Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

The dog is bullshit, don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

The dog is bullshit, don't bother.

But the little girl needs me, man. I don't even remember what the rewards for that quest were because I only completed it once :v:. I guess I'll just go hit 5 in the small cave then do the VD or DD and head out into the game proper.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

GreyPowerVan posted:

the rewards for that quest

A small boost towards Lawful alignment. That's it.

It's basically a challenge quest disguised as babby's first quest to kill new players. I usually just let the dog die and go fetch its corpse for the girl when I've leveled up enough to do it safely. Or pretend I'm Jeremy from Peep Show and eat it in front of her.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 21, 2015

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

GreyPowerVan posted:

I'm mostly going in to try to hit level 6 or so really quickly so I can go save the cute dog. I have a feeling that I should leave at level 5 though, cause I always end up ganked by a high level named NPC.

You need to save the puppy before the end of day 3 of in-game time. It's...not exactly easy.

Otherwise its corpse just sits there and waits patiently for you to go get it. It never rots so you don't even need to turn it in. Hell you could cook it and carry it through the whole game if that struck your fancy. I ate it in front of the little girl one time then told her about it.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You need to save the puppy before the end of day 3 of in-game time. It's...not exactly easy.

I mean, I did it once before and I do realize that it's hard to do -- I just want to do it to say that I can. I'm already going to die in the majority of my games, at least they die early in these runs :eng101:

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

btw don't actually eat the dog, I'm pretty sure it curses and/or dooms you.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Otherwise its corpse just sits there and waits patiently for you to go get it. It never rots so you don't even need to turn it in. Hell you could cook it and carry it through the whole game if that struck your fancy. I ate it in front of the little girl one time then told her about it.

I usually just dive down to L6 to spawn the pup, then immediately go back up the stairs to lock it to its current state. Then come back later at Clvl 15 with controlled teleportation and save it with style

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

You could also just blow a wish for a 'cute dog' instead. She'll never know the difference.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wafflecopper posted:

btw don't actually eat the dog, I'm pretty sure it curses and/or dooms you.

It does. Your point?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Helical Nightmares posted:

Slumberlings are not to be trifled with in general. That looks like a monster.

Fighting them is more like gambling than anything, if you have decent ranged attacks. They have something like a 50% chance of falling asleep on any given turn, and they rarely remember that they have a charge attack, so if you have enough HP to tank one charge and attack them from range then you probably won't get pummeled to death. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or just take a freezing mutation and slumberlings become stationary XP powerups.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Helical Nightmares posted:

I think both derive from "claw/claw/bite" from Dungeons and Dragons.

This is correct. Claw Claw Bite is a tradition, that's why the Triger uses claw claw claw claw claw claw bite bite bite, it's a nod to classic D&D monsters.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

This is correct. Claw Claw Bite is a tradition, that's why the Triger uses claw claw claw claw claw claw bite bite bite, it's a nod to classic D&D monsters.

In Qud that bottom row is just a list of visible equipment. We just implement body-part based attacks with (cursed) items called "Claw" and "Bite" :D

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

A small boost towards Lawful alignment. That's it.

It's basically a challenge quest disguised as babby's first quest to kill new players. I usually just let the dog die and go fetch its corpse for the girl when I've leveled up enough to do it safely. Or pretend I'm Jeremy from Peep Show and eat it in front of her.

uh excuse me you forgot the most important reward: sometimes when you talk to the little girl she'll give you candy.

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.
I tend to save a wish just for a puppy right before I leave if I manage to win somehow.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

4 loving agility mods in the space of 2 levels

ive found like 9 so far

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

TWIST FIST posted:

4 loving agility mods in the space of 2 levels

ive found like 9 so far

So that's where all mine went. I got all the way to halfway through episode 3 yesterday with Steel Boots (A)

I have seen like 2 power mods total in my last 8-9 games. It sucks having to move to pump the shotgun.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Dross posted:

So that's where all mine went. I got all the way to halfway through episode 3 yesterday with Steel Boots (A)

I have seen like 2 power mods total in my last 8-9 games. It sucks having to move to pump the shotgun.

You can actually pump the shotgun in place by hitting the reload key. Moving is still probably better because it lets you dodge, though.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Got my first win :toot: final count was 12 agility mods

I went with a melee build with Vampyre on HNTR, the chainsaw carried me through the entire run. The highlight of the run was when I found a berserk pack and an invincibility sphere right next to a red staircase and charged down it without checking to see what it was. Turns out it was the Mortuary :v: The invincibility ran out halfway through but I managed to wade through all the enemies anyway. Vampyre is really strong

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Floodkiller posted:

You can actually pump the shotgun in place by hitting the reload key. Moving is still probably better because it lets you dodge, though.

Yeah, in later levels you pretty much want to spend as much time as possible running if you're shotgun built.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TWIST FIST posted:

I went with a melee build with Vampyre on HNTR, the chainsaw carried me through the entire run. The highlight of the run was when I found a berserk pack and an invincibility sphere right next to a red staircase and charged down it without checking to see what it was. Turns out it was the Mortuary :v: The invincibility ran out halfway through but I managed to wade through all the enemies anyway. Vampyre is really strong

Nice! I skipped the Mortuary on my AoB run; gently caress that place entirely.

