Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new FFXII:ZA game with the gimmick that I won't use any offensive magic. Right now the party I have planned is:

Vaan: Shikari/Foebreaker (ninja swords, debuffer)
Penelo: White Mage/Machinist (guns, healbot)
Balthier: Uhlan/Bushi (spears, access to White Robes + Holy Lance)
Fran: Monk/Time Mage (poles, access to haste in midgame)
Basch: Shikari/Bushi (Katanas, access to Black Robes + Yagyu Darkblade)
Ashe: Knight/Bushi (greatswords, access to White Robes + Excalibur)

Thoughts?

It depends on what your gameplan is and quite frankly, if you aren't thinking about hunts it's going to be boring as hell.

For instance, Orthros will be a ridiculously difficult hunt with physicals but can pretty much be melted with zero effort by using a reflectga mote and just casting fira on your party. Really FF12 isn't the best game for that kind of challenge run, let alone making it fun.

NikkolasKing posted:

So if I were to ask which is the best FF sequel, am I correct in assuming most responses would be X-2 or Lightning Returns?

Just curious. It probably won't be Dirge of Cerberus or The After Years. But what of Crisis Core or Revenant Wings or Tactics Advance? (does that count? Maybe TA2?)

Crisis Core is ok, but its main villain is ridiculously lovely. The game acknowledges this and makes fun of him, but at the end of the day he's still the one driving the plot unironically.

Also it has a lot of sidequests that require very specific actions, at very specific times to complete. Granted this is mostly for the limit break system, but a lot of it is pretty baffling.

Oh and also the limit break system is completely retarded; basically there's results skewed toward certain results after certain things. For instance, it's highly likely, but not immediately guaranteed, that you'll level up once you meet the invisible xp threshold, but you still have to wait for the slots to reel 777.

The slot system is super dumb and doesn't fit Zack's character. (Who in all honesty is voiced super well and is thankfully the highlight of his game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Crisis Core's ending was pretty creative though. I didn't really like the slot system but I was like "That's a good way to cap off the game, daym."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

So if I were to ask which is the best FF sequel, am I correct in assuming most responses would be X-2 or Lightning Returns?

Just curious. It probably won't be Dirge of Cerberus or The After Years. But what of Crisis Core or Revenant Wings or Tactics Advance? (does that count? Maybe TA2?)

I always considered Dirge, Crisis Core, and Tactics Advanced as spinoffs than proper sequels. But otherwise, yeah it'd be X-2/LR/Crisis Core. They each have issues but in different ways so I don't think it's a clean decision.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, I think I am at the point where I am about to just give up trying to get Zodiark. Who the gently caress designed this boss, SNK?

It's so fun to get a boss down to 20%, then have him become invincible to both magic and physical attacks, then have him wipe your whole party with darkja, then have to go through a dungeon to get to him again, then to repeat it like 20 times

Right now I'm trying to cheat by having my characters level to 99 while AFK off slimes in the mines but that probably won't work because for some reason they keep stoping and just standing there like idiots doing nothing for 10 hours

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Do y'all want no challenge in anything?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you wanna afk level there's at least one area the *sob* Great Crystal where the ghost type enemies infinitely respawn.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Well at big part of my problem is that my party is mostly around level 55-60 and I don't have any black masks and can't figure out where to get them in Zodiac Age

Also I figured out that I need to have 1 guy go in at the start and basically be a suicide bomber then switch out to the actual team, but what I didn't know is if you dispel his buffs then he becomes invincible at the end and that's what's been loving me

I also had the idea to basically give Vaan w/ Excalibur and Bashe w/ Golden Axe + Demon shield Bravery + Berserk and that will get him down to 20% in like 20 seconds but at that point I just get completely hosed over by him and he becomes impossible

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, I think I am at the point where I am about to just give up trying to get Zodiark. Who the gently caress designed this boss, SNK?

It's so fun to get a boss down to 20%, then have him become invincible to both magic and physical attacks, then have him wipe your whole party with darkja, then have to go through a dungeon to get to him again, then to repeat it like 20 times

Right now I'm trying to cheat by having my characters level to 99 while AFK off slimes in the mines but that probably won't work because for some reason they keep stoping and just standing there like idiots doing nothing for 10 hours

lol you don't need to be level 99, get some better weapons and the fight will be over almost instantly. bravery + berserk + haste is a busted rear end combo, its like 2.1x damage. when he approaches 20% immediately use quickenings

for reference i killed zodiark with my main party at 58-60

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gammatron 64 posted:

Use Shell and wear equipment that resists/absorbs dark. Darkja has an instant-kill component but Shell gives you a 50% chance to resist it.

