Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

david carmichael posted:

Almost nothing in bjj is useful for self defense

Wrestling, on the other hand, teaches you to literally murder someone when you power double them on a sidewalk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Guess I'll be trying out bicep slicer during sparring tonight.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies
Is there a good way to determine what weight class a person should compete at? I have a tournament coming up in a little over a month but I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to drop from middleweight to lightweight. It's about ten pounds, so it wouldn't be a big cut, but I've never competed at that low a weight so I have no idea if I'll be better or worse off.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

IT BEGINS posted:

Is there a good way to determine what weight class a person should compete at? I have a tournament coming up in a little over a month but I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to drop from middleweight to lightweight. It's about ten pounds, so it wouldn't be a big cut, but I've never competed at that low a weight so I have no idea if I'll be better or worse off.

If you're already lean then don't bother losing muscle to compete down a class, unless you're a professional where the tiniest advantages make the difference it won't affect your success.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

origami posted:

said grapplers are obviously 'ungentlemanly' however

The kind of rogues that'll throw someone off the side of the mats.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Yeah, BJJ has NO NOTHIN' in a real deal brawl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llz4g9kS95s

Most fights are about two seconds and mostly people clinched/rolling around. If people have time to square up it probably isn't a "real" fight.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Sorry if I gave that impression of my position. I thought that I made it clearer that I'm talking about the lower level guy who cranks one in lieu of finding a way to separate the hands in an arm bar, which is where the slicer discussion began.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with switching to a slicer while in an armbar, it's not any better or worse than any other normal method of grip breaking. You are prioritizing one option in that situation over the other for reasons that are nonexistent.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Log posted:

Yeah, BJJ has NO NOTHIN' in a real deal brawl!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llz4g9kS95s

Most fights are about two seconds and mostly people clinched/rolling around. If people have time to square up it probably isn't a "real" fight.

this was a dude and his squad picking a fight with a person sitting quietly by himself, which is the opposite of self defense

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If you're already lean then don't bother losing muscle to compete down a class, unless you're a professional where the tiniest advantages make the difference it won't affect your success.

Hmm. I'm not very lean but based on how I've felt at tournaments I'm pretty strong for my weight class. I competed a couple weekends ago at medium heavy even though I was at the very bottom of the weight class and still felt advantaged. I was thinking I have more than enough fat to lose to make it an easy drop but I haven't been that light in so long that I don't know how strong I'll be there.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
bjj works flawlessly in a "real fight" because if you are winning everyone stands around and does absolutely nothing but if you are losing andre dida runs up and punches the guy in the back of the head

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The idea that slicers aren't technical or done by advanced grapplers is such a load of horseshit.

It's even a faulty line of thinking with things like facelocks, really -- sure, they are something that can be "forced" in certain circumstances, but they are also possible to do with technique. Having a strength advantage allows you to be less technical with any kind of sub, that's just the nature of the sport.

Literally every competition I've ever been to has allowed bicep slicers at all levels.

I used to play a ton of lasso guard when I first started out BJJ. One of the most prominent sweeps can end up into a bicep slicer, but knowing the rules, I'd also make a great emphasis in letting go super-early, even though I'd mess with my sweep. At either rate, it got to the point in a couple of IBJJF competitions (like quarters, semis when folks would eventually watch matches and gameplan) that they knew my game, and I've had idiots (oddly enough, they were always Brazilians) pre-emptively tap as soon as I started my sweep to get the cheap DQ (bicep slicers were (are?) a no-no a bluet in IBJJF tournaments). I guess these are the same people who went onto deliberately throwing an opponents leg into a reaping position and screaming in pain to get the DQ. One of the things I always loved most about comp BJJ - when you can't win, win by a fake DQ!

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Which also reminds me of a similar time in a sub only where my opponent decided to go into the infamous assball position for literally 45 minutes. I was annoyed so I decided to simply drive my knee into kidney, or just place enormous amounts of top pressure on him the entire time. After 45 minutes, I was getting rather annoyed/tired so I mounted, but because he was in the assball position, I needed to use my arm to drive back his head in order to get my choke. Dude tapped and immediately complained to the ref saying that he tapped to a neck crank and that since neck cranks were illegal at blue, he should be the winner. Ultimately, the ref laughed and recent us and I won like 20 seconds later... but it was like... really?!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

IT BEGINS posted:

A wise man once told me only sissy-lalas cut weight for grappling tournaments. :haw: (referring to cutting serious water weight) Losing weight over the next month or so though though is probably a good call. Assuming you're not just dropping a bunch of muscle, it'll be worthwhile unless you're just stylistically better against heavier guys. If that's what you're trying to determine, I'd go heavier if you like playing more pressure and lighter if more active, as a really general and probably worthless guideline.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 17, 2016

