Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

My drowner strat:

1. Bait them to attack then roll.
2. Cast Igni
3. Get a few hits in and roll away again.

Rinse and repeat mostly. I don't dodge much against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Bort Bortles posted:

So I think I found 6 or 7 places of power in White Orchard and so far have only found three in Velen/Novigrad. Am I just bad or is the density much lower outside of White Orchard?

How do you get it?

They are higher density in white orchard for sure, I think quests take you pretty close to many of them in velen. I haven't explored THAT many ?s in velen but I have a number of places of power. (I was kind of guessing there were 5 in each region but I don't know.)

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

Where I can get moredimertium? it seems no merchents sell it.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

TheStampede posted:

So how are folks getting cards to build their Gwent decks? I see a few here and there at shops, but not nearly enough to really dive in to deck building, especially given the different deck types. I'm probably 20+ hours in and lvl 11, and haven't encountered much.

Make sure you check every character that talks story/armor/weapon/merchant/inn guy to see if there's a Play Gwent option. Most play and you always can win a card.

You kinda need to go with Northern deck for a long time. The other decks are tricky to build especially if they use muster cards because then you need lots of extra unit cards in the deck to play it right.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

CalvinandHobbes posted:

You can loot dimeterium shackles off witch hunters and deconstruct them for dimeterium iirc.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Haha, I just found the best mini side-quest roaming the Novigrad sewers.

You find an archeologist trying to open an old elven sarophagus and can decide to help him lift the lid. Turns out, there's a vampire sleeping in there.

Vampire: "Ugh. Just five more minutes... Is it 1358 yet?"

Geralt: "No."

Vampire: "Then gently caress off!"

:haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 29, 2015

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

Drowners are dicks.

The biggest thing I've learned about fighting in TW3 is that I need to treat it a little like Bloodborne, in that "dodge backwards" is often a terrible idea. Enemies can keep up with your backwards dodges, especially Drowners. Once I started dodging to the side and working really hard to make sure I stay on the edge of any group of enemies, it got a lot better.

Also Igni is absolutely crucial against Drowners, even if you're not specialized in Signs at all.

Upgraded Cat and unupgraded Bear are definitely the best-looking sets.

In some situations dodging backwards is what you want to do because animation lengths and attack distances.

Personally, Superior Bear or GTFO.

As to drowners... well, I had issues with Wolves and Wargs, sliced through Bandits and Drowners then got to Velen and found the reverse. With Drowners it's all about timing the dodge just right and you'll be fine; too quick and the drowner will reorient to you, too slow and you'll get hit anyway. I don't know what it is I'm looking for when I press B, and thinking about that makes me worried.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
I'm nearing the end of the game and am wrapping up quests. Are there any non-obvious but super cool quests I should pick up? (As in, quests I would not automatically get by going to the bulletin boards on the map and !'s nearby those towns, getting quest spinoffs from the main story, etc.)

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Spiky Ooze posted:

Make sure you check every character that talks story/armor/weapon/merchant/inn guy to see if there's a Play Gwent option. Most play and you always can win a card.

You kinda need to go with Northern deck for a long time. The other decks are tricky to build especially if they use muster cards because then you need lots of extra unit cards in the deck to play it right.

So generally the best way to get cards is by winning them? I snag all the stuff I see for sale, but it seemed to be building pretty slowly that way. I've only played a couple games so far though...and lost them all...so I didn't even know you won cards. Thanks for the info. Do you have any suggestions on folks to challenge early on?

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Magni posted:

You find an archeologist trying to open an old elven sarophagus and can decide to help him lift the lid. Turns out, there's a vampire sleeping in there.

Vampire: "Ugh. Just five more minutes. Is it 1358 yet?"

I fixed the spoiler tag in the quote, but drat you. I was wondering where the guy from the trailer was.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Magni posted:

Vampire: "Ugh. Just five more minutes... Is it 1358 yet?"

haha yeah this one is funny - there's so much hidden poo poo in novigrad that I feel like you'd just never find it all. It's one thing in velen to find a town-looking place that has a sidequest in it, it's another to wander around novigrad endlessly until you come across whatever random thing. Wandering around the sewers looking for walls to aard definitely qualifies.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Badly Jester posted:

A hotfix for the XP bug is coming to PC on Monday, sometime later that week for consoles.
As expected, you won't get your XP back retroactively. The dev even said that there's no balance issue due to the bug.

What a joke. At least they could say what triggers it, I definitely leveled up doing quests last night so there's more to it than quests just not giving XP, or maybe I'm just not affected (yet).

