Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Talas posted:

I played Root for the first time yesterday with the Marquise de Cat faction. I was kind of enjoying it until I got ganged up on over and over again... and frankly, it feels very lame that several players work together to give another player the win right after destroying your only chance.

I suppose I shouldn't have played a Dominance card, but with the Cats, it was really hard to keep up with the points of the other players as we were two newbies and two with a few plays of experience. Is it still like that after a few plays?

Nothing wrong with playing a dominance card but that is 100% putting a target on your back for every player to do everything in their power to disrupt you or else they lose. The other part about people ganging up on you and handing a win to someone else though sounds like they may have gone hogwild trying to stop you and forgot that there was the rest of the table that was ready to scoop up the remains. Root is a very fragile game and all it takes is someone not playing it properly to throw everything off (in my opinion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Talas posted:

I played Root for the first time yesterday with the Marquise de Cat faction. I was kind of enjoying it until I got ganged up on over and over again... and frankly, it feels very lame that several players work together to give another player the win right after destroying your only chance.

I suppose I shouldn't have played a Dominance card, but with the Cats, it was really hard to keep up with the points of the other players as we were two newbies and two with a few plays of experience. Is it still like that after a few plays?

The moment you play a dominance card, you're signaling exactly what you need to win to everyone on the map. Of course they're going to team up to prevent that immediate game ender. It's a much more specific thing that can be stopped, unlike the generally nebulous 'getting points' that is the standard victory.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Talas posted:

The cats are very good at dominance victories, and once you show that, people need to stomp on them quickly or they will win.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

admanb posted:

They merged with a game company that failed to disclose $350k of debt.

Wait, what? How does that happen? :stare:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Geekchic had a waiting list a year long and required payment upfront. I wonder if anyone was able to recoup their money from them.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Talas posted:

Also the cat faction begins with pieces spread out around the board, while all others start in a small area - it's natural for the cats to be the first faction each other player conflicts with

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Root is pretty much always a bitter experience when you get coalitioned - doubly so if those players don't know when to stop and coalition someone else. It is not a nice game. I think the only way to make it meaner would be hidden simultaneous moves ala Diplomacy.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Corbeau posted:

Wait, what? How does that happen? :stare:

This happens all of the time actually. If I remember correctly it was a major reason why toys r us went bankrupt recently.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pospysyl posted:

Apparently it's getting published by boardgametables.com? Reminds me of whattimeisit.com branching into streamable content in Bojack Horseman.

As long as Henry Fondle isn't running the company they should be fine.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Just pretend I posted the 'give it to me now' Colbert gif. This sounds awesome and kinda hosed up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Papes posted:

This happens all of the time actually. If I remember correctly it was a major reason why toys r us went bankrupt recently.

You do not remember correctly. Toys R us was acquired by a company with massive debt (Mitt Romney's Bain Capital) and then stuck with the loan that was taken out to buy it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Private equity like Bain is a blight upon the Earth. I am also curious about the aforementioned company though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

silvergoose posted:

Private equity like Bain is a blight upon the Earth. I am also curious about the aforementioned company though.

A leveraged buyout is kind of like aggressive chemotherapy for a company. The mortally ill patient either recovers and everyone's happy or they die painfully and penniless.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Talas posted:

When you're playing as the Cat you're going to feel ganged up on at the beginning. You have pieces on the entire board and both the Birds and Woodland Alliance are basically obligated to attack you. What you have to realize is that fighting isn't how to win: holding territory and building is. As long as you control enough empty building spaces to churn out VPs, everything else is just about holding back the other factions. Losing buildings isn't even a big deal unless they're Sawmills, since you can just rebuild them for the VP.

The Cats have a pretty good VP rate, but as a group of new players it's not obvious how to interfere with the Woodland Alliance (surround their sympathy tokens with Martial Law and don't give them sympathizers) and the Vagabond usually gets fed early items until they're unstoppable (don't feed the Vagabond early items) so Cats look weak. But the Cat is a lot harder to interfere than the WA/Birds/Vagabond once everyone knows what they're doing.