The run I did for the LP thread got Limbo, though, which is much more tractable. Hopefully I'll be able to post the first episode this weekend.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

TWIST FIST posted:

Ironically, a well-equipped and well-stocked Vampyre melee ogre is one of the few character builds I feel reasonably confident entering the Mortuary with, since Berserker's damage reduction and lethality boost coupled with Vampyre's health recovery makes you loving near impossible to kill if you're in a big mob of chaff enemies. Incidentally, the Arch-Viles in the Mortuary also constantly resurrect those chaff enemies, which can make it even easier to recover a bunch of health and max out your berserk duration if you position and prioritize targets well. Clearing the Mortuary on Angel of Berserk is absurdly metal and feels pretty kickass :black101:

Melee builds are hard as gently caress to get off the ground sometimes, but once they get rolling, holy poo poo they just flat out do not stop for anything or anyone.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
So, Curious Expedition EA is out. I bought in on their website a month or so ago, and played it for a few hours. It's not really a roguelike in any classic sense of the world, because the combat is very straightforward, and you can skip it almost entirely (but it is actually well designed), and the biggest challenge comes from the resource management.

Basically, you need to collect as many trinkets as possible and find the pyramid before starving and/or going insane. To do that, you have to go through the jungles, climb mountains, spelunk the caves, etc.. Most of this can be done very slowly and at great mental cost, but there are different kinds of consumables that allow you to do it quicker/cheaper. It's very difficult to hoard them, so you're always weighing the risk of killing another elephant for the sweet tusk money/prestige or making a run for the pyramid. The levels very quickly get harder (there are 6 parts in all, so you'll be done in an 60-90 minutes), and all the stuff you have carries over. It means that the early levels aren't a walkover as you want to get through them with as little spending as possible.

I like the game but it's not well balanced at the moment, there's some content lacking (namely, special challenges for expeditions, different biomes), there's some wiki-ing needed if you don't want to get locked out of victory the first times you play, and sometimes you can get simply locked out of completing a map, and you don't have an option to bail out yet. The devs are aware of fall this, and they're promising to get it sorted out before the final release. The updates have been steady and meaty, and there are lots of good ideas in already that work together well, it just needs a couple more layers of polish.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

After having watched Mad Max: Fury Road (which is awesome, go see it) I find myself wishing there was a "Mad Max" Roguelike. Something like Caves of Qud (which I have been playing more of, and enjoying) blended with the vehicle customization and other elements of Cataclysm DDA.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

After having watched Mad Max: Fury Road (which is awesome, go see it) I find myself wishing there was a "Mad Max" Roguelike. Something like Caves of Qud (which I have been playing more of, and enjoying) blended with the vehicle customization and other elements of Cataclysm DDA.

Have you checked out Convoy? It's an FTL-like/inspired roguelike and it might scratch your itch for vehicular mayhem as you carve enemy vehicles apart with lasers, blow them up, or just equip chansaws and ram them into the terrain.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I saw that, but its pretty different from a "normal" RL such as CoQ or Cata:DDA, plus goons in this thread and the steam thread have made it sound rather mediocre, though not bad.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I saw that, but its pretty different from a "normal" RL such as CoQ or Cata:DDA, plus goons in this thread and the steam thread have made it sound rather mediocre, though not bad.

I would go so far as to say it's good but commits the biggest sin a roguelike can do: it lacks really good re-playability. The combat is fun and such, but the choices you make and the builds you create don't quite feel different enough to really be worth it. The big problem I feel is that weapons are just a bit too weak so you end up plinking away at enemy HP pools unless you can ram them into an oncoming cliff or off a bridge and be done with them. Because of this combat and weapons start to feel same-y really fast.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, that sounds pretty much like a "no sale" to me. Maybe on a good sale, I dunno.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The 1.45 update to Elona+ seemed to have finally done away with the absurd grind on spending platinum coins. What took 20 plat now takes 4. That leaves fame grinding as the most demanding amount of work if you don't abuse the system.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm kinda getting the urge to get back into elona lately. What exactly is elona+? Some kind of fan fork?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

I'm kinda getting the urge to get back into elona lately. What exactly is elona+? Some kind of fan fork?

It's one of the more stable forks. There's an Elona thread around here somewhere that has links to it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

What took 20 plat now takes 4.

Jesus christ. Now that's tempting.

The links in the thread are wildly out of date but I'll see if I can fix it up.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Elona+ is a newbie-friendly fan expansion of Elona. It fixes the problems of Elona and continually adds new content and continents. No more of that lopsided enemy leveling and being punished for having money. Just forget everything you know about Elona and consider it a whole new game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It also more or less triples the amount of content, but none of the new stuff is in English.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

dis astranagant posted:

It also more or less triples the amount of content, but none of the new stuff is in English.

the ultimate in roguelike difficulty for a good chunk of the world, honestly

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

And that's why I still haven't tried Elona+. Goddamned moon language.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RickVoid posted:

It's almost all after the old endboss, so you can still just play to there like normal but with all the improvements.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

RickVoid posted:

Seems okay to me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

This Serious Sam Rogue is hard...

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

This Serious Sam Rogue is hard...

Screen isn't filled with a continuous "AAAAAAAAAAAA", 4/10.