Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

computer parts posted:

I'm only ironically being racist.

Works for Watto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

computer parts posted:

Maybe true for ANH, the others have decent copies.

The bigger issues are 1) Fox has control over the first six films until at least 2020 (they have ANH in perpetuity) and 2) Star Wars fans will buy anything with Star Wars on it so there's literally no reason to release the originals. The Blu-Ray sales of the OT which were "utterly terrible" (in terms of perceived quality) were still much higher than most franchises.

I don't know for sure what percentage of Star Wars fans would spend their hard-earned money on a copy of the original, unaltered trilogy while already having a copy of the special editions is. But given that we're dealing with nerds, I imagine that the number is distressingly high.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Cnut the Great posted:

George Lucas on the set of Attack of the Clones:

That T-shirt has a quote from a piece The New Yorker published just prior to the theatrical re-release of the original trilogy in 1997. It's a summation of the writer's opinion about the original Star Wars:

"....a film with comic-book characters, an unbelievable story, no political or social commentary, lousy acting, preposterous dialogue, and a ridiculously simplistic morality. In other words, a BAD MOVIE."

The reason he never took the criticisms about the acting and dialogue in the prequels very seriously is because he'd already heard all the same poo poo before, except it used to be about the originals. Sure, most people liked the originals when they first came out, but there was also always a small group of cynics hanging around shouting about how much Star Wars sucked, how it relied too much on special effects, and how riddled it was with bad acting and terrible dialogue.

Over the years, this small group of cynics became larger and larger, until, as is the way with these things, they slowly and subtly started to become a more dominant influence on the culture. No one wanted pulp fantasy and fairy tales anymore; they wanted gritty, "realistic" thrillers with hard-boiled antiheroes spouting ironic one-liners. It got to the point where he re-released the original movies, and now there were people in major publications making GBS threads all over them, claiming the only reason the originals got a pass was because they came out at the right time and got everyone swept up in the moment.

So now, with all this in his mind, he goes to make the prequels, doing largely the same thing he's always done. He finishes Episode I, everyone goes to see it, initial reactions from people seem to be pretty positive...but then over the course of the next couple of days a narrative has taken hold about what an awful disappointment it is, how it relies too much on special effects, and how it's riddled with bad acting and terrible dialogue. Lucas goes on record as saying he's not that surprised at the reaction, and indeed there are quotes from before the movie was even released where he says he's expecting half the audience to hate it.

Seems to me the prequel backlash just confirmed to Lucas that the cynical mindset he encountered back when he made the originals was simply on a cultural upswing. And I think he was right. Stylistically, the prequels and the originals aren't that different from each other. The contemporary criticisms of both trilogies are pretty much exactly the same; they're so similar it's eerie. The only thing that changed is the how loud the criticisms got.

This is such bullshit, and doesn't explain why or how people who loved the original trilogy hated the prequels. I certainly wasn't a cynic when I watched the Phantom Menace, and it horrified me. Stylistically, the two trilogies are very, very different.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Serf posted:

I thought the rumor was that the original masters are damaged or something? Because if not, it seems like Disney would be releasing those originals ASAP. I gotta imagine there's gold in them thar hills.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/tangled-rights-could-tie-up-384541
Fox owns the rights to the original trilogy till 2020, and A New Hope in particular for forever. So first Disney needs to cut a deal with Fox (and nothing has moved since that article was published in 2012 afaik).

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

except the part where he withholds the original versions of his movies. That's lovely.

It's a pretty minor issue. Most of the SE changes were improvements to the point of going unnoticed, and anybody seriously aggrieved over them can track down the Unspecialized Edition or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Serf posted:

I don't know for sure what percentage of Star Wars fans would spend their hard-earned money on a copy of the original, unaltered trilogy while already having a copy of the special editions is. But given that we're dealing with nerds, I imagine that the number is distressingly high.

The point is that most of that distressingly high percentage would buy any version of the OT.

Releasing an "untouched" version is going to be Disney's "Final Fantasy 7 remake" for the Star Wars franchise if & when it becomes old and tired because they're making a movie every year. And even then, it's bare minimum 5 years from now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Motto posted:

It's a pretty minor issue. Most of the SE changes were improvements to the point of going unnoticed, and anybody seriously aggrieved over them can track down the Unspecialized Edition or whatever.

