Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

CowHammer posted:

Speaking of DAPL

Oh gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
If that were true why would thousands of them be willing to be assaulted with dogs, batons, and gas grenades?

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Mystic Mongol posted:

If that were true why would thousands of them be willing to be assaulted with dogs, batons, and gas grenades?

Uppity minorities?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Hobo Clown posted:

In 96 I was in High School and dressed up as Bob Dole, because I thought Norm MacDonald was funny as him on Saturday Night Live. I don't remember if my parents cared one way or another.

Hah, so did I, I love Norm, and it was an easy costume. But the difference is that we did it for ourselves, not our parents. Plus I don't remember politics being so vile in 96, but that could be due to the lack of social media.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

But right now even without the pipeline I have a phone, electricity, a car, pants, and I'm not in the closet.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

get but naked

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mystic Mongol posted:

But right now even without the pipeline I have a phone, electricity, a car, pants, and I'm not in the closet.

no you don't, you're naked and it's too dark for you to even tell.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Mystic Mongol posted:

I'm not in the closet.

We all are, friend. We all are.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
This is really classic. I was talking to one of my more conservative friends the the other day about how commercial buildings and industrial buildings have a special business-level meter and how the business' electricity prices per kilowatt were based on the top 15 minute window of usage over a 12 month period, and how each monthly bill is priced based on the top level usage.

The reason it's priced this way is because the utilities need to have a "buffer" in place just in case industrial and/or commercial buildings start spiking their usage - the utility already made allocations to cover any potential spikes, which means they are protecting everyone from rolling brown-outs because they need to have enough power on hand to provide energy over a sutained period, in case a bunch of places spike at the same time.

His takeaway? That publicly-owned utility districts are trying to rip off small business owners by overcharging them, and that we should privatize all utility providers rather than having them working for the community, forming co-ops to drive down prices when they purchase power, because then the private providers would compete and drive down utility prices, etc. :bravo: I didn't even try to explain to him what Enron did to California https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2002/05/enro-m10.html

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 2, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Not to mention, power companies also have to factor in things such as power factor. A low power factor percentage introduces more heating and loss in the transmission lines, on the power company's side of things, so they tend to charge business which consistently have low power factor loads a little higher to account for that loss.

Edit:
Link with some more info. I haven't had to remember this stuff since college physics, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't talking out my rear end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor#Importance_of_power_factor_in_distribution_systems

xergm fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 2, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Naw you're pretty much right on it, I have a terrible time keeping energy and power and demand and plug load and hours versus watt hours and work versus Therms versus Btus straight in my head (why the gently caress is the "British Thermal Unit" equal to 1 match heating up one poundof water by 1 degree fahrenheit LOL), and physics classes really help with that.

edit: Also in case you're not aware already, you can mitigate power factor problems with capacitors. That's part of why there are so many capacitors inside your home PC and poo poo, because those keep it within the threashold. They also guard your devices against the initial spike of energy (your car's alternator does the same thing except in reverse by providing the initial spike of energy) which is required to turn on most stuff - similar to how it requires more force to move an object from rest than it does to keep it moving once it's broken free of static friction.

xergm posted:

Not to mention, power companies also have to factor in things such as power factor. A low power factor percentage introduces more heating and loss in the transmission lines, on the power company's side of things, so they tend to charge business which consistently have low power factor loads a little higher to account for that loss.
There's a still charge for that everyone I believe, just like the hidden cost of your power meter on your house. IIRC the cost tends to be listed under "network charges" or "service charges", and you pay for these even if your building is entirely dark - since the utilities provided the meter and the infrastructure you still must pay for the privilege of remaining connected, as well as those fees going to improve infrastructure by allowing them to afford more infrastructure expansion projects to service a wider area.

