Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was a pocket burger.

Also Miles has pockets on his costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I still love that Molecule Man made God Doom fight Reed Richards fairly because neither of them brought him food, so that made them even. Doom could have protected his godhood with a hamburger, but was an inconsiderate jerk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Die Laughing posted:

I still love that Molecule Man made God Doom fight Reed Richards fairly because neither of them brought him food, so that made them even. Doom could have protected his godhood with a hamburger, but was an inconsiderate jerk.

You mean a DOOMburger.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The fact that the final battle of a multi-year super storyline hinged on how hungry someone was and how nobody would give him anything to eat is one of the greatest things about Secret Wars.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

It was a pocket burger.

Also Miles has pockets on his costume.

Didn't Ultimate Nick Fury give him that costume.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

X-O posted:

Hey, dude was hungry as hell. He hadn't eaten in like eight years. You literally hold a world together for eight years and see if you won't eat a week old burger.

Yes, but an 8 year and one week old burger?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Didn't Ultimate Nick Fury give him that costume.

Indeed he did. What does Fury know that we don't?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Indeed he did. What does Fury know that we don't?

He was tired of Peter skipping out on checks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Did we ever find out if it was really 8 years or just that doom wanted everyone to think it had been 8 years

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Did we ever find out if it was really 8 years or just that doom wanted everyone to think it had been 8 years

I'm pretty sure the reason we know it's 8 years is because Doom wants his subjects to think it's been longer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Dr Strange was aware of everything that happened and he's who they learned about how long it had been from.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Dr Strange was aware of everything that happened and he's who they learned about how long it had been from.

Ah okay i remembered that strange had something to do with that number but not the specifics

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Don't forget the important part though, the burg was in stasis or estivation or whatever for those 8 years

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Scaramouche posted:

Don't forget the important part though, the burg was in stasis or estivation or whatever for those 8 years

Yeah exactly. It was only actually about a week old

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The burger survived the end of a universe.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah exactly. It was only actually about a week old

Three weeks passed between the life raft coming out of stasis and Miles and Peter meeting Molecule Man.

I just flipped through it to check

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Unstable Molecules

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mover posted:

Unstable Molecular Gastronomy

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

God knows what types of preservatives they were using in the Ultimate Universe (though using all that money to develop preservatives seems like a waste in hindsight).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
They were truly Ultimate Preservatives.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

buncha goons acting like they haven't eaten burgers they found without questioning how old they were

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

X-O posted:

The fact that the final battle of a multi-year super storyline hinged on how hungry someone was and how nobody would give him anything to eat is one of the greatest things about Secret Wars.

It's an act of genius that Hickman created a situation that legitimately could have been resolved by a judicious application of Hostess Fruit Pies.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's an act of genius that Hickman created a situation that legitimately could have been resolved by a judicious application of Hostess Fruit Pies.

And an act of foolishness that he didn't use fruit pies in the end

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I havent read the comic in question, and its a long time since I've read anything with Molecule Man in it, but... He's molecule man, if he wasn hungry couldnt he have rearranged molecules from the air to make basically any food?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Doesn't he have some limitation about organic stuff? I remember Aron the Watcher trying to beat him by wrapping him up with tree branches (which panicked him until he realized they weren't real trees and turned them into paper). But then he's also created entire universes, so Idunno.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

He overcame his limitations wrt organic molecules relatively early in his career. I assume he only had it in the first place so he couldn't just explode all the Marvel heroes who got in his way with a thought.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

SiKboy posted:

I havent read the comic in question, and its a long time since I've read anything with Molecule Man in it, but... He's molecule man, if he wasn hungry couldnt he have rearranged molecules from the air to make basically any food?

I kinda took it as MM being "everything" and therefore his hunger was for anything more, which could only exist from outside battleworld. So the burger was new content.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Wasn't it a plot point in the original secret wars that molecule man's inability to affect organics was just a mental block and Doom talked him out of it?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That would mean Molecule Man is Doom's boner.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Miles giving Molecule Man a burger from his pocket feels like something that would happen in a Marvel LucasArts game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

site posted:

Wasn't it a plot point in the original secret wars that molecule man's inability to affect organics was just a mental block and Doom talked him out of it?

I think Doom laid his hand square on Owen Reece's forehead and cleared it up with his Beyonder-powers.

Edit: Okay, not right on the forehead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Unmature posted:

Miles giving Molecule Man a burger from his pocket feels like something that would happen in a Marvel LucasArts game.
Ooh, a ruby! Munch munch crunch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

prefect posted:

I think Doom laid his hand square on Owen Reece's forehead and cleared it up with his Beyonder-powers.

Edit: Okay, not right on the forehead.

Do anything but think up a not lovely outfit

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Molecule Man's combination lightning bolt shoulderpads and happy trail outfit owns the poo poo out of swimsuit robot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

Molecule Man's combination lightning bolt shoulderpads and happy trail outfit owns the poo poo out of swimsuit robot.

Yeah, Doom needs a cloak or at least like a tunic for his outfit to work.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, Doom needs a cloak or at least like a tunic for his outfit to work.

I wonder if they had Doom lose his cape because the Secret Wars toy version didn't come with one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Selachian posted:

I wonder if they had Doom lose his cape because the Secret Wars toy version didn't come with one.

Secret Wars was a notoriously low-budget toy line. Mattel probably used that simpler Doom costume because they didn't want the expense of sculpting and mass-producing his cloak and cape, and I also recall a rumor that they didn't want some medieval-looking guy, but someone more robotlike. So instead, he got a "swimsuit" and a garter.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Shooter said in an interview that Doom got a costume change because Mattel wanted him to be more futuristic looking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Shooter said in an interview that Doom got a costume change because Mattel wanted him to be more futuristic looking.

Yes, futuristic in this toy line where the gimmick was everyone had a handheld shield with rivets moulded in... :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That pouch garter is pretty cute.