No, it's a big issue. And they are not the same as having a full HD perfectly done blu ray version of the original films. Until I get those,

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

computer parts posted:

I'm only ironically being racist.

gently caress you
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Cnut the Great posted:

That T-shirt has a quote from a piece The New Yorker published just prior to the theatrical re-release of the original trilogy in 1997. It's a summation of the writer's opinion about the original Star Wars:

"....a film with comic-book characters, an unbelievable story, no political or social commentary, lousy acting, preposterous dialogue, and a ridiculously simplistic morality. In other words, a BAD MOVIE."

The reason he never took the criticisms about the acting and dialogue in the prequels very seriously is because he'd already heard all the same poo poo before, except it used to be about the originals. Sure, most people liked the originals when they first came out, but there was also always a small group of cynics hanging around shouting about how much Star Wars sucked, how it relied too much on special effects, and how riddled it was with bad acting and terrible dialogue.

Over the years, this small group of cynics became larger and larger, until, as is the way with these things, they slowly and subtly started to become a more dominant influence on the culture. No one wanted pulp fantasy and fairy tales anymore; they wanted gritty, "realistic" thrillers with hard-boiled antiheroes spouting ironic one-liners. It got to the point where he re-released the original movies, and now there were people in major publications making GBS threads all over them, claiming the only reason the originals got a pass was because they came out at the right time and got everyone swept up in the moment.

So now, with all this in his mind, he goes to make the prequels, doing largely the same thing he's always done. He finishes Episode I, everyone goes to see it, initial reactions from people seem to be pretty positive...but then over the course of the next couple of days a narrative has taken hold about what an awful disappointment it is, how it relies too much on special effects, and how it's riddled with bad acting and terrible dialogue. Lucas goes on record as saying he's not that surprised at the reaction, and indeed there are quotes from before the movie was even released where he says he's expecting half the audience to hate it.

Seems to me the prequel backlash just confirmed to Lucas that the cynical mindset he encountered back when he made the originals was simply on a cultural upswing. And I think he was right. Stylistically, the prequels and the originals aren't that different from each other. The contemporary criticisms of both trilogies are pretty much exactly the same; they're so similar it's eerie. The only thing that changed is the how loud the criticisms got.
Right off the bat, the idea that no one saw any political commentary in the prequel trilogy is, to put it kindly, completely silly. There were more articles talking about all the Bush-era metaphors than there were about the lightsaber fights.

And no matter how comparable the films may be stylistically -- and I think there's ample room for debate on that front -- it's equally silly to claim that they're so similar that the same sorts of praises and complaints should apply to both.

A little while ago I talked about how much the "you're so beautiful" scene between Anakin and Mrs. Anakin would have been improved if only the two characters were more intimate, if they were more coy and teasing and staged closer together at the very least. Y'know what I was thinking of when I suggested that? Han and Leia's engine room scene from Empire Strikes Back, one of the most sexually, romantically-charged scenes of the whole series. Y'know why I would envision a scene from the OT in order to construct an improved direction for a scene in the PT? Because the OT did this specific thing very differently and much better than the PT did.

You could say, well, Han and Leia are very different characters than Anakin and Padme and there's no reason their different romances should be similar, and you'd be right. But then you can't say that the two trilogies are giving us the exact same things, now, can you? If someone says, just for instance, "I like Leia because she's very forceful and snarky and I don't like Padme because she's too taciturn and restrained," we can certainly say that Leia is a very different character than Padme and that they're missing the point if they want Padme to be like Leia. True enough. But we can't then claim that Padme is like Leia and that the two trilogies actually have the same exact draws and drawbacks. That's just patently disingenuous, because they very comprehensively don't.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Motto posted:

:psyduck: What "social stuff"? Are you trying to say racism was a little-known subject back in the far-off time of 2012?

I'm saying that the concept of racism in Hollywood was something most people didn't really talk much about. Now it's pretty blatent and widely known. Hence why people, rightfully call out garbage like Exodus: Gods and Kings, and that Gods of Egypt movie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CelticPredator posted:

I'm saying that the concept of racism in Hollywood was something most people didn't really talk much about. Now it's pretty blatent and widely known. Hence why people, rightfully call out garbage like Exodus: Gods and Kings, and that Gods of Egypt movie.
Quelle gently caress? It came up all the time.

Anna May Wong, a Chinese actor born 110 years ago posted:

I was so tired of the parts I had to play. There seems little for me in Hollywood, because, rather than real Chinese, producers prefer Hungarians, Mexicans, American Indians for Chinese roles.

