Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

veedubfreak posted:

Eh? In tier 3 roughly 75% of the team is using lrms.

They usually suck horribly at target prioritization, though. I tried a TAG/Narc Raven in the solo queue for a while just for shits and giggles and it took teammates a really long time to start hitting whatever I had marked, if they ever got around to it at all. Usually it's more important for them to fling 150 missiles per salvo at the Jenner that was the first contact of the match who is now scarpering around 1500m away from them. Or else they're denting the finish on an Arctic Cheetah 30m away with unprimed missiles because they don't realize IS LRMs have a minimum range and they didn't bother to fit 2 tons of backup energy weapons on their 90-ton LRM boat.

I had an idea that Narcs would be a nice cat-herding tool since they keep targets lit even without LOS, and pubs often swarm like moths to a flame towards whatever red blips they can find, but it didn't even really work for that. Probably the swarming instinct loses out to the intense drive to hump hard cover for five minutes every time someone tickles them with a medium laser at 450m. Why that instinct in turn completely fails when they're under fire from five ERLLs, two Gauss, and assorted LRMs, allowing them to stand stock-still on top of a ridge for the twelve seconds it takes them to melt, is a mystery.

Bolow posted:

Oh didn't realize the prime had a laser hard point in the head :v:

I'll keep that in mind after I finish basic'ing the D

something something basic this D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Fans posted:

I didn't even realize that. Never seen someone actually use the lockon SRM's. The dumbfire ones just seem better in every way.

They serve different roles

Streaks are basically there in order to invalidate light 'mechs within a 360m radius. Five Streak-6s is a 60-point alpha, all of which is guaranteed to hit a robot if it's not behind cover.

Now, if you compare that to an equivalent number of SRM6As, it looks worse. The streaks scatter damage and don't fire as fast, so heavier 'mechs can just soak the damage and kill you easily. Regular SRMs can hit the same spot (roughly) over and over again, making them very deadly.

The thing with light 'mechs is that it's tougher a) to hit them with SRMs and b) to hit the same component with all your SRMs. Easier now than it used to be, but still difficult. Since light 'mechs have very little armor, you trade damage scattering for the certainty that you'll be taking off 25% of their armor with a single alpha. If RNG is on your side, you can one-shot IS 'mechs by blowing out a torso -- even if you get unlucky, one alpha has probably opened a component or turned a bunch of components red

This also applies to lighter mediums like Cicadas, Shadow Cats, or Blackjacks

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Had a few matches last night with an Urbamech (UM-R63) running around the heels of his clanmate in a Banshee like they were that old looney toon with the jack russell and the bulldog. Comically effective.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

-29 Million Cbills :rip:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

RIP everyone who just spent 65m

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Mastapeace

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

:laffo: no loving way?

:perfect: :pgi:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Lmao :pgi: once again showing they suck at mostly everything.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Klisejo posted:

Mastapeace

Hey you might be in the green by the time the kodiak comes out

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Talmonis posted:

Had a few matches last night with an Urbamech (UM-R63) running around the heels of his clanmate in a Banshee like they were that old looney toon with the jack russell and the bulldog. Comically effective.

Here's a straight up superior version. UM-R63. Now you can go 91.8kph before speed tweak, and more engine speed means faster turning/torso twist too.

You may also consider swapping the medium laser for a pair of smalls, or swap the AC/10 for an LB/10X and throw on more ammo/a second medium laser.

Some day, you'll put on the three MGs and realize that since machineguns absolutely wreck internal structure, you can do incredible amounts of work by sticking with the big mechs and spraying down anyone with open torsos. Something like this works surprisingly well and gives you the option to carefully stick your head out and do something at mid range.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
I have -39 million c-bills, nice. At least I got 3 ravens and 3 maulers fully kitted out.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
How the gently caress do you get negative cbills.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Endbuster posted:

How the gently caress do you get negative cbills.

Klisejo posted:

Yeah, I just bought $50 and it gave me 65m cbills, not 6.5m like the ad says.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Klisejo posted:

Mastapeace

If you expected anything else than exactly this, i dont even know...

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Wait, jesus christ did you spend $100 on MC for the cbill bonuses?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

FYI with negative cbills you cannot change the loadout or customize anything. Not camo, not your cockpit. Not a loving thing

:pgi:

Bolow fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 22, 2016

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

I have a lot more money than sense.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You managed to spend almost all of the money and ALL of the MC. What the gently caress did you buy? :stare:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Bolow posted:

FYI with negative cbills you cannot change the loadout or customize anything. Not camo, not your cockpit. Not a loving thing

Hahahahahahahahaha

19 are they going to address this or are you guys just going to lose players

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Woooow. I was so sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to claw those c-bills back. It is staggeringly dumb customer service to repossess a moderate quantity of imaginary fun bucks you accidentally handed out to customers who just gave you fifty real United States dollars. In this age of Steam sales people can go out and buy multiple full games for that much money.

