Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
tbf vriska is canonically thinner than we thought because she fit through a black hole

that would have been impossible with old hussie writing!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Clawtopsy posted:

she fit through a black hole
Are you completely sure it wasn't the opposite, with the black hole fitting into Vriska

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I wish this thread would fit in a black hole

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

a friend of mine decided to start reading this year, well after i had decided to never think about this comic again, and following along with her has been a surprisingly interesting experience. it's made me rethink a lot of the work, especially the ending, which i now feel is consciously and intentionally unsettled even as it tries to repay your time investment in the comic with big climactic set-pieces. in conclusion: homestuck good. namaste.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Valentin posted:

in conclusion: homestuck good. namaste.

Woah, let's not say anything we can't take back, now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

some parts of homestuck were extremely good, some parts were not

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I enjoyed, the comic

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

ThaumPenguin posted:

I enjoyed, the comic

Yeah, Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff was really good.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I'm just gonna come right out and say it, some of y'all either need to get over yourselves and start writing revisionist/post-canon/alt-universe fanfiction or to go find something else to be still mad about 2 years later.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I took the first step towards getting off Hussie's wild ride--I haven't played any of the friendsims. I wasn't even tempted.

...then again in the se period I've joined a podcast about homestuck music which is probably much worse.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

I took the first step towards getting off Hussie's wild ride--I haven't played any of the friendsims. I wasn't even tempted.

...then again in the se period I've joined a podcast about homestuck music which is probably much worse.

Your commitment to quitting is on par with not having played Andrew Hussie's/Namco Davesprite Pac-Man dating sim

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I didn't know the Friendsims were a thing so I guess that's in my future maybe.

Also still got those vision problems and it's frustrating my occasional attempts to do a re-read. Hopefully I'll be able to go through it again properly some time in the future because it's already starting to recede into the nostalgic past, and even if the work as a whole kind of fell apart there's plenty of bits that are good and interesting entirely on their own. If anything I think getting a few years out will make discussion easier, since cooler heads can prevail.

(Edit: Forgot I already mentioned hte vision problems thing here so I tightened it up)

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 29, 2018

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Dolash posted:

I didn't know the Friendsims were a thing so I guess that's in my future maybe.

The first one is written by the Big Man. The general consensus is: we miss him

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I got an email about Books 1 & 2 being in stock again and I kind of want to get them to see what Hussie has to say for himself. I'm just not sure Hussie commentary is worth $40.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

cptn_dr posted:

I got an email about Books 1 & 2 being in stock again and I kind of want to get them to see what Hussie has to say for himself. I'm just not sure Hussie commentary is worth $40.

It's almost certainly all written up on the internet somewhere.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I'd be interested in seeing if it's the same as the old commentary or new

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It is the same with very minor changes (eg, references to the comic not being finished yet are removed).
I remember the commentary being interesting and fun but that was a while ago.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just remembered Homestuck's ending is nobody showing up to John's birthday and it's very funny to me.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dolash posted:

Just remembered Homestuck's ending is nobody showing up to John's birthday and it's very funny to me.

Truly the most appropriate ending of all

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The snapchats futzing around in the post-game world unsure if they're just fluff to keep some minimal interest in Homestuck alive or actual breadcrumbs toward some future plotline. Where did they even end up?

I haven't been keeping up but I assume there's been no sign of the continuation Hussie vaguely teased by showing John unsatisfied and Terezi chasing the weird Paradox Space black hole. Just let that awkward thread dangle forever I guess.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

The snapchats futzing around in the post-game world unsure if they're just fluff to keep some minimal interest in Homestuck alive or actual breadcrumbs toward some future plotline. Where did they even end up?

