Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
No one mentioned this, but if you lose your only engine over the Canadian Arctic you're dead. We don't have a working coast guard to save our pilots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

EvilJoven posted:

Just like I posted in the GBS thread, 99% of the time the tasks that get assigned to our air force could be achieved with a tacticlol version of an Air Tractor.

Buy some of these for when our government demands the blood of goat herders with AKs and one squadron of Rafales so we can pretend we have the ability to fight off a Russian air assault.

Strangely charming in its horrifying ugliness.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

Just like I posted in the GBS thread, 99% of the time the tasks that get assigned to our air force could be achieved with a tacticlol version of an Air Tractor.

Buy some of these for when our government demands the blood of goat herders with AKs and one squadron of Rafales so we can pretend we have the ability to fight off a Russian air assault.

Super Tucanos for everyone you say

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Good. We save money when we reduce the number of pilots in the cf.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

MA-Horus posted:

Pretty sure bombardier is done.

This is the overwhelming public sentiment, but with their backlog, assets and functional transportation division (which rivals aerospace), I'm suspicious that the image is being leveraged to secure sweet federal dollars. The Chinese buyout offer last year, for half the company, was enough to pay off all debts + a couple billion and leave aerospace intact. I bought 20k shares at 90 cents last week, and while the odds of losing that money are non-zero, I'm simultaneously confident in Bombardier's recovery and willing to lose that money.

edit: I should add that all of their recent dealings included options to buy-back full control/profit.

Wasting fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 30, 2016

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

literally not possible anymore.

Not with that attitude. :colbert:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

This is a company that can't sell its airplanes and hosed up so royally the TTC's streetcars that they don't fit in the goddamn barns, and have horrid quality issues.

I work in manufacturing, in a QA role. I would be ashamed to put out garbage product like that.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go

MA-Horus posted:

This is a company that can't sell its airplanes and hosed up so royally the TTC's streetcars that they don't fit in the goddamn barns, and have horrid quality issues.

I work in manufacturing, in a QA role. I would be ashamed to put out garbage product like that.

No doubt, there are problems. Your view is justified but simple.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Well the streetcar is an endemic problem, the direct result of going with the lowest bidder, who is then forced to cut costs in order to achieve their pricing goal while ignoring overall cost of quality.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
Bombardier doesn't deserve much of a pass on the streetcar issue -- the bidding system was designed with requirements that all but guaranteed they'd win the contract. Lack of quality control in Mexico and obstinate management (or union, depending on your politics) in Thunder Bay led to the issues here.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MA-Horus posted:

Well the streetcar is an endemic problem, the direct result of going with the lowest bidder, who is then forced to cut costs in order to achieve their pricing goal while ignoring overall cost of quality.

Imagine if they were 5 the generation stealth street cars

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Wasting posted:

I'm simultaneously confident in Bombardier's recovery and willing to lose that money.

I love this investment strategy. If Bombardier could just lock in Alicia Keys as their creative director, I think their made in Canada comeback will be guaranteed.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
No one mentioned the other issue I brought up with Bombardier, especially with regard to the C-Series, which is that the aircraft procurement market tends to have a lot of political involvement. No one's rushing to ingratiate themselves to Canada they same they would to a European consortium, China, Japan, or (if you're in the CIS) the Russians. Whether the C-Series is better than the competition is irrelevant in a lot of cases.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Bombardier has the capability and capacity to actually be a real force in multiple areas. Too bad their management and ownership have the IQ of plankton.

e: Actually Im pretty sure that sums up every Canadian company left. Except Hootsuite.

Wasting
Apr 25, 2013

The next to go
I already put my money where my mouth is. We'll see.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Bombardier has the capability and capacity to actually be a real force in multiple areas. Too bad their management and ownership have the IQ of plankton.

e: Actually Im pretty sure that sums up every Canadian company left. Except Hootsuite.