Birds have a similar issue, I think, where it's super obvious how to gently caress with the Birds and they're a big scary threat on the board, so most early games will end up being won by the WA or Vagabond.

Set
Oct 30, 2005
The Kickstarter thread was in a slapfight about flipping games so nobody answered me on this; is Level 7 [Omega Protocol] worth pulling the trigger on? Privateer Press is putting out a reprint of the game on Kickstarter, and the internet claims it to be a rather good dungeon crawler. I like the style, and it seems to have some interesting game mechanics as well. What's the hive mind's consensus on it?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Set posted:

The Kickstarter thread was in a slapfight about flipping games so nobody answered me on this; is Level 7 [Omega Protocol] worth pulling the trigger on? Privateer Press is putting out a reprint of the game on Kickstarter, and the internet claims it to be a rather good dungeon crawler. I like the style, and it seems to have some interesting game mechanics as well. What's the hive mind's consensus on it?

I've heard it is quite good, but is DM vs Player type of game. I was intrigued, but I'm not a fan of the DM style dungeon crawls anymore. Not game related, but the KS for it is so drat boring and PP seems equally bored about reprinting it. Really hard to get hyped up about it.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

I've heard it is quite good, but is DM vs Player type of game. I was intrigued, but I'm not a fan of the DM style dungeon crawls anymore. Not game related, but the KS for it is so drat boring and PP seems equally bored about reprinting it. Really hard to get hyped up about it.

I thought it was almost refreshing to see a Kickstarter without all the million different stretch goals and stuff. Just a reprint of a game that's been long out of circulation, simple and neat like that. :v:

Yeah, it's not totally cooperative but we do have Gloomhaven and stuff like that for that. I'd just like a little more complex Space Hulk, that can also accomodate more than 2 players.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Set posted:

I thought it was almost refreshing to see a Kickstarter without all the million different stretch goals and stuff. Just a reprint of a game that's been long out of circulation, simple and neat like that. :v:

Yeah, it's not totally cooperative but we do have Gloomhaven and stuff like that for that. I'd just like a little more complex Space Hulk, that can also accomodate more than 2 players.

I don't mind the crazy stretch goals and stuff for a product never intended to go to retail like this. They didn't even update anything or make any changes whatsoever. Might as well buy it second hand if the price is similar and play right now.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Set posted:

2018 has been great for these. Container, Estates, Stephenson's Rocket, Brass, and more. 2019 is looking great too: Pax Pamir/Porf, Age of Steam, and BattleCon so far. Hope Ginkopolis and Reef Encounter get reprinted at some point too :ohdear:

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

I don't mind the crazy stretch goals and stuff for a product never intended to go to retail like this. They didn't even update anything or make any changes whatsoever. Might as well buy it second hand if the price is similar and play right now.

That's the thing, apparently it's been really hard to get a hold of. That is at least true for my neck of the woods.

To me it seems they've actually fixed some of the rules and updated the boards and some of the miniatures? They looked a little different when I compared to pictures from boardgamegeek at least. Maybe closer to a version 1.5, rather than a true second edition.

But yeah, if it ain't going to retail, then going hog wild with the stretch goals is obviously the way to go if you want to maximize your final sum of Kickstarter cash. Looks like they just wanted to reprint the game, and used Kickstarter as a gauge to see how much interest there is. Doesn't hurt if the game is basically done and all you need to do is update some minor components along the way. :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ye gods, The Faceless will do some horrible things to you. loving magnets, how do they work?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

2018 has been great for these. Container, Estates, Stephenson's Rocket, Brass, and more. 2019 is looking great too: Pax Pamir/Porf, Age of Steam, and BattleCon so far. Hope Ginkopolis and Reef Encounter get reprinted at some point too :ohdear:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1909992/do-you-want-reprint/page/13

It's like they don't want money.

