Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Batterypowered7 posted:

What's more expensive as a hobby, Lego or Warhammer 40k (and similar games)?

LEGO has a bunch of expensive sets, but you don't need to own 2000 pts of Death Stars along with the associated painting tools and rulebooks to play with them.

Snipe tax:

My boyfriend (25m) invited me (27f) to an event and purposely didn't give me a time or location.

quote:

I have been with my boyfriend for 4.5 years and I have never been able to shake the feeling that he’s ashamed of me.

I’ve never met his friends or family because he tells me they’re “racist” and it’s a “culture thing.” He’s never posted a picture of us on social media, he only posts a couple of times a year and uses that as an excuse but if he does something nice with his friends, he posts it. But nothing with me.

He got a promotion at work and is moving to another office, so he had a leaving party yesterday by going out for food with his colleagues. He invited me a couple of weeks ago saying he would love me to be there and I said I’d love to go.

We went out for food on Friday and he brought it up again and said “I can go if I WANT” but it’s “not my thing” (it’s literally food?) and I kept asking him if he wants me there but he kept responding with “if you want to come, you can come.”

Spoiler alert, he practically ignored my texts all day, I never had a time or a location and I was sat in my house with my hair and makeup done waiting just thinking it was a late night thing maybe until I got a text saying he’s “so full from the work meal.”

I was upset and now he’s blaming me, he’s saying it’s my fault I didn’t go because he invited me and said “I could come if I want” so it’s on me. How was I meant to go when he didn’t even tell me when and where?! He blames me every time something like this happens and I’ve been crying all morning starting to think this is my fault…

I’m not sure if I can resolve this or want to anymore. I could do with some guidance

Tldr: boyfriend invited me to his work event then didn’t give me a time or location, just texted me half way through the event to say he’s enjoying the food. Now he’s blaming me for not showing up

1stGear fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Propaniac posted:

I (36F) enjoy watching my BF (43M) struggle.

I'm reminded of the episode of Queer Eye where the "hero" of the episode is a veteran who spends his time building houses for other veterans, and one hundred percent ignoring his wife and three children. Dude had never changed any of the kids until 3 months prior to shooting.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Always wondered why my father gave me the same exact name as him until I went to open a bank account at eighteen years old.

How much did Pope Corky the VIII gently caress things up?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Almost got stuck with collections from several utility bills for the house as well as around $20k in debt. He actually said to me “They must have guessed your social security number “

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Elviscat posted:

Uh, I'm not a period haver, but I've dated/lived with a few women with PCOS, and sometimes the unexpected happens, and there's maybe a spot on the sheets or a little in the bathroom, but is:

Normal? Are there hormonal conditions that make your period so heavy and unsuspected that it ends up literally all over the house? Like that seems insane to me.

It's certainly not normal at all, but realistically possible. Unfortunately a lot of doctors (he said she'd been to doctors) will just say "Oh well, period pain is normal, just ignore it.", so she really needs to find a better doctor soon and see if they can set things up with a good birth control that lets her skip her periods entirely, or at least makes them managable.

Also, that guy needs to get punched in the balls.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Desert Bus posted:

Saltwater aquariums.

A lot of model train people have done this. Sometimes it's neat.

the absolute best are when a cat shows up just chilling as the train rounds a bend, then it bats the thing off the tracks like a kaiju film

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have no idea how this wrong reply happened, what on earth.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 6, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Warhammer battles atop a model Lego train inside a saltwater aquarium.

Mx. posted:

AITA for acting crazy and spouting conspiracy theories to get my sister to stop including me in her videos.

Heh, the Redditors are actually bringing up the other thread with the prank videos and suggesting the same solution of blasting Disney music to get her videos delisted.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 6, 2023

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Mx. posted:

AITA for acting crazy and spouting conspiracy theories to get my sister to stop including me in her videos.

Just Winnie-the-Pooh it all the time. Good luck posting your vids now sis!

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

well why not posted:

I'm reminded of the episode of Queer Eye where the "hero" of the episode is a veteran who spends his time building houses for other veterans, and one hundred percent ignoring his wife and three children. Dude had never changed any of the kids until 3 months prior to shooting.

