Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Later on in the game you can combine items with your magic to make even more powerful magic. To be honest I rarely used magic during my playthrough.

Yeah the magitek dropships are annoying at first, but later on in the game they become less frequent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Structurally 15 isn't too far from what I want more of from Square, something like a slicker 12, but the narrative just doesn't work for me at all. The core 4 guys are really well done and their dialogue and interplay is fantastic, but I just can't get that crazy about a party of 4 mostly similar boy-band dudes. A big part of FFs to me is the ensemble cast of characters; I would like to see more characters of other races compared to games like 10 and 12 where you get one Ronso or one Viera. And lack of female characters really really hurts it, Lunafreya is so poorly developed and such an obvious plot device that it really killed the drama. Same with the relationship between Noctis and his father which unless you watch the movies isn't really conveyed at all.

I like 13s story and characters waaaaay more than 15 and 13 is my least favorite FF otherwise. I do like the combat more in 15, although the skill ceiling is way too low and things like summons are very poorly implemented.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
not having a lady party member has a kind of payoff when iris comes with you for a little while and suddenly they're all super awkward because it messed up their bro dynamic and that's amusing

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

corn in the bible posted:

not having a lady party member has a kind of payoff when iris comes with you for a little while and suddenly they're all super awkward because it messed up their bro dynamic and that's amusing

It helps that she's a badass in battle. I wish both she and Ms. Dragoon were in the party mote often. At least Aranea got some of the spotlight in episode Prompto.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Had a great run yesterday hunting marks way above my lvl.

White Mousse, Gil Snapper and Ring Wyrm couldn't handle simultaneous castings of black magic and Shades of Black.

Marilith still one upped me by resisting all my magicks at critical HP. Gotta bring updated melee gear next time

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

quote:

Construct 8 uses Task skills, also known as Work, which inflict heavy damage, but cost a small amount of HP each time. Being a robot, it cannot comprehend the concept of God, so he will always have the Atheist status.

FFT owns yall

play it

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

Same with the relationship between Noctis and his father which unless you watch the movies isn't really conveyed at all.

The saddest thing is that a lot of the really good scenes that convey the relationship are completely edited out from the final game, like the soup scene where Regis jokingly tells Noctis he has to fire the chef if the Prince doesn't eat his food, or the scene where he holds Noctis in his arms while the imperial super weapons are hanging outside the magical barrier

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 3, 2017

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Had a great run yesterday hunting marks way above my lvl.

White Mousse, Gil Snapper and Ring Wyrm couldn't handle simultaneous castings of black magic and Shades of Black.

Marilith still one upped me by resisting all my magicks at critical HP. Gotta bring updated melee gear next time

I like to do the higher ranked hunts as soon as I get them, otherwise you sort of powerspike right past any challenge. Plus some hunts like Carrot are way easier than their rank would suggest. Same thing with going through Necrohol of Nabudis as soon as possible, that was the first part of the game I had to manage mobs instead of 4xing through everything. Plus 3 of the best spells in the game are in there!

Zeromus still kicked my rear end though :smith:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

WaltherFeng posted:

Marilith in critical was me spamming quickenings and whatever scathe motes i had

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
Also the Gilgamesh fight is the best part of this whole game holy poo poo

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I think my next playthrough will the FFXII: The Black Age run because Black Mages are hilariously powerful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, until the postgame, Black Mages are insanely good. There are a couple of marks that are immune to most/all elements who shut down your mage, but everything else just loving melts to them.

Just give everyone Black Mage and a physical attack job and just steamroll everything. Maybe make someone a Black Mage/Red Battlemage so you have someone who can cast Cura and Curaga I guess. Then just roll with elemental staves and spells constantly and switch to physical attacks only when you have to.

Endgame you'll probably do a little bit less damage than a really optimized melee party, but then again I'd love to see what three Black Mages triple-reflecting their spells off of each other looks like. Put Black Masks on all of them and have one of the Black Mages be a Shikari so he can heal them with the Yagyu Darkblade. Actually this sounds fun.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 3, 2017

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
FF XV Comrades Beta is live. Not much content there. I spent more time making my avatar than I did playing.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

WaltherFeng posted:

I think my next playthrough will the FFXII: The Black Age run because Black Mages are hilariously powerful.

