Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

May the Sacred Flame shine forth!

Why the actual Hell is Ex Aid so Good :allears: :munch:
Edit: Also Kiriya CONTINUING BEING THE MOST COMPETENT MEMBER OF THE PARTY :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's a Kamen Rider game so it'll be mediocre at best but I did enjoy the Climax Heroes series as mindless as it was. This seems to take a step forward from Super and go full 2vs2 3D battle, which is the obvious step upwards there so I'm less surprised by that than by its existence.

I'm just glad Ex-Aid Maximum Gamer Lv99 is playable because that is ridiculous.

M.Matsuda posted:

Why the actual Hell is Ex Aid so Good :allears: :munch:

Single writer working on the entire series thus stopping random filler episodes written by people with less knowledge of the cast from happening, said writer being very competent at his job, no fear in being utterly goofy yet extremely serious at the same time without a hint of irony, actors that can sell what they're feeling, and a plot that isn't afraid of taking risks and constantly moving the story instead of focusing on a few plot points that can't last for over 40 episodes and thus maintaining a constant, boring status quo. And of course, Shin Dan Kuroto God.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Single writer working on the entire series thus stopping random filler episodes written by people with less knowledge of the cast from happening, said writer being very competent at his job, no fear in being utterly goofy yet extremely serious at the same time without a hint of irony, actors that can sell what they're feeling, and a plot that isn't afraid of taking risks and constantly moving the story instead of focusing on a few plot points that can't last for over 40 episodes and thus maintaining a constant, boring status quo. And of course, Shin Dan Kuroto God.

this neeeds to also be the EX-Aid blurb. :allears:
And Kuroto went from 50 lives to FIVE. Kiriya's not messing around :allears:
Edit: WHAT! SHIN KUROTO DAN IS EVOLVING! SHIN KUROTO EVOLVED INTO DEUS KUROTO! :toot: :allears:
Edit: And i see that Ex Aid is going to continue being Mario Kirby, and become Dr.Mario Kirby :allears:
Edit: AND THEN HE GAVE KUROTO TO THE COPS :allears:
Edit: AWWWW :kimchi:
Edit: AND MORE TEAM WORK :allears: :swoon:
Edit: and then Masamune went :ssj:
Edit: oh my loving god. IT'S GOING FULL JOJO :swoon:
Edit: :siren: BONUS BOSS, BONUS BOSS!! :siren:
Edit: And then Kiriya become the Second Dr.Kujo i've seen in a thing. and he Still won't wear a jacket normally :allears:
Edit: And then Kuroto went to the name rater and changed his name to GOD. :allears: This loving Show
Edit: Episode 43. GOOO.

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Sep 3, 2017

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

M.Matsuda posted:

And Kuroto went from 50 lives to FIVE. Kiriya's not messing around :allears:

He was in the low 80s after overworking himself seven or eight times.

You also have to appreciate the seeming unnecessary death from the motorcycle attack, and how Dan just welcomes it. And then spares Kiriya from dying again by absorbing the virus.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 3, 2017

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

He was in the low 80s after overworking himself seven or eight times.

You also have to appreciate the seeming unnecessary death from the motorcycle attack, and how Dan just welcomes it. And then spares Kiriya from dying again by absorbing the virus.

Yeah, but during the episode Kiriya beat him down to 50, and then when we came back to him he was at five and that's where i was counting from.
Edit:(and yeah saving Kiriya from dying again was really nice too)

