Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Give that Google Fit is an atrocity of an app which seems to get worse every time they update it and now won't even let me add activities to it, can anyone recommend a decent (ad free, but don't mind spending a couple of quid if necessary) fitness tracking alternative? I really just need it to count steps and let me record my physio workouts without making a big loving song and dance about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

You should probably just get a Fitbit or one of those mi bands

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skarsnik posted:

You should probably just get a Fitbit or one of those mi bands

I'm personally considering that. I can't believe that Google messed up the Fit app bad enough that I'm going to buy extra hardware as a workaround.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

while the mi band is good, can't you just press the plus button in the google fit app and tap track workout? it works for when I walk and seems to have a p good amount of options for activities

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I mainly just want a passive tracker and a central place to keep my data. I noticed this weekend that the app hasn't tracked any activity between Sept 7 and Oct 30, which is weird because I've gotten a handful of notifications from the app in that time.

I've also had it do weird things like congratulate me on my activity while I was riding in a car and tell me I had a nice bike ride while I was standing up at a concert.

Since the update, they got rid of all your goals except for time based ones. Used to be you could set calories or steps as a goal instead.

It works just fine when I use Strava to input my bike rides, except there's a bunch of rides that the Fit app is missing from the 7 week gap.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Step trackers in phones just aren't very good unfortunately

I wear a fitbit and have fit running too on my pixel. My step count on both for Saturday in work differ by 8000 steps and I had the phone on me the whole time

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Skarsnik posted:

Step trackers in phones just aren't very good unfortunately

I wear a fitbit and have fit running too on my pixel. My step count on both for Saturday in work differ by 8000 steps and I had the phone on me the whole time

Step trackers strapped to your wrist aren't either, though.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Step trackers are all pretty much entertainment devices. I don't think there's a real medical one that would do the same thing accurately...if so, it's thousands of dollars, not like...twenty or fifty.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Blue Train posted:

while the mi band is good, can't you just press the plus button in the google fit app and tap track workout? it works for when I walk and seems to have a p good amount of options for activities

Used to be able to, but it keeps just hanging and refusing to add when I do that now. Guess I'll just switch to using an .xls or something, like it's 1998.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Step trackers are all pretty much entertainment devices. I don't think there's a real medical one that would do the same thing accurately...if so, it's thousands of dollars, not like...twenty or fifty.

They did a study with like 13 trackers with the actual step counts and they were all within 5% of actual which is pretty good for a device that isn't even strapped to the thing doing the stepping.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't really care about step counts but I would really like an app that easily does the following:

1) Let me log my weight on a weekly basis and show an average trendline (this is just about the only thing that the Google Fit app does well).
2) Let me log workouts after the fact without making me want to kill myself. Whoever designed the workout time selection options in Fit needs to be fired and never allowed to work on phone apps again.
3) Let me see long term trends for the same workout (like pace / distance / calories burned for the rowing machine).

Most apps do 2 well, 1 reasonably well, and can't handle 3.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I didn't know it could do number 1. I've just had a Google sheet that I added a plot graph to with trend line and preset it with the next few months of dates and entering in weight one day at a time. Works like a charm

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Montalvo posted:

I don't really care about step counts but I would really like an app that easily does the following:

1) Let me log my weight on a weekly basis and show an average trendline (this is just about the only thing that the Google Fit app does well).
2) Let me log workouts after the fact without making me want to kill myself. Whoever designed the workout time selection options in Fit needs to be fired and never allowed to work on phone apps again.
3) Let me see long term trends for the same workout (like pace / distance / calories burned for the rowing machine).

Does MyFitnessPal not do this?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If you get a Garmin fitness tracker, their app does all that.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Montalvo posted:

Fucken word. It was bad to start with and the last update actually made it worse by forcing you to enter specific times rather than just a duration. Absolutely moronic.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Is there a podcast app that will let me also play music in the background? Hoping to listen to some running podcasts while running but still be able to play some tunes from DI.fm or Spotify

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Syrinxx posted:

Is there a podcast app that will let me also play music in the background? Hoping to listen to some running podcasts while running but still be able to play some tunes from DI.fm or Spotify

You mean overlay the podcast audio on top of music?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Heners_UK posted:

You mean overlay the podcast audio on top of music?
Yep. Nike + Run Club does this for their guided runs but hoping there's a podcast player that can as well.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Pipski posted:

Fucken word. It was bad to start with and the last update actually made it worse by forcing you to enter specific times rather than just a duration. Absolutely moronic.

