Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Ghosts you place from blueprints or shift clicking stay forever, ghosts from destroyed items still expire after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Reactors update!
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/GotLag/Reactors

25 MW power pack, description of pump settings here.

Yes, I know I need to do a proper write-up at some point.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Last time I played the rocket was still a gray textbox so I'm seeing lots of improvements, but oil transport still sucks? Got a train moving 10 barrels back and forth between three exhausted (but moduled) deposits and the central refinery. Am I overlooking some new mechanic or does the game still expect me to lay miles of underground pipes? Note that I'm planning on installing all the quality of life mods I've seen in the thread (and maybe that kick-rear end reactor, too), but this game is to remain mod-free; any tips to make it as painless as possible are appreciated.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

seravid posted:

Am I overlooking some new mechanic or does the game still expect me to lay miles of underground pipes?

Either barrel the oil and use trains, or install a tanker mod.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

GotLag posted:

Reactors update!

Oh, nice! I just got my breeder setup running nicely last night, can't wait to try out the new toys!

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

GotLag posted:

Reactors update!
Your mods are great!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

seravid posted:

Last time I played the rocket was still a gray textbox so I'm seeing lots of improvements, but oil transport still sucks? Got a train moving 10 barrels back and forth between three exhausted (but moduled) deposits and the central refinery. Am I overlooking some new mechanic or does the game still expect me to lay miles of underground pipes? Note that I'm planning on installing all the quality of life mods I've seen in the thread (and maybe that kick-rear end reactor, too), but this game is to remain mod-free; any tips to make it as painless as possible are appreciated.

If it's within about 300 underground pipes, just lay them (that's approx the distance you can parallel double pump things without speed losses). At least you can just click n run now so it's fairly painless. Any further make a hundred or so barrels and train it.

Elos
Jan 8, 2009

seravid posted:

My oil stations look like this:

And the wagons are set up like this:

The trains are set up to wait until empty "barrels = 100" on the unload and "full barrels = 0" in the filling stations. Simple to set up and one pair of assemblers are fast enough to feed a surprising amount of refineries.

edit: please ignore the messy pipes etc this was the first one I built many weeks ago

Elos fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 3, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

Reactors update!

I upgraded the Yuoki save I have these in and they are running at half power (56 degrees), they were going flat out before. I set the pumps and triggers up as you described and it pulses on and off at about 1Hz. Do I have to lift the buildings and put them back down or something?

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Ratzap posted:

I upgraded the Yuoki save I have these in and they are running at half power (56 degrees), they were going flat out before. I set the pumps and triggers up as you described and it pulses on and off at about 1Hz. Do I have to lift the buildings and put them back down or something?

Worth a shot. First rule of computers: turn it off, turn it on again

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you run pipes parallel to some power lines, you can theoretically slide in some pump formations that'll increase speeds that oil will reach the endpoint. Just be aware that higher numbers of pumps the distance between stations dramatically decreases, if you check this Factorio forum post you will see that a single pump can shove oil a distance of 759 pipes before slowdown, but five pumps can only keep it pressurised for only 4 pipes (underground pipes count as two, one for each endpoint).

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Are there any mods to make stuff like balancing across multiple belts less of a pain in the rear end?

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

Klaus Kinski posted:

Are there any mods to make stuff like balancing across multiple belts less of a pain in the rear end?

Hacked splitters might help

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Murdersquish/hacked-splitters

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Worth a shot. First rule of computers: turn it off, turn it on again

It's a real PITA, I had them set up putting out a steady 25.1 MW each and now she no worky no more. I might just slide 1.1.1 back in and forget this release happened.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What's your setup?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Installing mods for this game is a pain in the rear end. Is there any good packs I can download with Angel Ores and Bob's mods? I tried grabbing the one off Arumba's stream but it seems to be out of date.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Demiurge4 posted:

Installing mods for this game is a pain in the rear end. Is there any good packs I can download with Angel Ores and Bob's mods? I tried grabbing the one off Arumba's stream but it seems to be out of date.

you do know there's an in-game manager for mods now, right?

It's never been easier.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Renegret posted:

you do know there's an in-game manager for mods now, right?

It's never been easier.

So that thing's worth the hassle of setting up an account?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ehhh..maybe? It could have a better UX; you can only update/install a single mod at a time and each time you do it resets the filters back to the defaults so if you're trying to get all the mods necessary for say, Bob's Mods, you have to keep doing the same stupid steps over and over again.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

OddObserver posted:

So that thing's worth the hassle of setting up an account?