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

2DCAT posted:

Which also reminds me of a similar time in a sub only where my opponent decided to go into the infamous assball position for literally 45 minutes. I was annoyed so I decided to simply drive my knee into kidney, or just place enormous amounts of top pressure on him the entire time. After 45 minutes, I was getting rather annoyed/tired so I mounted, but because he was in the assball position, I needed to use my arm to drive back his head in order to get my choke. Dude tapped and immediately complained to the ref saying that he tapped to a neck crank and that since neck cranks were illegal at blue, he should be the winner. Ultimately, the ref laughed and recent us and I won like 20 seconds later... but it was like... really?!

Do you mean he was turtled?

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Bicep slicers and heel hooks are some of our most powerful and secret techniques, but you aren't allowed to spar with them because they are too deadly.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

2DCAT posted:

This might because my prof put a shitload of work into developing his turtle 'guard' game, so we learn a bunch of turtle stuff, but it's weird that he wouldn't have found a way to get back to closed guard or you didn't find a way to get an arm or hook in and start to attack or something in that amount of time.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Do you mean he was turtled?

I too want to know about this impenetrable assball position. Everytime I turtle up real tight it seems to add about a 30 second delay to me being inevitably tapped by a blue (or higher) belt.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
Speaking of finishing armbars we learned a neat combination against folks that figure four their arms. This is also assuming they are hiding their top hand under your leg, so start by moving your top leg off their head quickly and replacing it as soon as you grab the wrist of the (far side) hand they are trying to hide. Secure the wrist and lean forward to trap the wrist in between your head and shoulder. Now you can gable grip behind their far side elbow and start to sit back up and straighten out their arm, and then just squeeze your arms in to finish a straight armlock on their far-side arm. Now they have a very easy counter to this attack. which is to let go with their near side arm and push you away and push your gable grip up and off their elbow. At this point you just bail and switch back to their near side arm and finish a conventional armbar.

D
E
C
E
P
T
I
O
N

:angel:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Pool posted:

Speaking of finishing armbars we learned a neat combination against folks that figure four their arms. This is also assuming they are hiding their top hand under your leg, so start by moving your top leg off their head quickly and replacing it as soon as you grab the wrist of the (far side) hand they are trying to hide. Secure the wrist and lean forward to trap the wrist in between your head and shoulder. Now you can gable grip behind their far side elbow and start to sit back up and straighten out their arm, and then just squeeze your arms in to finish a straight armlock on their far-side arm. Now they have a very easy counter to this attack. which is to let go with their near side arm and push you away and push your gable grip up and off their elbow. At this point you just bail and switch back to their near side arm and finish a conventional armbar.

D
E
C
E
P
T
I
O
N

:angel:

this is impossible to parse, just post a video

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Ok well it's official. I'm signed up for the novice (submissions allowed), 30-39, 200-220lb gi and no-gi divisions for a tournament March 19th.

Nervous as hell, but looking forward to bicep slicing every person there.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Alfalfa posted:

Ok well it's official. I'm signed up for the novice (submissions allowed), 30-39, 200-220lb gi and no-gi divisions for a tournament March 19th.

Good luck! Try to get someone to record you, you learn a lot watching how you perform in competition matches.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
You're far ahead in the game simply by having a modicum of athleticism.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Mechafunkzilla posted:

this is impossible to parse, just post a video

This is the closest thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm6Ep03bAlc&t=146s

He's doing the same far side armbar while the opponent has an S grip instead what I was trying explain: fishing out their top hand when they are figure four gripping. She is probably going to let go of her S grip in this case and start trying to fight his grip with her free hand during this slow, telegraphed attack on her far side arm. And then of course he can switch right back to armbarring that near side arm.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Alfalfa posted:

Heck yeah! I'm doing my first tournament on 3/19 as well :ninja::respek::ninja:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Alfalfa posted:

Wait are there tournaments that don't allow submissions?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
United World Wrestling

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Out of curiosity, what kind of strength / flexibility programs do you guys follow (if any)?

I started BJJ and have still been doing 5x a week of strength training on top of hitting a class 5-6x a week. Not sure that's really sustainable or wise.

Against other white belts I can definitely tell my strength gives me an advantage but I have very little sparring experience regardless so I can't say for sure.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Depends on you personally. I usually manage to train 3 times a week and do 2 sessions of basic compound lifts, but I'm a lazy drunk. I have also decided that BJJ is more important to me than lifting, so if I'm injured I cut out the lifting and just train cautiously.