Edit: OH poo poo NOT KIRIYA. NOT AGAIN
Edit: I like how Masamune's gained a booming echo to his voice now. it's cool. as is the upgraded suit. (And i have to wonder how EX-aid did with the children of japan)
Edit: Oh poo poo he took Nico. :allears: :munch:
Edit: I am so blueballed that Nico's not gonna become a Second Chronus (I know Why and all that but drat it would've been cool). :allears:
Edit: oh my god. I am Absolutely okay with this :allears:
Edit: Somewhere Takeshi Hongo is pissed.
Edit: and hot drat is this dramatic :munch:
Edit: :hellyeah: :swoon:
Edit: Goddamn this is Dramatic :cry:
Edit: Kuroto Status: the best :allears:
Edit: Either way. IT'S TIME FOR FRIENDSHIP
Edit: Team Treatment :allears: Are they all FINALLY, FINALLY going to figure out Co-Op
Edit: And they gave him his coat. :allears:
Edit: Ex-Aid. YOU HAVE INSERT SONGS. USE THEM. but Man if i don't love a group Henshin :swoon:
Edit: This is So goddamn Anime i can't believe it's live action :swoon:
Edit: DAMNIT HE HAS MULTIPLE FORMS/HEALTH BARS
Edit: :suspense: Now That's a final boss
Edit: Episode 44. :suspense:
Edit: WHAT A DICK :argh:
Edit: BUILD! :siren:
Edit: Please be Good Build. :pray:
Edit: Bye Build :wave: :allears: Please be Good
Edit: Poor Emu. and thank God Inoue didn't work on this show.
Edit: god damnit. this is getting to me :(
Edit: How Persona
Edit: I love this show. LEVEL 1 RETURNS BEST CHEKOV'S GUN
Edit: This is Godamned Amazing
Edit: OH poo poo
Edit:A FIVE WAY FINISHER. I LOVE THIS SHOW SO MUCH.
Edit: Press X to pay respect. ..Oh Parad. :( .
Edit: DAMNIT MASAMUNE Where's the drat ambulence when you need it

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 3, 2017

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Alright new post. Time for the final episode of Ex Aid. I'm going to miss these idiots :qq:
Edit: And No OP for this ep.
Edit:Aw yeah Final Boss battle Motive lines. -and welp way to go guys :allears:
Edit: AND THEN EMU TRIED TO FIND MASAMUNE. UNHENSHIN'd :allears:
Edit:And we not only go for the JoJo timestop effect. He also changed it too nightime A+ :allears: :munch:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 3, 2017

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

Craptacular! posted:

So, before I get my hopes up, is KR often like that? My plan at the moment is Amazons next, followed by W, then some combination of OOO/Ryuki/Blade/Gaim.

I can vouch for Blade having that "something always happening" quality. There are very few episodes that spin their wheels and go nowhere. There is always something advancing, and I found it a very compelling watch when I was binging through it. Turn-Up Scrubs did a good job on getting it watchable and coherent, too. And thank goodness for that, Blade is my favorite Rider season and I'm glad there's a half-decent version to point people at now.

Gaim spends more time loving off with stupid stuff than it should, and OOO has a period in the middle that's really not all that important in advancing the greater plot. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but OOOs plot actually wound up changed from initial plans because Ankh turned out more popular than expected?)

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

:suspense: OH MY GOD IT REALLY IS TIME TO GO JOJO :swoon: :perfect: :hellyeah:
Edit: Uuuuh Taiga. pretty sure Kiriya's a Bugster too
Edit: And another Super Pretty Group Henshin :allears: :swoon: :hellyeah:
Edit: Not only that but to the LEVEL 2 FORMS. AND WHILE EXCITE PLAYS :swoon: :perfect: :hellyeah:
Edit: AND DOING THE POSES FROM THE OP.
Edit: they did it. THEY FINALLY LEARNED CO-OP :qq:
Edit: Oh my loving God Kuroto :perfect: :allears:
Edit: sooo what was stopping one of them from kicking Masamune in the hand and Taking the gashat from him?

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 3, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

M.Matsuda posted:

Edit: Oh my loving God Kuroto :perfect: :allears:

In the end, this is the truly greatest thing of Ex-Aid. This is the perfect description of what makes the series work.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

gently caress YOU MASAMUNE :fuckoff:
Time for the epiloge, And the journey to the True End.
Edit: :unsmith: this epilogue

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

M.Matsuda posted:

Edit: sooo what was stopping one of them from kicking Masamune in the hand and Taking the gashat from him?