I was thinking the shooting seemed harsh yet understandable and then I realised you meant shooting the tv show.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1stGear posted:

My boyfriend (25m) invited me (27f) to an event and purposely didn't give me a time or location.
Oh honey...

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for vacationing at my sister's dream honeymoon destination?

quote:

My sister has always been a "wedding" person, as in she's dreamed and planned her wedding even before meeting her boyfriend. Now that she's engaged, she wants it all: expensive cinematic venue, guest list in the hundreds, designer dress, etc, and she cares a lot about being the "the first" and making everything "special and just hers".

I legitimately have nothing against that and I'm happy that she's getting what she wants. The issue arose because my boyfriend planned an anniversary getaway to a tropical island that happens to be where my sister planned to honeymoon.

I had no idea that she was planning to go there (they hadn't actually booked anything, she had just "planned on it"). And I didn't know until I shared the news with my family during a bi-weekly dinner we have together.

Additionally, this was a surprise trip planned and paid for by my boyfriend who would absolutely have no way of knowing my sister's plans (he's not close with her or her fiancé).

She says that if I go there first, I'll take away the surprise and specialness of the destination, and is insisting that I cancel or change the destination. I'm pretty upset and called her entitled because there's no way I'm going to tell my boyfriend to change something very nice he did for me!

My sister is now threatening to remove me from the wedding if I don't change my vacation, and my parents are begging me to give in to keep the peace.

My boyfriend has offered to pick a new location because he hates seeing me upset and fighting with family, so I wonder if I'm being the AH for being so stubborn about it all.

"If I go to this awesome free surprise vacation I'm out of your bridezilla wedding?! Don't threaten me with a good time!"

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kitfox88 posted:

the absolute best are when a cat shows up just chilling as the train rounds a bend, then it bats the thing off the tracks like a kaiju film

I wish it was possible to find things again on Twitter because my feed today randomly gave me a pic of a cat sleeping in a model city, laid out among the skyscrapers

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

what a waste of time for that poor lady

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hughlander posted:

"If I go to this awesome free surprise vacation I'm out of your bridezilla wedding?! Don't threaten me with a good time!"

On my hands and knees, absolutely blasted on the resort beach, conferencing in my grumpass sister telling her I aint found the islands maidenhood but Im still looking.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Desert Bus posted:

Saltwater aquariums.

A lot of model train people have done this. Sometimes it's neat.

I like the ones where they have cats and the cats are around the set or messing around with the trains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STpn3e1Zkb0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoSjn8LMGLU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bruceski posted:

I wish it was possible to find things again on Twitter because my feed today randomly gave me a pic of a cat sleeping in a model city, laid out among the skyscrapers

please enjoy this fine selection of cats and miniatures

e: and a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_S4w9OsemY

Mx. fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 6, 2023

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

well why not posted:

My wife is a midwife. One of her stories is this husband who pulled the emergency bell in the room so she came running. The mum was asleep and the baby needed changing and he expected my wife to do it for him.

This was their 5th child.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My (33f) Boyfriend (36m) having identity crisis?

quote:

Boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage and kids after being together for just about 3 years now. He lived in Chicago for first 10 years in his twenties and then moved to suburbs. He’s originally from Nebraska. He keeps reminiscing how “cool” he was in Chicago. Now he just feels like he isn’t “as cool” and just is living like he could have been living in Nebraska. He keeps saying why he’s so hesitant about marriage is that he could’ve just done all that in Nebraska but chose a different path in Chicago. He’s not giving a firm no or yes it’s just this constant indecision space about who he was and who he is now. Wtf would you do in this situation?

TLDR; boyfriend is 36 and can’t decide how he wants his life to be.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I was very disappointed this video wasn't Kitten Kong.
So instead, have the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ78rhjthQY

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

BrigadierSensible posted:

I was very disappointed this video wasn't Kitten Kong.
So instead, have the song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ78rhjthQY

ah, thank u

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

teen witch posted:

My (33f) Boyfriend (36m) having identity crisis?
He lived in Chicago for first 10 years in his twenties and then moved to suburbs.