It's really fascinating, and the history of the Bonneville Power Administration in the PNW is a great example of how utilities and providers can work cooperatively to force down prices for their customers through both straight bargaining, but also through incentive programs to encourage customers to use less power, upgrade to better appliances and the like.. Every time someone installs a tankless water heater they are also effectively helping to drive down the utility costs for everyone in their utility district, and possibly an even wider area.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 2, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
So both my teabagger mother and aunt tried once again to pressure me into voting for Trump though I've told them I will not vote period. Their tactics included trying to guilt trip me using my deceased grandparents despite said grandparents not being brainwashed teabaggers and thus would be more upset with them, claiming that Viginia is leaning towards Trump even though less than half the votes have even been counted, and claiming that Hillary's going to prison despite the so called email scandal being supposedly thrown out as BS though they do at least admit that Trump could go to prison as well.
  1. Contrary to what Fox has programmed you to believe, Trump is not better than Clinton. If anything the man is far, far worst in every conceivable way.
  2. Pence is certainly not better than Kaine. I'm almost certain he's even less popular with voters than Trump.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chimera-gui posted:

So both my teabagger mother and aunt tried once again to pressure me into voting for Trump though I've told them I will not vote period. Their tactics included trying to guilt trip me using my deceased grandparents despite said grandparents not being brainwashed teabaggers and thus would be more upset with them, claiming that Viginia is leaning towards Trump even though less than half the votes have even been counted, and claiming that Hillary's going to prison despite the so called email scandal being supposedly thrown out as BS though they do at least admit that Trump could go to prison as well.
  1. Contrary to what Fox has programmed you to believe, Trump is not better than Clinton. If anything the man is far, far worst in every conceivable way.
  2. Pence is certainly not better than Kaine. I'm almost certain he's even less popular with voters than Trump.
"If most of the people in the state of Virginia jumped off a cliff - would you do it, too?"

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Chimera-gui posted:

Please take that one goon's offer of getting an Uber to the polls so you can actually use your rights as a citizen to vote and not be scared of your loving MOTHER.

gatesealer
Apr 9, 2011

Chimera-gui posted:

If that was true, why then would it matter if you voted or not?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Chimera-gui posted:

:wow:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Man, just vote for Hillary, dude. :(

Even if you're facing literal disinheritance, surely you could just lie about your vote. Think of it as canceling out one of your dumb relatives.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

RareAcumen posted:

I first got exposed to the news from a blog I follow on tumblr- that's probably not too accurate, after seeing that there was a study on how truthful the stuff conservative websites and liberal ones post. Stuff like Occupy Democrats and LL101 I think.- framing it as how white terrorism is basically invisible, since those Bundy morons got off scot free and the Standing Rock Tribe were met with like riot gear and sound cannons and other crazy over the top weaponry for completely unarmed people.

There's also the reporter who was covering the protests, that the local police put a arrest warrant out for on account of her "participating in a riot" by being there.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Those thugs indians just like to cause trouble instead of working hard to solve their problems, something something bootstraps

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
"...When he himself is made of pipelines!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Chimera-gui posted:

Grab your aunt by the pussy, call your mother fat, then say that you can't wait until a 10 year old female cousin is of datable age and wolf whistle.
All while maintaining eye contact with them both.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Rick_Hunter posted:

Please take that one goon's offer of getting an Uber to the polls so you can actually use your rights as a citizen to vote and not be scared of your loving MOTHER.

Or go and doodle a picture of a cat jesus christ. This is the saddest saga I've followed in this thread. And that means a lot.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

get but naked

Get. But naked :liara:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I asked a young Lady at a game, how she could vote for Trump, a “misogynist, a racist and a bigot”.

Here is her answer:

Because I use my head to research and find out what candidates really are, not what the media wants me to think.
Because Donald Trump has more women in executive and managerial positions than any comparable company, which tells me he is not a misogynist.
Because he pays these women the same or more than their male counterparts, which tells me looks for capacity and skills in people, not color, gender or race.
Because he fought the West Palm Beach City Council to be able to open his newly purchased club, so he could include blacks and Jews as members, who had been banned until then. This tells me he is not a racist.
Because he has raised wonderful children who have turned out to be outstanding, hard-working and compassionate adults. He must be doing something right.
Because his economic plans makes sense, are conservative in nature, and I vote based of what is best for my family, my friends and my country.
Because everybody, the left and the right are afraid of him, the media is trying to destroy his image, and even foreign governments are voicing their opinions, so he must be doing something right. Clean house maybe?
Because I want a Supreme Court that will uphold the Constitution, not behave as minions of the administration. I have had enough with judges who are more like political activists than law enforcers.
Because I fear for my family’s safety if the current trend of not confronting blatant terrorism continues – which is a threat to our way of life.
Because I am fed up with the rampant corruption of this administration. Accountability in government is paramount, and as this administration has demonstrated, it is a foreign concept to them.
Because I am fed up with the political correctness gone wild, and because Trump is not afraid to say what everybody thinks but does not dare to say. A thug is a thug, regardless of color, and that's it.
Because it is about time someone puts America's interests ahead of other countries.
Because I know he recognizes and embraces America's exceptionalism, and will not tour the World apologizing for who we are. That tells me he is a patriot.
Because, unlike HRC, he has actually held a job, worked hard and achieved success.
And last, but not least, because I am more offended by what Hillary does than by what Trump says.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
"I asked a young Lady at a game"