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I ended up finding petris philter in a chest in kaer gelen yusitannas grotto on skellige.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 17:37 on May 29, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Where can I get some more Gwent cards? I'm having trouble beating the Baron with my deck. It could just be i"m getting bad pulls and he's getting good ones, but I have too many lower value cards (4-5). I'm also getting stomped by random vendors and it's disheartening.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The game has way more XP than you need anyway you end up way outlevelling the main quest if you do all the sidequests, losing a few days worth of quest XP is not the end of the world.

Levantine posted:

Where can I get some more Gwent cards? I'm having trouble beating the Baron with my deck. It could just be i"m getting bad pulls and he's getting good ones, but I have too many lower value cards (4-5). I'm also getting stomped by random vendors and it's disheartening.

Buy them at inns, play the random vendors until you beat them. Exploring and finding towns is pretty fun, you may as well go to every locale and check out their inns/vendors, regardless of where you are in the game.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Avalerion posted:

What a joke. At least they could say what triggers it, I definitely leveled up doing quests last night so there's more to it than quests just not giving XP, or maybe I'm just not affected (yet).

The reigning theory is that the bug gets triggered the first time you do a "grey" quest (that is, one 6 levels below you). Quests you overlevel by that much are not supposed to give you XP by design, and I guess that state gets locked in and breaks rewards for other quests.

So until you hit Level 7-8, you're 100% safe from the bug.

Consoles are getting the patch later is likely due to the patch validation process that Sony/MS require.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The game has way more XP than you need anyway you end up way outlevelling the main quest if you do all the sidequests, losing a few days worth of quest XP is not the end of the world.

It is a pain in the arse if you were unaware of the bug though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure that I've gotten exp from level appropriate sidequests in the time since doing greyed out ones, so I wouldn't hedge my bets on that being the case personally.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, I never really ran into any issues with it either, might be random who it affects though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

It is a pain in the arse if you were unaware of the bug though.

I don't really see it - I feel way overlevelled already and the way things are going, I'm pretty sure I could beat the game without gaining any more XP (I'm level 21). I'm sure it's worse if you trigger it at level 9 or something, I was pretty eager to complete early quests asap. After a point, levels seem to stop mattering, I certainly don't care about level guidelines being much higher than me any more. It would be a bummer to not be able to use the best tier witcher armor.

It's definitely not consistent and I do gain some XP - not sure when I actually triggered it. I know main quests aren't affected, or weren't for me as of then, and I'm sure I did grey quests ages ago.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CalvinandHobbes posted:

If you haven't already, do some quests in Novigrad that put you up against the Witch Hunters (Triss' quests especially), they often drop dimeterium shackles that you can melt down.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Well, you need XP because red diamond enemies take little to no damage regardless of your spec/gear set up. Once you're in level range, you can wreck them with the exact same set up, but if they have a red diamond, no can do.

e: Once you're pretty high level (like 30 and up) you can find merchants on Skellige selling ingots for a lot of money each. I've heard that Hattori and such start selling too.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 17:26 on May 29, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

finally(big map spoiler):
http://witcher3map.com/v

Aurain posted:

Well, you need XP because red diamond enemies take little to no damage regardless of your spec/gear set up. Once you're in level range, you can wreck them with the exact same set up, but if they have a red diamond, no can do.

You certainly can if they're igni vulnerable, but fair point, it depends on your spec and earth elementals, etc are still gonna be hard.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Johnny is awesome. This whole quest is awesome. I feel like I could spend another 20 hours in Velen.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

At 18, should I finish up all the quests below me and then head to Skellige? Or just do it now? I don't like fast travelling so...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

finally(big map spoiler):
http://witcher3map.com/v

You certainly can if they're igni vulnerable, but fair point, it depends on your spec and earth elementals, etc are still gonna be hard.

If they are humans and you Axii them you can instantly kiil them regardless of power difference. Some stuff is just too hard to fight at low levels though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Schurik posted:

At 18, should I finish up all the quests below me and then head to Skellige? Or just do it now? I don't like fast travelling so...

Do whatever you feel like doing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Schurik posted:

There are more side quests below you just waiting to be had in skellige, you better get over there !!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

So I'm supposed to follow Triss somewhere to complete a quest, but she's stuck running into a wall. Reloading does not help and I can't move her. Anyone know what to do here?

EDIT:: Alright, solved it by racing ahead of Triss to the point where she gets stuck. God-drat mages.