Thankfully not mine. We tend to see where the tide is going and adjust accordingly. New sales dropping off? Focus on refurbishment. Buy smaller companies making speciality products and use our industrial capability to increase production. Spend a boatload on R&D to break into new markets. It's pretty nice to work for a Canadian company that doesn't rest on its laurels and actually innovates.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I just slammed the door in the face of a Melanie mark canvasser

:feelsgood:

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Feb 2, 2016

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Our next war absolutely needs stealth. Also it might be on the moon so let's make sure it can get to the moon too. It's idiotic to double down on previous earth wars.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Coylter posted:

Actually i'm not handwaving it at all. It's something i had not considered in Canada's case. If there is a good point of contention that might be it. It would have to be weighted against the price of procuring new tankers or adapting existing ones.

As for engines just breaking down on their own that is very very rare.
In addition to the tanker, there's the cost of the plane proper.

A Super Hornet runs about $60 mil, flyaway cost, and since we already fly F-18s there's a lot of interoperability with training, weaponry, tankers, etc. This is what Australia bought to replace their aging F-18s.

The Eurofighter and Rafale both run about $100 mil flyaway cost. More expensive, but potentially more capable, and in the case of the Rafale there might be more industrial offsets than buying an off-the-shelf option from Boeing.

The per-unit cost of an F-35 is currently about $100 mil, WITHOUT THE ENGINE. Also apparently you have to buy a giant-rear end $400K helmet to make it work, which has the unfortunate side effect of turning everyone who ejects from the cockpit into Goose from Top Gun.

We don't need a stealthy plane, we don't need a VTOL plane, and we sure as hell don't need a completely unproven plane. Oh, and a second engine would be nice, just in case.

Here, read this thread: Lightning II never strikes the same place twice

Also a much more in-depth look at Foxtrot Alpha.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Melian Dialogue posted:

Yes, great idea, let's only plan for the next conflict/war by completely doubling down on our experiences in the last one. Worked real well for Afghanistan when we came in and operated like we're breaking through the Fulda Gap.

The problem with Afghanistan is that we went there in the first place. A shitload of people are dead, a lot of resources we could have used on something worthwhile have been wasted, and if anything we're less safe than ever.

Having a poo poo air force may be the best way to avoid getting dragged into the next insane American imperialist adventure and that's totally fine by me.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So afghanistan, syria, bad.

Oh wait now we're not invited to high level military meetings? ummmm but we're a g8 country and u need 2 respec

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 2, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Melian Dialogue posted:

Yeah that's pretty naive to think Canada won't send its military abroad because the CAF won't have the proper equipment. Hell, I'm pretty sure that sending the CAF with improper equipment is literally the rule of thumb, so I don't know where you got that idea.

Perhaps the sane response here is to let the CAF continue as a welfare program / reserve snow shoveling brigade for those really bad blizzards that come along once a decade or so rather than wasting more money on an air force that will, at best, prove useless and, at worst, will actively contribute to making the world a worse place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Melian Dialogue posted:

I don't think getting an aircraft can do more than one thing is planning to invade the moon. Note I'm also not really a big fan of the F-35.

Yeah that's pretty naive to think Canada won't send its military abroad because the CAF won't have the proper equipment. Hell, I'm pretty sure that sending the CAF with improper equipment is literally the rule of thumb, so I don't know where you got that idea.

It's pretty naive to think Canada will send its military abroad to fight anyone who has any capability beyond mounting cannons to pickup trucks with steel plate welded on the sides with a little slightly more advanced 1970s era Soviet export weaponry mixed in. The big punch up between us and China or Russia or North Korea just isn't going to happen at this point and if it does having a handful of stupidly expensive planes is going to make no difference in the conflict.

Buying top of the line first strike multirole stealth fighters is loving retarded. Buying the garbage plane the USA is trying to sell us is so far beyond loving retarded you can't even see loving retarded from where that piece of poo poo airplane is permanently parked because it's not airworthy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The F-35 isn't even a good plane for the USA given its insanely stupid attempt at being all things to all forces rather than having specialized airframes, but that's a reflection of America's own problems with procurement. Any one of the four primary options on the table (Super Hornet, Rafale, Eurofighter, and F-35--I guess you could probably include the Gripen here too if you wanted) would be more than capable of what the Canadian Air Force actually has to do, which is patrolling the Arctic and occasionally taking part in other countries' overseas military adventures. Since any of them would do, it seems self-evident to me that the best thing to do is pick one that's been proven through years of use in another country and isn't horrifically expensive, so that we can either a) save money and spend it on better things; or b) buy more planes if we're unwilling to cut the defence budget. I think either of those criteria rules out the F-35, which from everything I've read appears to be the most expensive and simultaneously least reliable option, with the least benefits to Canada when compared to Dassault's willingness to locate the entire Rafale production process in Canada.