We have one guy in this thread who heals like wolverine and barely needs sleep iirc

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Dangersim posted:

I've seen it done for small children (like 6 and under), but never for an adults division.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Depends on you personally. I usually manage to train 3 times a week and do 2 sessions of basic compound lifts, but I'm a lazy drunk. I have also decided that BJJ is more important to me than lifting, so if I'm injured I cut out the lifting and just train cautiously.

We have one guy in this thread who heals like wolverine and barely needs sleep iirc

That's Yuns iirc.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's Yuns iirc.
Yes, my relatively quick recovery time allows me to push myself pretty hard. It's 1 am in the morning now. I'll work until 3 am then get up at 5 am to go train BJJ. It's winter so I spend my weekday mornings at the academy and then spend all weekend snowboarding.

One thing I will note is that most people who worry about "overtraining" are never anywhere close to actually overtraining. I hear worries from people about overtraining just because they perhaps hit a plateau. When you really overtrain, it is immediately obvious. When I overtrained, it felt exactly like having a bad flu without the respiratory symptoms.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 18, 2016

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

Dangersim posted:

Some judo tournaments allow chokes but not armlocks in adult novice divisions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

sivad posted:

Some judo tournaments allow chokes but not armlocks in adult novice divisions.

Western Canadian standard is no submissions in divisions below green, or if either athlete is sub-green in combined divisions.

e. and no armbars at all until u-18, and no chokes at all until u-16.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Feb 18, 2016

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Kekekela posted:

A wise man once told me only sissy-lalas cut weight for grappling tournaments. :haw: (referring to cutting serious water weight) Losing weight over the next month or so though though is probably a good call. Assuming you're not just dropping a bunch of muscle, it'll be worthwhile unless you're just stylistically better against heavier guys. If that's what you're trying to determine, I'd go heavier if you like playing more pressure and lighter if more active, as a really general and probably worthless guideline.

Yeah, going to go for the 'cut'. I figure the worst case is I end up realizing I'm not going to make it for the registration deadline and end up bulking back up a bit the week before the competition. I've come in at the middle of a weight class before and not really felt disadvantaged, so it should be fine. The benefits of making it are definitely worth it, though!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyone recommend any resources for smaller guys training with bigger guys? Emily Kwok?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Anyone recommend any resources for smaller guys training with bigger guys? Emily Kwok?

Stephan Kesting did a series on this recently: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyknAhj6gPvJE1wVYlbZ8jZDclBfi9wtY

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Yuns posted:

Yes, my relatively quick recovery time allows me to push myself pretty hard. It's 1 am in the morning now. I'll work until 3 am then get up at 5 am to go train BJJ. It's winter so I spend my weekday mornings at the academy and then spend all weekend snowboarding.

One thing I will note is that most people who worry about "overtraining" are never anywhere close to actually overtraining. I hear worries from people about overtraining just because they perhaps hit a plateau. When you really overtrain, it is immediately obvious. When I overtrained, it felt exactly like having a bad flu without the respiratory symptoms.

Do you follow a special diet at all?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

origami posted:

Do you follow a special diet at all?
Not really. I try to eat pretty well. A lot of salads and clean protein and very little carbs or added sugar. But I think my recovery time is highly genetic. My kids are the same way. They are in elementary school but they are currently on a junior ski team, club swim team, gymnastics and tennis. That's about 16 hours of training a week right now not including gym at school and they have no problem with that schedule even at 8. Even though it seems like it from that description, I'm not a "sports dad." Gymnastics and tennis are completely on their own initiative. The one thing we pushed was swimming for safety reasons.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 18, 2016

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Yuns posted:

Yeah - I'm not that worried about overtraining - more that time focused on strength training becoming detrimental to BJJ (perhaps?)

What kind of training program do you follow? Do you do powerlifting style? More of a "crossfit" style? Or do you just vary it up a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Vomik posted:

Yeah - I'm not that worried about overtraining - more that time focused on strength training becoming detrimental to BJJ (perhaps?)

What kind of training program do you follow? Do you do powerlifting style? More of a "crossfit" style? Or do you just vary it up a lot?
On a rehab schedule because of nerve injuries, but prior to the injuries a simple powerlifting style. Deadlift, squat, bench, row all heavy and low rep but high volume. The majority of the serious competitors that I know weight train and do strength and conditioning seriously. We have a platform for oly lifts at the academy. A lot of my teammates work with Martin Rooney. So strength training is not detrimental and in fact is important to most serious BJJ competitors. (I know there are some notable exceptions who allegedly never weight train such as Marcelo.)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 18, 2016