The last time somebody did that, Kiriya died.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Craptacular! posted:

The last time somebody did that, Kiriya died.

than clearly Kuroto should have done it this time. besides i only said Take it from him. i didn't say Use it.
Edit: Taiga got his medical liscense back. now he is no longer a Licenseless rider :allears: :getin:
Edit: she Bought Majority stock in Gemn :allears:
Edit: Ooh Emu gets to give a speech

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 3, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FeatherFloat posted:

I can vouch for Blade having that "something always happening" quality. There are very few episodes that spin their wheels and go nowhere. There is always something advancing, and I found it a very compelling watch when I was binging through it. Turn-Up Scrubs did a good job on getting it watchable and coherent, too. And thank goodness for that, Blade is my favorite Rider season and I'm glad there's a half-decent version to point people at now.

Gaim spends more time loving off with stupid stuff than it should, and OOO has a period in the middle that's really not all that important in advancing the greater plot. (Correct me if I'm wrong, guys, but OOOs plot actually wound up changed from initial plans because Ankh turned out more popular than expected?)

OOO had to change its plot because the original story was going to be dark and serious as gently caress, and then the earthquakes happened and no one was in the mood for that.

Like, no one. For good reason.

Date would have died, Ankh and Eiji would have fought to the death, all kinds of fun things. The entire Purple Medal thing would have been different

Also now the Nexus live blogging can begin

Now the Nexus pain train can begin

ALL ABOARD THE TRAGEDY EXPRESS

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

OOO had to change its plot because the original story was going to be dark and serious as gently caress, and then the earthquakes happened and no one was in the mood for that.

Like, no one. For good reason.

Date would have died, Ankh and Eiji would have fought to the death, all kinds of fun things. The entire Purple Medal thing would have been different

Also now the Nexus live blogging can begin

Now the Nexus pain train can begin

ALL ABOARD THE TRAGEDY EXPRESS

:magical: i look foward to emotional sucker punches. (also i am absolutely doing OOO's after)
Edit: this is a good speech Emu :munch: HE'S GROWN SO MUCH :cry:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh don't worry there are no sucker punches

They make sure you know what's going to happen while it's happening.

You just might not realize it until it's happened

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

Oh don't worry there are no sucker punches

They make sure you know what's going to happen while it's happening.

You just might not realize it until it's happened

i look forward to using the :stare: :stonk: and :magical: emotes a lot than
Edit: :cry: NAMING ALL THE VICTIMS :cry:
edit: and Kiriya, and Kuroto :smith:
Edit: but by god they're gonna try to save all of these people :unsmith:
Edit: NICO MADE SURE TSUKURU GOT PROMOTED :allears: :unsmith: BURGERMON!! :cry:
Edit: And his desk has ALL the burgers :unsmith:
Edit: Nico and Taiga :allears: :unsmith:
Edit: and Hiiro's still Cutting cream puffs :allears: dude i think you both might have to stop dating. she's going to be like five years younger than you when she comes back. AT LEAST.
Edit: POPPY :swoon: WAY TO GO KUROTO :allears:
Edit: PARAD! :swoon: :perfect:
Edit: IS THAT A GODDAMN ORCHESTRAL VERSION OF EXCITE PLAYING. GODDAMNIT :cry:
Edit: A BUILD gashat,and i accidently managed to finish EX-Aid On the day Build began :allears:
Edit: .
Edit: and so i finished my first Kamen Rider series. and Holy poo poo what a ride it was. I loved this show, even with it's weaker first 11 episodes, and would absolutely reccomend it. i'll miss all these nerds,and look foward to watching the movies they show up in, here's hoping Yuya Takahashi writes them. Either way for the time being Kamen Rider Ex-Aid: GAME CLEAR!

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 3, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rest easy weary gamer.

Gamer doctor.

Tomorrow you will have more patients to preform video game surgery on

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

Rest easy weary gamer.

Gamer doctor.

Tomorrow you will have more patients to preform video game surgery on

who said i'm stopping. :getin: it's time for Nexus. at least the first episode anyways. :blush:. god i hope i like it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Best of luck!