Palings are stupid as gently caress, though, I loving hate palings. I like challenging bosses, but palings are not fun challenge. They're just lovely. The best solution is to start a quickening chain when he's just above 20% and get a real, real good one.

You don't need to be level 99 for anything at all in this game, not even Yiazmat or Trial 100.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There are times that I still think back to Crisis Core's ending and stare at the wall for a while.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Artelier posted:

Crisis Core's ending was pretty creative though. I didn't really like the slot system but I was like "That's a good way to cap off the game, daym."

Whatever flaws Crisis Core has, I genuinely think it has probably the single best ending in the franchise and genuinely one of the better video game endings I can think of. A lot of it is that the Price of Freedom is a top top top tier FF song but it's a rare case of gameplay and story coming together almost perfectly. I'm willing to forgive it a lot of bullshit for that ending.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

lol you don't need to be level 99, get some better weapons and the fight will be over almost instantly. bravery + berserk + haste is a busted rear end combo, its like 2.1x damage. when he approaches 20% immediately use quickenings

for reference i killed zodiark with my main party at 58-60

Yeah I mean, bravery + berserk + haste + shell then nuke him with quickenings has basically been my strategy but he still continually manages to gently caress me up and have the time when I try it he puts up a paling and I do a 12-chain quickening for 0 damage then does darkja and murders everyone and I get really mad at a video game

I also think Excalibur, Masamune and Golden Axe are the best weapons that aren't the Zodiac Spear, right?

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 4, 2017

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
For those still working their way through FFXII, this will be useful in collecting things: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/0B5W4h-Psks2ANkt4SC1Na0UyNzQ

Also, once you're in the 40's range for levels and have the Thief's Cuffs (treasure in Zertinan Caverns or the Mosphoran Highwaste), you can farm stage 49 of Trial Mode for Ribbons. Just make your way to stage 49, try to steal from Hashmal, if you get a Ribbon then finish the stage, otherwise quit to title and load your autosave for the stage.

You can also steal the Wyrmhero Blade from Famfrit in stage 50. They're really rare steals, but autosave gives you as many chances as you can stomach. Also worth noting is the Karkata can be stolen from the Flowering Cactoid in stage 3 with the Thief's Cuffs and is a 92 attack 1H sword which can carry you to endgame.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Stealing Ribbons didn't give me much success. I found it easier to get one from the end game Henne Mine chest and then to just spawn and kill the Level 99 Red Chocobo outside of Jahara.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Whatever flaws Crisis Core has, I genuinely think it has probably the single best ending in the franchise and genuinely one of the better video game endings I can think of. A lot of it is that the Price of Freedom is a top top top tier FF song but it's a rare case of gameplay and story coming together almost perfectly. I'm willing to forgive it a lot of bullshit for that ending.

The rest of crisis core is so extremely dull and mediocre that I treat the "game" as a tutorial for the ending and why it should hit you hard.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

Ffxv has the best ending in final fantasy history

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Ffxv has the best ending in final fantasy history

Eh. Honestly, while I think FFXV has a good ending, I don't think it's his most successful attempt, especially because all of his games basically end the same way. It's better than the genuine mess that was Third Birthday but I think Crisis Core handled basically the same basic idea but better. Maybe I'd have felt better more positively towards it if it came first but he's got a niche and I think he hit it most successfully on his first (or second I guess if you count Before Crisis) attempt and since then has been trying to recapture it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 4, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
How do ff regulars mess up numbers this much

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what's so good about crisis cores ending

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Shoren posted:

For those still working their way through FFXII, this will be useful in collecting things: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/mobile/folders/0B5W4h-Psks2ANkt4SC1Na0UyNzQ

Also, once you're in the 40's range for levels and have the Thief's Cuffs (treasure in Zertinan Caverns or the Mosphoran Highwaste), you can farm stage 49 of Trial Mode for Ribbons. Just make your way to stage 49, try to steal from Hashmal, if you get a Ribbon then finish the stage, otherwise quit to title and load your autosave for the stage.

You can also steal the Wyrmhero Blade from Famfrit in stage 50. They're really rare steals, but autosave gives you as many chances as you can stomach. Also worth noting is the Karkata can be stolen from the Flowering Cactoid in stage 3 with the Thief's Cuffs and is a 92 attack 1H sword which can carry you to endgame.

Wait the Wyrmhero Blade? Holy poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish there was a way to play Crisis Core without owning a physical copy and digging my PSP out.