So the windfall amount was what, a little under 60M? With premium time and a hero mech you can pull in between 5M and 10M c-bills a week with a very casual schedule. So it amounted to maybe 3 months of c-bills for someone who plays less than an hour a day. I mean it's not totally insignificant but cripes, they're the ones who hosed up!

Bolow posted:

:lol: forever

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Holy gently caress :pgi:

I honestly didn't even see that coming. Good job giving them ideas, you bads.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lol

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bolow posted:

I don't really care about the c-bills since I got so much for them but you can't even change the camo or cockpit items? That suuuuuuucks

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Another neat thing about :pgi:.

If you look at the packs sold on steam, they all have a *refunds not available.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This is so wonderfully amazing :pgi:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Drythe posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha

19 are they going to address this or are you guys just going to lose players

I'm talking to him in jabber so things may be happening :ssh:

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
I'm honestly amazed that :pgi: considers 6.5M Cbills to be worth 50 bucks. That's not even a decent assault or heavy; hell even a decently kitted light or medium is going to eat all of that.

50 bucks for less than a single mech worth of C-Bills is a retarded bad deal; especially when you consider that hero mechs don't even run that much if you buy them for straight MC.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

NatasDog posted:

I'm honestly amazed that :pgi: considers 6.5M Cbills to be worth 50 bucks. That's not even a decent assault or heavy; hell even a decently kitted light or medium is going to eat all of that.

50 bucks for less than a single mech worth of C-Bills is a retarded bad deal; especially when you consider that hero mechs don't even run that much if you buy them for straight MC.

Are you not aware that the c-bills were a bonus for buying a $50 package of MC...?

Oh Snapple! posted:

This is so wonderfully amazing :pgi:

It really is. You have to go to some kind of special school and study hard to be this bad at customer relationship management. Just astonishing to see in action.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 22, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NatasDog posted:

It was $50 for 12,000 MC. There were a bunch of promotions over the last week and they changed as time passed. The 6.5 million cbills were just a bonus from that.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

veedubfreak posted:

Another neat thing about :pgi:.

If you look at the packs sold on steam, they all have a *refunds not available.

Thats pretty normal for f2p games since valve can't hop over to pgi servers and muck with their stuff.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
OK then, I'm the retarded one. I haven't looked at the offer being that I'm at work; I just assumed it was straight cash for C-Bills. Still amazed that they went the route of dropping anyone who took advantage of it into negative C-Bills though, that's a pretty ballsy way of punishing their player base for a gently caress up on their end.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I told you this would happen. I told you all!

Never doubt how bad they are.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It's legitimately dumb. 65 mil sounds like a lot but...it isn't, honestly, not with how much poo poo costs. And it's not going to help you out any with the real purchasing barrier in mechbays.

Like you can legitimately blow through nearly a third of that cash buying and outfitting a single Dire Wolf.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 22, 2016

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Raged posted:

I told you this would happen. I told you all!

Never doubt how bad they are.

I want to say that the :10bux: met the :pgi: halfway on this one.

e: except for the inability to edit your mech ahahahaha holy poo poo

Sard fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 22, 2016

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
I bet if they offered a 65 mil cbill bonus they would have sold a ton of the 50$ packs.

e: also Bolow I was with you in the alpine conquest a bit ago, Upinya was there as well on his roomates account. The game where the last enemy was a single ac2 huggin.

TeeMerk fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 22, 2016

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's so amazing that you can't even edit your mech, pgi I love how retarded you are.

You're like the puppy no one wants to adopt and I bring you home to laugh at running into walls.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

TeeMerk posted:

I bet if they offered a 65 mil cbill bonus they would have sold a ton of the 50$ packs.

we had this discussion i believe.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

TeeMerk posted:

e: also Bolow I was with you in the alpine conquest a bit ago, Upinya was there as well on his roomates account. The game where the last enemy was a single ac2 huggin.

Christ that guy :cripes:

Also good news from the top secret WoL jabber

*nope*

Bolow fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 22, 2016

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
just chiming in to say

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Bolow posted:

FYI with negative cbills you cannot change the loadout or customize anything.

I'm in Robot Debtors prison. 100m in the hole and cant use the robots I'm 100m in the hole for. And I paid for that poo poo to happen.

I feel like I should get a bridge line with my Nigerian Prince and my Psychic buddy and hash this out with my inner manchild.

• Locked thread