Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
All the PS1 final fantasies are better than the non PS1 Final Fantasies cuz of vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Which final fantasy has catboys cuz that's the worst one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Waltzing Along posted:

depends on what your definition of catboy is

does a prehensile tail count?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Does Cait Sith count as a catboy???

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Literally A Person posted:

Does Cait Sith count as a catboy???

Yes, definitely. Sorry FF7, you suck.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Elentor posted:

FFX opens with the best opening music and Tidus knocks the poo poo out of someone from a floating water ball.

I feel like you may be a ffx fan

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Yes, definitely. Sorry FF7, you suck.

It's an enjoyable bizarre trainwreck

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Which # of Final Fantasy is Legend of Dragoon?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel like you may be a ffx fan

I just like the opening, I saw it once on YT. I've never actually played a final fantasy

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

All the PS1 final fantasies are better than the non PS1 Final Fantasies cuz of vibes.

the best ps1 final fantasy is chrono trigger

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Elentor posted:

FFX opens with the best opening music and Tidus knocks the poo poo out of someone from a floating water ball.

I am partial to the one FFX song that Limewire tags told me was sung by Rammstein. It goes very well with Serj Tankians cover of the Zelda theme.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Rutibex posted:

i used to sharpie over that puke green in black

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Elentor posted:

I just like the opening, I saw it once on YT. I've never actually played a final fantasy

Lol I love you

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Elentor posted:

didn't you do a ff7 let's play?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

kntfkr posted:

didn't you do a ff7 let's play?

:thejoke:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
ohhhhhhhh

on closer inspection, these are loafers

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
FF5 is p generic but I really like the fact that the main characer is named Butz

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

feeling attacked

A farting mink
Nov 6, 2022

by Pragmatica
The only Final Fantasies I've legit enjoyed were XII and XV. I hate the typical JRPG turn based combat most of them had but enjoyed the real time stuff in those two. Also helps that the main cast aren't all a bunch of moody assholes. Sure, they turn into a bunch of moody assholes at the end of XV but at that point the game had owned it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

I didn't say which poster was a catboy cuz he's the worst one.

But maybe I should.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

why?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Thread title much?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thread title much?

Ligma what?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

jokes posted:

Ligma what?

My balls, thanks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The best thing I can say about 9 is at least it's short.

9 is a long fuckin game bro!!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Fur20 posted:

9 is a long fuckin game bro!!

35ish hours isn't that long. That's like how long I waste playing blitzball in a given FFX game

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

That version of Chrono Trigger might be one of the worst ports ever made. The game is so slow it takes TEN WHOLE SECONDS to open the pause menu. Changing your equipment is something you legitimately have to weight against the time commitment. And all for gameplay that’s identical to FF4.
As a child I still loved it.

But really none of the FFs hold up. Boring repetitive gameplay built around grinding random battles and selecting attack. The pre rendered backgrounds of the ps1 entries look good but are grossly inferior for actually navigating and playing in when compared to its all 3D environment using contemporaries like Spyro and Mario.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The PRs are basically just autobattlers. Generally outside of healing you just let your dudes attack, only selecting commands for bosses. If you're selecting attack on randos over and over or manually grinding you're a loving maroon

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

even the later ps3 models cut out the ability to play ps2 discs for cost saving reasons
before that point it basically had a whole separate ps2 inside

The PS3 went from "You can install linux and it's got a whole PS2 inside!" hardware emulation to "the software emulation is just as good, 80% of the library is playable!" to "lmao gently caress it who cares"

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Learning how to play Dwarf Fortress seems like a huge commitment.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

itry posted:

Learning how to play Dwarf Fortress seems like a huge commitment.

Learning how to play the game on a basic level isn't that difficult. It only gets complicated when you start doing the really complex poo poo, like weaponizing vulcanos or or diverting rivers into an oncoming enemy army.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

galagazombie posted:

That version of Chrono Trigger might be one of the worst ports ever made. The game is so slow it takes TEN WHOLE SECONDS to open the pause menu. Changing your equipment is something you legitimately have to weight against the time commitment. And all for gameplay that’s identical to FF4.
As a child I still loved it.

But really none of the FFs hold up. Boring repetitive gameplay built around grinding random battles and selecting attack. The pre rendered backgrounds of the ps1 entries look good but are grossly inferior for actually navigating and playing in when compared to its all 3D environment using contemporaries like Spyro and Mario.

It's a good thing the equipment in chrono trigger is a pointless vestigial system

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Waltzing Along posted:

PS5 > XBSX > Steam Deck > Switch > PC

That's literally backwards!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The switch is the actual best console since the ps2!!!!!!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
switch is easily the best console ever made by games library. It can run subnautica and that's as fancy as graphics need to be as far as I'm concerned

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

precision posted:

The switch is the actual best console since the ps2!!!!!!

can i rip my switch games and then run them at 4k resolution? nope? ps2 still best console

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JollyBoyJohn posted:

can i rip my switch games and then run them at 4k resolution? nope? ps2 still best console

I'm pretty sure you actually can emulate switch games. get a better computer?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Theres not a s9ngle switch game that I want to play that I cant already play on ps5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fridge corn posted:

Theres not a s9ngle switch game that I want to play that I cant already play on ps5

and there is not a single ps5 game I would want ported to switch

it looks like the market works