Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Greybone posted:

This thread is as good as any to say that group shot post processing is driving the overly perfectionist me loving insane! Could I get ONE SINGLE SHOT out of 20 where everyone in the group manages to look somewhat normal? Without blinking, doing gorilla faces or looking like they just got shot in face? :(

I shot the boy's daycare class photos. Group photos, but of kids, some groups 5 years old, some 4, some 3, some 2, some 1, and some less than 1.

I have not a single one where the final was not a composite to find one of every kid looking forward, not picking their nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Holy poo poo. I just got my 60D today, and the low light performance is so much better than my XSi. ISO3200 is actually usable on this camera. :dong:

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I shot the boy's daycare class photos. Group photos, but of kids, some groups 5 years old, some 4, some 3, some 2, some 1, and some less than 1.

I have not a single one where the final was not a composite to find one of every kid looking forward, not picking their nose.

Years ago when I was a wee lad, my headteacher made a big song 'n dance about our class photos. Instead of group shots we'll get our photo taken individually and it'll be arranged in a semi-formal grid-like fashion.
It might have made life easier for the photographer but still... you can't photoshop into oblivion shine poo poo

Edit: Also...

Paper 210mm x 297mm

Image Size 210mm x 297mm

[✔] Scale to Fit Media

Scale 96.94%

:smithicide:

Tincans fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 7, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tincans posted:

Edit: Also...

Paper 210mm x 297mm

Image Size 210mm x 297mm

[✔] Scale to Fit Media

Scale 96.94%

:smithicide:

Just do what they did in the bad old days, print on larger paper then trim it down. :confuoot:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

45 minutes talking about the cameras NASA used to monitor shuttle launches:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwqZ4qAUkE

Those guys have (had) one of the best jobs in the world. :aaaaa:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

xzzy posted:

Did I hear them right? The square shots are shot on 120 film, with the film being pushed at 600ft per minute throught the camera to produce 1/1200th slow motion shutter speed? Holy poo poo.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Someone from craigslist just let me know they WON'T buy my camera, because I did not get a Best Buy extended warranty with it. :negative:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

xzzy posted:

That's one of the most magnificent things I've ever seen.

nummy
Feb 15, 2007
Eat a bowl of fuck.

xzzy posted:

Incredible shuttle footage.

150" lens, 4,000mm focal length, weighing in at 250lbs.

Does it come in a Nikon mount?

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Gentlemen and ladies, someone told him about the twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/KenRockwell

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Medusula posted:

Gentlemen and ladies, someone told him about the twitter. https://twitter.com/#!/KenRockwell

That man never met a referral link he didn't like.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

nummy posted:

150" lens, 4,000mm focal length, weighing in at 250lbs.

Does it come in a Nikon mount?

I remember someone posted the lens the forums at some point. It was...well, as massive and spectacular as you describe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Medusula posted:

I'm disappointed, no custom bokeys background.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Just got home with prints of my best of 2011

This is what fuckin a looks like.

Many thanks to the dorkroom in guiding me from nubness to less nubness. I bought a rebel XS is January of last year, a Tamron 17-50 in February, a 50D in May. Sold the god drat Tamron in August and went all primes. Bought a 5D2 in October. I picked up a bunch of flashes along the way. I've bought some decent gear at this point and I'm confident using it, cause of goons. :)

Medusula
Aug 8, 2007
Someone followed up poo poo photographers say with stuff people say to photographers http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=niyTIbiV19A

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What is wrong with Picassa. :ohdear:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Medusula posted:

Someone followed up poo poo photographers say with stuff people say to photographers http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=niyTIbiV19A

Thanks!

Leit Motif
Feb 8, 2012
Is there a thread on photoshop and general editing techniques that I'm missing? Seems like there should be one in here somewhere.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Leit Motif posted:

Is there a thread on photoshop and general editing techniques that I'm missing? Seems like there should be one in here somewhere.

Right here

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

http://xkcd.com/1014/

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Santa is strapped posted:

http://xkcd.com/1014/

This just perpetuates the myth that the camera is the main factor in the quality of photos :colbert:

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

lol never pay money for this boudoir workshop that's live on creative live right now.

it's so bad.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Paragon8 posted:

lol never pay money for this boudoir workshop that's live on creative live right now.

it's so bad.

I'm going to run to the store and try watching this. I always forget to check creative live for the upcoming seminars.

It's in intermission right now, what's so bad?

E: Haha, 2 more days of this?

red19fire fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 10, 2012

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Budoir photography shouldn't be a thing. I'm all about creating niches, but this is bad.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I get it, but the woman teaching it is awful and I find the creepy old biker dude assistant in the background with the fan hilarious

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Are you talking about the Christina meola one?

The photos in my local fb group are raving about it.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Elite Taco posted:

Are you talking about the Christina meola one?

The photos in my local fb group are raving about it.

Yeah, it's really bad.