I know it’s 3am but this makes no loving sense, right?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Look, we mere non-Chicagoland peons cannot comprehend their numbering system

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

I interpreted it as "in his 20s he moved to Chicago, where he lived for 10 years before moving to the suburbs."

But as someone who has lived in Nebraska, even the Chicago 'burbs are bound to be about 100 times cooler than any part of NE outside the Henry Doorly Zoo. So if he feels boring and uncool now, that's probably on him more than on his location.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

My wife is a midwife. One of her stories is this husband who pulled the emergency bell in the room so she came running. The mum was asleep and the baby needed changing and he expected my wife to do it for him.

This was their 5th child.

is there another emergency bell to have some buff orderlies drag someone to the acid vat room?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Who is Henry Doorly?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Who is Henry Doorly?

Fuckifino, but his zoo has a rad indoor jungle.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Hughlander posted:

quote:

It honestly didn't even start here. She asked me to dye my hair a different color on her wedding day so we didn't match (we're both brunettes). I haven't even had that conversation with her yet 😭

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

wheatpuppy posted:

Fuckifino, but his zoo has a rad indoor jungle.

Is it worth the trip to Nebraska?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

In August 2014, TripAdvisor rated it the "world's best zoo", ahead of the San Diego Zoo and Loro Parque, based on an algorithmic assimilation of millions of reviews for 275 major zoos worldwide

I haven't been in ages but it was rad as hell when I was a kid and has made all zoos since seem kind of lame.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Jersey Zoo (on the real island of Jersey, not that upstart "New" Jersey) is a nice place. It's not the biggest, it doesn't have all the big name animals, it's just a nice little park where they do some real conservation work and fund it by letting you see and interact with the animals that can handle human attention.

The staff are very approachable and if you are a respectful teenager interested in herpetology and spend most of the day observing the colony of rare anoles in the reptile house, the staff might ask if you want to see something cool and take you to the "real" facility behind the scenes and show you the rarest gecko in the world and their groundbreaking breeding and repopulation program.

22 years later and I'm taking pictures of anoles, on my honeymoon, to send to local bio record centres.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

If it were food, I'd put it at a Michelin 2*. Grateful my wife's friend got married nearby, because otherwise we'd never have gone there.

Edit: Nebraska

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I appreciate zoo talk.

What else is there in Nebraska?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

my (19f) bfs (19m) mom(50f) came into my work today and i don't know how to tell him

quote:

i think my original post was removed because i cannot find it

throwaway because my boyfriend follows my regular account. Also for clarity, i will call my boyfriend "N"

I (19f) have been dating my boyfriend (19m) for a year and a half. Things have been really good and he is my best friend. I also get along really well with his family as he does with mine.

I go to a cosmetology school currently and I hope to become a hair stylist in the future. I have done my family's hair as well as my boyfriends family for free when I am free. For example, I did my boyfriends little sisters hair for her junior prom and have done his moms twice for weddings. I do not charge them because I am not on the clock and because I don't want to accept their money when I offered to help in the first place.

On Saturday, I had a woman come into my school/salon and ask for me to do her hair. For some info, students at my school are allowed to do peoples hair/people can come into the salon and get their hair done by students. The prices are a lot lower (think instead of a $50 treatment, it would only be like $14) but obviously, are done by "newer, less experienced stylists) We do get a lot of customers, most of my friends come in and sometimes even my boyfriend. So anyways, the lady comes in and asks for me. I wasn't working on anyone so I gladly helped her out. We ended up doing a full scalp treatment plus a cut and blowout plus styling. For salons in my area, his would be anywhere between 60-80 dollars. At the place I work at, this was only $20. When she was all finished, I brought her to the front and gave her the total.