There was a drat children's cartoon movie about institutional racism in Hollywood! (Cats Don't Dance)

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Cnut the Great posted:

That's not the writer's opinion though. Read the article again.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Was anyone else disappointed by how lame Leia was in the movie? I was disappointed by how lame Leia was in the movie.
Also the Silver Storm Trooper, when she got held up she shoulda just punched Finn in the face or something and then Chewie knocks her over and then the movie plays out the same, that would have been cool. Instead of lame, that character is lame.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Also, Solo apparently has a Rogue One cameo? How on Earth does that work, unless the theft of the plans is over a decade before ANH? I am not a fan of this idea.

"Excuse me, we're with the reb-"

"Go gently caress yourself."

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

HoboMan posted:

Was anyone else disappointed by how lame Leia was in the movie? I was disappointed by how lame Leia was in the movie.
Also the Silver Storm Trooper, when she got held up she shoulda just punched Finn in the face or something and then Chewie knocks her over and then the movie plays out the same, that would have been cool. Instead of lame, that character is lame.

Yeah, I think they just decided that Phasma had to do something, anything, in the movie, and swapped out a random Stormtrooper for her. I really disliked the whole bit with her taking down the shields, and the geek-o-sphere justification of "You see, Captain Phasma is actually just a big coward."

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jan 12, 2016

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Leia wasn't lame at all, she fuckin' rocked.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah, I really that whole Phasma scene, too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Motto posted:

I recommend anyone who likes a good old fashioned Star War to do this because the Despecialized Editions of the orig-trig are good and awesome and superbly done.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

can one of the prequel trilogy deep divers do one of these comparisons with screenshots and comprehensive dialogue analysis on the scene in attack of the clones where padme's midriff gets ripped off. I think that's the only thing I remember from that movie. thank u

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Here's an album of every 'leaked' picture of Rogue One which have gotten me excited for it, hopefully it'll make up for the shortfalls from TFA and a good breather before ep8 hits us 6 months later.

http://imgur.com/a/N75pb

Minor spoilers I guess (location-wise)

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I recommend anyone who likes a good old fashioned Star War to do this because the Despecialized Editions of the orig-trig are good and awesome and superbly done.

yeah but people don't really want a despecialized edition do they? they just want one without the stuff they don't like

why on earth would anyone object to the SFX cleanup like what was done on Hoth? Here's a rundown of how it looked before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3tF0MawCM

that's not even charming SFX like harryhausen, it's technological limitation

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

yeah but people don't really want a despecialized edition do they? they just want one without the stuff they don't like

why on earth would anyone object to the SFX cleanup like what was done on Hoth? Here's a rundown of how it looked before

That's what the despecialized editions are. They're in high def with all the cleanup but without the added CGI and alterations like Greedo shooting first, the Vader "Nooooooooo," the Luke "Nooooooooooo," the Jabba scene added in ANH.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

drunkill posted:

Here's an album of every 'leaked' picture of Rogue One which have gotten me excited for it, hopefully it'll make up for the shortfalls from TFA and a good breather before ep8 hits us 6 months later.

Well obviously we know the ending, so all the suspense is removed.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I feel like ESB's Special Edition is fine. The worst part about that is Luke's echoing scream as he falls, which sounded awful back in '97 or whenever, but that's been removed.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Just watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones over the weekend, and they are far better than I remember. The thing I want more of, though, is Palpatine. I wonder if Disney will ever produce films set before or around the time of the prequel trilogy. I think it could be really cool to see an "Episode 0" or prequel-trilogy-prequel-trilogy of sorts, which would follow a young adult Palpatine in the early days of his political career and dark side studies, and possibly padawan Obi-Wan training under a young Qui-Gon as well.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Chill Penguin posted:

Just watched Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones over the weekend, and they are far better than I remember. The thing I want more of, though, is Palpatine. I wonder if Disney will ever produce films set before or around the time of the prequel trilogy. I think it could be really cool to see an "Episode 0" or prequel-trilogy-prequel-trilogy of sorts, which would follow a young adult Palpatine in the early days of his political career and dark side studies, and possibly padawan Obi-Wan training under a young Qui-Gon as well.

As much as I love Palpatine, I almost prefer he remain somewhat of a mystery, just like Yoda. That's why I'm glad that Plagueis novel isn't "canon". But Disney probably wants to milk this for all it's worth, so I'm sure we'll get Palpatine backstory at some point. Hopefully it's done well.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

drunkill posted:

How can one movie make up for the shortfalls in another?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I'd be more hyped for Rogue One if the cast photo didn't look like it was for another season of Battlestar Glactica.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZM__vY9DIw

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

drunkill posted:

Ummm fighting spaceship movie without Poe?

