Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crabtree posted:

Personally I'd like Shigaraki to die and let someone else take over as heir apparent, preferably someone with a chip on their shoulder about Quirks, Heroes and Villains and just wants normal people only. Be a good threat to Deku and the entire academy's collective dream. But that's just my dumb idea.

That is the dumbest idea, when 99.9% of the population has quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's also why All Might wants to project an image of being a natural born hero, instead of inheriting his power. If All Might is just some dude with a Quirk like everyone else, then anybody could be All Might. It inspires people to achieve greatness and be heroic and so on. If people know that All Might is in fact a total (inheritable) one off it turns him into an elite, separate from the rest of hero society completely. No one can ever be as good as All Might, so you shouldn't even try. Or at least, it could be spun that way.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also as 14a gets passed on it'll just get stronger and stronger. A few more generations and it'll make the bearer literally Saitama.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Crabtree posted:

Personally I'd like Shigaraki to die and let someone else take over as heir apparent, preferably someone with a chip on their shoulder about Quirks, Heroes and Villains and just wants normal people only. Be a good threat to Deku and the entire academy's collective dream. But that's just my dumb idea.

Already said this is dumb, but you could spin this another way to make it sorta interesting - a villain who wants to free up use of quirks for everyone. gently caress needing a hero license to use your Quirk for things, you're born with these powers so you can use them for whatever [legal] things.

Since as is in universe any use of quirks is illegal for non heroes, be it for commuting, for work, etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Serious Frolicking posted:

An end to people with quirks would be an end to humanity. Quirks have been the status quo for longer than anyone has been alive. Even a41 was born after quirks first appeared. Basically, that is indeed a real dumb idea.

Yeah, that idea would only work if their society was one where some significant minority of people don't have quirks, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the world of MHA. There just are't enough people to rally behind the idea that quirks should disappear.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

KittyEmpress posted:

Already said this is dumb, but you could spin this another way to make it sorta interesting - a villain who wants to free up use of quirks for everyone. gently caress needing a hero license to use your Quirk for things, you're born with these powers so you can use them for whatever [legal] things.

Since as is in universe any use of quirks is illegal for non heroes, be it for commuting, for work, etc.

Well, not completely illegal, but you need to get a license or something because it's heavily regulated. Even setting aside things like Yaoyorozu's ability to destabilize the economy if she so chooses, people without relevant quirks just can't compete with people with them in many areas.

But yeah, it could be interesting. The logic is easy to follow; people are having their full potential stifled and society isn't advancing as much as it could if people could use their powers as needed. Have the people with super strength or powers like Uraraka's and such build things in record time and with incredible ease, someone like Yaoyorozu just make whatever is needed for herself/her job/anything, and so on. Of course, it's really easy to see how this would go horribly wrong, too, but this is the philosophy for a potential extremist villain. It's kind of like Stain, in that there's a legitimate point in there but overall the view and methods behind it are too extreme.

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, that idea would only work if their society was one where some significant minority of people don't have quirks, but that doesn't seem to be the case in the world of MHA. There just are't enough people to rally behind the idea that quirks should disappear.

Well, in an early chapter the number given was 80% or so of people have quirks, so assuming that's right and we're just not seeing all the non-Deku (or All Might) quirkless people, there is a sizable number of people without quirks, but, given the regulations above, that's not a huge deal outside of their general inability to get into heroics. Heck, that's probably a major reason for said regulations.

As for Shigaraki dying, I doubt it. Now that All Might knows his true identity, he's probably going to either try to redeem him or, since he's probably not going to live/be capable of fighting long enough to do so himself, tell Deku about his identity and ask him to do that for him. He's a victim of All For One's like everyone else; AFO took him as a kid to use him as a tool against All Might and to destroy the current society with, manipulating him and grooming him into a successor and/or a weapon. That, plus things like Deku's need to save people and Nana's speech in the flashback this last chapter, have me think that "rescuing" Shigaraki (or trying to) is going to be either the endgame or, if he winds up not being the final villain, at least a big moment in the series.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 30, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Have they gone into detail about restrictions on quirk use? Because I feel like that might have been a translation issue or something, because "nobody is really allowed to use quirks for much" isn't really compatible with the quirk-adoring society we see.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Fabricated posted:

Also as 14a gets passed on it'll just get stronger and stronger. A few more generations and it'll make the bearer literally Saitama.
There's probably gonna be a point where it's almost impossible to pass on because the new user's first try will tear their body apart. At some point even activating 0.1% of its power will do that. So I guess, eventually, 14a's legacy will have to be put to bed.

There's actually a lot of good ending points that can be made off that, but I doubt the epilogue of this story is gonna care to go that far.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

Have they gone into detail about restrictions on quirk use? Because I feel like that might have been a translation issue or something, because "nobody is really allowed to use quirks for much" isn't really compatible with the quirk-adoring society we see.

Off the top of my head I can't remember specifics on the limitations, but Uraraka wanted to get a license or something to help her parents at their work before they told her not to dedicate her life to helping them. Likewise, Yaoyorozu mentioned she can't just make anything she wants.

