Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:spooky: RETURN OF THE 31 DAYS OF MOSTLY SPOOKY GAMES :spooky:

1. Knock-knock
2. CAPSULE
3. DARK
4. System Shock 2
5. Castle in the Darkness
6. Shattered Haven
7. Whispering Willows
8. Frankenstein: Master of Death
9. Kraven Manor
10. Our Darker Purpose
11. Stray Cat Crossing

12. Splatter - Blood Red Edition

You guys, this game is adorable.

Splatter is a twin-stick zombie shooter in the vein of... hell, pick something. Your character embarks on an epic, rain-soaked journey from his living room to a mysterious government lab in search of the source of the mutant undead plague that has torn your city apart. On your quest you find a wide assortment of weapons, along with cash to upgrade them. The upgrade system is a particularly good one, allowing you multiple upgrades on a single weapon to turn it into an absurd all-in-one death-dealer.

There's a surprising amount of content in each of the game's lengthy levels. Several have NPCs you can interact with, as well as optional sidequests for additional weapons and ammo. Some are centered around clever setpieces like a subway ride or a thresher driving sequence. Then there are additional secrets to find like armor upgrades and golden gun parts that I'm not clear on the purpose of, but by now it should be clear that there's plenty to do in the game's dozen or so open levels. Worth mentioning also that, aside from the gory action, there are some genuinely tense sections thanks to the lighting and encounter design in some of the darkened buildings and narrow corridors.

What makes this game adorable is the presentation. Your "hero" is a fedora-wearing trenchcoat-clad iconoclast who can't help but be a condescending dick to everyone he meets. I can't overstate this... in the cutscene where you arrive at the shopping mall, he monologues about how the place once attracted a different mindless herd of consumers. You're essentially playing the EUPHORIC guy unironically and it makes the game like ten times funnier than it should be. I honestly can't tell if it's a giant parody or if you're supposed to be taking his gravelly fussing seriously, but either way it elevates the game from bargain-basement shooter to something special. Coupled with the solid gameplay, graphics, and level design, Splatter proved to be an unexpected gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I like the looks of that game. I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

littleorv posted:

I like the looks of that game. I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sellme/notsellme Vermintide. It's Fatshark so I feel angry at them for War of Roses, but its a different game where I beat rat people.

All I can find is that it's lfd with a focus on melee.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I thought this was Huniepop

what would scraps be in this analogy

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

If you do happen to want to go back and try your hand at witcher 1, ignore most of the sword stuff and just roll a guy who stacks magic bonuses on top of magic bonus granting potions and then burn everything to death with fire magic. It's more fun and way less tedious that way.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Glad to see that eSports is just as awful and corrupt as real sports.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

mycot posted:

Thanks for the recommendation. I like the idea of visual novels but I'm always hesitant to buy them without review since a lot of the ones that avoid creepy bullshit just aren't very interesting.

There's actually a special thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705885
which is specifically for talking about all-ages, non-creepy VNs. Please try out lots of Steam VNs and discuss them there!

Other good on-sale VNs to try out would be World End Economica, written by the guy who made economics fun with the great anime/novel series Spice and Wolf, which appears to be in the same vein of making economics interesting while also telling a good story.

You might also try Ame no Marginal, which was written by the guy who brought us the emotionally powerful Narcissu (available for free on Steam). His stuff tends to be very un-creepy and instead tug at your heartstrings and make you ache with the feels. It's a little pricey at $12 for what amounts to a 5 hour short story (I don't believe it has any choices or alternate endings, none of his other stuff did) but at $6 it's about the price of a paperback novel and will probably give you the same level of enjoyable reading.

Edit: Also, huzzah, Zestiria made it and now everyone who pre-orders it gets Symphonia for free.

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 13, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Getsuya posted:

You might also try Ame no Marginal, which was written by the guy who brought us the emotionally powerful Narcissu (available for free on Steam). His stuff tends to be very un-creepy and instead tug at your heartstrings and make you ache with the feels. It's a little pricey at $12 for what amounts to a 5 hour short story (I don't believe it has any choices or alternate endings, none of his other stuff did) but at $6 it's about the price of a paperback novel and will probably give you the same level of enjoyable reading.

Oh man, I remember stumbling across Narcissu years ago. I grabbed it when it came up on Steam, but haven't been in the right mindset to go through it again. Guess I'll have to check out Ame no Marginal, too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Junkie Disease posted:

Sellme/notsellme Vermintide. It's Fatshark so I feel angry at them for War of Roses, but its a different game where I beat rat people.

