Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
1. Has anyone else had trouble with the charge port on their Pixel 5 as it's aged, or is it just me?

2. Is there a wireless charger for the Pixel 5 that anyone here likes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
May be worth it to try to clean out the port with a toothpick.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

C-Euro posted:

1. Has anyone else had trouble with the charge port on their Pixel 5 as it's aged, or is it just me?

2. Is there a wireless charger for the Pixel 5 that anyone here likes?

I'm not a charging aficionado, but I have 10w Anker pad and a 10w Insignia (Best Buy) stand and both work fine for me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

cage-free egghead posted:

May be worth it to try to clean out the port with a toothpick.

This. It's surprising how much crap can build up in a port.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I took a can of compressed air to it a few weeks ago which helped a little, but a toothpick sounds good too. I'll try that, thanks.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

A SIM card removal tool is also useful for clearing out charging port lint.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Evis posted:

A SIM card removal tool is also useful for shorting electrical contacts in your charging port

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I wouldn't use anything metal in there.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The plastic pick tool that is in my Swish Army knife is perfect for this.

My current phone was bought used and the charger would fall out while sitting still on the desk. I've never dug so much junk out of a port before.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

For reference for anyone, the grabby bits of USB-C are in the cable, not the port. So if you ever have a case of a connection not seating properly and it happens with multiple cables, it's almost always going to be an obstruction in the port rather than anything actually broken in there.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
nthing getting a toothpick in there, it's real satisfying, like a Q-Tip.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
So is that $350 A53 worth it compared to a $450 6a? Really the only thing I do with my current s8+ is use Samsung Pay, an alarm clock, and play gacha games, and I only need to replace it because it's out of security updates.

Although it's very annoying that apps will close if I multitask for more than a few seconds, but I believe both of the above phones have 6GB.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Curious about that too, I've been reticent to try Samsung based on reputation, but this Moto G Power (2020) is showing its age.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They really took a step backwards in SoC with the A53 vs the A52.

It has a higher refresh screen than the 6a and will probably last longer on battery, but it won't be as performant, especially a few years down the line.

If this is a 1 year burner phone, then it will probably be fine. If you intend to keep it through the update length, then the 6a will probably be worth the extra $100 for performance a few years from now.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I've got an android question here- how on earth do I change my name here? I've changed the name associated with all of my google accounts tied to my phone but this one hasn't changed.

Pixel 5, my provider was previously Fi (idk if that has anything to do with anything) now Mint (changed it there too)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Interesting, i think this is the first time Qualcomm has changed foundries and process for a mid gen chip refresh.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/17395/qualcomm-announces-snapdragon-8-gen-1-moving-to-tsmc-for-more-speed-lower-power

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Hey, any inexpensive phone recommendations? My razer phone 2's USB c port died several months ago, and it's battery life is going to poo poo.

Im okay buying a gen or two old. I just want something that doesn't have a lovely mic/speaker and good battery life.

E: probably going to go with the OnePlus N200

hard to argue with big battery, good resolution, and 90 fps for 300 cad.

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 21, 2022

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Did chrome start having news notifications or did I just accidently install some bad extension?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
The toothpick trick worked, thank you goons!

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Harminoff posted:

Did chrome start having news notifications or did I just accidently install some bad extension?
A lot of companies are pushing notifications as the new adware, you'll get a random popups for poo poo from Chrome which is just showing the notification from the website.

How to adjust them:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Fawf posted:

I've got an android question here- how on earth do I change my name here? I've changed the name associated with all of my google accounts tied to my phone but this one hasn't changed.

Pixel 5, my provider was previously Fi (idk if that has anything to do with anything) now Mint (changed it there too)

You might need to sign out of the account and back it to see it adjust the name for that field. Seems to pull from the google account when you first log in to the phone, but no idea if it adjust it when you update.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

minusX posted:

You might need to sign out of the account and back it to see it adjust the name for that field. Seems to pull from the google account when you first log in to the phone, but no idea if it adjust it when you update.

Thanks, I actually managed to stumble into the answer by accident. Settings --> System --> Multiple Users, turn multiple users on and then you can edit the name of the main profile. Flip it back off and that new name is still reflected everywhere. Not intuitive whatsoever but hey, it worked :v:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Android Thread -

Fawf posted:

Not intuitive whatsoever but hey, it worked :v:

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Does anyone have recommendations for screenshot capture apps that work unrestricted? T-Mobile app prevents screenshot and I want to record the chats from them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I think this is an OS security "feature", my bank prevents screeshots too (though I can turn that off). So I'm just guessing but you'd probably need root if the app doesn't want you to do it.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Using a second device’s camera is the easy way. You could root and bypass their screenshot disabling but that doesn’t seem worth it for a few screenshots of text.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My Samsung A51 recently updated to Android 12 and suddenly I have no mobile data. Calls and texts work fine, but "Mobile Network State" is listed as "Disconnected." I've tried all the usual stuff: reboot, mobile data on/off, airplane mode on/off. I've seen suggestions online to reset the APN settings to default, but that option is greyed out for me.