My black mage monk is my favorite party member

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know I was singing the praises of FF12 earlier in this thread, but after that I slogged through Pharos to beat the game (I can only imagine what it was like on the original without 2x or 4x speed mode), went through the clusterfuck that is the great crystal and got everything, then I went through Henne Mines and lost to Zodiark like 20 times in a row and still haven't beaten that cheap rear end SNK boss son of a bitch

I changed my mind, just like FF11 this game was designed by sadistic bastards who derive pleasure from my pain

And I am still going to bash my head against the wall that is Zodiark when I get back today because I'm so close to that gold trophy and I am gonna get it god drat it, so I am not going to stop until either Zodiark goes down or I die from a brain aneurysm, so it was nice knowing you guys

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

AllisonByProxy posted:

FF XV Comrades Beta is live. Not much content there. I spent more time making my avatar than I did playing.

Same. It doesn't help you get no rewards for doing quests.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

I kind of lost the desire to play XII after hitting 65+ and realizing I'd have to go back to the great crystal and run through it and another couple dungeons again for Hastega, Bravery and Faith.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Norns posted:

Yeah, that combination is so ridiculously good. The thing I realized about it is that even though Monk is a great job, Black Mage is absolutely the star in that pairing. The damage you can do with black magic in Zodiac Age is pretty astounding.

Meridian posted:

I kind of lost the desire to play XII after hitting 65+ and realizing I'd have to go back to the great crystal and run through it and another couple dungeons again for Hastega, Bravery and Faith.

My least favorite change in the Zodiac versions of the game is the baffling decision to take important spells out of shops and hide them away in really long dungeons, so late in the game that you barely get to appreciate them. In the original version, you could just buy Hastega after the Pharos, and Bravery and Faith were sold by the clan merchant guy after you reached certain ranks.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Norns posted:

Monk is my favourite job. Good melee damage, poles screw up flan-type enemies, lots of Battle Lores, Swiftness and +HP Augments. And they can pick up rudimentary White Magick and either segue into a Mystic job for powerful Holys, or go into something like Time Battlemage and get Heavy Armor for even higher damage and more utility with Time Magick.

Not having a shield hurts a bit, but poles give 25 Evasion which is like the highest for a 2H weapon.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Meridian posted:

I actually got all the spells and somehow got the Mist Walker trophy too, but yeaaaah I don't think I hate myself enough to try and go for a platinum on this game. I'm just gonna get all techniques, do a few more hunts and kill zodiark and call it a day. Completing the bestiary and totally filling out the whole world map sounds like a big NOPE. I may be screwed out of doing the map one anyway as I left out a spot on the Leviathan and that ship done blew up, RIP

It really sucks how most of the spells and abilities are locked away in dungeons, because by the time I've gotten them the game is practically done and there's almost no point in having them at all.

This game also has super ultimate weapons that are like a 1% drop rate in chests that have a 1% change of appearing and are also invisible so yeeaaahh I think I might pass on those too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My only issue with Monk/Black Mage is that, as crazy strong as it makes your Black Mage, it sorta just removes Monk from consideration (assuming you're using all 12 jobs and don't just have multiple Monks). No matter what you pair with Black Mage, Black Mage is going to be the star and the other job is playing backup. Monk just happens to play perfect backup to Black Mage.

If I play through again, I'll probably pair Monk with something that gives heavy armor and the Genji Glove, like maybe Foebreaker or something. Just go all-in on pole damage and amp up combos with Genji Glove.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

seiferguy posted:

Wait, it works against Adamantoise?

Looks like it's time for me to reboot that game again...

:same: because I'm one trophy away from plat. I gave Adamantoise a shot on release and after about 30 seconds I decided it just wasn't worth it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

My only issue with Monk/Black Mage is that, as crazy strong as it makes your Black Mage, it sorta just removes Monk from consideration (assuming you're using all 12 jobs and don't just have multiple Monks). No matter what you pair with Black Mage, Black Mage is going to be the star and the other job is playing backup. Monk just happens to play perfect backup to Black Mage.

