Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

I like mountune but there is no reason to buy their locked down AP or stage 1 stuff.

Buy an AP and a whoosh motorsports (chinesium core) fmic and get an off the shelf or custom tune. That will get you to 95% gains on all the stage 3 poo poo.

Downpipe exhaust and intake are all noisemakers unless you install a bigger turbo.

I'm not going to buy their locked down AP, I'm well past the mileage where that even makes any sense at all. I'm looking at the "FB1" package which includes a RMM, drop-in air filter, and free e-tune on top of their customized OTS tunes. I could also of course load the Cobb OTS offerings. The RMM alone seems to make the extra $89 over the price of a base Cobb AP worth it. Am I missing something?

I am definitely interested in the intercooler though.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

wolrah posted:

I'm not going to buy their locked down AP, I'm well past the mileage where that even makes any sense at all. I'm looking at the "FB1" package which includes a RMM, drop-in air filter, and free e-tune on top of their customized OTS tunes. I could also of course load the Cobb OTS offerings. The RMM alone seems to make the extra $89 over the price of a base Cobb AP worth it. Am I missing something?

I am definitely interested in the intercooler though.

Ah OK, I didnt realize it was a regular AP. That's all good stuff and a good price. The FMIC should be your next purchase after that, imo.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I know we have some Focus RS owners in here. Did any of you cross shop with a Mustang? I know they are apples and oranges, but for around the same price, and performance numbers close wondering how they compared for you.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

opengl128 posted:

I know we have some Focus RS owners in here. Did any of you cross shop with a Mustang? I know they are apples and oranges, but for around the same price, and performance numbers close wondering how they compared for you.

I cross shopped mine with a GT with performance pack. It was pretty close, but the deciding factors were the AWD and cargo room. I play ice hockey and ski, so being able to fit giant bags in the car was important.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

xsf421 posted:

I cross shopped mine with a GT with performance pack. It was pretty close, but the deciding factors were the AWD and cargo room. I play ice hockey and ski, so being able to fit giant bags in the car was important.

Yeah I've been thinking PP also. I have a beater with plenty of room (Vibe) and I'd be replacing my Corvette with the Mustang, so no worries there about practicality.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Make sure you give the Mustang a good, long test drive. It could be that my girlfriend has had a Mustang for the last 10 years and I'm tired of them but the new ones were just so unremarkable. They make the right noises, look great, have plenty of power, price is right etc but driving it just felt so bleh, completely bland.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
any of y'all fist folks done a subwoofer/amp upgrade? any issues tying into the rear speaker lines?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
also, any of you folks play around with forscan at all? looks like you can do some rad poo poo with it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sneakyfrog posted:

any of y'all fist folks done a subwoofer/amp upgrade? any issues tying into the rear speaker lines?

I put an under-seat subwoofer in mine. The rear speaker lines are super easy to get to under the trim panel by the floor.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

sneakyfrog posted:

also, any of you folks play around with forscan at all? looks like you can do some rad poo poo with it.

I used it to enable putting down one’s windows using the key fob on my ST. I’ve also never used that feature after enabling it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GutBomb posted:

I put an under-seat subwoofer in mine. The rear speaker lines are super easy to get to under the trim panel by the floor.

did you have any weird audio issues with the rear lines as opposed to using the front ones? i have heard the rear level outputs are modulated from the head unit a bit which was why i was asking, also what underseat one and how boomy does it get?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I had a kenwood ksc-sw11. It's not boomy at all. It basically just fills in the bass that the stock speakers are lacking. It wasn't even powerful enough to vibrate the rear view mirror.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have a Cerwin Vega VPAS10 I'm going to be installing as soon as the temperature in my garage is consistently above freezing, I'll make sure to take pics. It's too large to mount under the seat but should fit on the "shelf" next to the spare tire under the rear floor.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

wolrah posted:

I have a Cerwin Vega VPAS10 I'm going to be installing as soon as the temperature in my garage is consistently above freezing, I'll make sure to take pics. It's too large to mount under the seat but should fit on the "shelf" next to the spare tire under the rear floor.

oh cool i wanted to do the mounting there for cleanliness. please do take pics and such.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

In my FoRS, I'm planning on removing the foam that holds the stock sub and replacing it with a horn loaded design that will fit in the same space. I might figure out a way to put a switch on the fake engine noise maker so I can disable it on the highway while I'm back there.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
guys where the gently caress can i get service manuals for the car. 2017 fist

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

sneakyfrog posted:

guys where the gently caress can i get service manuals for the car. 2017 fist

There's a CD available on eBay that has them in pdf. That's where I got mine.

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

sneakyfrog posted:

I disabled my TPMS with it. Got tired of seeing the warning with the winter setup on the car.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hansolio posted:

I disabled my TPMS with it. Got tired of seeing the warning with the winter setup on the car.