She is using a camera she hasn't used before so every time she needs to change settings she has to ask her creepy assistant, John, who is wearing a do rag and stares at the model intensely

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Wow, this is pretty bad. Am I the only one that thinks she holds the camera weird? And doesn't seem to know what she's doing?

It seems like her business plan is to get rich women tipsy, who then pay her for the experience of a glamourous photoshoot, rather than a quality end product.

And now she's parroting the workshop attendees as if their ideas are hers during the hands-on session.

E: Oh come on, MIRROR AWARENESS!

E2: Oh hey there's a chatroom lets see what they have to s

quote:

spread your legs a little please.. thats what would i tell to my model

:catstare:

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 11, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I had to stop watching, the first guy she had to try to shoot did a really great picture and she rushed him off and got someone else to shoot, and because she was terrible she took like ten shots.

When did creative live get so awful?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

red19fire posted:

It seems like her business plan is to get rich women tipsy, who then pay her for the experience of a glamourous photoshoot, rather than a quality end product.

That's pretty much how it works around here. I know guys getting $200 for a two hour shoot, then another $75 for a gaudy book of like 12 prints. All of their shots looks the same, the skin is smoothed to look like a mask, and everything is Glamour Glow'd to hell and back.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

"Don't worry, I'll fix it in photoshop."

Welp, time to move this discussion to the terrible photographer thread.

E: I think she just let slip that she outsources all her post-processing.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 11, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

lol, one of the guys at the workshop is a brilliant lingerie photographer in London I know of. He's been tweeting about it really positively. :/

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Crazy. Well, a couple of photographers here who I think do pretty great work were very positive on it, to.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I guess if you're paying money for something you're a bit more inclined to be positive about it and try and make the most out of it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Well I learned that the key to a good shoot is confidence with the model/subject, so there's that. And the only real way to learn that is just shooting and shooting and shooting.

I can see how it might be good for a beginner that maybe hasn't shot with a model before, or is intimidated by it.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bisticles posted:

That's pretty much how it works around here. I know guys getting $200 for a two hour shoot, then another $75 for a gaudy book of like 12 prints. All of their shots looks the same, the skin is smoothed to look like a mask, and everything is Glamour Glow'd to hell and back.
That's exactly what 99.9% of people who would book a budoir shoot want.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

A family/wedding/portrait studio opened up on my street, really tempted to pop in and have a look to see how awful it is. I mean they do have a flat screen in their waiting room so you know it's legit.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I just tuned into the boudoir session during the couples shoot. I doesn't seem that terrible to me, but I've never watched a professional shoot before. Is this completely different than what should happen?

Specifically, what about it is so terrible? I find it kind of helpful, mostly in terms of how to direct models and stuff, but I've always struggled with that.

e: and right after I posted that, one of the students kept telling the guy to "sniff her!". that's weird.

CarrotFlowers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 12, 2012

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

It's not shockingly bad by itself but I just think she seemed really unprepared and was a relatively poor teacher. Some of her interactions with the students were a bit odd. Like she'd have one guy take a great shot and rush him off, and then let someone take 10 bad photos without commenting on any of it.

She seems like she isn't that technically proficient which is annoying from someone in a workshop setting. Like if you look at the settings she had pre-dialed in from the day before - it's something like 1/800 at ISO 500 at f2 which there is no reason to be at. Like if that's how you work it's okay, but don't teach it as gospel.

I think there are much better resources out there, but for a free web stream it's worth watching a bit.

The thing that really weirded me out is how she had her elderly bearded biker looking assistant right next to her model she was shooting yesterday just staring right at her, which as a professional assistant I found really untoward. I've been inches away from naked women but you don't make eye line at the talent.

I guess what just weirds me out is that a really great London photographer I know is there and he should be teaching it. haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Paragon8 posted:

It's not shockingly bad by itself but I just think she seemed really unprepared and was a relatively poor teacher. Some of her interactions with the students were a bit odd. Like she'd have one guy take a great shot and rush him off, and then let someone take 10 bad photos without commenting on any of it.

She seems like she isn't that technically proficient which is annoying from someone in a workshop setting. Like if you look at the settings she had pre-dialed in from the day before - it's something like 1/800 at ISO 500 at f2 which there is no reason to be at. Like if that's how you work it's okay, but don't teach it as gospel.

I think there are much better resources out there, but for a free web stream it's worth watching a bit.

The thing that really weirded me out is how she had her elderly bearded biker looking assistant right next to her model she was shooting yesterday just staring right at her, which as a professional assistant I found really untoward. I've been inches away from naked women but you don't make eye line at the talent.

I guess what just weirds me out is that a really great London photographer I know is there and he should be teaching it. haha

Yeah I can see those criticisms for sure, and I'm not sure I'd be as happy with them if I had paid for it, but as a free thing, it's nice to see. The biker dude is such a weirdo though haha. From what I saw, he wasn't too involved in this shoot - maybe they realised he was being a total creep and toned it down a bit. I don't know why having an assistant that looks like that at a boudoir shoot where women are probably already feeling self concious seemed like a good idea to her.