Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

exquisite tea posted:

I have an Amazon discount I could use for the PS4 version of the game, is PS4 or PC the definitive way to play now? I would normally prefer PC because I have a decent enough system that can reach 60fps which seems pretty important for a fighting game, but I've heard that PS4 has better server stability + fewer frustrating bugs.

My experience on ps4 has been very good with regard to stability and matchmaking but from what I've heard it is more difficult on console because the lower frame rate makes it harder to react to the attacks of fast characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

It's the combination of latency and lower FPS. I had a berserker alternate left and right lights and would move the stick on every attack and it would go through the guard every time. Peacekeeper can do it too. Eating a light from either means back up cause you can't react.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
Can you no longer cancel kensei top heavy unblockable into a top light?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol green NAT, solid 60fps, every time I get a kill there's a jittery few frames and connection error. First kill every game.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

OxMan posted:

It's the combination of latency and lower FPS. I had a berserker alternate left and right lights and would move the stick on every attack and it would go through the guard every time. Peacekeeper can do it too. Eating a light from either means back up cause you can't react.

This is probably why I hate fighting every assassin. It feels like they are broken at times and makes the game, even against bots, extrememly frustrating.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Orochi's side lights are still slower than any other's but Kensei's so...

Soft Shell Crab posted:

One thing that I've found strange is how unartistic the menus are in this game. Maybe this is true to Ubisoft games in genereal, but I doesn't take lot of imagination to come up with menus that would look much more interesting given the subject matter. Closeups of weapons and armor and all that stuff. Interesting textures. Little cool animations of like zoomed in sword blade or something. Instead we have this most general thing. Maybe it's just their budget or something but if the menus are such a drag at least make them interesting to look at.

DrBox posted:

I like the direct no nonsense menus. Just get rid of the territory updates and make joining a group with a controller on PC easy and I'll be happy. I guess Overwatch is a good example of colorful and interesting but clean menus, so maybe more embellishment is possible but I want to minimize the number of clicks to get in a game.

The menus in this game are loving garbage. In general the entire experience joining a game is loving horrible. I only had access to Rocket League while visiting my folks during Easter and the night and day between these two was a revelation.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Loopoo posted:

Really ought to be an option to disable that infuriating poo poo. "Here's what's changed, so enjoy looking at this slow animation for 5 seconds" "Okay, that was that, you can play the game now" "Haha just kidding here's another map update that we don't really know what it means"

I'll be honest, I haven't loaded up the game in awhile because I dread having to listen to the faction war update sounds and the 10 seconds for it to update me on what changed twice.

It's extra infuriating because NONE OF IT MATTERS UNTIL THE LAST DAY with the way their system is set up.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Now that they have nerfed the pk i need another really annoying class to play. Playing anything without a deflect is jarring. I was interested in the nobushi but i never see them anymore. How do i nobushi.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

zooted heh posted:

Can you no longer cancel kensei top heavy unblockable into a top light?

Wow I play Kensei and I never even knew you could, the cancel into side heavy uninterruptible usually works fine for me. Also Kensei is way more fun now you can go into that off only one connected dodge attack. Really throws people off in dominion especially.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'll be honest, I haven't loaded up the game in awhile because I dread having to listen to the faction war update sounds and the 10 seconds for it to update me on what changed twice.

It's extra infuriating because NONE OF IT MATTERS UNTIL THE LAST DAY with the way their system is set up.

Wait do they reset the map every day so factions don't keep territories they held?

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Only way I can see the faction war working is if there were actual generals chosen from players and it was an actual -- even though simplistic -- strategy game. That would leave most players out of it except for gathering resources for the generals but I'd have rather than that what it is now.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Wait do they reset the map every day so factions don't keep territories they held?

No it persists for the whole 12 day or whatever round

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Loopoo posted:

Really ought to be an option to disable that infuriating poo poo. "Here's what's changed, so enjoy looking at this slow animation for 5 seconds" "Okay, that was that, you can play the game now" "Haha just kidding here's another map update that we don't really know what it means"

The first one shows what happened at the end of the last turn in which you participated. The second one shows the current state of the map.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wandle Cax posted:

No it persists for the whole 12 day or whatever round

idgi why does only the last day matter then if the map is persistent throughout the round, how can that even work

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Because it only matters what % of territory is controlled on the final hour, you could control everything for a solid 11 days but if someone got 1% more then you on the final count you lost, there are no total points earned over time.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Because it only matters what % of territory is controlled on the final hour, you could control everything for a solid 11 days but if someone got 1% more then you on the final count you lost, there are no total points earned over time.

