Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bowsette?
This poll is closed.
Yes 70 39.11%
no 28 15.64%
maybe? 15 8.38%
Yes I'm phoning this one in. 66 36.87%
Total: 179 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Samuringa posted:

There were two or three years that people were calling "The Year of the Bow". Its neat how one little thing appeared like that, I didn't follow news or trends at the time so I didn't see if there was anything about people being super excited over them.

I think it was the popularity of The Hunger Games that did it, it seemed like it was always women who used bows during that little fad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Where the f*ck is dr kawashima

e: oh OK I think he's there, I can't watch it because I'm on my phone. thank god

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know back when crysis 3 debuted it was pushing using a compound bow on the cover

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Far Cry 3 and The Last of Us also prominently featured bow weapons around the same time, but they weren't as cool because let's be honest chicks with bows rule!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I usually play japanese games with JP VO but now I've got a rudimentary enough knowledge of Japanese that the discrepancy between the original and localization annoys me. But AI is the first time I've really seen it this egregious...I've crossed a rubicon of some kind

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://twitter.com/VG247/status/1178608599947452416?s=19

Welp

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finally got ahold of the landlord and yeah place is pretty crummy. Apparently our neighbors were already getting evicted late october for skipping rent so she wasn't too happy to hear this update piled ontop of it. Someone's going to be by today to change the locks for us and other than that not sure what else I should do.

I'm pretty low-income and having life trouble right now so I don't know if I can find a cheap camera I can use, and I *just* moved here so I'm out of any money for that. Just a sucky situation.

I’m sorry, guy. Leaving the tv on might make people think someone should home while you’re out. Casually mentioning that a relative is a cop might also work. The neighbors sound like scum but since they’re already being evicted there’s not much you can do but wait them out. Put your name on the bottom of big ticket items to prevent issues where they obviously have your tv but you can’t prove it.

I don’t know what to recommend for your missing keys and wallet. I hope they turn up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

I usually play japanese games with JP VO but now I've got a rudimentary enough knowledge of Japanese that the discrepancy between the original and localization annoys me. But AI is the first time I've really seen it this egregious...I've crossed a rubicon of some kind
It doesn't bother me enough to prevent me from liking the game but I've definitely cringed a few times during AI because of it, with the constant misuse of "Renju" over "Okiura" being probably the most annoying just by how frequently it comes up.

Iris' catchphrase might as well be gibberish for how they TLed it, too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Gearbox is also being sued by the composer to Duke Nukem 3D for using his music without permission in the re-release.

And Valve is also named because they ignored a takedown issued for it so lol.

Defendants, Gearbox Software, L.L.C. (“Gearbox Software”) and Gearbox Publishing, LLC (“Gearbox Publishing”) (together “Gearbox”), used Mr. Prince’s music in Duke Nukem 3D World Tour without obtaining a license and without compensating Mr. Prince. Defendant, Randy Pitchford, the Chief Executive Officer of Gearbox, admitted that Mr. Prince created and owns the music and that Gearbox had no license. Incredibly, Mr. Pitchford proceeded to use the music without compensation and refused to remove the music from the game.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

lmao of course. Randy is a piece of poo poo

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Nate RFB posted:

It doesn't bother me enough to prevent me from liking the game but I've definitely cringed a few times during AI because of it, with the constant misuse of "Renju" over "Okiura" being probably the most annoying just by how frequently it comes up.

On the other hand, I got curious and swapped to the English dub for like 15 seconds and just couldn't stand the way they mangle the names. "Hey miZOOOOKee, what's up?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

Iris' catchphrase might as well be gibberish for how they TLed it, too.

The part that jumped out to me early on is when Date just asks What's her name? And they wrote 2 lines of jokes. But the game still seems rad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127400/

This game's really fun and also five dollars. It's basically Factorio except much more explicitly a tower defense game, as it has stages and is round-based with enemy waves that spawn at certain times. It functions like an RTS, in that you want to funnel all resources back to your base to spend on buildings and turrets, but most buildings will also need some sort of material input to function, which is where the Factorio components come in since you can't take resources out of the base. You'll need Copper to build turrets, but you'll also need a constant supply of copper on a conveyor belt to use as ammo, for example. In order to progress in the tech tree, you need to spend resources, but you can only upgrade the tech tree in-between rounds. For most of the game, you can only bank resources by leaving a map successfully - but, since maps go on indefinitely, you have to constantly assess whether to stay and keep farming, or leave and bank what you've saved.

What I really like about the game is how it adds complexity depending on how hard you want to go. All turrets have multiple firing modes depending on what ammo you fill it with, and most can be made even more efficient if you feed them water, or even MORE if you give them cryofluid. Wave turrets are low-level anti-air and can be run on just water. However, if you send it some oil, it will now also slow any enemies it hits. If your map doesn't have any oil, you'll need to use some of that water on a Cultivator, fed into a Spore Compressor to change Spores to Oil. But, since you've got that extra oil, you can send part of that off into a coal compressor which can make silicon with just a little bit of sand. Now, with that silicon, you could send it back to your base and make drone facilities to aid you in combat, or you could go the extra step and convert it into Phase Alloy. For that, you'll need to harvest some Scrap and melt it down into Slag. Compress the Slag into base components of Copper, Graphite, Lead, and Titanium - you could harvest them all separately but that's a ton of wasted space. Filter out the graphite and send the rest into the Alloy Smelter and you'll have Phase Alloy, which you can feed into turrets to fire volleys of rockets that will down warships halfway across the map.

