com/amanbatheja/status/987326287499980801

Should give us a better idea what the voting landscape looks like in the state

This doesn't make any sense at all. This is one of the districts that was gerrymandered with discriminatory intent and should be redrawn. The primaries for Rep. Shithead's replacement have already occurred, although the GOP runoff between Racist A and Racist B hasn't happened yet. Now Abbott is going to step in and order a special election between June and November for, what purpose exactly? To figure out exactly which racist can fundraise nationally better?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

saintonan posted:

This doesn't make any sense at all. This is one of the districts that was gerrymandered with discriminatory intent and should be redrawn. The primaries for Rep. Shithead's replacement have already occurred, although the GOP runoff between Racist A and Racist B hasn't happened yet. Now Abbott is going to step in and order a special election between June and November for, what purpose exactly? To figure out exactly which racist can fundraise nationally better?

Because people think that the midterms will have like a +10% Dem swing or something and the republicans want it to not be "blake fahrenthold's district"

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

So Racist A and Racist B are going to have a runoff on May 22, then presumably they'll both declare for the special election, so they can rehash that fight a month later (comedy option: they hold the special election on the same day as the primary runoff) and then another election in November, all three of which will get national press and money because no matter what Abbott says it'll still be Rep Duckfucker's old district, and he's still trying to dodge repaying his harassment settlement.

I can't wait to hear about how this race will be about fiscal responsibility.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a yeti is a ridiculously expensive tricked-out ice chest for tubing and hunting, you ivy league coastal elites

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
Democrats will never win in Texas until they know what a yeti cooler is

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

a yeti is a ridiculously expensive tricked-out ice chest for tubing and hunting, you ivy league coastal elites

they are legit good tho, but like hell am I paying that much for a cooler

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeti coolers are only popular with yuppies in Dallas and that barely qualifies as Texad. Maybe the yuppies in Austin like them too, idk, but that isn't helping the argument.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
They're popular because, like Apple and The Chive, they mass-distributed stupid vinyl stickers for idiots to put on their cars and pretend to be off-road outdoorsy types, and also give them free advertising.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Dameius posted:

Yeti coolers are only popular with yuppies in Dallas and that barely qualifies as Texad. Maybe the yuppies in Austin like them too, idk, but that isn't helping the argument.
Rooster Teeth could advertise Yeti coolers if they wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Sugar
May 24, 2004

over in the burnt yellow tent by the frozen tractor

Dameius posted:

Yeti coolers are only popular with yuppies in Dallas and that barely qualifies as Texad.

I just thought it was those big mugs people fill with fountain soda. That is honestly the only Yeti I have seen in the wild.