Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
dave and karkat had some of the most profoundly funny dialogues in the comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

ArfJason posted:

dave and karkat had some of the most profoundly funny dialogues in the comic

its true

however the true greatest chat is equius rapping

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

i love that picture and that whole series of interactions

shame about how it just spluttered out

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
falling into the kool aid man and somehow finding a way to get off to it

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

terezi and dave chatlogs owned, terezi owned

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If licking my computer screen worked I might be a little more positive about this whole experience.

The idea of learning sick cane-fu is intriguing though, and deserves further consideration.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

why was terezi so good, the world may never know

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Clawtopsy posted:

why was terezi so good, the world may never know

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

well, NOW she exists outside a black hole forever because reasons that will never be resolved

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

well, NOW she exists outside a black hole forever because reasons that will never be resolved
I wonder if it was less Hiveswap delays and more Viz that put the breaks on the post-A7 stuff

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of

mods?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNSBIMLs96M

whats real anymore

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
The man just wants a good quality fursuit for his daughter.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Picked up Book 2 today, and with it the first brand-new annotations since 2012. As expected, we've reached the point that Problem Sleuth was at by Book 5, in that Hussie no longer remembers exactly what he was thinking as he was writing, so the annotations are more in line with Bonus Jokes instead of commentary and behind-the-scenes details.

We've also got Cover Art for Book 3 and listings for Book 5 (with confirmation that the two acts of Act 5 will be one book each), so...yeah! This book thing is definitely still going! Also if you happened to have been at AX in Los Angeles you could have picked up premium dust jackets for Books 1 and 2.

And Hiveswap Friendsim is up to Volume 7 but really after befriending Sappho Elwurd in Volume 6 there's nowhere to go but down really.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i lost interest in Friendsim when it became apparent that Hussie was only writing the first installment

you can try to ape his style but hes up there with Onstad in terms of dudes who are the only ones who can pull off their respective voices

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I played a few more of the Friendsim instalments, and while they're fine, none of them touch the first one for genuine laughs.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Hussie has a particular writing style that has not been successfully mimicked, imo

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

that Act Omega or whatever does a pretty good job of it but it's missing a certain madness

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

shame about the spotty update schedule tho

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Authorial voice is interesting in that just part of it is inimitable style, and another is knowing who's hand is at the wheel. Hussie has an extremely strong voice in his prose (or whatever the right term is for text in his weird multimedia projects) and comedy, but a lot also depends on him being the Definitive Homestuck Source.

Part of that might be because he invited so much fan material during Homestuck's heyday, incorporating or commenting on things from the larger fandom as he saw fit. Even the structure of the comic encouraged seeing him as a sort of arbiter or referee of Homestuck, like the original suggestion box and the overall adventure game narration format. Add to that the 4th-wall elements of Hussie the author being a built-in part of the story, and Homestuck without the Andrew Hussie at the helm simply can't be Homestuck.

I find collaborative fiction is full of unusual mechanics whereby diffusing responsibility for what's happening across many people (multiple writers, maybe actors, artists, etc) affects the sense of a consistent authorial authority. Like a sort of Ship of Theseus (or penis ouija), you can gradually turn over many of the people involved, but when well-handled you can still draw a line back through the whole work. When dealing with strong, single-author works though, it's almost impossible for another writer to simply step in and take over. Homestuck was often a team effort, but it was a system built around Hussie, and without him it's just an empty shell.

I'm sure anyone with any actual structural training in creative writing would tear this lovely post to bits but it's one of the fascinating things about Homestuck so I do like thinking about it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The Cool and New Music Team's latest album is out: Homestuck Volume 11, based on a well-received shitpost from two years ago.
https://coolandnewwebcomic.bandcamp.com/album/homestuck-vol-11
Most of it is actually pretty good, surprisingly! If you only listen to one track try The Return of Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido for an unironically nice medley.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Scarodactyl posted:

The Cool and New Music Team's latest album is out: Homestuck Volume 11, based on a well-received shitpost from two years ago.
https://coolandnewwebcomic.bandcamp.com/album/homestuck-vol-11
Most of it is actually pretty good, surprisingly! If you only listen to one track try The Return of Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido for an unironically nice medley.