She looked at me and said "Aren't you N's girlfriend" I didn't know who this woman was but I said "Oh yes I am". She then said "*N's moms name* said you work here and you don't charge family members. I didn't bring any money". Again, I have no idea who this woman is and I have never said anything close to that. I told her that I am currently a student and do work here, but our school/company does charge. She was like "No, I just spoke with her and she says you do family and friends hair for free" I told her that while I have done some family's hair as well as my boyfriends family's hair for "free" I have done it at their or my house when I am off the clock. No matter what I told her, she would not listen and my teacher/salon owner had to come forward and help the lady.

She basically told my manager that I said I have a family discount and now I'm making her pay even though I told her she didn't have to. Thankfully, my manager heard our entire conversation before she came over and basically told that's not true. The woman did have money and threw a $20 bill on the counter before she walked out. I apologized to my teacher but she told me not to worry.

About an hour later, my boyfriends mom showed up. I was working the counter at this time so I was free to talk to her. I was about to tell her about the woman from earlier but she kind of started talking right away. She said (not even a hi beforehand) "My friend just told me what happened, I'm not sure what to tell her." I told her I wasn't sure what she meant and told her what happened. Apparently, she knew what happened and everything that lady told me was true.

To summarize, my boyfriends mom was talking to her friend (the lady) about where to get their hair done. She told her friend about me and how I do hair at a salon for a cheap price. She then told her friend to tell me that she knows my boyfriends family and that I wouldn't charge her. I said to her that I have no control over prices and that I have never done work for free. She told me that I do her and her daughter's hair all the time for free and that she assumed I'd be nice enough to lend a hand to other people they are close with. I told her I don't know why she would assume that as this is my job and I'm still in school. I also told her that the times I've done her and her daughter's hair, I've done it at their houses when I wasn't currently at school.

She ended the conversation by saying that I'm just a student and she doesn't understand why I would still need to get paid when I still have a lot to work on. She said “N says a lot of sweet things about you and I was really looking forward to other people meeting you. I now have to go around telling my friends that you are actually sweet and we do actually like you. But it's fine I guess I'll see you soon” and then she left.

The entire time she was very passive aggressive and very fake nice/understanding? I'm honestly at a loss for words right now. Throughout my entire time dating N, I have never once gotten the impression that she didn't like me, and she's never acted like this to me before.

I'm supposed to have dinner with him and his family on Wednesday, but I'm not really sure I want to go anymore. I don't really want to see her and I feel a bit awkward and uncomfortable. N has been at a tournament all weekend so I haven't gotten the chance to tell him what happened. I don't know how to tell him or how he's going to react.

I don't know how to go about this or if I am overreacting? How do I bring it up to him?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

I appreciate zoo talk.

Some good steaks. Not Omaha Steaks, but steaks in and around Omaha are also good.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Mx. posted:

my (19f) bfs (19m) mom(50f) came into my work today and i don't know how to tell him

This one is so infuriating. I love how the lady introduces herself at the end of the haircut, and then she explains that she expects to pay nothing for it. If you knew you weren't doing anything dodgy, why not give that information up front?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I appreciate zoo talk.

Corn.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

I appreciate zoo talk.

CARHENGE, WHERE THE DEMONS DWELL, WHERE THE BANSHEE'S LIVE AND THEY DO LIVE WELL

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

1stGear posted:

This one just had an update, she tried to talk to him about how she felt and he just blocked her. Good riddance to him at least.

Hughlander posted:

Honolulu, fyi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Olewithmilk posted:

This one is so infuriating. I love how the lady introduces herself at the end of the haircut, and then she explains that she expects to pay nothing for it. If you knew you weren't doing anything dodgy, why not give that information up front?

Yeah that's premeditated. Bets on mum thinking a mere hairdresser is beneath her son and is just trying to get as many haircuts as she can before son finds The One: Approved by Mother.

Knowing how to fix a house, sew, cad / 3D print AND touch websites/computers I've just gotten into the habit of replying to any request with "Great, no problem we'll get you fixed up. Let me know a night that works and what's for dinner. I like a nice Rioja btw."

The number of nice steak dinners has only increased by a small margin but crucially the number of calls has reduced significantly and the average tech/DIY literacy of my extended family has shot up.