Oh wait I guess I could emulate it huh...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Honestly, while I think FFXV has a good ending, I don't think it's his most successful attempt, especially because all of his games basically end the same way. It's better than the genuine mess that was Third Birthday but I think Crisis Core handled basically the same basic idea but better. Maybe I'd have felt better more positively towards it if it came first but he's got a niche and I think he hit it most successfully on his first (or second I guess if you count Before Crisis) attempt and since then has been trying to recapture it.

Maybe I liked it more because 15 is the only one of his games I've ever finished :v:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Norns posted:

Do y'all want no challenge in anything?

Considering the multiple page derails about series difficulty in the past 20 pages, it's pretty obvious that most of us want a happy medium between FF6-easy and things that are difficult for bullshit reasons. There are very obvious ways to make palings not so dumb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

what's so good about crisis cores ending

It's extremely well presented visually, especially for a PSP game, and makes excellent use of music. The actual events are largely known to the players coming in so rather than focusing on making it a surprise they instead make ti pretty much about the character's motivations and last thoughts instead. They do this by playing with the game's actual mechanics and have them slowly breaking down as the player gradually falls to the death of a thousand cuts, putting the player in the same position as the character. It's just overall a good ending that actually makes use of gameplay mechanics to enhance the storyline instead of just having the sad things happen in a cutscene. (Something I think FFXV genuinely failed at except for letting you pick a picture to take along, which was a really good bit.)

As I said the director's been trying to recapture it ever since. FFXV's by far his most successful attempt and a solid ending on its own right, but I don't think everything came together as well as it did in Crisis Core. (I'd put it well above Third Birthday or Type-0 though.)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ROFL Octopus posted:

Wait the Wyrmhero Blade? Holy poo poo.

Yes, you read that right. It's fairly game-breaking when you pick it up when you're in the Salikawood. Although it takes forever to charge an attack it still has a high combo rate and is holy elemental plus gives bravery on equip so it wrecks most of the enemies from there on because they're weak to holy. And anyone can use it because it has no license!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OTOH several later bosses in the Trials absorb Holy so make sure to have a decent backup weapon if you're planning on doing those.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Someone tell me why Lightning Returns is considered good. I played it once for the true ending but I felt like I was doing nothing stupid errands for NPCs I didn't care about because none of them were particularly well written? That's my memory of the game anyway, it's been several years

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

WaltherFeng posted:

Someone tell me why Lightning Returns is considered good. I played it once for the true ending but I felt like I was doing nothing stupid errands for NPCs I didn't care about because none of them were particularly well written? That's my memory of the game anyway, it's been several years

The combat is good
Lightning seems aware of how stupid the plot is and rolls with it
You punch god in the face yelling "god is dead"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shoren posted:

Thanks I'm gonna have to do this. I have thief cuffs already and I'm way past 40 but don't have any ribbons or the Wyrmhero Blade so hell yeah

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

wyrmhero blade isn't that good imo

tournesol and excalibur are a lot better

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

wyrmhero blade isn't that good imo

tournesol and excalibur are a lot better

yeah but you have to grind for materials to make the tournesol but the wyrmhero blade you can just steal from a dude. much easier

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

corn in the bible posted:

is the regalia type f the most disappointing airship in final fantasy history

Not when the airship in 12 "exists".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Wyrmhero Blade is a Dragon Quest cameo so it's good just based on that

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Plus you finally have a chance to use the Wyrmhero Blade before there's nothing left to do.

Also it has the sheer novelty of having a 100% combo rate with the genji gloves.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

the combat is not good. it is very boring and tedious. the writing is also not good. what is good, is this goofy rear end bird. the only problem is that he is not present in all of the areas

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

ImpAtom posted:

Like ImpAtom said, basically all of Tabata's games end with the heroes all loving dying. Dude loves killing off characters we've come to know and love throughout the game.

And while we're still on Crisis Core, the one part of the ending I don't like are those two bits with Cissnei and the Turks desperately trying to find and save Zack. Like, why would you even do this? We know Zack dies at the end, what point is there to have two scenes, one of which I believe is CGI, showing that somebody knew he was heading to Midgar and was going to come save him? It actually got my heart pounding, because I thought, against all odds, there was going to be some True Ending bullshit that only unlocks after you 100% the game that retcons FF7 and shows the Turks rescuing Zack and he goes on to live a happy normal life with Cissnei. Instead, IIRC, the only thing you get for 100%ing the game is a cutscene that ties into loving Dirge of Cerberus of all things.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lightning Returns has the greatest fictional protagonist in all media.

So great that she becomes a factual person living in France.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

GulagDolls posted:

the combat is not good. it is very boring and tedious. the writing is also not good. what is good, is this goofy rear end bird. the only problem is that he is not present in all of the areas

that's a really good bird

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
i wanna ride that chocobo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I wanna ride my chocobo all day