It's Left 4 Dead but with rats.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Junkie Disease posted:

I for one liked it more than L4D. It's kind of hard to explain but L4D always felt like a grind that would slowly wear your guys down whereas Vermintide feels far more active and full of "oh poo poo" moments. I guess it's the combination of truly dangerous melee combat, rats being able to appear from a lot more places and the fact that there are no soft-resets during a mission (since there's no safe house or anything else that interrupts the action).

It does sound like it'll come out a bit thin on content though. We don't really know since the beta only included 3 out of 13 levels and the length of each varied a lot, plus there's no versus mode or survival (so it seems.) There's also supposed to be both free and paid DLC in the horizon so I guess give it a go if the price seems right.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wasteland 2's director's cut is out in a few hours. I'm going to give the game a go this time, I think.

I hope it doesn't suck.

I only played a few hours of the original and thought it was pretty good, but the systems were loving annoying as poo poo.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

Wasteland 2's director's cut is out in a few hours. I'm going to give the game a go this time, I think.

I hope it doesn't suck.

I only played a few hours of the original and thought it was pretty good, but the systems were loving annoying as poo poo.

Those mostly aren't going to change.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Orv posted:

Those mostly aren't going to change.

gently caress. Goddamn Brian Fargo.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 13, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I read somewhere that Pillars of Eternity is what everyone remembers old RPGS were like, while Wasteland 2 is what old RPGs were actually like.

Orv
May 4, 2011
More or less.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Funky Valentine posted:

I read somewhere that Pillars of Eternity is what everyone remembers old RPGS were like, while Wasteland 2 is what old RPGs were actually like.

I can see that, yeah. haha. I did feel the story of Pillars was rather bland, though. Like, it was...okay, with a couple really neat bits. I think Wasteland 2 felt more engaging, in my opinion, but Pillars was definitely more fun to play.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

They both have bad UIs, poorly balanced combat and terrible writing. They also railroad you while pretending to give you agency. So yeah they're just like old rpgs, but so are any other modern rpgs if you give them a lovely ui.

But yes, Wasteland 2 has way more unnecessary numbers that rarely matter and gives you no help figuring out what's useful until you've beaten the game. So good luck making a character that's useful.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nasgate posted:

They both have bad UIs, poorly balanced combat and terrible writing. They also railroad you while pretending to give you agency. So yeah they're just like old rpgs, but so are any other modern rpgs if you give them a lovely ui.

But yes, Wasteland 2 has way more unnecessary numbers that rarely matter and gives you no help figuring out what's useful until you've beaten the game. So good luck making a character that's useful.

I feel like I want to knee-jerk defend Obsidian here, but...:shrug: I think you're being a bit hyperbolic, although I don't think you're wrong aside from that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I reinstalled Outrun 2006(RIP all you losers who didn't get it before it was pulled) to play again, what are some good super arcadey racers in that vein that have decent single player but are more recent? OR2k6 is still awesome, but so much of it has aged so terribly, especially the UI at higher resolutions.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
You can find faults with every single game out there if you care hard enough. The thing to take away from this post is that Pillars of Eternity is overall pretty good! I hear the latest expansion added even more great things. It's more combat heavy, which many people might appreciate as the story is one of the more common complaints I hear (although I thought it was just fine). There was even a giant patch that added a ton of good changes (better AI for your team was one of the main features) the day the expansion hit. I imagine it's not the first big improvement we'll see before the second expansion. Overall worth a few playthroughs, as the companion stories are pretty fun and you may not get to them all in your first run.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Doublefine is also somewhat guilty of that, in that despite being a company known for their writing and characters they've put out several games with no real story or dialogue aside from the opening and ending cutscenes. You'd think that Kickstarted games would put more emphasis on writing since it's probably the cheapest way to add value to a game but :effort:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Obsidian are pretty top notch writers. I don't know why people had such issues with Pillars of Eternity. It definitely kept me engaged, which is more than I can ask for from most games. I tried playing Baldur's Gate 2 again not that long ago and really could not get in to it. People usually hold BG2 writing in very high regard, so I may just be the odd one out. Maybe I was just too young the first time I gave it a shot.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I have decided to take the gamble and preorder the new tales game on Steam.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

littleorv posted:

I have decided to take the gamble and preorder the new tales game on Steam.

why

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ragequit posted:

Obsidian are pretty top notch writers. I don't know why people had such issues with Pillars of Eternity. It definitely kept me engaged, which is more than I can ask for from most games. I tried playing Baldur's Gate 2 again not that long ago and really could not get in to it. People usually hold BG2 writing in very high regard, so I may just be the odd one out. Maybe I was just too young the first time I gave it a shot.

