Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Aramek posted:

Even if we assume Anime is okay (it's not) dubs are vasty superior to subs.

Whether to watch dubs or subs is a case by case basis on the rare occasion that it is an anime worth watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

OK, let's get back to more neutral topics that won't raise emotions.

anime is good

It is! I've occasionally thought about changing my av to something from Tekkonkinkreet but my current one is popular.

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 00:17 on Aug 16, 2017

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry

EmmyOk posted:

It is! I've occasionally thought about changing my av to something from Tekkonkinkreet but my current one is popular.

What is your current one?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Game of Thrones theme song and intro sequence is boring. Felt that way from watching pilot as it aired. Other shows like Six Feet Under, True Blood, and even Dexter have much more interesting intros that pump me up to watch it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

Game of Thrones theme song and intro sequence is boring. Felt that way from watching pilot as it aired. Other shows like Six Feet Under, True Blood, and even Dexter have much more interesting intros that pump me up to watch it.

Bull I'm not even crazy about GoT but that intro is hype as gently caress

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm trying to think what the best live show intro is. I still think best ever if animated stuff is allowed is Cowboy Bebop tbh

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Carnivale. Haunting and cool as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cAWT3CsATc

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm trying to think what the best live show intro is. I still think best ever if animated stuff is allowed is Cowboy Bebop tbh

True Detective is up there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXRkqXfhYM

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What happens when nazis start doxxing BLM folks, or pride participants, or random minorities that they take offense to? Who gets to decide which doxxing and harassment is good and cool? This government? That'll work out.

If it's cool to beat nazis in the street then is it cool to jump anyone if you take offense to their beliefs? What if the nazis start jumping back? Is it cool to beat someone from the radical far left down if I'm a bougie upper middle class type and they're advocating violence towards me?

Nazis suck and we should keep close eyes on their protests because they very much can be accused of inciting violence, in which case, take appropriate countermeasures, but you're an idiot if you think we should encourage vigilante justice.

What about people who look like nazis at a rally, but actual the doxxing is on the wrong person? Hell, what if I decide to doxx some rando I have an issue with by slandering them as a nazi. Do you trust some anonymous 4chan rear end in a top hat to correctly identify the culprits? I don't. Remember that rear end in a top hat libertarian cartoonist that 4chan decided was actually a full-on white nationalist and now half the people who hear about him know him as "Zyklon Dan" because 4chan edited all his poo poo to be racist?

IMO we should hold ourselves to higher standards than literal nazis. Like I think pedos should go to jail and not be dragged away and gangraped. I think ISIS fighters who get captured should go to a PoW camp, not a torture center.

Like if someone's publically a nazi laugh at them and call them a worthless loving nazi. If they commit a crime or threaten to, arrest them. Don't harass them like a loving 14-year-old from 2006.

BLM members are open about it and it was formed because of racism. There's nothing wrong with them.
Nazis should be exposed because their beliefs are hateful and violent.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Campbells is so much worse than Progresso, I don't know why anybody buys Campbells

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Guy Goodbody posted:

Campbells is so much worse than Progresso, I don't know why anybody buys Campbells

Cream of broccoli and tomato

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Jimmy Johns, like taco bell, sucks and is over rated

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jastiger posted:

Jimmy Johns, like taco bell, sucks and is over rated

I don't think anyone rates Jimmy John's highly (or Taco Bell while sober). It's just something absurdly fast and relatively affordable.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That's probably my favorite, but there's some great ones out there:

Cheers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KtAgAMzaeg

Sopranos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLxSUKA--Dg

The Wire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1ABR4UpDSU

Perfect Strangers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbnLYROCj8

Banshee (this one changed almost every episode and is fantastic):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGWEiNNGR3Y

edit:

Almost forgot Justified!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r6rxdxZQHw

edit edit:
Just because it triggers my nostalgia, but Stranger Things is a pretty great intro too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RcPZdihrp4

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 03:14 on Aug 16, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
If we're allowing nostalgia then the best TV show intro is obvious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMXjtvMAFlI

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I was going to say Twilight Zone, which is indeed wonderful, but hot drat did Tales from the Darkside unsettle the poo poo out of me as a kid:
https://youtu.be/FZm45kGyH_A

Tales from the Crypt had a pretty fun one, too. Horror anthologies are great.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The live action Duck Tails intro is pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpAx8Z5z40

Although nothing beats this classic Night Court intro you might not remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEwgj01cDvY

Zoobilee zoo I don't remember being quite so... graphic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKj2pMrHRhM

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don't think anyone rates Jimmy John's highly (or Taco Bell while sober). It's just something absurdly fast and relatively affordable.