The first episode, the first episode fucks with you a bit. You'll see why

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

So i'm forced to phone post for now. (Granted i Could just Pause on Cr) Ooh rock music theme. It's a nice song.
Edit: and then a gas station attendent was attacked by a giant CG Slug monster :munch: not the worst effect i've ever seen either.
Edit: the ships showing up had a nice teleport? effect too.

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 3, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Since Cruchyroll doesn't translate it, which eliminates the best part about the theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hip3e4wxzoQ

Here are the lyrics.

The best part to me, the repeated use of "IF YOU'RE A MAN!" and then, near the end, with just as much sincerity "SAME FOR WOMEN!"

Which is very telling for what Nexus does

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

Since Cruchyroll doesn't translate it, which eliminates the best part about the theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hip3e4wxzoQ

Here are the lyrics.

The best part to me, the repeated use of "IF YOU'RE A MAN!" and then, near the end, with just as much sincerity "SAME FOR WOMEN!"

Which is very telling for what Nexus does

thank you for linking the full version and i Do remember (from posts On SA) that near the end a lady gets to be an Ultraman, which sounds awesome

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/SpecialForm12/status/904136524366794752

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

edit: I like how they ask if there were any human casulties and the guy they're asking doesn't even answer. :allears:
Edit: oh hey Forensics it looks like. :munch:
Edit: Not gonna lie. I would would trouble finding people in These: conditions
Edit: And Dramatic Drowning flashback :munch:
Edit: to be fair dude. you couldn`t see poo poo in that weather.
Edit: and we have Komon's super cute gf i assume?:
Edit: And apparently Komon hasn't met her family yet oh boy :stare:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 3, 2017

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Is there a collected series of notes of what Kamen Rider OOO was originally supposed to be? I do recall a couple of notes of W and Fourze's original concepts as well, but never in a format where I could just read them and reference them at any time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That would be her. Riko

She's fantastic. Also really loves painting

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

That would be her. Riko

She's fantastic. Also really loves painting

Indeed. sadly her work is kind of average. (my mom's an artist herself. not famous or anything i'm just used to and like her stuff :blush:)
Edit: I do not trust this man Or his sinister mole:
Edit:And he just had his men Drag Komon inside a van. AND blindfolded him
Edit: Oh boy Komon just woke up on an operating table :munch:
Edit: DUDE THAT WAS NOT HELPFUL OR COMFORTING AT ALL
Edit: AND HE`S BACK TO BE CREEPY AND TALK TO KOMON AGAIN :suspense:
Edit: DUDE YOU KIDNAPPED HIM, AND HAD HIM OPPERATED ON AND NOW YOU WANT HIM TO JOIN A MYSTERIOUS ORGANIZATION. DUDE.
Edit: and he`s having Komon find his own way there with the device he`s giving him :allears:
Edit: Oh and it`s a TOP SECRET Transfer too :allears:
Edit: Riko is still super cute. and far cuter than her BF is. (sorry Komon that haircut does Not work for you) and i don't trust her in spite of her cuteness :argh: WHY DOES SHE HAVE TO BE SO CUTE :negative:
Edit: Drunks on a bus :allears:

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Sep 3, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So you remember how I mentioned Komon was the main character?

I never said he was Ultraman.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

So you remember how I mentioned Komon was the main character?

I never said he was Ultraman.

Sadly i'm aware that he's not. he seems neat though. and i look foward to him growing to become Ultraman. and all the emotional dickpunches he's going to go through :allears:
Edit: and Aw jeeze rip that guy from the bus. While Leather Jacket Mcangst guy runs through the forest.
Edit: Rip Drunks on the bus too
Edit: oh boy. i'm having Twilight flashbacks. (and i've never even seen those movies in full. or read much more than the first few pages of the first book. Bella Swan is terrible even in a Blank Slate sense): (Team Jacob here is probably a nice dude, and does Not deserve to be linked to those movies but until he's named and because i've watched too much MST3k i'm gonna snark a bit) (even while i'm having fun)
Edit: and Komon tries his best to not become a decoy protagonist in favour of Dean Winchester up there. (no i've never watched Supernatural either.)
Edit: poo poo his dramatic drowning flashbacks returned
Edit: Holy poo poo. That is a Great Image.
Edit: And this : is a handsome design.