If I play through again, I'll probably pair Monk with something that gives heavy armor and the Genji Glove, like maybe Foebreaker or something. Just go all-in on pole damage and amp up combos with Genji Glove.

make a black/redmage and let him cast ardor with a fire staff

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I like archer red mage more

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So is the plan with this Comrades mode for FFXV that it'll be like a Final Fantasy version of GTA Online when it's done or something?

make a black/redmage and let him cast ardor with a fire staff

Yeah, that's definitely the strongest possible pure caster build. I have Archer/Red Mage right now to do the same with the Burning Bow, just because I wanted to use all 12 jobs and wanted to spread the black magic around.

Norns posted:

I like archer red mage more

Black Mage/Red Mage has some downsides--specifically, it doesn't do much to address Black Mage's squishiness, and it doesn't give you three Swiftness licenses. But hell, Black Mage owned already in IZJS without any sub-job, so it's not like that's a dealbreaker.

I'd say if you're okay having multiple Black Mages, Black Mage/Red Mage is a better way to use Ardor and a better character overall, but if you're using all 12, I don't want to consolidate all my black magic on one character like that. My Archer/Red Mage is definitely one of the less-exciting members of my party (until Ardor, of course), just because my Monk/Black Mage is so much stronger with non-fire elements.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Filling out the Bestiary wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, though it helps that the Trials contain a lot of the rare monsters.

The five Judges fight is the best battle in this game btw. It's an interesting fight that doesn't rely on a stupid amounts of HP like Yiazmat had.

Harrow posted:

My least favorite change in the Zodiac versions of the game is the baffling decision to take important spells out of shops and hide them away in really long dungeons, so late in the game that you barely get to appreciate them. In the original version, you could just buy Hastega after the Pharos, and Bravery and Faith were sold by the clan merchant guy after you reached certain ranks.
I'm not sure I'd say the intent is baffling- vanilla FF12 did have a problem with treasure almost never feeling worthwhile to pick up, and it does seem like putting magick or whatever in chests is a way to try and fix that. It doesn't really work though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Renegret posted:

:same: because I'm one trophy away from plat. I gave Adamantoise a shot on release and after about 30 seconds I decided it just wasn't worth it.

Well, I wanted to, but I had an 11gig update to download so I wasn't playing it last night :smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I'm not sure I'd say the intent is baffling- vanilla FF12 did have a problem with treasure almost never feeling worthwhile to pick up, and it does seem like putting magick or whatever in chests is a way to try and fix that. It doesn't really work though.

I suppose so, but I think it caused more problems than it solved. The Zodiac versions also do a better job of putting good equipment in guaranteed treasure chests than vanilla did, so that already helps somewhat.

Really, though, I think the answer was probably fewer treasure chests, and do away with the "respawning treasure chests with random loot" thing entirely so that they can all be worth picking up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anyone know if the FF XV multiplayer beta is standalone or do you need the game installed?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Harrow posted:

So is the plan with this Comrades mode for FFXV that it'll be like a Final Fantasy version of GTA Online when it's done or something?

more like a crappy monhun i think

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 3, 2017

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

the friendly fire from magic does very little damage and it's easy to heal people so it doesn't ever matter, just throw it at poo poo. and you can just walk away from magitek troopers, they will never chase you.

otherwise all your complaints are valid! ff15!!!

I love friendly fire in FFXV because when you zap your own party with thunder they make funny noises.

It makes me laugh every time so I always intentionally zap everyone.

e: and since friendly fire damage is so low, you wind up blowing up all the enemies, then walk away from all your friends who are rooted in place making funny electrocution noises

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really want to try FFXV just because people so often say the combat is really good but I'm just not seeing it. Given that there are apparently plans to keep patching new things into the base game I suppose I should just wait until it's actually "complete?" I dunno.