I've heard people rate Jimmy johns above like subway and other lovely sandwich places and there's some fan boys of it. I don't know anyone who goes buck wild for Taco Bell though that's just a weird thing to assume. It's gotta be such a rare occasion that either would be rated in the first place except negatively that I don't know how jastiger would even have this issue unless he's close friends with riff raff

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 05:02 on Aug 16, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I've heard people rate Jimmy johns above like subway and other lovely sandwich places and there's some fan boys of it. I don't know anyone who goes buck wild for Taco Bell though that's just a weird thing to assume. It's gotta be such a rare occasion that either would be rated in the first place except negatively that I don't know how jastiger would even have this issue unless he's close friends with riff raff

They're probably just considered high end establishments in Des Moines

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
To be contrary to the thread in general, I'm not a fan of long TV show intros in general. I'd say the worst has got to be Oz, and I can't stand that Tom Waits song in the Wire. Game of Thrones was cool at first just visually but now I just fast forward through it. Also Weeds and Orange is the New Black have intro songs that drive me nuts if I can't hit the FF button fast enough.

I like ones that are short and sweet, like Scrubs, Supernatural, Breaking Bad etc. One notable exception is The Shield, which is one of my favorite shows but every time that intro/ending credits start i race for the mute button instead of fast forward since it's so short. It's just too jarring (which I get is partially what they were going for).

e: also jimmy johns is alright, but their only gimmick that makes them any better than other places is how fast they make the sandwich, making it ideal for pretty much only college campuses or other places that get a huge lunch rush. The sandwich itself is just OK, the kind of quality you'd expect for taking 15 seconds to make.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah long intros are bad. Ideally they'd be maybe 10 seconds long, tops.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

as long as i'm not binge watching something on dvd i like long intros when they succeed at putting you into the mood of the program, e.g. x-files, the outer limits, unsolved mysteries, COPS, etc but i can see how a quick intro would be good for a syndicated show just watch everyday at 6 during a meal

Mu Zeta posted:

i remember people saying back when it was new that the intro does not fit the tone of the show and i agreed back when i watched it, for me it didn't add much and i'd have skipped it if i could - i'm sure that's an unpopular opinion

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

For short and to the point intros, I like Halt and Catch Fire:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYoZxhD_3AU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I liked Regular Show's intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN22qZp2Szk

:v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm trying to think what the best live show intro is.
Dexter?

yeah I eat rear end posted:

To be contrary to the thread in general, I'm not a fan of long TV show intros in general.
The worst is when it's a long intro but there's a scene before it. At least if the intro is actually at the start it's pretty easy to skip.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
While I'm a fan of olives I'm not a fan of three olives.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like looking at anime intros because that's typically where half the show's budget is. When Japanese animation actually has money behind it, they really go all out on fluid, dynamic movement and angles that Western animation won't touch unless it's like, The Thief and the Cobbler, where trippy animation's the whole point. Studios Madhouse and 4°C are particularly good when they severely distort models to emphasize motion.

Of course the content's typically poo poo, but I admire the technical execution and wish we would be more adventurous with our bloated animation budgets in the West. :sigh:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

anchorpunch posted:

....the fat american said, while munching down his mcdonalds burger.
im sure you think star bucks is a café, too.

If it takes longer than 10 minutes to get your food it's not fast food. Like Denny's is a restaurant, because you go, get seated, and have to wait for your waiter to take your order. It's weird that you're arguing the basic definitions of words.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The best intro is the later seasons of Louis, a black screen with white text that's on screen for about 1 second.

Most stylish and "pumping up" I don't know. American Gods is stylish as hell but goes on forever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I like looking at anime intros because that's typically where half the show's budget is. When Japanese animation actually has money behind it, they really go all out on fluid, dynamic movement and angles that Western animation won't touch unless it's like, The Thief and the Cobbler, where trippy animation's the whole point. Studios Madhouse and 4°C are particularly good when they severely distort models to emphasize motion.

Of course the content's typically poo poo, but I admire the technical execution and wish we would be more adventurous with our bloated animation budgets in the West. :sigh:

I do watch other anime but you mentioned Studio 4°C and they did Tekkonkinkreet which imo is the best animated film. Hyper detailed backgrounds and rough simple character designs that are very expressive not to mentioned brilliant framing and fluid animation.