Key Market is getting reprtined tho, that's cool.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Looks like Container might lapse back into the status of "out of print grail game":

quote:

Hello everyone,

Those of you who follow us on Twitter will not be surprised by this news, but we wanted to post it here as well.

Due to rising material costs, today we are confirming that Mercury Games does not expect to create any more printings of the Jumbo Edition of Container despite the number of backorders which have piled up since the game went out of print very soon after the retail release this past Summer.

We knew going into the project that in order to deliver the quality of game that we wanted for our customers we would need to accept reduced margins and also to rely heavily on preorder/Kickstarter support. We're grateful that our fanbase delivered on this support and we got to make the game the way we felt it deserved to be published. Thank you to everyone who made this project possible.

But this also means that with a sharp rise in material costs the Jumbo edition cannot, for the foreseeable future, return to in-print status.

We are presently looking at other options since Container remains a hot property with a lot of people still looking for copies (as evidenced by the number of backorders we've received). However, at this stage, we do not expect to see Container return in any form any time soon, and even less likely in the same Jumbo Edition (barring a sharp drop in materials cost or a change in production technology).

For those still looking for a copy, all is not lost: If you act quickly there are still a couple/few retailers with stock of the game. For example, our Canadian partner, BoardgameBliss, still has copies in stock for a reasonable price (and they ship to the US). In addition, we still have a couple dozen copies that we managed to locate which are now available on our website.

Finally, in order to ensure that we had something to show, we saved a couple dozen copies which we will bring to BGG.con in a couple of weeks.

Not the greatest news for Container, certainly, as it has been our best-selling game. It may not be the end of the Container story just yet, but certainly the close of a chapter.

For those of you planning on backing our upcoming Kickstarter for Big City, please be aware that we now estimate the same potential issue arising in that production too, but it may be difficult to print more after that since it's an even more ambitious project. Big City will certainly not come to life without the continued support of our fanbase.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

they better send me the extra containers they promised after screwing up the first extra batch

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In this world where media increasingly becomes digital we still cling to physical toys even though it's killing us *rips down family photos to install fourth kallax*

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Container could fit in the Bohnanza box with sensible components.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
and they called me mad, MAD for jumping on the kickstarter

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Container should just be a card game with little cubes. Phil Eklund's Container.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

For those of you planning on backing our upcoming Kickstarter for Big City, please be aware that we now estimate the same potential issue arising in that production too, but it may be difficult to print more after that since it's an even more ambitious project. Big City will certainly not come to life without the continued support of our fanbase.

well gee we could go with a different strategy that doesn't rely on oversized overproduced components, or we could go full steam ahead

full steam ahead!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Man I am really glad I never unwrapped my Container, that’ll be a good flip in a year or so

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fellis posted:

Man I am really glad I never unwrapped my Container, that’ll be a good flip in a year or so

Play good games, jerk >:(

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Giant plastic ships $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my game company is dying

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my game company is dying

Buy less plastic ships

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

Buy less plastic ships

No.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

cenotaph posted:

Container could fit in the Bohnanza box with sensible components.

My copy of Container fits into a smaller box than Codenames (though deeper).

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Utility $150

Just think, if they'd just used wood instead of plastic, they'd have gotten a better review on Shut Up Sit Down and they wouldn't have . . . somewhat ironically . . . had their manufacturing cost pipeline thrown into disarray by Trump's tariffs on Chinese imports

al-azad
May 28, 2009

People call out Splotter for being too expensive for the quality of components but Splotter is economically smart because they know what's sustainable.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

My copy of Container fits into a smaller box than Codenames (though deeper).

Which pnp did you use?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

al-azad posted:

Play good games, jerk >:(

I’ve played Container! I also spent $20 at gencon on enough random wooden bits (mostly catan) to pnp my own copy of Container that will fit in a small box. I wouldn’t mind getting my money back on overproduced Container.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

al-azad posted:

People call out Splotter for being too expensive for the quality of components but Splotter is economically smart because they know what's sustainable.

It's not the quality of the components, it's the quality of their art design (which is garbage)