EDIT:: Oh my loving God, she does it again...

anatomi fucked around with this message at 17:41 on May 29, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

anatomi posted:

God-drat mages.

Yeah, I think we should really show them by burning them alive!

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Levantine posted:

Gwent cards can be bought from Innkeepers exclusively. Also I recommend doing some quests in Novigrad as a story quest for a certain dwarf will unlock a bunch of powerful cards for you.

Deckbuilding stuff I immediately picked up on as someone who plays a lot of card games:

First thing. Start off using the Northern Realms and use the leader version that clears weather effects, you'll later switch to the one that double siege but early on you won't have enough siege.

Remove all weather events from your deck. You don't need them and they're too random. Some of the time you can meta against certain opponents by using them but generally keep them out of your deck and just be able to clear weather events yourself with 1/2 clear skies and/or the leader ability. Later on in the game you'll get Scorch which will kill the highest strength unit on the board and you'll want to use those. However what we really want is a thin deck in order to get our best cards more often. The minimum deck size is 22 units and you don't really want much more than that. Horns are good early when you have low value units most of the time but late game they turn your good units into targets for scorch which the AI will have in the better decks.

Training Dummy is an op card. Use as many of them as you can. The are powerful because they force your opponent to play cards or pass while keeping your board position the same after 2 plays. They become even better once you get cards that recur other cards from your discard or the dragon which destroys all close combat units of the highest value on your opponent's side if they have at least 10 total value. You'll need that to help beat high level Elves and Monster decks. Training Dummies essentially buy you turns so you can see what values your opponent will put down and where. In the early rounds this is essential for keeping your better units off the board and then winning with as few units as possible once you know where your opponent will pass.

Spies are another unit that seems terrible, but are actually really good. You're giving your opponent 1 unit of strength 4/5(the early spies) while you're drawing 2 cards even if both those cards are lovely 1 cost units it's ok. Winning at Gwent is about forcing your opponent to play cards or pass and let you over play to win. Dummys and Spies are a delaying tactic in order to draw out your opponents cards. Generally early on the opponent will sit with their weather cards as their last 2 cards, so really only figure on having to beat 8 of your opponents units. The key though is tempo. You want to either play crap to beat your opponents good cards, or play a couple high value heroes to force them to drop horns and then pass.

The hardest Gwent match I had in the game was against..Sasha? Semi-Finals in the Novigrad tournament. Her deck is like almost nothing but Spies, Heroes and Scorch cards. I entered the tournament very early when I had a faily moderate deck but was confident in my abilities and that was the only match in the game I had to swap in some different cards and work a different strategy to beat. What I would do is run a lot of 4+5s and a couple 6s/8s. I would drop an 8 Siege and then dropped a bunch of 4/5s CC, the 8 would eventually soak a scorch and then I'd drop a horn on my 4s/5s and win. It's a tough match if you get there before you have a decent deck.

It's a tough mindset to get into but basically you want what we competitively call card advantage(having more/better cards than your opponent) and to do so you need to force them to commit cards while you commit nothing. Geralt and Ciri are excellent because you can drop 1 and pass and you'll get to see at least 3 cards from your opponent before you need to play another 1. Remember that passing, or rather winning makes you play first. The Scoia'tel ability is actually kind of poo poo because going second is a million times better in this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Is there actually a way to undo the curse of the werewolf in Skellige? I tried every bit of food in my inventory and it didn't work and in the end my only option was to kill him :/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wait, what? If the XP bug is keeping me from leveling up past level 8 it sure as poo poo is affecting the game balance. What a lovely statement, they don't even mention how to avoid it.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Macaluso posted:

Is there actually a way to undo the curse of the werewolf in Skellige? I tried every bit of food in my inventory and it didn't work and in the end my only option was to kill him :/

I refuse to spoiler this out of contempt. You have to feed him his own flesh. It's in your quest items tab. You may have to scroll down due to poor UI. Eating his own flesh removes the curse. Yes, the same flesh he said he already ate in an earlier cutscene. Stupidest loving quest in the game combined with a relentlessly lovely area. (Also he'll come back if you just meditate a bit, you did not permanently kill him)

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Macaluso posted:

Yes. There's this guy at the docks in the town nearby (the quest actually sends you to him to collect information), and once you find the werewolf's diary, you can go back to him and confront him with the fact that he lied to you. He then reveals that he placed the curse on his former friend and will give you the item necessary to lift it.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Bort Bortles posted:

So I think I found 6 or 7 places of power in White Orchard and so far have only found three in Velen/Novigrad. Am I just bad or is the density much lower outside of White Orchard?

