Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

MightyPretenders posted:

I wonder what that stage will look like when it's translated. Without being able to read, it looks like:

"Those new arrivals are being attacked by golems."
OG: "Well, we can't let that happen. But they're mindless automatons and no one could expect people being pulled into this world at this exact place and time. It's probably an accident."
Masked Superior: "It's not an accident. Time for you and your alien friends to die, traitor."
OG: "Wait, you were actually evil? I was feeling unfulfilled, but had no idea this was going on."
Masked Superior: *starts losing* "Well, that's what I get for using this cheap AW. Time to exit stage right."
OG: "Oh screw that! *pulls new move out of nowhere, tearing off mask* You! ...Should I be surprised by this?"
Other OG: "No, but they should be."

It doesn't have the same wow factor V did, but I'm seeing a lot of neat character scenes - especially with Wataru.

I don't know what kind of response you were expecting for a take like "this game's plot isn't very good if you ignore all the words" but you can take comfort in the knowledge that every single thing you said is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wussed out and restarted in Beginner Mode with Moon Dwellers because the SR points were too difficult.

I’m so ashamed. :negative:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Caphi posted:

I don't know what kind of response you were expecting for a take like "this game's plot isn't very good if you ignore all the words" but you can take comfort in the knowledge that every single thing you said is wrong.

If you thought for a moment that "this game's plot isn't very good" was anywhere in that, then it's not my reading ability we should be worried about.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

MightyPretenders posted:

It doesn't have the same wow factor V did, but I'm seeing a lot of neat character scenes - especially with Wataru.

I'm really curious about how Wataru is handled in this game. I heard that there's a tie in with the beastmen from Gurren Lagaan. I grew up in Machine Euyden Wataru and I love to the plucky sidekicks and their antics.

I'm hoping for more liberties with storylines because it plays up the crossover element other then super robots fighting real grunts, lol. I was surprised at the Evangelion mission in Alpha3 where Gendo decides "gently caress it! I'll fullfil the profacy myself!" and Shinji actually says no to his dad. And you end up with Gendo in a clone Unit 1 plus Clone Eva army vs. Shinji and his Super Robot aniki's. Also the Gunbuster ending getting changed because they're not alone in their fight. Stuff like that makes me super happy to play SRW games. Also everything involving Bontakun.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There's a lot of series melding going on in this leg of the game. It's pretty good. The bad guys are teaming up pretty much every stage, so heroes are trading villains and pep talking each other up constantly. And I have no idea what this Wataru thing that involved Buddy Complex was meant to be originally.

The N-Nautilus seems like it's going to be an extremely ace-class ship.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok but can we just kill him instead?
I think you'll most likely have to settle for his recruitment possibly being the result of Char just walking up to Glemy's face and dunking on him for an entire stage. Or the whole process of recruiting Glemy will boil down to "make sure Char/Amuro/Judau/Roux/Haman/et. al dunks on this punk-rear end bitch every time you get a chance." The comedy option is naturally Beecha, of course.

Also, have some Klim Nick.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I think you'll most likely have to settle for his recruitment possibly being the result of Char just walking up to Glemy's face and dunking on him for an entire stage. Or the whole process of recruiting Glemy will boil down to "make sure Char/Amuro/Judau/Roux/Haman/et. al dunks on this punk-rear end bitch every time you get a chance." The comedy option is naturally Beecha, of course.

Ok, but does he have the Genius trait?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

While I am quite a fan of both the Dahack and Trinity, it is incredibly hosed up that neither the Montero nor the Hecate are in the game.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ok, but does he have the Genius trait?

Yes!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

:allears:

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.
I'm just gonna put this here as another example of "Everyone can join except Cima"... I mean, unless Mask is actually a pretty nice guy, but given he's a Char not named Harry Ord or Schwartz Bruder, I doubt that.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Inferno-sama posted:

I'm just gonna put this here as another example of "Everyone can join except Cima"... I mean, unless Mask is actually a pretty nice guy, but given he's a Char not named Harry Ord or Schwartz Bruder, I doubt that.

He is.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Tusk I think is meant to be two things. First is a vehicle to upset the people who think like Embryo in some way by being just about everything they could hate to the point Embryo thinks that Tusk is the one he has to fight and utterly fails to realise Ange's strength (therefore reinforcing the mockery). The second is sort of to show that even out of love you can unwittingly be trying to force someone to be something they're not. He talks about being her "knight" and stuff like that, but really Ange wants to be firmly in control of her own destiny so it never really sits quite right (especially for the viewer), but he cares enough about her that she gets her way in the end.