People in this society adore heroes, not quirks. Quirks are things that can let people be heroes, but the fascination everyone has is with the heroes themselves.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 30, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Off the top of my head I can't remember specifics, but Uraraka wanted to get a license or something to help her parents at their work before they told her not to dedicate her life to helping them. Likewise, Yaoyorozu mentioned she can't just make anything she wants.

People in this society adore heroes, not quirks. Quirks are things that can let people be heroes, but the fascination everyone has is with the heroes themselves.

Yaoyorozu cannot make living things is I think her only hard restriction. I assume she is also limited by mass or some similar capacity limit. I think she could in principle make commercial products and counterfeit stuff, but as she is a hero she does not want to tank the economy.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

Yaoyorozu cannot make living things is I think her only hard restriction. I assume she is also limited by mass or some similar capacity limit. I think she could in principle make commercial products and counterfeit stuff, but as she is a hero she does not want to tank the economy.

No, I don't mean as limitations of her power, that's a completely different discussion. Legally, she can't just make whatever she wants for non-school/heroics purposes; she'd get in massive trouble if she were found doing that, as I understand it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Roland Jones posted:

No, I don't mean as limitations of her power, that's a completely different discussion. Legally, she can't just make whatever she wants for non-school/heroics purposes; she'd get in massive trouble if she were found doing that, as I understand it.

I'm pretty sure Yaoyozoru not wanting to make anything she needed was a one-off joke about how she wanted to try shopping at the shopping center instead of just making the clothing she needed since she's a sheltered rich girl. Her counterfeiting a shitload of money or precious metals with her power would be against normal laws without having to make special quirk restriction laws.

I don't recall them saying "people aren't allowed to use their quirks much" beyond school testing still being based on normal people standards so kids aren't allowed to use quirks to assist themselves in PE, because how the gently caress do you test all kids to a fair standard if some people have super strength and some people can teleport or whatever. A society built entirely around people having quirks where the quirkless are a pitied minority would make absolutely zero sense if quirk usage wasn't a regular part of daily life for the general populace. The restrictions probably boil down to common sense stuff like not using super strength to bust down walls instead of walking through doors and poo poo.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Twiddy posted:

There's probably gonna be a point where it's almost impossible to pass on because the new user's first try will tear their body apart. At some point even activating 0.1% of its power will do that. So I guess, eventually, 14a's legacy will have to be put to bed.

That's when you give it to a guy like Kirishima.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
https://twitter.com/tuyoki/status/737069012761382914

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kanos posted:

I'm pretty sure Yaoyozoru not wanting to make anything she needed was a one-off joke about how she wanted to try shopping at the shopping center instead of just making the clothing she needed since she's a sheltered rich girl. Her counterfeiting a shitload of money or precious metals with her power would be against normal laws without having to make special quirk restriction laws.

I don't recall them saying "people aren't allowed to use their quirks much" beyond school testing still being based on normal people standards so kids aren't allowed to use quirks to assist themselves in PE, because how the gently caress do you test all kids to a fair standard if some people have super strength and some people can teleport or whatever. A society built entirely around people having quirks where the quirkless are a pitied minority would make absolutely zero sense if quirk usage wasn't a regular part of daily life for the general populace. The restrictions probably boil down to common sense stuff like not using super strength to bust down walls instead of walking through doors and poo poo.

In the discussion about her goals it's outright stated that Uraraka would need permission to use her quirk anywhere. It's also been stated elsewhere that quirk use is heavily regulated, but I can't remember exactly where it was said and don't feel like rereading the whole series again to find it. It was explicitly stated, though.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Roland Jones posted:

In the discussion about her goals it's outright stated that Uraraka would need permission to use her quirk anywhere. It's also been stated elsewhere that quirk use is heavily regulated, but I can't remember exactly where it was said and don't feel like rereading the whole series again to find it. It was explicitly stated, though.

It was stated in the newest episode, so the beginning of USJ.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CaptianKatsura posted:

It was stated in the newest episode, so the beginning of USJ.

Ah right, yeah, No. 13 mentions it, thanks. I think it was also stated elsewhere, possibly when Deku was describing society and one or two other places, but No. 13 explicitly talks about the regulation and lawful use of quirks due to how potentially dangerous they are and such.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's mentioned by No. 13 [you have to be a hero to use your quirk to do what he does, which is mostly 'clear debris'], it's mentioned in the first chapter/episode [The villain Giant Woman is fighting, apparently, was running late for work and trying to use his power to get to work faster or something], and I'm pretty sure it comes up at least one or two other times. Specifically it comes up that in society you are not supposed to freely use your powers like Ochako's, since if you did then you would beat every competitor for it.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
First villain was just a purse-snatcher who went huge because he got cornered and didn't want to give up, iirc

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

A Bystander posted:

First villain was just a purse-snatcher who went huge because he got cornered and didn't want to give up, iirc
This.

Uuuh, you mean Mount Lady?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Ah right, yeah, No. 13 mentions it, thanks. I think it was also stated elsewhere, possibly when Deku was describing society and one or two other places, but No. 13 explicitly talks about the regulation and lawful use of quirks due to how potentially dangerous they are and such.