I have AT&T via Tracfone and dealing with Tracfone support is a complete nightmare, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Can you manually enter in your APN? Texting APN to 611611 should give you the correct details to put in. It sounds a lot like an incorrect APN.

e: This seems to be the TracFone details if you don't get any luck with that but they seem to have a few different options so may take a few goes.

Inceltown fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 27, 2022

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Evis posted:

Using a second device’s camera is the easy way. You could root and bypass their screenshot disabling but that doesn’t seem worth it for a few screenshots of text.

Shoot. I think this will have to be the solution. Thanks.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is the an S22 Ultra shortage or something? It's now 60 days since I ordered one through work and there isn't even an ETA yet. While there are some available in local stores, I checked and there are non on German Amazon.

I'm well aware of general supply chain fuckery but it seemed tha consumer phones weren't that affected.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

mobby_6kl posted:

Is the an S22 Ultra shortage or something? It's now 60 days since I ordered one through work and there isn't even an ETA yet. While there are some available in local stores, I checked and there are non on German Amazon.

I'm well aware of general supply chain fuckery but it seemed tha consumer phones weren't that affected.

I ordered one Sunday and it arrived Wednesday of this week, US based in case that matters.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Maybe it's an Exynos shortage.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

bull3964 posted:

Maybe it's an Exynos shortage.

Yeah that's what I'm kind of suspecting too, no idea what's really going on though.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lester Shy posted:

My Samsung A51 recently updated to Android 12 and suddenly I have no mobile data. Calls and texts work fine, but "Mobile Network State" is listed as "Disconnected." I've tried all the usual stuff: reboot, mobile data on/off, airplane mode on/off. I've seen suggestions online to reset the APN settings to default, but that option is greyed out for me.

I have AT&T via Tracfone and dealing with Tracfone support is a complete nightmare, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Was VoLTE working before this?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pixel 5a on Android 12: where is the setting (please tell me there is one) to get rid of that button on the screen where you're switching apps that will like zoom in on an image (for example most commonly for me it triggers when I'm switching away from Spotify while its screen is displaying album art) and offer options to search on the image or send it to someone, which I have never wanted to do once. I looked all over a few categories of global and Assistant settings; I assume it's got some stupid-rear end name like Visual HelpBuddy somewhere.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I think a OnePlus update bricked both of my cameras on my 7 pro. Any suggestions in way of ROMs or just roll back to a more recent one?

Barring that a suggestion for a phone that takes reaaaallly good pictures would be dope. That's the most "essential" thing I do with a phone.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Pixel 5a on Android 12: where is the setting (please tell me there is one) to get rid of that button on the screen where you're switching apps that will like zoom in on an image (for example most commonly for me it triggers when I'm switching away from Spotify while its screen is displaying album art) and offer options to search on the image or send it to someone, which I have never wanted to do once. I looked all over a few categories of global and Assistant settings; I assume it's got some stupid-rear end name like Visual HelpBuddy somewhere.

I think it may be overview suggestions? Long press on home screen - home settings - overview suggestions toggle.

VVV cheers

Don't Ask fucked around with this message at 12:37 on May 29, 2022

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Don't Ask posted:

I think it may be overview suggestions? Long press on home screen - home settings - overview suggestions toggle.
Yep, that is it, thanks so much!

Also gently caress you Google, that is an insanely unhelpful name for that setting, and a completely unknowable place to find it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've been on Google Voice for as long as I can remember, and now I'm considering porting my number out. What's the current state of Visual Voicemail? Is that something baked into Android, something manufacturer-dependent, or carrier dependent? Is it something that has to be opted into? Something people have to pay extra for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I've been on Google Voice for as long as I can remember, and now I'm considering porting my number out. What's the current state of Visual Voicemail? Is that something baked into Android, something manufacturer-dependent, or carrier dependent? Is it something that has to be opted into? Something people have to pay extra for?

It might depend on your phone and carrier, but I have an unlocked Pixel 4A on T-Mobile and I use the stock Android phone app on my phone and it doesn't cost me anything extra for using visual voicemail. It was just a setting I turned on in the phone app.