Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
Play Blood Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Infinity and Blood Bowl is the god tier combo

I'd get into Warcry if it weren't a stupid high cost of entry

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Not keeping the original starter set for Warcry in production was such a lovely move for the game.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

thocan posted:

Not keeping the original starter set for Warcry in production was such a lovely move for the game.

Catacombs is cool.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I plan (hope) to buy all three of those games, and maybe find someone to play them with.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

MonsterEnvy posted:

Catacombs is cool.

From what I understand, certain markers/cards that you need to play are only in the catacombs or starter box set. One is $200 msrp and one is out of print :|

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I was hoping the Pariah book with the new box set would be a updated/patched rulebook but I don't know if they're talked about it yet

They've said this version of Kill Team will have a greater emphasis on cramped quarters and melee combat. Kind of like a mix of Space Hulk and og Killteam.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

From what I understand, certain markers/cards that you need to play are only in the catacombs or starter box set. One is $200 msrp and one is out of print :|

And catacombs is pretty pricey for a new player to buy into the game, and the original starter had a lot more terrain. Which was cheaper than catacombs.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

what's the difference between Warcry and Underworlds? Is Warcry essentially the "skirmish" version of WH40K and Underworlds is a smaller team that also uses card decks? I don't know much about either, I just saw the sweet Vampire Underworlds set that was previewed and sort of know a bit about Warcry. The idea of having a set team of 4 to 7 units without worrying about huge loving armies sounds neat.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

DLC Inc posted:

what's the difference between Warcry and Underworlds? Is Warcry essentially the "skirmish" version of WH40K and Underworlds is a smaller team that also uses card decks? I don't know much about either, I just saw the sweet Vampire Underworlds set that was previewed and sort of know a bit about Warcry. The idea of having a set team of 4 to 7 units without worrying about huge loving armies sounds neat.

Underworlds is a boardgame with set warbands of usually 4-7 minis, with deckbuilding instead of listbuilding. It’s pretty neat as a painting experience, as you get a handful unique character minis and zero pressure to paint more. So you can really go to town and try out new techniques, paint schemes etc without signing on to paint a larger force with it. I haven’t had a chance to play due to covid, but I’ve painted an orc gang and now prepped the ogre gang, and will probably pick up those vampires after that unless a new cooler warband comes along.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like the idea of both Warcry and Underworlds but none of the warbands so far really call out to me.

Which is fine I guess because I own enough plastic already :cheeky:

Seems to run into the same problem that 40k kill team has where all my favorite models don't have rules.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It really can’t be overstated just how much STUFF was in the OG Warcry box.

In other news apparently my FLGS had an Underhive box sitting around so now I have a ton more Necromunda stuff....

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I was on the fence between Warcry and Underworlds about this time last year. Decided on Underworlds, and have been really happy with it- it plays fast, is a lot of fun, and is relatively cheap for GW.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

I like the idea of both Warcry and Underworlds but none of the warbands so far really call out to me.
:eyepop:
That's saying something, because, Warcry has options for pretty much every model in AoS, and, imo, WHU has some of the best sculpts GW has done for any of their fantasy ranges, full stop.

This isn't 100% accurate - you can get the Battleplan cards and a set of the faction cards and be able to play (assuming you've got the rules.) The tokens are handy, but you can make your own or photocopy the ones in the rulebook (a reproduction of the counter sheet is in there.)

The original core set was a great deal, but as long as you have terrain, you're good - it doesn't have to be the exact terrain in the box set, it just has to be set up in a mutually agreeable fashion, really.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's saying something, because, Warcry has options for pretty much every model in AoS, and, imo, WHU has some of the best sculpts GW has done for any of their fantasy ranges, full stop.

Don't you have to buy a bunch of different army books to get that stuff though?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I was on the fence between Warcry and Underworlds about this time last year. Decided on Underworlds, and have been really happy with it- it plays fast, is a lot of fun, and is relatively cheap for GW.

I just learned there's a PC version of Underworlds - has anyone played it? For $29 I figure it's a cheap way to see if I like the game before going in on buying it and painting it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Crackbone posted:

They have four books, one for each Grand Alliance. So you need one for your guys?

The amount of support Warcry gets is always surprising, but it is also the most fun game they make especially if you are playing casually.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

You do IF you want to be able to use every AoS model under the sun. If you're ok either running the Warcry warbands or scaled down versions of the other AoS races, you can either buy the card pack or the Tome of Champions book, which has reprints of all the existing (at the time of printing) factions.

The new books, imo, are a blatant money grab by GW and it really sucks that they seem to be moving away from digital again for some reason. $25-35 for each book is pretty lovely, especially when all of it could have been put in one book or as a PDF online for each faction.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I had no idea Warcry had been expanded so much - when it launched, I feel like me and a single friend from my whole KT crew were excited about it and bought the box. The starter was available at all of the FLGS's around here for easily months, I figured it was DOA.

The pack-in rulebook for Underhive is so much easier to use to learn and teach the game than flipping between the Core Rulebook and GotU all the time, it's crazy.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So what im getting from this thread is that I should buy the original Warcry starter box that my flgs has on the shelf this weekend.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I just learned there's a PC version of Underworlds - has anyone played it? For $29 I figure it's a cheap way to see if I like the game before going in on buying it and painting it.

It works in a pinch, especially in covid times when you might not be able to play physical Underworlds. Last I checked it was a few years behind the desktop release, the base game is all or most of Season 1 of Underworlds, and Season 2 warbands are trickling out. I think the tabletop game is on Season 4 now?

I haven't really wanted to play it much for a few reasons. I found the Season 1 warbands kind of boring. I think it's ugly, I don't like the graphics. The UI is clunky. The customization isn't very good or interesting. There's no meaningful progression or loop to give you reason to keep playing and unlocking things. I think the main reason my interest is low is I really enjoyed playing my own painted minis for Underlords, it lost a lot of the charm when I was just using the already textured video game models.

