Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

DTaeKim posted:

Congratulations! Did everything just click for you that run?

I did do a lot of practice, with PV, NKG and AR, even on ascendant difficulty, so I was pretty solid.

The bit I wasn't confident on was the ascent and final stage.... so the very final end. I think I had one hit left and was in a half "oh god oh god" and half "I got this" especially when it went to the middle for the final blow.

And thanks for the congrats all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

now you just have to do it with a delicate flower.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Apparently the pantheon completion emblem has a special glow if you no-hit the pantheon of hallownest, but is overwritten if you do the pantheon of hallownest with all four bindings.

Regular:

Hitless:

All bindings:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Now do hitless all bindings

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bike tory posted:

Now do hitless all bindings
I'm kind of surprised that, as far as I can tell, no one has ever done this. I mean, I'm not surprised because it seems insanely hard, but gamers usually rise to the challenge.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Apparently the real thing stopping people from finishing hitless all bindings runs is the collector. That's not really the boss you think of when you think hardest bosses, but there you go.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Pre-nerf Pantheon Collector (back when his spawns took two nail hits to kill) was one of the ruder bosses and when you're forced into Nail + Charm + Soul bindings killing the jar pets quickly would become a real hassle, so I can see it.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Oh I didn't know he was nerfed, my information may be outdated then. It was from a youtube video ages ago.

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Darox posted:

Pre-nerf Pantheon Collector (back when his spawns took two nail hits to kill) was one of the ruder bosses and when you're forced into Nail + Charm + Soul bindings killing the jar pets quickly would become a real hassle, so I can see it.

Oh poo poo, maybe I’ll go back and try to get through more of Godhome. I got stuck on the Collector early on and gave up. Also didn’t know he was nerfed.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

I've been stuck at AR now for a bit. been able to reliably get her down during practice, laser phase notwithstanding. was feeling confident I'd get the pantheon today.

so ofcourse loving Markoth did my near perfect run in. :argh:

Cynicus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 3, 2021

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Cynicus posted:

I've been stuck at AR now for a bit. been able to reliably get her down during practice, laser phase notwithstanding. was feeling confident I'd get the pantheon today.

you can do it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cynicus posted:

you've got it dude

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm trying to beat Hornet 2 but it's so frustrating. I can't seem to figure out a pattern for her, and she seems to just change direction to either be wherever I'm landing to damage me, or meet me in the air. I thought I was just seeing things until one time when I just dropped mid air when moving across the screen and then so did she to hit me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cynicus posted:

MARKOTHHHHHH

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I beat this game for the first time a few days ago and, upon deciding to watch a lore video to fill in some gaps, despite having a 97% complete file apparently there is an assload of game left somehow??? Just skimming the last page of this thread trying not to read too much is an experience. I have no idea how to access any of this stuff, are you supposed to organically know how to find pantheons or whatever or did people just read patch notes when they came out?

Also,

geo ka lala

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

I beat this game for the first time a few days ago and, upon deciding to watch a lore video to fill in some gaps, despite having a 97% complete file apparently there is an assload of game left somehow??? Just skimming the last page of this thread trying not to read too much is an experience. I have no idea how to access any of this stuff, are you supposed to organically know how to find pantheons or whatever or did people just read patch notes when they came out?

Also,

geo ka lala

Yeah I just read up on where it started when it came out. I mean, it just came out and I'm not gonna scramble over all of Hallownest looking for the starting point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

metasynthetic posted:

Also,

geo ka lala

Yeah godhome is not really meant to be discovered organically, you can just randomly find it but it's basically an expanded endgame for people who are actively looking for that

I don't think it's a good approach but it is what it is

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I found godhome organically! I spent hours scouring the map for poo poo though. As a result one or my big complaints about this game is that you can't warp to benches.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think that would dramatically reduce the sense of danger and exploration and helplessness that the game sets out to achieve, but maybe as an endgame charm for beating Hollow Knight or something

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
technically you can quit and reload :v:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

I think that would dramatically reduce the sense of danger and exploration and helplessness that the game sets out to achieve, but maybe as an endgame charm for beating Hollow Knight or something

Yeah I think as a late game ability it'd be fine. By the time you've beaten most of the bosses and you're just on the hunt for the final masks and grubs and poo poo it's not a sense of danger and helplessness, just tedium.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I feel like the new Dream Nail ability they added was exactly the amount of fast travel Hollow Knight needed. There are a couple of specific routes I find obnoxious because e.g. there's one of those three-projectile flying enemies that are so hard to predict on the route but in general I didn't mind the amount of backtracking in a typical run.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I feel like the new Dream Nail ability they added was exactly the amount of fast travel Hollow Knight needed. There are a couple of specific routes I find obnoxious because e.g. there's one of those three-projectile flying enemies that are so hard to predict on the route but in general I didn't mind the amount of backtracking in a typical run.