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'd be more hyped for Rogue One if the cast photo didn't look like it was for another season of Battlestar Glactica.

I had the same thought except I got more hyped because of it.

Waffles Inc. posted:

That's what Despecialized is.
720p max though.
On the other hand, that color correction...

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

That's what the despecialized editions are. They're in high def with all the cleanup but without the added CGI and alterations like Greedo shooting first, the Vader "Nooooooooo," the Luke "Nooooooooooo," the Jabba scene added in ANH.

doesn't every movie have scenes people don't like? why is star wars unique in people wanting a version of the movie different from the real one?

i mean, i would love a copy of temple of doom with a little less kate kapshaw's screaming but that's not the movie, is it? we can't buy a movie's scenes ala carte

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

turtlecrunch posted:

Ummm fighting spaceship movie without Poe?

I had the same thought except I got more hyped because of it.

That's what Despecialized is.
720p max though.
On the other hand, that color correction...

BSG never grabbed me. I guess it isn't so much that it looks like a BGS cast photo but rather a BGS cast photo for a SF original series.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

doesn't every movie have scenes people don't like? why is star wars unique in people wanting a version of the movie different from the real one?

i mean, i would love a copy of temple of doom with a little less kate kapshaw's screaming but that's not the movie, is it? we can't buy a movie's scenes ala carte

You're being disingenuous.

There's an original theatrical cut of the OT that people saw and enjoyed and want to see again in higher definition and cleaned up. There are MANY other classic movies that exist and still exist featuring their original content but cleaned up and in higher definition. Hell, Blade Runner can be seen in multiple cuts.

Fans don't want a fan edit - like what your ToD minus Kate Kapshaw example would be. They want the original cut of the films that they actually saw when they were released and on VHS.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Waffles Inc. posted:

That might not be so far-fetched.

You can buy individual songs on iTunes, and nobody thought that would be a thing 20 years ago.

I bought the super ultimate Blader Runner blu-ray with all 26 versions of that. Given enough time, every big film will have anywhere from 3-50 different "cuts".

Perhaps you underestimate how open studios are to re-selling you the same film over and over. :smug:

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waffles Inc. posted:

To be fair, the whole fanedit thing is exactly what you're talking about and not at all limited to Star Wars fans, even if they were the pioneers of the movement.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

You're being disingenuous.

There's an original theatrical cut of the OT that people saw and enjoyed and want to see again in higher definition and cleaned up. There are MANY other classic movies that exist and still exist featuring their original content but cleaned up and in higher definition. Hell, Blade Runner can be seen in multiple cuts.

Fans don't want a fan edit - like what your ToD minus Kate Kapshaw example would be. They want the original cut of the films that they actually saw when they were released and on VHS.

i get it academically but i guess i just can't imagine being so cheesed off about, say, the jabba scene in ANH to, instead of using the scene-skip button, demand fox release a new version

why would you want to pay to remove scenes that you can skip, same as any other movie?

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Waffles Inc. posted:

i get it academically but i guess i just can't imagine being so cheesed off about, say, the jabba scene in ANH to, instead of using the scene-skip button, demand fox release a new version

why would you want to pay to remove scenes that you can skip, same as any other movie?

I guess you've never liked a movie enough to want to own a director's cut or a theatrical cut of a movie and actually sit and watch it without fiddling with your remote or mouse to skip around. I don't think this concept can be explained to you.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

I'd pay to see Topher Grace's PT cut, if that counts.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
I wish they would just release a "Special Edition Theatrical Cut" I.E. - the original theatrical cut but with all the cleaned up effects and color correction. Some of the space battles in ANH really benefitted from the update. Stuff like ghost Anakin doesn't even bother me, since it doesn't affect the structure of the film or the characterization.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Noam Chomsky posted:

I guess you've never liked a movie enough to want to own a director's cut or a theatrical cut of a movie and actually sit and watch it without fiddling with your remote or mouse to skip around. I don't think this concept can be explained to you.

i mean it bothers people that much? seriously? people can't stomach like 2 minutes of han talking to jabba so much that they want a new version?

edit: made this less personal since it sounded wicked angry before and i honestly don't care that much i'm just baffled

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

i mean it bothers you that much? seriously? you can't stomach like 2 minutes of han talking to jabba so much that you want a new version?

Is it really so weird that, having seen both versions, people would prefer the one that does not have an ugly, unnecessary scene?

I mean, it's not the end of the world and we'll all live if we have to sit through crappy CG Jabba in a New Hope, but I don't get the confusion.

• Locked thread