Combat-wise, it seems like you can get away with a lot by just holding down attack and spamming Potions/Phoenix Downs to stay alive without much need for nuance, I guess except in that one optional dungeon where you can't use items.

more like a crappy monhun i think

That reminds me that there's a PS4 MonHun coming and maybe this will be my chance to actually get into it.

Maybe they'll let me remap the controls because holy poo poo both of the 3DS games I tried, I just couldn't get used to the button layout at all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

you can attack and use potions to beat every final fantasy eventually

Renegret posted:

I love friendly fire in FFXV because when you zap your own party with thunder they make funny noises.

It makes me laugh every time so I always intentionally zap everyone.

e: and since friendly fire damage is so low, you wind up blowing up all the enemies, then walk away from all your friends who are rooted in place making funny electrocution noises

yeah it's hilarious. i also like when one of them gets hit with your sword and theyre like what the hell are you doing noct

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

you can attack and use potions to beat every final fantasy eventually

Eh, fair enough. Maybe it's just more obvious to me in FFXV videos because the combat is action-based and you stop things to heal yourself, so it's more obvious when someone just keeps eating damage and using potions to brute force a fight.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
My main gripe with XII chests is the Diamond Armlet. It'd be one thing if it was always beneficial, but then that one chest might actually have a decent armour without it and another boring consumable with the Armlet equipped.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

My main gripe with XII chests is the Diamond Armlet. It'd be one thing if it was always beneficial, but then that one chest might actually have a decent armour without it and another boring consumable with the Armlet equipped.

I think what helps is that basically nothing you need the Diamond Armlet to get can't be acquired another way, except I guess Seitengrat but that's a stupid item anyway. I could be wrong about that, but as far as I recall, the Diamond Armlet sometimes lets you get cool stuff early but mostly you use it to get duplicates in Cerobi Steppe of things you can get guaranteed elsewhere.

It's still a dumb item, though. Maybe a better implementation of the same idea would be to have it just add new things to chest's loot lists without removing the things they already hold, so it's always beneficial.

(Though my preferred solution is definitely still to get rid of random chests entirely, they're really dumb and bad)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

This game also has super ultimate weapons that are like a 1% drop rate in chests that have a 1% change of appearing and are also invisible so yeeaaahh I think I might pass on those too
those "super ultimate weapons" are garbage that you shouldn't try to get unless you like trivializing the game. there are consistent RNG manipulations where you can get 3 within 5 minutes (i've done it). the ultimate shield (95 evade, absorb all elements) is even easier to get.

filling out the world is easy, i dont think it counts areas you can't return to. it 100% requires doing the chaos esper sidequest so gl lol

the bestiary is 100% why i'm not getting the plat lol

Harrow posted:

Maybe they'll let me remap the controls because holy poo poo both of the 3DS games I tried, I just couldn't get used to the button layout at all.
both games had multiple controls layouts

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Harrow posted:

I really want to try FFXV just because people so often say the combat is really good but I'm just not seeing it. Given that there are apparently plans to keep patching new things into the base game I suppose I should just wait until it's actually "complete?" I dunno.

Combat-wise, it seems like you can get away with a lot by just holding down attack and spamming Potions/Phoenix Downs to stay alive without much need for nuance, I guess except in that one optional dungeon where you can't use items.

Yea that doesn't really work too well. Enemies will gang up on you and stunlock you. Or have attacks with super armor where you can't interrupt them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I mean you can brute force stuff that way, as long as you have enough money to stock up on healing items anyway, but it's a lot less fun than engaging with the combat mechanics and playing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

Eh, fair enough. Maybe it's just more obvious to me in FFXV videos because the combat is action-based and you stop things to heal yourself, so it's more obvious when someone just keeps eating damage and using potions to brute force a fight.

The combat isn't good. It's adequate. There's certain flow it to when everything falls into place but one of the major problems is the game itself. There's too little combat and too much half assed RPG elements.

With little tweaking the combat could be something special i.e taking elements from the character DLCs like removal of hold down combat and focusing on precision timing. I wouldn't be suprised if they introduced somekind of Pro mode and label the current control scheme Beginner mode

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 3, 2017