Same. I thought late game was pretty tedious on my first playthrough, because I needed to hoof it from city of tears to the abyss a bunch of times, but with the stag station added to ancient basin and the dream nail teleport, getting around is convenient enough nowadays.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think they should add a lategame charm that lets me warp to Silksong

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
As someone with maybe a newer perspective on this, I looked over some of the patch notes and was surprised that the teleport and additional station(s?) wasn't in from the start, that must have sucked. I agree as it is it feels just right, although getting around lower Greenpath and some of the Fungal Wastes was kind of a slog in the early / mid game.

Also looking back, they tease the tram pass so early compared to when you get it, and the actual tram route from the crossroads is obsolete by the time you get it. Just felt like a really odd decision, when the overall map design is extremely coherent otherwise.

metasynthetic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 6, 2021

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what's incoherent about building two train lines, one which goes like 100 feet to a cemetery, and the other which goes to loving Deepnest for no reason

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what's incoherent about building two train lines, one which goes like 100 feet to a cemetery, and the other which goes to loving Deepnest for no reason

Deepnest is the suburbs and the key to a vital city is accessible public transportation.

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Martman posted:

absolutely.

I'd heard the Nvidia leak turning out to be more and more reliable.

or it is something I am fervently praying to be true.

I just want Silksong. :(

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Martman posted:

Just buy it and play it right now like a normal person, sheesh

I'm really enjoying the new movement mechanics btw Hornet is a blast to play as

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's a sacrifice of gameplay for narrative. civic planning in Hollownest was more ambitious than it should have been lol

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I mean other than the tram line, your options for getting to deepnest all have some pretty significant disadvantages, and they were trying to convince them to join the kingdom weren't they? Makes sense to build a convenient transport system there.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also weren’t the tram lines canonically built hundreds of years ago back when Hallownest was still, like, alive and not yet fallen into infestation and decay?

It’s crazy I’m just now realizing I basically have a PhD in Dark Souls lore but don’t have the faintest fog of a clue about the Hollow Knight lore despite it being in my Top 10, possibly Top 5 of all time. Guess I’ve got some research to do, lol

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

There's definitely some good videos around but it's been so long since I watched them that I couldn't tell you which ones. Anyway yeah there's a ton of lore to know and things to theorise about, it's a super dense game and so much of it is random hidden stuff.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

there's some cool stuff you can sort of work out if you're familiar with parasitoid wasps and fungal infections in insects, but it doesn't have quite the same level of, like, built up archaeological implications in every single item and every snippet of terrain that Souls game do imo

although it's always possible i just didn't look hard enough :v:

e: this post is a really neat exploration of lore relating to Wyrms and the Pale King, although there's a certain point where it goes from "extremely well-reasoned deductions based on minute details of insect biology" to "this character and this other thing are both the same color! they must be the same!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/HollowKnight/comments/8jyn56/lore_spoilers_royalty_radiance_and_wyrms/

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The snails are the mystics.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Thanks for sharing that! I found that more satisfying than some of the mossbag interpretations (https://mossbag69.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-mostly-complete-lore-of-hollow.html?m=1).

It's too bad their theories don't really address the vessel or void. I wonder if there's any cool entomology for Unn too. What are they? A slug?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XDiWYFGGqY

:cloudnine:

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
How are you supposed to know when there’s stuff in an area you can get after having powered up? Or are you supposed to backtrack and just hope you stumble across new stuff?

Also, I heard tell of DLCs but can’t see them on Steam, are they just added automatically in updates?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yes, you have to remember places you couldn’t get to before. The map pins are useful for this.

The DLC is all free and should all be included in the main game download.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Ah I see. I’m starting an old game from where I got to last time, some point in the middle - so I guess I’ll just have to explore again! Great game tho, would quite like to finish it this time