I learned that VW does some rad poo poo on the GTI (and probably everything else) for this. The tires don't actually have sensors, they just use the wheel speed sensors to detect a change between them. You set the point where the pressure inside is correct which it uses for a reference. So I just have to reset that when I change tires, no special tools or hardware needed. I thought this was neat and wondered why I wasn't getting an option for buying TPMS sensors additionally (I wouldn't have anyway) when I was buying winter wheels/tires.

Wish other OEMs would do this and I'm surprised they don't. Would save on costs for the sensors significantly for sensors that are already on the car anyway.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

GutBomb posted:

There's a CD available on eBay that has them in pdf. That's where I got mine.

got a link of some sort? even the ones labelled 2017 only went up to 2011, or is it the $250 one?

e: scratch that i found one, thanks.

TehRedWheelbarrow fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 2, 2018

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
New to me GTI clutch update: sales guy is going to get a Porsche ombudsman to get in touch with the VW dealership that's under the same ownership umbrella, we'll see what happens.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Larrymer posted:

I learned that VW does some rad poo poo on the GTI (and probably everything else) for this. The tires don't actually have sensors, they just use the wheel speed sensors to detect a change between them. You set the point where the pressure inside is correct which it uses for a reference. So I just have to reset that when I change tires, no special tools or hardware needed. I thought this was neat and wondered why I wasn't getting an option for buying TPMS sensors additionally (I wouldn't have anyway) when I was buying winter wheels/tires.

Wish other OEMs would do this and I'm surprised they don't. Would save on costs for the sensors significantly for sensors that are already on the car anyway.

I think this is a common feature if you don't have real TPMS. I've had a Mini and a Mazda that both have it. It's actually kind of annoying because you sometimes get false positives, and since it doesn't report actual pressure you have to check yourself every time that happens.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Hikaki posted:

I think this is a common feature if you don't have real TPMS. I've had a Mini and a Mazda that both have it. It's actually kind of annoying because you sometimes get false positives, and since it doesn't report actual pressure you have to check yourself every time that happens.

Works for the cheapskate (me) who never buys TPMS sensors for winter wheels.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Toyota did that for awhile in the mid-00's

It was sensitive enough on my Matrix that the mismatched (compound, not size) tires that the OP had on it would trip the alarm occasionally.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Larrymer posted:

Works for the cheapskate (me) who never buys TPMS sensors for winter wheels.

Yeah, it's sorta nice that my wife's Fit doesn't freak out when I put the Blizzaks on. The Forester lights the TPMS indicator, flashes a warning in the center of the console to tell me to get it checked out, and I get an e-mail from Subaru every month telling me my car has an issue. ("Multiple STARLINKTM lights" this month, actually, because I need to refill my washer fluid.)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Just kicked a 3” thick half circle of packed ice out of my front wheel wells today. gently caress this weather. Fiesta on 185/65/15 winter tires is a beast though. Slashing through the slush on my pizza cutters :clint:

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

PaintVagrant posted:

Just kicked a 3” thick half circle of packed ice out of my front wheel wells today. gently caress this weather. Fiesta on 185/65/15 winter tires is a beast though. Slashing through the slush on my pizza cutters :clint:

Yeah, our old Focus was a champ in the snow on winter tires. I can't remember who here took those wheels after the car was totaled -- hope he enjoyed them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
fiesta owners (and i think focus) if you are replacing your speakers these are direct fit for the factory harness

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016YIFQ7I/

just fyi

they only work for the mains, not the door tweeters, i positapped those.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
after a decent drive today, yeah still needs a sub. those tiny speakers cant put out the bass much.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else bitter watching Top Gear and thinking well that up GTI looks really neat I bet it won't sell in America?

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Eifert Posting posted:

Anyone else bitter watching Top Gear and thinking well that up GTI looks really neat I bet it won't sell in America?

Yes :(

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
edit: nm

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 9, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Eifert Posting posted:

I saw that.

I also have a 3 week old GTI sitting in my driveway. Piss off, May!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the Up! is going to come to the USA in 2036 and the Up! GTI could potentially come to the USA in 2043

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Oh my god the Up GTI :3:

yeah, like the Yaris GRMN it's never coming here

We should thank Car God that we got the Fiesta ST

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the Up! is going to come to the USA in 2036 and the Up! GTI could potentially come to the USA in 2043

It’ll come with level 9 autonomous as well.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
So Ford is taking away the FiST but don't worry! We're getting another ST! It's... It's... It's an Edge ST.
:smith:

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/edge/2019/2019-ford-edge-st-first-look-review

I'm not mad. Just disappointed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's so weird. I figured it would be the Ecosport.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There is zero chance the Up! would pass ped safety regulations in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM

Rhyno posted:

That's so weird. I figured it would be the Ecosport.

One of the jalopnik writers was hoping for a Ranger ST, and I think that would be relatively awesome compared to an Edge. They could just call it the baby raptor.