Cause in the end I think that's what Cross Ange is really all about isn't it? It's about Ange trying to find herself amidst a bunch of systems and people that are trying to reduce her to what they think she should be for their own convenience, and upon learning who she really is (not a nice person) Ange fights to stay true to herself in order to truly live.

this kind of undercuts something i've recently realized, and it's this: despite everything wrong with Cross Ange and its utterly overdoing shock factor to the point where half of the internet pretty much denounced it immediately, and every other totally legitimate criticism about how things went too far

the fact that it has themes like this around Ange and Tusk and interactions that reinforce it actually pretty much pushes it very likely to one the top 10 mecha anime this decade. Not necessarily because that's some great virtue, but like. Uh, we've gotten a ton of stuff just...devoid, of anything, and almost universally the big smash hit sequels turned out to be awful so this has been just, a really rough set of years for robots.

like uh. okay, we seriously need to see if we can come up with more than 9 mecha shows in the 2010s that had a better executed story than Cross Ange. IBO, Kuromukuro, ID-0, Gargantia, maybe Lagrange...already I'm reaching for the much messier ones like Reconguista and Sidonia and I still need two more.

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Gyra_Solune posted:

this kind of undercuts something i've recently realized, and it's this: despite everything wrong with Cross Ange and its utterly overdoing shock factor to the point where half of the internet pretty much denounced it immediately, and every other totally legitimate criticism about how things went too far

the fact that it has themes like this around Ange and Tusk and interactions that reinforce it actually pretty much pushes it very likely to one the top 10 mecha anime this decade. Not necessarily because that's some great virtue, but like. Uh, we've gotten a ton of stuff just...devoid, of anything, and almost universally the big smash hit sequels turned out to be awful so this has been just, a really rough set of years for robots.

like uh. okay, we seriously need to see if we can come up with more than 9 mecha shows in the 2010s that had a better executed story than Cross Ange. IBO, Kuromukuro, ID-0, Gargantia, maybe Lagrange...already I'm reaching for the much messier ones like Reconguista and Sidonia and I still need two more.

Gundam Build Fighters. Yeah, I know it's Gunpla and not mecha, but it's still Gundam and a love letter to a mecha franchise, so I think it still counts.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Inferno-sama posted:

Gundam Build Fighters. Yeah, I know it's Gunpla and not mecha, but it's still Gundam and a love letter to a mecha franchise, so I think it still counts.

Yeah I guess I'd count that kinda. I dunno, it just registers in my head as 'a sports anime, but with gundam branding' since its themes and pacing and weight are more like that.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Majestic Prince? But I dunno if that's in the reaching category or not.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Mask's deal in G Reconguista was a bit weird and I don't blame him for what happened. I'm willing to give him a break given he was apparently part of a group of people that used to be eaten and is treated as subhuman sometimes.

That was a really weird and unnecessary plot point honestly.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

We're going to have one of the biggest mech seasons in years this spring, and Trigger's got a couple more in the pipe.

It's unclear the exact crash to burn ratio we'll be working with, but there's a chance some will be at least decent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Gyra_Solune posted:

I only saw some trailers and clips from Lagrange but I expected it to be in the next SRW game at the time but it wasn't. Is there any particular reason why not?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

HiKaizer posted:

Mask's deal in G Reconguista was a bit weird and I don't blame him for what happened. I'm willing to give him a break given he was apparently part of a group of people that used to be eaten and is treated as subhuman sometimes.

That was a really weird and unnecessary plot point honestly.

It makes a bit more sense if you look at it from the over-arching theme of the show, which is a warning against letting people who don't know or understand war push for conflict out of a variety of reasons all of which don't take what they're heading for at all seriously in spite of the fact history clearly tells us of exactly what awaits. In the particular case of Mask and co it's about how a lack of taking this history seriously creates prejudice where there should be guilt or caution, and through reinforcing this prejudice and marginalising the victim you're only going to create hate and a new cycle of conflict that wasn't necessary.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
I was really excited for this game, especially because of the inclusion of Reconguista in G, but having a new game so quickly after SRW V should have been a telltale sign not to get my hopes up too high. The rushed development really shows with how many of the side character mecha were either cut completely or given poor attack variety.

Super Two Attacks Wars X is more like it.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm a little out of the loop here but is X getting a US release or just an English translation?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

In some cases that low number of attack types might just be because they don't have too many attacks in their respective shows anyway.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Do the other Cross Ange pilots get any attacks past the freeze bullet this time?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm a little out of the loop here but is X getting a US release or just an English translation?

Just an English translation. It's on the Singapore Playstation Store though so you don't have to physically import a copy.