It does support bot matches and online matches, if it weren't so far behind the physical version it seems like it would be a great way to rapidly iterate on testing out different decks.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

AnEdgelord posted:

So what im getting from this thread is that I should buy the original Warcry starter box that my flgs has on the shelf this weekend.

Insane that you are not on the way right now honestly

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

berzerkmonkey posted:

I haven't played AoS so maybe its just that all my favorite models were left behind in WFB, which is partially the case but not entirely.

I dunno I just look through the GW website on all their warbands and nothing appeals. I guess there's probably rules for others that I'd have to buy AOS kits and then break out a model here and there for?

Meanwhile I love basically every single blood bowl team :3:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
So Underworlds is the more limited, deck building version while Warcry is more free form, and both are skirmish level?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Underworlds is literally a board game.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Insane that you are not on the way right now honestly

They don't open back up until thursday, I'll swing by then and see if I can snag it.

Also what exactly is the difference between the old starter and catacombs besides price? I know they have different warbands but it looks like catacombs is an entirely different game mode.

Mr Owl
Dec 28, 2008

AnEdgelord posted:

They don't open back up until thursday, I'll swing by then and see if I can snag it.

Also what exactly is the difference between the old starter and catacombs besides price? I know they have different warbands but it looks like catacombs is an entirely different game mode.

The amount and quality of terrain in the original box is amazing, I still use all of it for my big sigmar games it fits so well! The tokens are super useful for many other games as well

Well worth it
Game wise I think they are identical rule sets with different scales?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AnEdgelord posted:

Here is the Terrain.
Original

Catacombs

Catacombs has the basic rules and a good chunk of the original terrain, and also adds dungeon fights into the mix. Like the Original it can also be expanded by buying extra boards.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Here is the Terrain.
Original

Postcards from Angmar

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Welp now I have to get catacombs and use the arches for the WHQ set I'm definitely making one day.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Without even looking at the product listing because I’ve spent a shitload on tiny plastic objects of wonder in the last few months already I have to assume Catacombs is kind of the Warcry equivalent of KT:Arena and Necromunda Underhive/Zone Mortalis, where it’s basically the same game adapted for a flatter board setup with more objective-based gameplay to facilitate it?

I was thinking about it and I think that’s why I enjoyed KT so much - yeah, it is very dice-heavy in combat and it’s hard to kill units sometimes, but the objective-based gameplay (at least at our FLGS, which picked new objectives for every game) meant that strategic play could absolutely win a tense match. Sure, it might be hard for my Drukhari to actually kill your Gray Knights or whatever the hell, but they can absolutely lock them down and keep them away from objectives and win on points.

e: thank you to whoever suggested Mindtaker Minis for a template set - obviously I got a fresh one from the Underhive box but I grabbed an extra set and some random pewter Battletech junk a few weeks ago, everything was priced really fantastically even including shipping and I’m definitely going to order stuff from them again in the future pretty readily. It’s not GW, but I painted the cockpit glass on a battlemech with some Turbo Dork color-shifting metallic and it looks fuckin’ ridiculous, vaporwave as hell

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jan 26, 2021

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Here is the Board for Catacombs

How it all looks set up

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 26, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

yeah that looks Arena as hell

Further thoughts as I drink on a Monday - Warcry still makes it absurdly hard to kill guys, iirc (and correct me if I’m wrong, I haven’t played either in entirely too long) replacing an extra dice roll in KT with an actual HP value to chip away at. But Warcry out of the box really emphasizes objective-based matches like Arena did, which is part of what makes it so fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Guys in Warcry can go down pretty fast or remain standing a while. But they will take a decent amount of punishment no doubt. Abilities and focus firing can really change things up.

The new Grand Alliance books also introduce a lot of extra stuff. So if you have a fair amount of models from any army I can recommend getting the proper book to play them.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Eh, personally I have a bajillion 40K models from various armies but AoS just didn’t appeal to me much as a setting outside of the Corvus Cabal, so I’m not really sitting on a bunch of models to use in Warcry. But the fact that it has been expanded so much has piqued my interest - if I wanted to grab som seraphon or something is it just a matter of grabbing a book to get their WC stats?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rockman Reserve posted:

Eh, personally I have a bajillion 40K models from various armies but AoS just didn’t appeal to me much as a setting outside of the Corvus Cabal, so I’m not really sitting on a bunch of models to use in Warcry. But the fact that it has been expanded so much has piqued my interest - if I wanted to grab som seraphon or something is it just a matter of grabbing a book to get their WC stats?

Yes. You will also get Campaign info for them, and some challenge battles Along with the profiles for all other Order Factions and their Campaign Info. (This includes Cites of Sigmar and Lumineth now.)

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Does warcry use fixed warbands or can you take whatever models from your faction?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Eediot Jedi posted:

Does warcry use fixed warbands or can you take whatever models from your faction?
You can build a custom warband from any models in your faction, except that you only can have one leader model. The different factions can't mix, even if if seems like the should be able to, so you can't mix Stormcast vanguard boys with Stormcast Magic boys.
There are also a bunch of mercenaries and beasts that you can add to your warband.

Edit: By faction, I mean Warcry factions, not normal AoS factions.

tankfish
May 31, 2013
Did they ever fix that issue with the regular AoS armies being so much better then the regular cultists? Last time I played I was running mawtribe and literally ate my opponent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

tankfish posted:

Did they ever fix that issue with the regular AoS armies being so much better then the regular cultists? Last time I played I was running mawtribe and literally ate my opponent.

Last I heard, the Warcry-specific factions are still low tier.