Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Well, I'm about at the point after Zodd pops in to say hi during Golden Age. That character owns and whoa does Miura know how to draw. Also Casca looks very unsettling in the new anime. (I've been watching it as I read, it hasnt affected my experience reading it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Miura definitely went overboard with some of the Falconia spreads, and the sea monsters. At a certain point it's hard to tell what you're looking at there's so much detail to every roof tile or slimy tentacle. These recent chapters have been just right though. A little bit cartoony but with the details in the right places. I love the designs of all the wizards and witches so far.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Is that a black-barred, cultural no-no in Japan?

Nnno not that I'm aware, suicide used to be like a japanese national pastime, and features heavily in a number of anime and manga storylines.

Honestly it may have been the western taboo given the setting of the manga, but I'm guessing he did't have anyone he felt like portraying that way.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

And the Hawks that remained with Griffith until the end were fighters. The rest hosed off after the rescue and seeing what had happened to him, plus after their encounter with Wylad.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

DamnGlitch posted:

Nnno not that I'm aware, suicide used to be like a japanese national pastime, and features heavily in a number of anime and manga storylines.

Honestly it may have been the western taboo given the setting of the manga, but I'm guessing he did't have anyone he felt like portraying that way.

Heck, there was a Takeshi Miike movie just a couple years ago that was all about ritualistic suicide.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Zaphod42 posted:

There's just soooo much detail. And on top of that its got a really cool realistic aesthetic going on, and Miura has a pretty solid understanding of anatomy and architecture.

There's more detail in the background of a single Berserk panel than in an entire page of some modern comics or manga.

Berserk is the only thing that can have cartoony Puck with his head like a chestnut and a 100% anatomically accurate drawing of a seagull with perfectly feathered wings within the span of 3 pages. And then there was that time he drew Schierke with a huge butt so I guess everyone has off days.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Let's be real, he did that on purpose.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jul 28, 2016

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

DamnGlitch posted:

Guts will be the first, after repaired-Casca leaves him.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I was reading a New Yorker article about Donald Trump's ghostwriter, and noticed the similarities between how the ghost writer was describing Donald Trump's personality and how Guts described Griffith's personality in the latest chapter. Now I can't get the image of Donald Trump playing Griffith in Berserk out of my head.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ccs posted:

I was reading a New Yorker article about Donald Trump's ghostwriter, and noticed the similarities between how the ghost writer was describing Donald Trump's personality and how Guts described Griffith's personality in the latest chapter. Now I can't get the image of Donald Trump playing Griffith in Berserk out of my head.

Make Midland Great Again

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Begemot posted:

Miura definitely went overboard with some of the Falconia spreads, and the sea monsters. At a certain point it's hard to tell what you're looking at there's so much detail to every roof tile or slimy tentacle. These recent chapters have been just right though. A little bit cartoony but with the details in the right places. I love the designs of all the wizards and witches so far.

I've often wondered how much Ink that man goes through in a day to get some of his pictures out.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I Want New Berzerk Anime 24/7!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

This episode sucks and the CGI pisses me the hell off!!!!!!

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It wasn't so bad this week imo. Guts versus the Kushans was fun, there was less clang, more 2D for Guts close ups. Two lots of Hai Yo too. Perhaps they've gotten to a point where they can incorporate feedback.

It's never *good*, to be clear.

bondster
May 6, 2007

This week's episode: [Hirasawa intensifies]

Also Luka having Fujiko Mine's VA is pretty good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The power of Miyuki Sawashiro...

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The power of Miyuki Sawashiro...

If only that power could give us a good 2D-animated Berserk anime...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She'd make a good Casca too, I think.

She'd make a good anyone really, but particularly good Casca.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

CryingAthena posted:

If only that power could give us a good 2D-animated Berserk anime...

If you want to use up another monkey paw wish go right ahead.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I might watch this one because Luka is a cool character

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I need the full version of Hai Yo real bad.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

I need the full version of Hai Yo real bad.

We all do. The small clip is amazing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

These stills are legit

e: also good

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 29, 2016

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The camera still does some crazy poo poo this episode, with 3 shots (mostly the Kusan section) that were just like "why?!" Can't even catch what the shot is supposed to show with that kind of movement.