PHUO: Also anime related I guess but Howl is far superior to Spirited Away which was honestly a letdown.

Yobgoblin posted:

What is your current one?

It's fanart from Alien specifically this one. Hopefully I'm not missing some elaborate :thejoke:

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 11:10 on Aug 16, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Turtlicious posted:

If it takes longer than 10 minutes to get your food it's not fast food. Like Denny's is a restaurant, because you go, get seated, and have to wait for your waiter to take your order. It's weird that you're arguing the basic definitions of words.

He's just doing the food elitist version of what you see all the time where people say "only what I like is true/proper _____" whether it's film, literature, whatever. It's a sign that he has no redeeming qualities and clings to the one thing he can lord over the poors/normies about.

It's not even that we (at least, I think I can speak for most of us) disagree with his basic statement - mcdonalds/starbucks are clearly worse than their fancy higher quality versions. That doesn't make them not restaurants/cafes, it just makes them low quality/cheap ones. The chain thing is stupid too, they are just brands of restaurants - to say they aren't restaurants just because they have a brand is like saying levi jeans aren't "true jeans" because they have a common name and aren't hand-stitched by a local artisan using locally sourced denim.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

He's just doing the food elitist version of what you see all the time where people say "only what I like is true/proper _____" whether it's film, literature, whatever. It's a sign that he has no redeeming qualities and clings to the one thing he can lord over the poors/normies about.

It's not even that we (at least, I think I can speak for most of us) disagree with his basic statement - mcdonalds/starbucks are clearly worse than their fancy higher quality versions. That doesn't make them not restaurants/cafes, it just makes them low quality/cheap ones. The chain thing is stupid too, they are just brands of restaurants - to say they aren't restaurants just because they have a brand is like saying levi jeans aren't "true jeans" because they have a common name and aren't hand-stitched by a local artisan using locally sourced denim.

Yeah that breaks my head a bit, because saying something isn't a "true" whatever is just not a thing me or my friends do, it just seems like such an insufferable way to hold a conversation with someone. Not too mention it's needlessly insulting.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Jimmy John's is way better than Subway. They are faster+have better service and they use better ingredients. It is just a deli sandwich, but it is a good one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

EmmyOk posted:

I do watch other anime but you mentioned Studio 4°C and they did Tekkonkinkreet which imo is the best animated film. Hyper detailed backgrounds and rough simple character designs that are very expressive not to mentioned brilliant framing and fluid animation.

PHUO: Also anime related I guess but Howl is far superior to Spirited Away which was honestly a letdown.

:allears:

I know a bunch of idiots hate on 4°C because their designs aren't traditionally pretty, but I feel safe calling them idiots because they're objectively wrong about the studio's quality. Japanese animation has an issue with background design where it's often stagnant and and practical, with little relation to the character design other than a time and place. Like with your selection, you can see the stylistic impression the background designs share with their characters: Everything's a little off-kilter and funhouse-y, architecture's a little unusual and everything's brimming with urban style and decay. There's a gorgeous, disastrous congruence between them that isn't cherry blossoms and dainty blushing faces. It's better than that. It's not perfectly pretty, and therefore it's interesting.

I'm gushing to the choir, but good design just make me so happy. Tekkonkinkreet's is just beautifully cohesive, and that's to say nothing of the animation. They whip poo poo around the screen like liquid.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Anywhere that prepares and sells meals is a restaurant. 'Fast Food' is an attribute you can attach to that.

A café is somewhere that sells hot drinks, likely coffee.

A restaurant can be a café and a restaurant. It can also be a fast-food restaurant and a café.

None of these things are exclusive and all have concrete definitions. Don't know why it's hard.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

Hmm Inspector Gadget, actually, or maybe A-Team oh wait no it's Ein Fall für Zwei just because of the sweet music. (I have never seen the Game of Thrones intro but I bet it's bad.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

well why not posted:

A café is somewhere that sells hot drinks, likely coffee.

Wouldn't that definition make every restaurant a café?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I prefer internet cafes

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Wouldn't that definition make every restaurant a café?
It's more a question of what their focus is. Although both may serve both food and coffee, the main product of a café is the coffee, while the main product of a restaurant is the food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

It's more a question of what their focus is. Although both may serve both food and coffee, the main product of a café is the coffee, while the main product of a restaurant is the food.

Nah, the main product of a café is still food. Otherwise it's just a coffee shop.