So it's just fighting over the same idk 12 squares or are you like taking ground and then attacking the next?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thanks to everyone for their input ITT. I had some Steam money + discounts lying around so I decided to finally get this game over the weekend. I was super worried about stability and stuff but minus a couple host drops I haven't had any trouble, in fact the game runs beautifully on my system at ~70fps with all settings maxed. Predictably I am getting my rear end kicked, but I feel like I'm learning at least? Sometimes I even manage to win games too, which is more than I can say about my initial experiences with Mortal Kombat X online. The combat is enormously satisfying, win or lose. Been sticking mostly to 1v1 and Brawl since I hate waiting. They should really let you go back and decorate your heroes while the matchmaker is doing its thing. My uplay name is yuppidoo.

Okay, so I've decided I want to get good with Warden because she seems pretty straightforward and effective. Any advice? I feel like I whiff a whole lot on my shoulder bashes and have a hard time keeping classes like LB + Valks away. They just throw me up against a wall and I'm dead before I can react. Wardens have that great zone attack but it's hard to follow up with since it blows about half your stamina. I also don't know how I should spend my steel. I've got ~11k saved up from the campaign and I don't know if I should put that into crates or Champion Mode to level the character faster. Should I be that concerned about loot if I'm not terribly interested in Dominion + Elimination? Thanks for the advice.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Thanks to everyone for their input ITT. I had some Steam money + discounts lying around so I decided to finally get this game over the weekend. I was super worried about stability and stuff but minus a couple host drops I haven't had any trouble, in fact the game runs beautifully on my system at ~70fps with all settings maxed. Predictably I am getting my rear end kicked, but I feel like I'm learning at least? Sometimes I even manage to win games too, which is more than I can say about my initial experiences with Mortal Kombat X online. The combat is enormously satisfying, win or lose. Been sticking mostly to 1v1 and Brawl since I hate waiting. They should really let you go back and decorate your heroes while the matchmaker is doing its thing. My uplay name is yuppidoo.

Okay, so I've decided I want to get good with Warden because she seems pretty straightforward and effective. Any advice? I feel like I whiff a whole lot on my shoulder bashes and have a hard time keeping classes like LB + Valks away. They just throw me up against a wall and I'm dead before I can react. Wardens have that great zone attack but it's hard to follow up with since it blows about half your stamina. I also don't know how I should spend my steel. I've got ~11k saved up from the campaign and I don't know if I should put that into crates or Champion Mode to level the character faster. Should I be that concerned about loot if I'm not terribly interested in Dominion + Elimination? Thanks for the advice.

I haven't played Warden too much recently, but a few pointers from playing against them:
-Your top light is one of your bread and butter attacks. It's extremely fast, does reasonable damage, and works as a counter to boot. Combined with the zone attack, it makes for a 50/50 from neutral. If you opponent blocks top, hit the zone attack. If they block to the side, use the top light instead.
-Side lights are a bit slower, but also offer better damage through their guaranteed two-hit-combo. The trick to this one is to the light attack button twice without changing the attack direction inbetween.
-Your shoulder bash is actually another 50/50 mixup, since you can cancel it into a regular guardbreak. If your opponent tries to dodge the bash and you cancel it, the guardbreak is guaranteed to connect. Mix that in with regular shoulder bashes, and your opponent basically has to guess which option you'll take ahead of time or get hit. You can actually get a near-infinite combo going by just alternating shoulder bash/gb cancel and side lights, but that's kind of a dick move.
-The main way to prevent getting thrown into a wall and being murdered is by practising how to counter guardbreaks. It's a bit of a learning curve, but there's a dedicated section in the advanced tutorial where you can focus on it.

As for the steel, if you don't plan on playing the gear-dependent modes very much, pretty much just blow it on whatever skins, emotes, and executions you like. Same goes for Champion mode, in Duel and Brawl your character's progression is purely visual.
If you do want to get a bit of gear, be aware that the quality of gear is gated by your progression with a given character. The very best (and, more importantly, the prettiest) gear is only available (both through drops and scavenging) after you've reached Reputation level 3. Scavenging for equipment is something of a waste of time when you don't have at least one level of Reputation yet, both the effects as well as the visuals of anything you can get at that point tend to be kind of bleh.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Only buy boxes when prestige 3. You will get higher level gear from them starting from that point.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Warden gets a guaranteed side heavy off any guardbreak or if you throw someone into a wall (Or flat on the ground but that's a given) it's a top heavy.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
When I Warden I try to throw in mixups like feint left heavy zone attack or shoulder charge GB into the double side light. If you GB you can side heavy or throw em into a wall for a top heavy. Also feint top heavy to maybe force a parry and then punish that parry with a top light counter.

That being said my advice is to play a few characters initially as you'll get a better understanding of the people you fight and the skills that actually matter and you need to learn off the bat are shared between characters.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Wow I play Kensei and I never even knew you could, the cancel into side heavy uninterruptible usually works fine for me. Also Kensei is way more fun now you can go into that off only one connected dodge attack. Really throws people off in dominion especially.

