Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I went on vacation for a few days and bought octopath right before I left. I wish I brought my charger because I didn't anticipate liking it so much. The art style is really cool and combat is pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

JawnV6 posted:

Huh, how did it overcome the NTSC television I had it plugged into and surreptitiously double its output? That sounds like some amazing tech!

Behind the scenes

https://twitter.com/jawnv6/status/1027746598023913473

(NTSC was 60 fields per second or 30 frames per second. 480i is 60 interlaced fields per second, which is what the NES output in NTSC regions)

edit to correct: NES output at 240i, but it was still an interlaced signal that updated 60 times per second. This is why old emulator videos on YouTube (when it was limited to 30 FPS) messed up "transparency effects" in NES games where a sprite would flash visible/invisible every other field. On YouTube they'd appear completely visible or completely invisible.

creationist believer fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 10, 2018

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Minit is short but fun!

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
In more serious Okami chat, it still feels like an older game despite the HD sheen. The camera feels like it moves slower than I’d expect, and the default camera axes are reversed from what you’d expect them to be 2018 (thankfully you can change that). Gyro aiming to draw isn’t ideal, so far the stick has been doing fine for me with the basic shapes I’ve been given so far. The PS2-era blur effects took a bit to get used to, I’m surprised they kept those.

It is even more Zeldaesque than I expected, right down to the annoying, overbearing advice fairy. Seems like the requirements to 100% it are nuts though, I guess you have to feed every single animal in the game? I thought it was just feed every type of animal until I noticed the percentage marker...

[Edit: also, the fact that both Okami and Twilight Princess came out in the same year strikes me as odd. Capcom had made Zelda titles in the past, I wonder how which of the two decided on the Zelda+wolf combo first...]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 10, 2018

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Nine Parchments okay if you play solo?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Honestly I wouldn't have an answer because I've only played original NES hw (and emulators) on modern screens but yeah a ton of the good games push an easy 60 iirc

At any rate the dead cell performance is a bummer because it's such a good game and doesn't deserve this!! Kinda like never being able to play bloodborne at a rock solid 60...:smith:

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Honestly I wouldn't have an answer because I've only played original NES hw (and emulators) on modern screens but yeah a ton of the good games push an easy 60 iirc

At any rate the dead cell performance is a bummer because it's such a good game and doesn't deserve this!! Kinda like never being able to play bloodborne at a rock solid 60...:smith:

NES games didn't drop frames, they just slowed down a lot

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Okami is 100% the product of its time and remember, this thing originally shipped without being able to skip cutscenes so hooooooboy.

That said, theres a reason that for a lot of people the best console Zelda game between Majoras Mask and Breath o the Wild is Okami.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

EightFlyingCars posted:

NES games didn't drop frames, they just slowed down a lot

:dogcited:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

creationist believer posted:

Teleroboxer ruled and, while I appreciate fresh new IPs, part of me wishes ARMS was a Teleroboxer reboot.

If arms was the exact same and called Teleroboxer I would have bought it excitedly. I have insane nostalgia for that kick rear end game.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Kirby Star Allies going to get more DLC or is this it? I thought they said there would be 3 packs but I forgot.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Rolo posted:

If arms was the exact same and called Teleroboxer I would have bought it excitedly. I have insane nostalgia for that kick rear end game.

We shouldn't forget how much Virtual Boy was ahead of its time with its controller design. The symmetrical layout with two D-Pads to control 3D games (before single analog control sticks were a thing, let alone dual analog), the trigger-like L and R buttons, etc. Virtual Boy was a tech demo rushed into being a product, but there was a lot of genius game, hardware, and software design elements in it.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
this switch port of okami is pretty much the definitive version in my eyes if only because of being able to use the touch screen for paint mode. it works sooooooo well

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

Housh posted:

Nintendo is going to add a usb-c connected VR headset and you can use the gyro controls on the controller

it will destroy PSVR

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finished Minit, that was fun. Only 59% items though.

How can I get tentacles that are too far for a thrown sword in the middle of the water?

How can I get to that guy down the toxic river? (I had five hearts if I had one more I could have made it)

How can I get on the little island with bushes blocking it since you can't swing while swimming?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I don't quite have 20/20 vision (I'm off by 0.5 and don't wear glasses) so VR gives me a headache fairly quickly..

That being said I would still be excited for Nintendo VR.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

psychoJ posted:

this switch port of okami is pretty much the definitive version in my eyes if only because of being able to use the touch screen for paint mode. it works sooooooo well
Yeah between that and HD rumble I think I’m gonna want to double dip...or triple if you count the original I guess.

Edit: I have so many other games to play right now though, including Higurashi which is like a hundred hours long.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Dragon Ball FighterZ beta is active now. The game looks and runs pretty drat well imo.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Dragon Ball FighterZ beta is active now. The game looks and runs pretty drat well imo.
Downloading even though I should be playing Octopath

This game already came out for ps4 right?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

I keep getting a failed to initialize network error. I'm guessing it's because of everyone logging in right now.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i think it comes out in march next year

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Coxswain Balls posted:

I keep getting a failed to initialize network error. I'm guessing it's because of everyone logging in right now.