Unfinished Beatdown Remix DO NOT PUBLISH is a hell of a callback

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

No callback too far, no joke too obscure, no horse too dead.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

My old man brain is failing, is that referencing the one music team guy from waaaay back who quit in a minor drama incident forcing some videos to change their music?

Edit: the nostalgia I feel from the Trip/Kaleido medley has made my tired, broken brain feel things, and for that I curse you.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 22, 2018

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Is there a good way to download this?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oh yeah, the download is at https://mega.nz/#F!hsYUVSbB!e510QYw-DCbF5xF94lseEQ Normally that's linked on the main album page but it was designed to match the original shitpost perfectly, down to the reviews.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Dolash posted:

My old man brain is failing, is that referencing the one music team guy from waaaay back who quit in a minor drama incident forcing some videos to change their music?

The song was ground zero for this drama, including that largely unhinged copypasta that's still floating around.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

hell loving yes

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

jesus christ how embarrassing

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Clawtopsy posted:

jesus christ how embarrassing

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Perhaps the less said about tbi2 the better.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
do yall think Vriska ever farted? like on camera, when she was in frame. did she ever fart in canon

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
That whole cool new thing looks like unmitigated power aids.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The comic has its ups and downs, but when it works it works quite well IMO.
As to the music team, it started as pure shitpost but the quick turnaround and 'experimental' nature of the music (ie, relatively low bars) has actually been a good environment for a lot of the musicians to develop and improve their skills. So even the songs with memey or insane premises have had increasing production values. IMO it's also good to have a certain level of ridiculousness baked into the premise to help people not take it too seriously, which can be a major pitfall for fan projects. Depending how you feel about dumb jokes, memes and shitposts your mileage can and will vary, but even then there are some genuinely good tracks.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Freak Futanari posted:

do yall think Vriska ever farted? like on camera, when she was in frame. did she ever fart in canon

absolutely, i have written a lengthy thesis about what color vriska's farts are,

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

The comic has its ups and downs, but when it works it works quite well IMO.
As to the music team, it started as pure shitpost but the quick turnaround and 'experimental' nature of the music (ie, relatively low bars) has actually been a good environment for a lot of the musicians to develop and improve their skills. So even the songs with memey or insane premises have had increasing production values. IMO it's also good to have a certain level of ridiculousness baked into the premise to help people not take it too seriously, which can be a major pitfall for fan projects. Depending how you feel about dumb jokes, memes and shitposts your mileage can and will vary, but even then there are some genuinely good tracks.

yeah like i can get behind having an air of ridiculous nonsense to help overcome the potential stumbling block that is matching the latter official album's technical proficiency, and also to help people experiment. But I also completely loath every single person that says "shitpost" for everything, and this seems like both the authors and the target demographic.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

ArfJason posted:

yeah like i can get behind having an air of ridiculous nonsense to help overcome the potential stumbling block that is matching the latter official album's technical proficiency, and also to help people experiment. But I also completely loath every single person that says "shitpost" for everything, and this seems like both the authors and the target demographic.
I think it's really on you if you decide to hate something based on your imaginary version of what other people who like it might be like.

Edit: swinging to the other end of the spectrum, and pushing hard at the boundaries of relevance, but this album by Bowman's good friend and collaborator Scott Stutzman is really good, in the traditional sense https://scottstutzman.bandcamp.com/album/work-from-home

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Freak Futanari posted:

Vriska farts intermittently during the events of [S]: Wake. However, MegaLoVania by Toby Fox drowns out the SFX channel, making it indiscernible in the flash as presented. Split the tracks and you can hear it.