I think they took it out when the patch came to console. I came back from out of town and I couldn't do it. I'm going to look through some footage and see if I have it saved to show you.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Philosopher King posted:

Now that they have nerfed the pk i need another really annoying class to play. Playing anything without a deflect is jarring. I was interested in the nobushi but i never see them anymore. How do i nobushi.

Nobushi was hit ward by the speed nerf and is kinda bad right now. Play Orochi and make pubbies mad.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

exquisite tea posted:

Change guard break to L1, get a lot better instantly. Seriously made such a huge difference for me.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

zeldadude posted:

Change guard break to L1, get a lot better instantly. Seriously made such a huge difference for me.

HOW?! I got this drat game on UPlay so I don't have access to steam big picture

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I have been playing for 30 minutes. In that time, I have had five matchmaking errors and have been thrown from 50% of my matches because of connection errors.

Ubi, I love you, get your poo poo together.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

slap me and kiss me posted:

I have been playing for 30 minutes. In that time, I have had five matchmaking errors and have been thrown from 50% of my matches because of connection errors.

Ubi, I love you, get your poo poo together.

does it happen like right after you kill someone

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
No, I don't even get to the killing part.

(Also, me killing someone ... ha!)

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

my favorite is when it drops 3 people from each side and you and the other guy think maybe the game will fill up with other players since the game just sta- *dc*

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007

Mercedes posted:

HOW?! I got this drat game on UPlay so I don't have access to steam big picture

You can still run it throught steam by adding it as an external game

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol I have just being queuing for 2v2AI and just staying in session when my teammate bails. It will just keep rolling over to game after game where it's you and a bot versus 2 bots, no connection issues or anything but the rewards seem to be way lower than say dominion.

The fact that you're actually finishing rounds probably makes up for it and then some, though.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
Could always use kb&m its pretty good. also there is still no flicker fix in the next patch rolf

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

FAUXTON posted:

lol I have just being queuing for 2v2AI and just staying in session when my teammate bails. It will just keep rolling over to game after game where it's you and a bot versus 2 bots, no connection issues or anything but the rewards seem to be way lower than say dominion.

The fact that you're actually finishing rounds probably makes up for it and then some, though.

That might work, but there's no way I dropped $60 on a competitive multiplayer fightin game to play against bots.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

slap me and kiss me posted:

That might work, but there's no way I dropped $60 on a competitive multiplayer fightin game to play against bots.

yeah no poo poo, it's just unplayable otherwise lol

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

Jeb is at it again. Looks like Raider and Berserker have the best dance moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws2T3MZczn8

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

FAUXTON posted:

yeah no poo poo, it's just unplayable otherwise lol

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but unfortunately the connections can get pretty bad if you don't have a green NAT and have opened ports. And even then the match will end early probably one game out of fifteen.

But that's never happened to me in 2v2 or 1v1.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Iron Rose posted:

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but unfortunately the connections can get pretty bad if you don't have a green NAT and have opened ports. And even then the match will end early probably one game out of fifteen.

But that's never happened to me in 2v2 or 1v1.

Hell it even happens (in skirmish and dominion so only the 4v4 modes) with green NAT and at scrub tier (seriously I haven't even hit regular level 10 with any of my heroes, let alone repped/prestiged if that's your preference with any), kill a fool, then before I'm even able to back out of fight stance the frame rate drops and then I get the connection screen a second later.

I mean competitive combat games are predisposed to having godawful examples of human behavior because of the easy access and competitiveness mixed with the anonymity, but there's no loving way someone's ragequitting the moment I kill them every single time.

e: clarity about the modes I'm finding this in being only the 4v4

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Well, controller is a no go for me. I try to enter fight mode and it heavy attacks. I do a few button presses and a keyboard pops up obscuring the screen. Wtf

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Iron Rose posted:

I have all my poo poo open but it always just tells me I'm yellow, yet I can connect to pretty much any given friends and most of my matches run good, game's just weird about NAT and internets.

Also we should be getting Centurion and Ninja soon, they said those were planned for the end of the first season or whatever and here we come, 24 hours now.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Hell it even happens (in skirmish and dominion so only the 4v4 modes) with green NAT and at scrub tier (seriously I haven't even hit regular level 10 with any of my heroes, let alone repped/prestiged if that's your preference with any), kill a fool, then before I'm even able to back out of fight stance the frame rate drops and then I get the connection screen a second later.

I mean competitive combat games are predisposed to having godawful examples of human behavior because of the easy access and competitiveness mixed with the anonymity, but there's no loving way someone's ragequitting the moment I kill them every single time.

e: clarity about the modes I'm finding this in being only the 4v4

There is definitely something wrong with your connection it's never meant to be that bad. That's not very helpful I know, hopefully you can find a way to fix it