How do you get it?

Started playing gwent with the innkeeper in oxenfurt, who started a questline of winning rare cards in velen. At the end (or maybe before) I got a quest where I played improtant people in novigrad. it ended with a scoiatel elf in the woods south of novigrad, at their camp, who I won it from. You might be able to get it by just straight going to him. Can't open the game right now to check where he is exactly, sorry. It's by far the strongest card I've found to date tho.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

PaybackJack posted:

Gwent cards can be bought from Innkeepers exclusively. Also I recommend doing some quests in Novigrad as a story quest for a certain dwarf will unlock a bunch of powerful cards for you.

Deckbuilding stuff I immediately picked up on as someone who plays a lot of card games:

First thing. Start off using the Northern Realms and use the leader version that clears weather effects, you'll later switch to the one that double siege but early on you won't have enough siege.

Remove all weather events from your deck. You don't need them and they're too random. Some of the time you can meta against certain opponents by using them but generally keep them out of your deck and just be able to clear weather events yourself with 1/2 clear skies and/or the leader ability. Later on in the game you'll get Scorch which will kill the highest strength unit on the board and you'll want to use those. However what we really want is a thin deck in order to get our best cards more often. The minimum deck size is 22 units and you don't really want much more than that. Horns are good early when you have low value units most of the time but late game they turn your good units into targets for scorch which the AI will have in the better decks.

Training Dummy is an op card. Use as many of them as you can. The are powerful because they force your opponent to play cards or pass while keeping your board position the same after 2 plays. They become even better once you get cards that recur other cards from your discard or the dragon which destroys all close combat units of the highest value on your opponent's side if they have at least 10 total value. You'll need that to help beat high level Elves and Monster decks. Training Dummies essentially buy you turns so you can see what values your opponent will put down and where. In the early rounds this is essential for keeping your better units off the board and then winning with as few units as possible once you know where your opponent will pass.

Spies are another unit that seems terrible, but are actually really good. You're giving your opponent 1 unit of strength 4/5(the early spies) while you're drawing 2 cards even if both those cards are lovely 1 cost units it's ok. Winning at Gwent is about forcing your opponent to play cards or pass and let you over play to win. Dummys and Spies are a delaying tactic in order to draw out your opponents cards. Generally early on the opponent will sit with their weather cards as their last 2 cards, so really only figure on having to beat 8 of your opponents units. The key though is tempo. You want to either play crap to beat your opponents good cards, or play a couple high value heroes to force them to drop horns and then pass.

The hardest Gwent match I had in the game was against..Sasha? Semi-Finals in the Novigrad tournament. Her deck is like almost nothing but Spies, Heroes and Scorch cards. I entered the tournament very early when I had a faily moderate deck but was confident in my abilities and that was the only match in the game I had to swap in some different cards and work a different strategy to beat. What I would do is run a lot of 4+5s and a couple 6s/8s. I would drop an 8 Siege and then dropped a bunch of 4/5s CC, the 8 would eventually soak a scorch and then I'd drop a horn on my 4s/5s and win. It's a tough match if you get there before you have a decent deck.

It's a tough mindset to get into but basically you want what we competitively call card advantage(having more/better cards than your opponent) and to do so you need to force them to commit cards while you commit nothing. Geralt and Ciri are excellent because you can drop 1 and pass and you'll get to see at least 3 cards from your opponent before you need to play another 1. Remember that passing, or rather winning makes you play first. The Scoia'tel ability is actually kind of poo poo because going second is a million times better in this game.

Thank you for this - I think I've relied too heavily on using weather cards even though I'm using that Foltest you recommend. I'll look at taking them out and trying to draw more face cards instead. I do alright against really bum opponents but the quest guys are tough.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Macaluso posted:

One of the keys you find in the area opens a couple of rooms in one of the buildings. You find a note where you discover the witness you talked to was full of poo poo. Go back to him and he has an item you can use to turn him back into a human. You can at this point choose to let him go or kill him for good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I've mostly been ignoring Gwent so far, about to head to Skellige for the first time. Can I safely hold off on any Gwent related quests til after I finish the main story, or do some disappear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
Romance question:
I already did a Triss playthough and now want to do a Yennefer playthrough, but don't want to go all the way back to the beginning. I have a save where I made out with Triss. Will that prevent a Yennefer romance or is it only based on sleeping with the other person?

If you romance Yen is she less caustic to you over the course of the game?