It makes it super easy to install mods 10/10 would download again

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
They said fixed the ordering of the mod portal list a patch or two ago.

If you grab one of Arumba's packs you can then just have it automatically update all the mods for you, with the exception case of Angel's petroleum, which isn't in Arumba's packs yet. Beware that he's been cutting stuff like Hacked Splitter, EvoGUI, Factorissimo and Inventory Sorting from the packs because they have comparatively high impacts on performance, so if you want those you'll have to grab them yourself.

It's also worth grabbing GotLag's flowcontrol mod, as whilst bob's seems to have almost everything else (near and far inserters etc) I don't think it has all those functions quite yet.

You might want to play with RSO's settings if you use it and are used to large resource patches in the starting area, the config files are in the zip. And autofill, for some reason it currently prefers feeding poles to burners instead of raw wood.

Nullkigan fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Oct 4, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

What's your setup?

The same as your first reference one but with 8 YI generators each instead of the 50 engines. This is the picture I posted before

If I use version 1.1.1 and load the save it runs steady at 25MW each reactor. I drop in 1.3.0 and they sit at 56 degrees water or pulse if the output pumps have a 100 degree setting.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How much water do those engines use?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

How much water do those engines use?

All of it, the tanks never filled and I took them out later. I went into the save again with 1.1.1 running and took this just now

hovering over the controls so the numbers are visible. The first generator shows 0.4 water, the rest none but they have full performance bars.

EDIT: I went and checked the LUA for those generators, they have fluid_usage_per_tick = 0.6602

Ratzap fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 4, 2016

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

EDIT: I went and checked the LUA for those generators, they have fluid_usage_per_tick = 0.6602

Well, there's your problem.

0.6602 * 4 = 5.2816 fluid per tick
5.2816 * 60 = 316.896 fluid per second

Heating 1 unit of water 1 degree requires 1 kJ, so:
316.896 * 85 = 26936.16 kW

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The odd part is it worked before, it was only on a whim that I went and looked in the LUA.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ratzap posted:

The odd part is it worked before, it was only on a whim that I went and looked in the LUA.

The previous heat transfer algorithm had an error in it and could enter unstable oscillation in certain conditions. I guess a side-effect was slight overproduction in your case.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

The previous heat transfer algorithm had an error in it and could enter unstable oscillation in certain conditions. I guess a side-effect was slight overproduction in your case.

I put the new steam turbine parts you provided in but they're not producing as much as they should. Are they secondary power perhaps? I have tons of that for demand loading (to cover the crazy YI machines that draw 150MW) that are secondaries and I see them active. I was wanting to use the nuclear to provide primary power since it has a minimum anyway. When I set them up with 2 of your engines and the pumps as your last description where in comes on < 200 water and out at temp = 100, they cut out frequently as the coolant temp doesn't seem to stay at 100 for any length of time.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've changed turbine priority to primary output and increased theoretical reactor max power to 27.5 MW. I've also played around with stack sizes - uranium, DU and spent fuel now stack to 100, enriched fuel and plutonium stack to 10.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

I've changed turbine priority to primary output and increased theoretical reactor max power to 27.5 MW. I've also played around with stack sizes - uranium, DU and spent fuel now stack to 100, enriched fuel and plutonium stack to 10.

I saw the new version and put it in. They're still not behaving well under load though. If I remove the output pump condition they settle to running at 65 degrees. If I keep a condition of pump when coolant temp > 99 they pulse on for a second or two then off for one while the water reheats. I put in a forth reactor running fission, the other 3 are running as breeders but they all behave the same way. I split the power network off from the reactor buildings and they are serviced by a separate network (that way brownouts should have no impact on the reactors running needs). I should get 100MW from them combined but when I drop a massive load onto the network, they barely give 56MW. Normal factory running at around 75MW they handle ok but still pulse with temperature.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
You've got four pumps pulling out (max flow of 600 fluid/sec) and 6 offshore pumps going in (max 360).

If I put four output pumps on my test rig and cold-start it under full load it also fails to achieve a steady output.

One thing that seems to work is on each pair of output pumps, having the second only start when core temp > 105.