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 3, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah this is going to be a severe swerve from ExAid in

Every single way I think. Just, all of them.

But it goes to show how flexible the tokusatsu genre is.

For the record, if you wanted to break Nexus down into arcs, the first 'arc' basically lasts the first 12 episodes.

The next is, again, 12 episodes, and again the one after that is 12-ish

The final arc was meant to be 10 to 11 episodes but they got cancelled abruptly so they had to abandon those plans and instead cram it all into one.

Because

TV stations

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh man, M.Matsuda is liveblogging Nexus now? This will be (and is) fun.

I feel sorry for poor Himeya though, he doesn't deserve to be compared to Twilight, he's a good character.

Also, as per usual of my Nexus posts,

Burkion posted:

The final arc was meant to be 10 to 11 episodes but they got cancelled abruptly so they had to abandon those plans and instead cram it all into one.

Because

TV stations

I wish I lived in the world where this did not happen and we got that full arc.

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

Burkion posted:

Yeah this is going to be a severe swerve from ExAid in

Every single way I think. Just, all of them.

But it goes to show how flexible the tokusatsu genre is.

For the record, if you wanted to break Nexus down into arcs, the first 'arc' basically lasts the first 12 episodes.

The next is, again, 12 episodes, and again the one after that is 12-ish

Because

TV stations

Oh this is going to be Magical :allears: (and i am Well aware this is going to be a Massive mood change. I just wanted to use CR rather than my way of grabbing episodes which was a tad slow, and my computer can't hold Everything) (in terms of rider stuff outside of OOO is: Kuuga, Fourze and maybe returning to Gaim And Very Maybe Drive) (i know Kuuga is a deconstruction, but i am Down for that) And thank you for an arc breakdown.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh man, M.Matsuda is liveblogging Nexus now? This will be (and is) fun.

I feel sorry for poor Himeya though, he doesn't deserve to be compared to Twilight, he's a good character.

Also, as per usual of my Nexus posts,

I wish I lived in the world where this did not happen and we got that full arc.

I promise i'll call Himeya by his name and i Did say he didn't deserve being compared to Twilight, or even spn. (i also plan on using "the ninth doctor". -i have a wide variety of interests)

M.Matsuda fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 3, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If we got the final arc the way it was meant to be

Unless something just unforeseen happened like everyone involved had a stroke and became Super Racist Nazi Imperialists

I'd be pretty comfortable calling Nexus as my favorite tokustatsu ever. Sadly, it's just really good with a really "Okay Then" ending.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

FeatherFloat posted:

Yeah, that's something Blade has going for it, and I'm pretty fond of Blade. That said, it has some downright weird filler episodes in the first thirty including the one where Tachibana's co-worker comes back from an accident involving the rouze cards and associated gear as a killer cyborg... wait, that technically happens twice. It's just actually plot relevant the second time. Or the weird episode where the Wolf Undead steals Tachibana's perfect motorcycle and he gets hilariously mad over it. Or the non-filler episode where Tachibana gets high off seaweed. Weird stuff just happens to Tachibana in general, and he's just a weird guy. On a more serious note, I do genuinely dislike the episodes where Blade gets Jack Form stressing he needs another reason to be a Rider than it's his job - I always viewed it being his "job" in the sense that he was the one who had the responsibility to save people, the actual pay was just a perk... and I don't think they're getting paid much since BOARD kinda asploded. I do love the Blade cast, each and every awkwardly overacting or underacting one. :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tachibana makes very poor decisions about... everything, really.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tachibana makes very poor decisions about... everything, really.