Same, not letting me in.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
man switch is getting all sorts of crazy rear end games and I just don't know what to do with myself

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I’m still downloading. This better not be like street fighter open beta nightmare. I think that beta made me not buy the game and totally stop giving a poo poo about street fighter

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

a.lo posted:

i think it comes out in march next year

Comes out in September.

EDIT: Why do ArcSys games have the worst menus imaginable?:lol:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Aug 10, 2018

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Does DBZ have a tutorial/training mode once you finally log in? I can only get as far as choosing a lobby before getting booted out again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think their servers are hosed. I can’t get into anything now.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

This music is amazing

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wanna play Fighterz so bad

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

How long does the beta run? I’m going to bed, kids.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Housh posted:

How long does the beta run? I’m going to bed, kids.

August 9, 2018 at 9:00 PM to August 11, 2018 at 11:59 PM (PDT)

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Finished Iconoclasts the other night, I know some of you guys weren't over the moon with it and I guess I'm not either but definitely I liked it and don't regret the purchase/play through.
First of all the pixel art is top tier and the animation is superb, a lot of pixel art games usually lack in one or the other but the 8 years spent developing the game really shows.
I found the puzzles and gameplay mechanics very intuitive, I think they did a pretty good job at introducing elements one by one and then combining and ramping things up. That said I did find some of the combat to be confusing sometimes, certain enemies can only be killed in certain ways without any real reason.
I liked the story overall, the themes were pretty straight forward and I enjoyed most of the characters and dialog- even if it was a bit wordy at times.

As a metroidvania it was a bit lacking, there's a few sidequests that aren't especially rewarding and hunting for the resources isn't very appealing since the tweaks themselves feel kinda pointless. The only tweak I really used was the dodge/dive maneuver and to be honest they should have just made that part of the default gameplay.
But I'd say the areas are the right size for what you do in them and there's little to no backtracking unless you choose to do so.

I enjoyed the game, I guess mainly for the beautiful pixel art and probably the gameplay next. It plays well but doesn't do a lot you haven't seen before in other games.
I would recommend it to anyone who loves metroidvanias and pixel art, and perhaps also for the story if you're critical of organized religion

Now I've moved on to Okami, I tried to play it back on the PS2 when it came out but I couldn't get passed my dislike for the PS2 analogue sticks.
So I'm really glad to finally play it and by all accounts this sounds like the best version. I'm enjoying what I've played so far, only a few small niggles with the text being incredibly slow sometimes and the camera controls being pretty slow too

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Inzombiac posted:

Nine Parchments okay if you play solo?

I would strongly expect not.

Most of the joy of that game comes from either accidentally hitting your allies or combining your beams in creative ways only to have at least one of you mess up your aim and accidentally hit your allies.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Can we talk about how the demo for Valkyria Chronicles 4 is essentially the same as the rest of the series?

I mean, it’s fun and all but all we got is a new mortar unit? Aside from that it’s just the same? I haven’t played a VC game in years, so I think I’m coming back to the party a bit late.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Presentation warts and all is the same poo poo as valkerye Chronicles one and it's a slog due to no QoL improvements. Are sega devs kept in cryro to avoid learning?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Lemme in to a lobby so I can play DBFZ! :argh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Junkie Disease posted:

Presentation warts and all is the same poo poo as valkerye Chronicles one and it's a slog due to no QoL improvements. Are sega devs kept in cryro to avoid learning?
They changed all the games after 1 in dumb ways and what they learned from that is “don’t change”.

I am about a third of the way through the game but haven’t played it in months.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Lemme in to a lobby so I can play DBFZ! :argh:

Dammit I just want to beat up on people with Yamcha

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Different strokes for different folks. In my original post, I didn’t mean to imply that Dead Cells was better than Hollow Knight (I haven’t tried it)

Hollow Knight didn’t really click with me. The story is purposefully vague (told through the atmosphere of the game), similar to Breath of the Wild. I like a challenge, but the game feels unforgiving at times, especially when you’re lost looking for a map and then die (and lose everything). I could “get gud”, but I’m enjoying Octopath Traveler, Nine Parchments and Golf Story more at the moment

I will chime in as another Hollow Knight hater. I bought Hollow Knight on PC and just didn't enjoy it and refunded it, then I tried again on Switch because I figured it would make a good handheld game. Something about the controls and physics of movement just feels fundamentally wrong, there's way too much air control and I feel like I can't ever move the way I'm intending or hoping to with my old man reflexes. I haven't made it far enough for it to become challenging but every time I think about picking it up I talk myself out of it because I know I'm going to get frustrated by just trying to move around the environment.

Huge fan of Metroidvanias in general, they're one of the few genres where I actually tend to finish games, but I haven't played more than about an hour of HK. I got just far enough to get the dash on PC before giving up, and I got the fireball on Switch before losing interest :shrug:

The worst gaming opinion I will share publicly is that I'm way more excited for Salt & Sanctuary on switch than Hollow Knight.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I should say about VC4 that the fact that allied and enemy mortars can fire during each other’s turn really changes how you have to do things later on. Also, the enemy has antitank weapons that can fire during your turn. There are some changes to the formula here and there.

Stage ranking is still 100% turn count though. Clearly they’re planning to take that gameplay element to their grave.

• Locked thread