A Bystander posted:

The first chapter specifically mentions that no quirk use is allowed during commuting hours, which is a separate thing from the purse snatcher. The other regulations have only indirectly been mentioned so we don't know the hard rules, but there is a lot we can infer from various workings of the world.

Yaoyorozu's rule is stated like a personal credo, but I would imagine it's something that's been very strongly impressed upon her as she could very easily destroy any economy.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

KittyEmpress posted:

It's mentioned by No. 13 [you have to be a hero to use your quirk to do what he does, which is mostly 'clear debris'], it's mentioned in the first chapter/episode [The villain Giant Woman is fighting, apparently, was running late for work and trying to use his power to get to work faster or something], and I'm pretty sure it comes up at least one or two other times. Specifically it comes up that in society you are not supposed to freely use your powers like Ochako's, since if you did then you would beat every competitor for it.
The funny part is that this is clearly optimal from a societal output standpoint. We can assume that there was a very clear and relevant debate between a rational allocation of jobs to quirks and freedom of choice, some sort of equality, and an appeal to family legacy. Clearly the former lost, although its hard to fight against that natural progression in a quirk based society.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

This.

Uuuh, you mean Mount Lady?

Oh god, don't shorten the name of Mountain Lady

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Oh god, don't shorten the name of Mountain Lady

Her hero name is Mount Lady.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

(Source)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I figure that people need to get licenses to do certain kinds of work because having amateurs wave their quirks around is dangerous. If Uraraka wants to work in construction then she has to be trained and tested for that first because she could easily wreck any construction site. I suspect that there are a bunch of trade schools for that purpose, but as this is a story about heroes we mostly see the trade school for heroes.

No quirks while commuting is probably also for safety reasons. People get in enough trouble just driving cars, so if you add in all the potential variables and distractions from self-powered transportation it would likely greatly increase the number of accidents.

Though really, the reason why quirk use is regulated is because Horikoshi doesn't want to make up quirks for every single passersby. They don't get involved because they either have lovely quirks or are not licensed to use them publicly. Problem solved!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Genocyber posted:

Her hero name is Mount Lady.

Well, spoken is "Mount Lady", written should probably be Mt. Lady.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Roland Jones posted:

Well, in an early chapter the number given was 80% or so of people have quirks, so assuming that's right and we're just not seeing all the non-Deku (or All Might) quirkless people, there is a sizable number of people without quirks, but, given the regulations above, that's not a huge deal outside of their general inability to get into heroics. Heck, that's probably a major reason for said regulations.

Yeah, but I think that most of those 20% are older people and that the percent of people with quirks has increased in every successive generation, so there are probably very, very few quirkless teens and young adults. It's clear from what we heard about Deku that him not having a quirk was really rare, so it's certainly not something that affects 20% of kids.

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

if deku had kids (gl duder) would they inherit parts of One for All through genetics?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I've been rereading this series because it owns, and looking back at the post-Stain period, when we get previews of the next group of villains, we see a spiky Bowser dude:
http://bato.to/reader#1bae999c83c1e12b_22

The only one that didn't get introduced with the training camp assault. Curious to see him join the fray

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I guess he'll be joining with the next recruitment wave. He does seem oddly inhuman what with the hanging out naked in the woods. I can't think of another mutation type that doesn't at least attempt to wear clothes. Even the slime guy had pants before he went into the sewer.

That page also what makes me think we'll see gas kid again. Both Toga and Dabi have received a fair amount of focus, and a prison break seems pretty inevitable at some point.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Astro Ambulance posted:

if deku had kids (gl duder) would they inherit parts of One for All through genetics?

Only if he wanted them to.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

LostRook posted:

I guess he'll be joining with the next recruitment wave. He does seem oddly inhuman what with the hanging out naked in the woods. I can't think of another mutation type that doesn't at least attempt to wear clothes. Even the slime guy had pants before he went into the sewer.

That page also what makes me think we'll see gas kid again. Both Toga and Dabi have received a fair amount of focus, and a prison break seems pretty inevitable at some point.

All the young villains got teleported away by AfO, didn't they? I thought they were all with Shigaraki, even the ones who were knocked out.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Gas kid was knocked out at the forest training place and captured

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well, spoken is "Mount Lady", written should probably be Mt. Lady.
I'd mount lady if you catch my drift

Butt Ghost fucked around with this message at 04:36 on May 31, 2016

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Butt Ghost posted:

I'd mount lady if you catch my drift

:thejoke:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Aurora posted:

Gas kid was knocked out at the forest training place and captured

According to the databook, he goes by Mustard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Astro Ambulance posted:

If this were true then the kids of other All For One holders would have passed on parts of it to their kids. If Deku has kids they either get all their quirk from their mom, or Deku has one of those quirks that are unnoticed like the first bearer of All For One.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Gyges posted:

If this were true then the kids of other All For One holders would have passed on parts of it to their kids. If Deku has kids they either get all their quirk from their mom, or Deku has one of those quirks that are unnoticed like the first bearer of All For One.

That must be a fun alternate timeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Or maybe they'll get one of Deku's parent's quirks.