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012

TheLastRoboKy posted:

In some cases that low number of attack types might just be because they don't have too many attacks in their respective shows anyway.

Maybe, but it's not like the SRW team is averse to using improvised attacks as separate weapons in their games. I mean, Beam Confuse is a actually its own separate attack in SRW, and a lot of the units that only have two weapons have special or improvised attacks that could be made into its own unique weapon. A lot of the newcomer units in G-Reco are missing the most basic poo poo as well, like the Gytrash's Beam Sabers and Gaeon's funnels.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ryas posted:

I was really excited for this game, especially because of the inclusion of Reconguista in G, but having a new game so quickly after SRW V should have been a telltale sign not to get my hopes up too high. The rushed development really shows with how many of the side character mecha were either cut completely or given poor attack variety.

Super Two Attacks Wars X is more like it.

I mean, this was also true of V for basically all the side Gundam characters. And Maito's supporting cast. And all the non-Ange Cross Ange people (even the ones who got mid-season upgrades).

Hell its true of some main character mechs. Look at Akito's attack list lol, half of it is "the same attack with a different range i guess???"

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
That's not even as bad as "here are two different weapons in the same attack to cut down on effort and time."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

MonsieurChoc posted:

I wussed out and restarted in Beginner Mode with Moon Dwellers because the SR points were too difficult.

I’m so ashamed. :negative:
I wouldn't be, they were all over the place and there's like two you have to manipulate the allied AI. They were not fun SRs.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ryas posted:

I was really excited for this game, especially because of the inclusion of Reconguista in G, but having a new game so quickly after SRW V should have been a telltale sign not to get my hopes up too high.

You know, I see gripes like this that cover the whole spectrum—

"It's come out way too soon after the last game" (SRW games have been on a yearly cycle for decades)
"It's been six months since their last release and they haven't announced anything new yet, is the series dead?" (SRW games typically announce things 3-ish months before release)
"They didn't put in enough characters from X series and made some people into attack animations for other characters"
"They put in too many inconsequential characters from X series and didn't bother giving people more than a couple of attacks"

It feels like there's really no pleasing everybody except by having infinite resources, in this niche series that typically never tops 500,000 units sold.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

chiasaur11 posted:

We're going to have one of the biggest mech seasons in years this spring, and Trigger's got a couple more in the pipe.

It's unclear the exact crash to burn ratio we'll be working with, but there's a chance some will be at least decent.

Word? I know we're getting more FMP, but are there a bunch more?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Bring back the thing from Alpha where every attack was a single weapon action and every weapon was in the attack list, so Combattler V had two pages of close-range free attacks for every bizarre thing it did in one episode that literally nobody ever used because they were all strictly worse than the sword.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 2, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Caphi posted:

Bring back the thing from Alpha where every attack was a single weapon action and every weapon was in the attack list, so Combattler V had two pages of close-range free attacks for every bizarre thing it did in one episode that literally nobody ever used because they were all strictly worse than the sword.

That's true to the show.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm not touching this game until Impatom gives it his blessing :colbert:

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Caphi posted:

Hey, that's not true! I distinctly recall making it a personal challenge of mine to actually kill at least one thing with that range 1, no post movement attack Voltes V had! And I did!

(I also used Great Mazinger's Backspin Kick more times than was likely advisable out of sheer style.)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Do the other Cross Ange pilots get any attacks past the freeze bullet this time?
ange has a few new attacks/different animations but everyone else is exactly the same, near as i can tell. its a shame since vivian is a main character for like 6-7 episodes of cross ange and actually has some cool stuff you could base attacks off of, like turning into a dragon.

maybe they actually gave jill a finisher this time tho

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

Word? I know we're getting more FMP, but are there a bunch more?

Well, some of it's just continuing, but yeah. We've got at least... five mech anime this season?

Gundam Build Divers, which is kinda sports anime and VR, but from the preview it seems to have the battles be more classically styled than usual for the format.

Juushinki Pandora, which might suck on ice

And FMP.

There's also apparently something with transforming trains, if it hasn't been canceled, and more Darling in the Franxx (which has been surprisingly good).

Not tons and tons, but more than usual.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The transforming train things is Shinkalion, which is already airing. It also seems to be catching on with young boys in Japan, so it might actually make an appearance.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

The transforming train things is Shinkalion, which is already airing. It also seems to be catching on with young boys in Japan, so it might actually make an appearance.

Right. I knew it was already airing, just wasn't sure it was continuing this season, since I'd seen reports it was, but it wasn't showing up on the listings of what anime was continuing this season.

Good to know how it's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

Darling in the Franxx (which has been surprisingly good).

haha what

• Locked thread