I dunno, I didn't play BG2 until I was in college and that poo poo was a little too wordy to keep me engaged. Pillars had just the right amount of wordiness, imo, where it wasn't so sparse that it left you wanting, but it also wasn't so plentiful that you just tuned it out.

I got it because I like to play Tales games, but I don't like to have to buy every current-gen console to play them, so I'm voting with my dollar in the hope that Namco will acknowledge a consumer base here and start porting them to PC regularly.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 13, 2015

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Free Symphonia and my pc is my main gaming machine nowadays anyways

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The White Dragon posted:

Pillars had just the right amount of wordiness, imo, where it wasn't so sparse that it left you wanting, but it also wasn't so plentiful that you just tuned it out.

I thought the backer stuff was a little obnoxious even if they were nice enough to mark it in gold so you knew you could ignore it. More games need to be like Undertale and troll backers by hiding their original characters to the point where almost nobody will find them without a guide.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Sleeveless posted:

I thought the backer stuff was a little obnoxious even if they were nice enough to mark it in gold so you knew you could ignore it. More games need to be like Undertale and troll backers by hiding their original characters to the point where almost nobody will find them without a guide.

Ideally the backers would have been stuffed into a single mass grave

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
These progress bars for pre-orders to unlock bonuses are never actually tied to pre-order numbers, are they? Do the bars just go up at regular intervals until they max out at some point before the game releases in order to drive more pre-orders? They never give actual numbers of how many pre-orders they need or get, and there doesn't seem to be any reason to risk not hitting the maximum goal and making it look like the publisher has overestimated demand for the game.

A good poster fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 13, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Though I felt that Wasteland 2 was still in a beta state a year or so after launch, and I seriously doubt the finished product (the Director's Edition, coming to you soon) will be anything other than extremely mediocre, since it doesn't have much of a foundation to build on - at least it made sense. At least poo poo made sense, I knew what all my (fairly limited) combat options were, and I knew why I was getting hosed whenever the occasion arose. I could optimize my party using handy guides and just slog through through the ending, with occasionally interesting story and writing bits along the way.

This was very much not the case for PoE. Absolutely no useful character optimization guides beyond "eh, just do whatever, she'll be right", and even after reading a bunch of guides on the MMO style combat, I still had no idea what made one try at the same encounter a crushing defeat and the next one an easy success (relatively speaking, because all combat encounters take for loving ever) (seriously, your average wood beetle fight lasts as long as a boss encounter in Wasteland) . I just gave up on it shortly after reaching the first major city.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Oct 8, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

I saw the conclusion to every single quest coming miles away, often during the initial setup, and that really ground down the quality of the rest of the writing whenever it managed to scrabble just above predictable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I love my crime dramas, but I tend to stay away from western fantasy fiction so while I can generally guess how this week's episode of Castle is set up, I'm not really familiar with common themes in WRPGs. There were plenty of surprises for me!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sleeveless posted:

I'm pretty sure that the dude who made Undertale hid the backer boss as per the backer's request. I mean, that's kind of a dick move to do to someone that gave you 500 dollars to make a thing.

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

Sleeveless posted:

That's just the one. There's another backer character that one has to run into to finish the game Muffet, and there are plenty of backer monsters in the game, like Aaron and Tsundereplane.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Xander77 posted:

This was very much not the case for PoE. Absolutely no useful character optimization guides beyond "eh, just do whatever, she'll be right", and even after reading a bunch of guides on the MMO style combat, I still had no idea what made one try at the same encounter a crashing defeat and the next one an easy success (relatively speaking, because all combat encounters take for loving ever) (seriously, your average wood beetle fight lasts as long as a boss encounter in Wasteland) . I just gave up on it shortly after reaching the first major city.

I didn't really care about the charStats but I thought the combat was pretty good in Pillars. It was the bland writing that made the game a drag.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I reinstalled Outrun 2006(RIP all you losers who didn't get it before it was pulled) to play again, what are some good super arcadey racers in that vein that have decent single player but are more recent? OR2k6 is still awesome, but so much of it has aged so terribly, especially the UI at higher resolutions.

They've only released a one-stage demo, but give DRIFT STAGE a shot.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I feel like Obsidian's writing is alright to good, but more in a book/novel style. Like I could appreciate it, but God it was grinding on me because it did not match the pace or style of a game, any game. It's the same reason New Vegas felt like it had similar quality writing as 3 even though the content itself is better, the delivery was worse.

The main things that are bad about Pillars is the terrible bland art direction and the slow, unrewarding combat. And the fact that there's no real motivation to actually follow the main quest for your character.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Bad art direction? The game looks goddamned great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a "I already own this game off Steam" button for games, so they can be added to influence what Steam shows me without having to subscribe or wishlist.

• Locked thread