We would be stupid to pick the F-35 just because our military top brass really loves rubbing shoulders with the American top brass and they want to have the same toys to play with. The F-35 is an enormous boondoggle that the US can't get out of due to sunk costs, but that isn't true for us and we absolutely could choose a better plane--although this would require a modicum of actual leadership from our military and political elites, so it may be a bridge too far to expect anything other than the worst possible option.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey you dumb asses. We need the f35 because we need to integrate into us military supply chains because the cf, if ever deployed is just as proxy. Holy gently caress it's not hard

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

Hey you dumb asses. We need the f35 because we need to integrate into us military supply chains because the cf, if ever deployed is just as proxy. Holy gently caress it's not hard

A pretty good argument against the F-35 is that it integrates into US supply chains and therefore not having it discourages us from getting involved in US military adventures.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Well then maybe you chicken hawk motherfuckers should shut the gently caress up about the glorious cf

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Tochiazuma posted:

They weren't from Peterborough not that it matters since you can find stupid people of all ages pretty much anywhere

That particular stretch of the Ottonabee river is nasty - so many eddies and undercurrents, and unexpected drop-offs. Seems like every decade there's a drowning on that river - be it from divers off the parkdale bridge, or swimmers at the old Inverlea beach site, or boaters that tip and don't wear a lifejacket.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Can't wait for our new rafale squadrons to precision bomb humanitarian aid into war torn regions. Romeo dallaire didn't plus his pants on a park bench for nothing after all.

Melian Dialogue
Jan 9, 2015

NOT A RACIST
--

Melian Dialogue fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 2, 2016

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Cultural Imperial posted:

Can't wait for our new rafale squadrons to precision bomb humanitarian aid into war torn regions. Romeo dallaire didn't plus his pants on a park bench for nothing after all.

You had me at everything up to Dallaire

Don't bad mouth that man you prick.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Melian Dialogue posted:

You do realize there is the potential conflicts anywhere along the spectrum in between "Afghanistan pick up trucks" and "Full-blown Nuclear war with Russia and China", right? I mean okay, don't get the F-35, but if you honestly think all we need are just air-to-ground stuff because "Well, last conflict was Afghanistan, so every conflict after that will be the same :downs:"

It may be a spectrum, but since we can't even handle the former, the latter is pretty much going to proceed without us. If you're that concerned about fighting tomorrow's war then why not just build a massive drone fleet, because we're not going to be doing air-to-air dogfighting against a modern enemy in whatever rickety tins we manage to procure.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Because drones aren't there yet.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MA-Horus posted:

Because drones aren't there yet.

And neither is the F35. We're not fighting tomorrow's war, we can't even fight today's war, and frankly it's unclear why we should be focusing the pitiful resources we spend on CAF on doing so.

Edit: To be clearer, I think there's an important conversation to be had about the role of the CAF, and I think it would be worth entertaining the possibility that maybe Canada doesn't have a place on the front lines.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 31, 2016

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

You had me at everything up to Dallaire

Don't bad mouth that man you prick.

I hope you secretly hate Dallaire and were cleverly baiting CI into attacking him because now we're probably gonna be hearing about what a shithead he is for the next six to twelve months.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Helsing posted:

I hope you secretly hate Dallaire and were cleverly baiting CI into attacking him because now we're probably gonna be hearing about what a shithead he is for the next six to twelve months.

But...he's not a poo poo head? In any way? Is CI just gonna make stuff up or something?

Seriously, how do you attack a guy like Romeo Dallaire and not feel like human garbage?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

MA-Horus posted:

But...he's not a poo poo head? In any way? Is CI just gonna make stuff up or something?

Seriously, how do you attack a guy like Romeo Dallaire and not feel like human garbage?

Maybe he smoked weed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

MA-Horus posted:

gently caress the army, and its generals, imo