So she was what, your arm-candy while you were playing craps?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

And that young lady was Albert Einstein.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Were you writing all that down as she dictated it to you?

..some serious stdh.txt right there

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Fulchrum posted:

Nah, found it. Here it is. It's like if Trump could speak at more than a third grade level

When pressed about it, Marvel basically said that Red Skull has always been a Nazi, and it's not their fault white readers are beginning to think the Nazis had some good ideas.

Wow. At least 40% of America is voting for Red Skull.

I've heard the whole, "More scared by what Hillary Clinton does than what Trump says" thing before and sigh... just sigh.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

pillsburysoldier posted:

Because everybody, the left and the right are afraid of him, the media is trying to destroy his image, and even foreign governments are voicing their opinions,

yeah him and Jeff Dahmer

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

We all are, friend. We all are.

I'm not :sparkles:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Jenner posted:

Wow. At least 40% of America is voting for Red Skull.

Don't be silly.

Red Skull is far and away more eloquent than Trump is, even in his dreams. Look at all those complete sentences and polysyllabic words Skull is using, and not even one "bigly" or "I have so many good/great/wonderful X, the best Xs!"

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
How about some Swedish Trump supporters. An interesting blend of young Europeans when they absorb American culture through media and the internet alone.

Translation

quote:

Of course

Clinton has entered the "do whatever it takes" fas. They have had nothing to give since the start of the election, Everything has been hoaxes and half truths. Everything from sending demonstrators to firebomb GOP offices and burn churches. Thankfully the American people have awaken and will not fall for these criminal tactics.

All that remains is to see if Soros/sionist/Clinton/Bush/Goldman/Citi/Saudi arabias machine can rake in enough votes to steal the election, banana republic style. Otherwise things are looking pretty good for mr Trump.

Trump has a lot of work ahead of him. As I said, banana republic, cucksen (no idea what this is) and the democrats will not cooperate.

#DrainTheSwamp . Out with them, all of them. Hillarys head would fit well on a stake somewhere together with Obamas.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 3, 2016

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephyrine posted:

cucksen (no idea what this is)
I have a pretty good idea.

It's spreading.

:negative:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Remember that the pipeline was supposed to go closer to Bismark but white people didn't like the idea that maybe it would contaminate their water so it got moved and now the government is literally physically attacking non-violent protesters so maybe those guys should have just sucked it up instead of dumping their trash on the Native Americans if they are so concerned about personal responsibility. That's all you need to know about so called small government conservatives concerned about individual rights (they are full of poo poo).

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Keeshhound posted:

Don't be silly.

Red Skull is far and away more eloquent than Trump is, even in his dreams. Look at all those complete sentences and polysyllabic words Skull is using, and not even one "bigly" or "I have so many good/great/wonderful X, the best Xs!"

Red Skull also has proportional hands.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Treaty of Tripoli. Or taunting about other "founding beliefs" including slavery and Indian-killing and bloodletting and fear of witches. Or both?

Edit: actually, good on that dude for not claiming Jewish people as some kind of freebie cudgel or legitimizer. It's refreshing to see their dumb identity politics BS without the false "Judeo" prefix in polite fake-serious Facebook discussion.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 3, 2016

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

TerminalSaint posted:

Red Skull also has proportional hands.

And a more natural skin tone.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

I actually responded to this. My patience for stupid political poo poo has gone down significantly since this election has started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's dumb as hell, but I think it's the first time I've seen one of these memes admit that the end goal of Soviet Socialism was full communism and was stalled on the way there by power struggles as predicted by Bakunin, rather than running around yelling "China is Communist! Cuba is Communist! Obama is Communist!"