I haven't been keeping up but I assume there's been no sign of the continuation Hussie vaguely teased by showing John unsatisfied and Terezi chasing the weird Paradox Space black hole. Just let that awkward thread dangle forever I guess.

eded up with jack torture or some poo poo

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

they dressed up as the new bad ghostbusters, and jane became violent and willing to use condy's mind control tech

calliope continued to be the worst

john lived eternally, immortal from his god-tiering, in complete isolation, unable to take down a birthday banner for the consuming ennui as he realized his post-retcon friends werent the same people he knew, as a metaphor for him sacrificing his happiness and relationships in the name of others

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Just Caliborn sending holiday-themed harassment snapchats begging John to complete the causal loop they're all trapped in regarding the creation of Lord English and then his destruction via Vriska and the Icon for eternity.

We know he does it eventually, unless perhaps that black hole was the result of some kinda huge paradox Vriska caused by using the Icon in her battle with Lord English, but with no narrative will left to actually pursue it the characters are left in limbo forever, a hell of their own creating. John has ended the story literally homestuck.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Seriously, folks, Archive Of Our Own memberships are free.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

much like john we are stuck here

it is our home now

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've sunk 1800 posts into this goddamn thread over the years. As a dog returns to his vomit so will I drag my dumb rear end back here.

If you wanna drop your AO3 account name here though plom bar show me what you got.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 30, 2018

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

If you wanna drop your AO3 account name here though plom bar show me what you got.

*in a really bad Thor voice* You are not worthy

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

shameful

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I'm not saying we should turn this thread into a fanfic collaboration and critique thread, I'm just saying that for some of you, it might be constructive to make these two-year-old sour grapes into wine instead of whine.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

its okay, we are having fun discussing it!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thankfully I have not looked at or paid attention to anything Homestuck-related since the end of the actual comic, and Homestuck ended with john opening the door and everyone dying

as far as I care the snapchat poo poo is non-canon.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
i stopped paying attention to this when my computer broke while I was trying to read caliborn's incredibly bad version of act 1, and I heard it ended eventually and everyone hated it.

should i just leave this thing buried and continue to pursue terrible fiction in other forms? or will i not hate myself moreso than usually for reading it

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

You have no idea what the outer limits of canon are

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Valentin posted:

a friend of mine decided to start reading this year, well after i had decided to never think about this comic again, and following along with her has been a surprisingly interesting experience. it's made me rethink a lot of the work, especially the ending, which i now feel is consciously and intentionally unsettled even as it tries to repay your time investment in the comic with big climactic set-pieces. in conclusion: homestuck good. namaste.

An ending that's lovely on purpose is still lovely.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

A big flaming stink posted:

i stopped paying attention to this when my computer broke while I was trying to read caliborn's incredibly bad version of act 1, and I heard it ended eventually and everyone hated it.

should i just leave this thing buried and continue to pursue terrible fiction in other forms? or will i not hate myself moreso than usually for reading it

It sounds like you don't really care... which might be a good reason to actually read it? That way you can see why people hated it. You aren't emotionally invested. Give it a whirl.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm assuming the snapchat poo poo is non-canon because they let it expire off Snapchat without archiving it at mspaintadventures.com. It just occurred to me that the Scrollable Pesterlogs extension is probably broken by the domain forwarding. End of an era.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm assuming the snapchat poo poo is non-canon because they let it expire off Snapchat without archiving it at mspaintadventures.com. It just occurred to me that the Scrollable Pesterlogs extension is probably broken by the domain forwarding. End of an era.

These horrible questions can be looked forward to being answered in Homestuck Book 34: Act 6: Act 6: Intermission 4 & Act 6: Act 6: Intermission 5 & Act 7 by VIZ Media

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

life_source posted:

It sounds like you don't really care... which might be a good reason to actually read it? That way you can see why people hated it. You aren't emotionally invested. Give it a whirl.

Most of the people who've approached the ending this way in this thread have come away feeling pretty okay about it.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

the snapchat stuff was written and illustrated by someones no longer associated with homes tuck so safely forgetting about it is for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spellman
May 31, 2011