The CG animators are on a totally different wavelength than the traditional animators. The CG characters are constantly moving, but without enough finesse, so it just looks floaty. Floating from one pose to another, very slowly. Whereas the 2d has to get to the next pose as soon as possible to save on drawings, so the motion is fast. Having a shot done like that followed by floaty CG just highlights the difference. So many shots I just wished they'd get a character from one pose to the next in half the time. When Guts was chopping demons at the end, each strike should have been much faster, especially when they cut to a shot of the character with speedlines all over his face to end the show.

Other than that it was alright.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Episode five was like a breath of fresh air, at least at its start.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Episode five was like a breath of fresh air, at least at its start.

Can we just have a few episodes that are just Isidro punking fools?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
This series has at least consistently done Mozgus well.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finally got around to reading the most recent chapter. Thank you LordMune and your people for getting it to us.

I'd imagine after how action-packed the previous arc was we're about to get a lot of exposition and talking (and comedy) for a bit, and that's fine. The Sea God arc was a bit of a slog - and consequently my least favorite stretch of Berserk, probably - so I'll gladly take the change of pace.

Throwing my two cents in on the art chat, I don't mind this look for Berserk going forward but Farnese's face this chapter weirded me out.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Guts inside the Sea God goin ham was my favorite moment

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That was a definitely a highlight. I liked a lot of the individual moments and elements it brought to the table (I'm a sucker for "Heroes arrive in a weird remote village where something is obviously up" plotlines), but as a whole it was just too drawn-out. If it'd been a little bit more compact, I don't think I'd have minded it at all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

If you read it as a chunk it's completely fine

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The Sea God island bit was really cool but there was some Fight Fatigue setting in, especially with the pirates showing up for the third time in a short span of time. And I like the pirates.

Also, am I crazy, or was episode 5 rendered at a higher frame-rate than previous episodes? It definitely looked closer to 24 than 12 frames per second (and looked a whole lot better for it). By now they should be able to make adjustments based on early feedback, so it doesn't seem impossible...

Bad Seafood posted:

Finally got around to reading the most recent chapter. Thank you LordMune and your people for getting it to us.
Cheers! We announced the mangastream partnership and released a torrent of #345v2 for the weirdos who like that sort of thing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Rodyle posted:

If you read it as a chunk it's completely fine
I did.

I stopped reading this series after the birth of Fantasia since that felt like a good break point and decided to wait it out for more releases before continuing. I only picked it up again after I heard Rickert slapped Griffith and knew that was something I needed to see.

The main beats of the arc are more or less fine, but the fighting tired me out in a way Miura's fight scenes typically don't.

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, basically, we're in the same boat. I don't even dislike the pirates but it was like "Ugh, these guys again? Again again?"

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 30, 2016

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

EDIT: ^^^ Yeah, basically, we're in the same boat. I don't even dislike the pirates but it was like "Ugh, these guys again? Again again?"

Their ultimate fate was pretty good, though.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Genocyber posted:

Their ultimate fate was pretty good, though.

I hate to go off-topic but holy poo poo your avatar scares me.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Major Ricardo posted:

I think this show uses reskinned ReBoot models and animations.

please dont disparage reboot. it actually animated on 2's and 3's so it's way smoother.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I hate to go off-topic but holy poo poo your avatar scares me.

It's from Re:Zero. If you've not yet checked it out I highly recommend it, it's easily my top anime this season, being an actually well-written "trapped in another world" story with a surprising amount of pathos.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Genocyber posted:

It's from Re:Zero. If you've not yet checked it out I highly recommend it, it's easily my top anime this season, being an actually well-written "trapped in another world" story with a surprising amount of pathos.

Oh, I know. That's why it scares me.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Can we just have a few episodes that are just Isidro punking fools?

We'll have to likely wait until he gets the Fire Dagger or at least gets a lesson from Guts about using his size to his advantage. With how they're seeking out significant bits, I'm sure they'll get to that before Isidro actually fights at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Oh, I know. That's why it scares me.

Oh. Well, good to know it's doing its job, then.