To the point when he agrees with everyone else that it's a good idea to leave Hajime unsealed at the end, finally agreeing with Kenzaki and others for once, I knew everything was going to go horribly wrong. :P He's also a living meme in Japan more or less.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000117697

Haha P. Bandai what the christ :suicide:

This poo poo is worth a bluray movie, or a sentai concert seriously

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ignis posted:

http://p-bandai.jp/item/item-1000117697

Haha P. Bandai what the christ :suicide:

This poo poo is worth a bluray movie, or a sentai concert seriously

What, you don't want to own a dirty t-shirt?

e: Build looks cool

https://twitter.com/ApolloGeese/status/904122963523448836

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 3, 2017

M.Matsuda
May 9, 2014

So quick question on The Ultraman franchise in general. So what exactly Are the ultramen (I know they aren't humans, The orginal took over a dude iirc, Ultraseven Disgused himself as Dan, Zero takes over a Salary man in Geed, and that that apparently they can have familes in the Main continuity, Also that The original had a time limit on his powers while Dan didn't iirc)(also are they Always HUUUGE?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

M.Matsuda posted:

So quick question on The Ultraman franchise in general. So what exactly Are the ultramen (I know they aren't humans, The orginal took over a dude iirc, Ultraseven Disgused himself as Dan, Zero takes over a Salary man in Geed, and that that apparently they can have familes in the Main continuity, Also that The original had a time limit on his powers while Dan didn't iirc)(also are they Always HUUUGE?)

Okay so here's the deal. It depends on which Ultraman you're referring to.

In the Main Universe and its offshoots, Ultramen are basically just aliens. Like, imagine if Kryptonians were even more alien and super powered than they are in the DCU. They can become pure energy if they want, but otherwise they're flesh and blood aliens with loads of weird and cool powers. Millions of years ago, they used to be human looking beings, but their sun died. So they created an artificial star that mutated them into the Beings of Light that they are now.

UltraSeven is different from the others for two reasons. One is the out of universe reason, namely, he was never supposed to be an Ultraman. His series had nothing to do with Ultraman, no continuity to it, and the one member of his species we saw looked more like him and not like others. In 1971, in honor of Tsuburaya who had passed the year before Return of Ultraman could be made, they officially made UltraSeven an Ultraman due to him being Tsuburaya's favorite and his favorite production.

IN Universe, UltraSeven was not part of the Space Garrison. The Land of Light have a few jobs and stuff you can do. Silver Cross are medical people and healers, then you have the scientists, and the Space Garrison who basically act like the Green Lanterns only not as lovely. They go around the universe combating evil and saving planets.

UltraSeven was never part of them to begin with. He was just a cartographer, making detailed maps of different solar systems. He happened to come across Earth while making a map of the planet, found a hiker in distress, and then noticed that there was a lot of bad poo poo going on and decided to help out.

This is part of the reason why Seven is my favorite Ultra hero, for the record. He's not a cop like the original and the ones after- he's just some guy who decided to help because he saw how innately good the human race could be.

Because UltraSeven was meant to travel the universe without a traveling device like Ultraman, for map making purposes and what not, he has a different kind of armor that constantly feeds him solar energy and keeps him in tip top shape. That's why he doesn't have a color timer or a time limit.

After the main universe, it gets a little trickier.

Orb was a human-like alien who obtained great power and used it to fight.

Ginga is some loving thing that I am not going to go into.

Cosmos is more like the mainline Ultras, an alien being bonded with a human.

X is explicitly like them, though he's also from a completely unrelated universe, and the way he bonds with humans is entirely different.

Tiga and Dyna are both reincarnations of what amounts of Lovecraftian horrors that turned on their fellows and decided to protect the universe instead.

Gaia is just a human who inherited the power of the Earth to save it.

Nexus...well you'll see.

For size, Ultras are naturally giant sized after their mutation in the main universe. Some, however, most notably UltraSeven, can alter their size at will. UltraSeven has grown to the microscopic level at one point to fight an alien virus because it was the 1960s.

Fighting at human size typically isn't something that happens too often, most of the examples are from Seven, but it is a thing that comes up once in a while.

EDIT: Also it should be known

As of the Mebius time line, and TFR if you're reading this this is important for you, none of the Ultras that originally bonded with a human host still have that human host.

Their hosts have moved on. They do assume human forms that look like them though, for sentimental reasons.

Burkion fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 3, 2017

• Locked thread