Edit: by the way, the input pumps aren't decorative.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 4, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

You've got four pumps pulling out (max flow of 600 fluid/sec) and 6 offshore pumps going in (max 360).

If I put four output pumps on my test rig and cold-start it under full load it also fails to achieve a steady output.

One thing that seems to work is on each pair of output pumps, having the second only start when core temp > 105.

Edit: by the way, the input pumps aren't decorative.

That's not what the last few tests looked like tbh. I played around with all sorts of different input/output pump combinations and nothing made it improve to any great degree. With 4 of them I tried out slight variations from one to the other and compared the control panels but they all behaved the same way. I tried the YI pipes, iron pipes, pumps, no pumps - all sorts. I tried putting the YI generators back because you'd increased the output a bit but they did the same too.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to get the game to somehow run at a different than screen resolution? The game keeps getting stuck for seconds at a time on my chomebook, and zooming out makes the fps trash on lowest settings, both I imagine due to the high resolution screen. Playing in a window that's a quarter of the screen, the game runs great even at max graphics settings, though.

But, the window is then absolutely tiny and the game feels claustrophobic.

I know 0.12 ran way better, but I have no idea why.

e: Apparently the intel driver I had installed didn't like factorio in particular, all versions ran like poo poo. After updating it it works fine again even on highest settings :shrug:

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 4, 2016

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
I was perpetually short on red circuits during its building, but I sent my first rocket into space! :banjo:

Much joy was experienced, it's a really good game.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

Chev posted:

I was perpetually short on red circuits during its building, but I sent my first rocket into space! :banjo:

Only one rocket?

You should launch at least one a minute. Maybe more.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Chev posted:

Did you remember to put a satellite in it?

Edit: I hate this fucker:

Him: "It's better, but still seems glitched to me. Crafting suddenly pops from current progress to basically 0 when a reactor is not under load. That's free energy if you somehow time it right."
Me: "The reactor recipes (fission and breeder) should last 10 seconds, not 120. I'm curious as to why yours haven't automatically updated."
Him: "Since I migrated from Nucular I forked version 1.1.1.
I wrote a migration script to rename items, added Nucular's weapons and steam turbine. I also made your reactor interfaces report their inventories so I can only make them craft on demand."

Thanks for telling me before I wasted time looking for a bug that only exists in your broke-rear end "tweaked" version, you shitwit.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 5, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

Thanks for telling me before I wasted time looking for a bug that only exists in your broke-rear end "tweaked" version, you shitwit.

I read that on the forums and laughed. That Optera guy has popped up (or pooped up?) in other threads talking bollocks. That's if you needed any other hints besides the MLP avatar he/she/it uses. There's a number of MLP/furry/anime avatar users on the official forums and oddly enough a large percentage are shitlords. It's almost like there's a correlation there somewhere. If mexmer pays you a visit you're in for a treat.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I feel I should also point out that best as I can tell, the code he posted does nothing but make crafting time proceed at a constant 2x the listed rate, no matter reactor load.

CRAFTING_INCREMENT is the per-update change at the default crafting speed, and he's comparing it to the difference in crafting progress between this update and last (multiplied by throttle as a fraction of 1), and taking the maximum of those two, which should always be CRAFTING_INCREMENT.

GotLag fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 5, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

FactorioBot posted:

• Changes
    • The /config command now operates through /config get and /config set.
    • Added additional options to the /config comand: allow-commands, max-upload-speed, autosave-interval, afk-auto-kick, verify-user-identity, only-admins-can-pause, ignore-player-limit-for-returning-players.
    • Added tab-complete parameters logic to the commands: config, color, and help.
    • Updated Team production challenge with 2 new challenge modes and a new map set.
    • Reconnecting to multiplayer game that the player already is in (being dropped probably) instantly closes the previous connection and connects the player.

• Optimizations

• Bugfixes

• Scripting
    • Added read property LuaEntity::has_direction.
    • Added LuaTile::hidden_tile.
    • Added the ability to use LuaSurface::get_tile(0, 0) or LuaSurface::get_tile({0, 0}) when getting tiles.
    • Added LuaGameScript::connected_players read and LuaForce::connected_players read.

• Modding
    • Added check that the selection box contains the [0, 0] point.

Nice RCON additions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Is there a mod or something that lets you designate a mass replacement of something via construction bots? I want to replace all the old yellow belts I have lying around with red ones and doing it completely manually is a pain in the rear end.