It became even more infuriating when they imposed that arbitrary 1 hour length on all activities, such that you have to adjust the start and finish times like 3 times. And then you get it wrong by like a minute and it tells you you can't add a future activity. I swear I get more vascular in the arms from raging at this dumbass app than I do from doing any actual exercise.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Syrinxx posted:

I just tested with Beyondpod, and if I start the music first, and then the podcast, they will play on top of each other.

Black King Conga
Mar 30, 2011

Montalvo posted:

3) Let me see long term trends for the same workout (like
pace / distance / calories burned for the rowing machine).

I've been using Strong for my lifts for quite some time now. Not sure if it will satisfy all your requirements but it should do fine for 1 & 2. You can even add exercises if it's not on the list.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.strongapp.strong

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Black King Conga posted:

I've been using Strong for my lifts for quite some time now. Not sure if it will satisfy all your requirements but it should do fine for 1 & 2. You can even add exercises if it's not on the list.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=io.strongapp.strong

ive been using strong for lifting since january and its been almost completely hassle free

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Does it track cardio stats? I don't really lift.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Yup you can log to an exercise.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Montalvo posted:

Does it track cardio stats? I don't really lift.

You should.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

vyst posted:

You should.

Not the place dude.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

vyst posted:

You should.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Anyway yeah Strong looks like it'll do. Shame the subscription cost is quite steep in order to get charts and stuff, but I can just download my data and do that myself.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
New to Fenix and newish to Android. What's the shortcut to getting to the top of your Twitter feed? Because of the election I had 3000+ new tweets on my feed and I almost broke my finger swiping to try and get to the top.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

iddqd posted:

New to Fenix and newish to Android. What's the shortcut to getting to the top of your Twitter feed? Because of the election I had 3000+ new tweets on my feed and I almost broke my finger swiping to try and get to the top.

Click on the number and it'll take you to the top.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

calandryll posted:

Click on the number and it'll take you to the top.

Excellent. Thank you. I know this is the second time I've posted in this thread in the last week about getting to the top of apps (so incredibly used to the iPhone tap at the top) but it really is my only gripe so far about Android.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

iddqd posted:

Excellent. Thank you. I know this is the second time I've posted in this thread in the last week about getting to the top of apps (so incredibly used to the iPhone tap at the top) but it really is my only gripe so far about Android.

I feel like a lot of apps will jump to the top if you tap certain elements (usually the app name) near the top of the screen. Offhand, I know Instagram, Fenix, and the official Twitter app all do. Android really likes to have less than obvious actions sprinkled throughout.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I just tested with Beyondpod, and if I start the music first, and then the podcast, they will play on top of each other.
Thanks for testing! Going running in the morning and will hopefully be able to do this on my S9+

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Is an app like Tasker the only way to set my phone to mute when connected to my watch and to ring whenever it's out of range?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Tasker would be overkill, something like trigger would work

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

seravid posted:

Is an app like Tasker the only way to set my phone to mute when connected to my watch and to ring whenever it's out of range?
Doesn't Wear OS have this exact option built in? I can't remember if it's on the phone or the watch.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Skarsnik posted:

Tasker would be overkill, something like trigger would work

Trigger would be perfect, except it can only put the phone on vibrate or DND. Can't seem to put it on mute, for some reason.

Tunga posted:

Doesn't Wear OS have this exact option built in? I can't remember if it's on the phone or the watch.

It might, but I'm using a Fitbit.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

seravid posted:

Trigger would be perfect, except it can only put the phone on vibrate or DND. Can't seem to put it on mute, for some reason.

I think you can set media/ringtone/notification volume, will it let you set them all to zero?

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I tried that, but it still sets to vibrate. Guess I'll have to find some other app.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Has Maps navigation been acting up for anyone else? Since yesterday it's been fake-crashing every minute or so -- what I mean is, it actually is navigating, but then it has a pop-up saying it's not responding, asking me to close the app or wait. If I choose to wait it continues navigating... then the pop-up happens again. Additionally, there's no blue line showing the route, even though it is indeed navigating.

I guess I'll probably shut my phone off and see if that helps, but I won't be navigating again until tonight, so I won't immediately know if it's fixed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I've had vaguely similar problems with Maps in Auto and rebooting the phone was how I fixed it.