Most of the maps aren't hard enough to warrant all this work, but if you want to play the most difficult one that is also the best for resource farming for your tech tree, this is the best one to play with friends. Also, the game has 16-person multiplayer. My friend and I have only managed to get to wave 15 on the final map, but adding even one more person would significantly improve our productivity. You don't have to share rewards either; if you leave a map with 5k copper, everyone gets 5k copper. Very fun game, play it with friends

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

This story needs to be taken with a massive grain of salt as there ARE union VAs in the game. There definitely seems to be more to it than that.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I would wonder what would motivate Troy Baker, who makes his living voice acting video games, to openly lie about the reason he didn't work on a huge release.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Relax Or DIE posted:

I would wonder what would motivate Troy Baker, who makes his living voice acting video games, to openly lie about the reason he didn't work on a huge release.

Nobody is lying. It's just possible he was mistaken or his reps were told something other than the truth.

I mean, there are union VAs in the game. That's an objective fact. So "they wouldn't go union" is just not the case.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

they famously cut claptrap's voice actor loose because since he didn't work for gearbox anymore he didn't want to do voice acting pro bono and demanded to be paid and was deemed "too expensive", so i imagine it was a similar situation with mr. baker

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That gearbox wasn't willing to go union on the voice acting for a game in a series that's already made hundreds of millions is because they're cheap scum. Some union actors crossed that line (it happens all the time but usually in much smaller games) but honestly good on Troy for skipping it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

https://twitter.com/otherRPG/status/1178688808876941312

I want people to be aware of this game and it's kickstarter as it looks really drat charming and has a pretty fun looking battle system

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Is there an alternative platform that creators can use to source crowdfunding? Really poo poo if they're forced to work with Kickstarter for this stuff cause of a monopoly.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Rarity posted:

Is there an alternative platform that creators can use to source crowdfunding? Really poo poo if they're forced to work with Kickstarter for this stuff cause of a monopoly.
Indiegogo has been around for a while and successfully funded games, notably Lab Zero's games and Fran Bow.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i want to say harebrained's stuff has been done through indiegogo? i might be wrong though. i've definitely backed something through it that came through.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought they wouldn't let companies mix union and nonunion for games

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

i want to say harebrained's stuff has been done through indiegogo? i might be wrong though. i've definitely backed something through it that came through.
Nah, they were all on Kickstarter.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

PantsBandit posted:

Nobody is lying. It's just possible he was mistaken or his reps were told something other than the truth.

I mean, there are union VAs in the game. That's an objective fact. So "they wouldn't go union" is just not the case.
Troy is probably referring to the type of acting job Gearbox offered. There's a union job and a non-union job, which has different (usually worse) conditions. Union members aren't supposed to take non-union jobs but they do it anyway from time to time. My reading is that several union members agreed to do Borderlands 3 as a non-union gig and he refused.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Completed: links awakening

Review: as good as ever. Nice qol upgrades. A fun zelda reborn.

Criticism: the blur effect is ugly but you stop noticing it. The performance is bad. The new dampe content blows. Theres still obtuse things you need to do to progress with bad hints given. The bosses are all complete push overs.
If the price is steep for you theres nothing here that justifies buying before you can catch a deal on it or rent.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Grapplejack posted:

I thought they wouldn't let companies mix union and nonunion for games

I think that was one of the demands of SAF-AFTRA during the strike that got dropped for the final settlement.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Saint Freak posted:

Gearbox is also being sued by the composer to Duke Nukem 3D for using his music without permission in the re-release.

And Valve is also named because they ignored a takedown issued for it so lol.

Defendants, Gearbox Software, L.L.C. (“Gearbox Software”) and Gearbox Publishing, LLC (“Gearbox Publishing”) (together “Gearbox”), used Mr. Prince’s music in Duke Nukem 3D World Tour without obtaining a license and without compensating Mr. Prince. Defendant, Randy Pitchford, the Chief Executive Officer of Gearbox, admitted that Mr. Prince created and owns the music and that Gearbox had no license. Incredibly, Mr. Pitchford proceeded to use the music without compensation and refused to remove the music from the game.

The games music files that gearbox published even contain the dudes copyright info and the dude has randy saying he was owed money in writing.
Gearbox is gonna settle this one or get reamed

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Can't believe the developer that has been grifting people for years is dirty

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Gearbox was cool with they made that expansion for Half-Life.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

They put a bird in jail and it made me think of Phoenix Wright.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1178719430257381377

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Samuringa posted:

Can't believe the developer that has been grifting people for years is dirty

:eyepop:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m currently in the Boston airport after walking the freedom trail and got mad at myself every time my brain thought about Fallout 4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Last time I was in Boston I walked the freedom trail but forgot to visit the plaque commemorating the Boston Molasses Disaster and I've regretted it ever since

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

haveblue posted:

Last time I was in Boston I walked the freedom trail but forgot to visit the plaque commemorating the Boston Molasses Disaster and I've regretted it ever since

Great, I too now have regrets

Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Whether baseball is a game or not can be up for debate, but it did help give birth to this, so I’m thankful.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889803

Also, baseball is a game, albeit a weird one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
loving furi is so hard :(

got to that sniper boss final phase and lost i want to throw the controller

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

loving furi is so hard :(

got to that sniper boss final phase and lost i want to throw the controller

She's the hardest boss in the game imo. I almost gave up at that exact spot on my first playthrough. You can do it!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Thoom posted:

On the other hand, I got curious and swapped to the English dub for like 15 seconds and just couldn't stand the way they mangle the names. "Hey miZOOOOKee, what's up?"

This is most often due to company demands, the same stuff happened in Persona 5 with really weird sounding name pronunciations and the VA's got tired of being jumped on quick, turns out it was because that's how the japanese office insisted they had to say them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is Civilization VI a good one to start with if I haven't played one (and is the Switch version good because my pc can not play games)