Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Fallout 76 is a decent game. Not great or anything, but not deserving of somehow thinking less of someone for enjoying playing it which is actually insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Fallout 76 is a decent game. Not great or anything, but not deserving of somehow thinking less of someone for enjoying playing it which is actually insane.

Good joke there guy

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
i really wish i'd grabbed a copy of wolf 09 now but at the time i was sick of raven's mediocre bullshit (the objectively bad quake 4, the objectively bad soldier of fortune 2)

i played singularity years later and was really surprised by it. apparently they're the lead dev on this year's call of duty and designed the campaign, i'm interested to see how it turns out.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
All other things aside, my issue with GGMan was that he just always seemed so...dispassionate about everything he reviewed. Even when the words made it sound like he really enjoyed something, he still usually delivered them with this flat, rapid-fire cadence that a lot of Youtubers inexplicably use. I'm not asking for some googly-eyed over-caffeinated take on everything, but there was just so little personality there--it reminds me of somebody reading through a Trust document at a relatively fast pace. Compare that with somebody like a Mr. Kravin or a Civvie, who have an element of charm and personality to them, and it feels like I'm getting briefed on the state of vidya james.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It was infamously terrible.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was infamously terrible.

I'm willing to bet you like at least one terrible game.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Stunt_enby posted:

it's not really worth it RE postal 2, the gunplay is mediocre and the "humor" sucks poo poo. its open world approach/interactivity was kind of novel for the time but doesn't hold up

I tried loving around with Postal 2 because of Civvie's vids and it was on sale for under a dollar at one point, and all I came away from it was the thought "This could be a fun game if it was made by almost anyone else."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm willing to bet you like at least one terrible game.

Almost certainly but I wouldn't make a video or whatever about how it's actually good.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

I tried loving around with Postal 2 because of Civvie's vids and it was on sale for under a dollar at one point, and all I came away from it was the thought "This could be a fun game if it was made by almost anyone else."

Yeah the thing about Postal 2 is that it's kind of an immersive sim - it has that whole open, heavily interactive world where you are free to do things basically however you want. But it's an immersive sim done on the cheap made by guys with the sensibilities of teenage edgelords.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I like Civvie because he says like what i was feeling as a kid about DOOM Duke3d and Blood

I really hope he says what my dad thought of Redneck Rampage since that was Dad's favorite old FPS

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Postal 1 has possibly the worst controls of all time (I think Steam version may have fixed this) and Postal 2 is a game you can't play once you've graduated middle school.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

verbal enema posted:

I like Civvie because he says like what i was feeling as a kid about DOOM Duke3d and Blood

I really hope he says what my dad thought of Redneck Rampage since that was Dad's favorite old FPS

Yeah my Step-Dad loved that game too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Postal 1 has possibly the worst controls of all time (I think Steam version may have fixed this) and Postal 2 is a game you can't play once you've graduated middle school.

I just tried it since it’s free on Steam and they did fix the controls I guess. Just feels like a pretty simplistic twin stick shooter with a controller.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I don't get the Postal 2 hate that always comes up in this thread. It 100% has a middle school sense of humor that is at points deplorable but you have so many tools at your disposal to just mess with the game that I thought it was really fun. Throwing a Molotov at an elephant and watching it rage on a marching band with jank physics is way funny.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Basically, immediately install one of the sandbox mode mods instead of playing the campaign.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I liked the sledgehammer from Postal 2. That's pretty much it.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

azurite posted:

I liked the sledgehammer from Postal 2. That's pretty much it.

The casual nature of the gas can is pretty consistently funny, too, I gotta admit.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I maintain that pissing in peoples mouths to make them vomit, lopping their head off with a shovel causing a stream of vomit to fountain from their neck hole is still pretty funny.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Civvies Postal videos are fun to watch(well except maybe that one horrible Russian jank mod), but yeah Postal 2 is really clunky to actually play

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

drrockso20 posted:

Civvies Postal videos are fun to watch(well except maybe that one horrible Russian jank mod), but yeah Postal 2 is really clunky to actually play

That Russian one is insane. It certainly was a choice to have them poorly speak English.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Huh, The Last Stand is going to become an official update for Left 4 Dead 2.

https://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=64861

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDymu9xC25o

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
Hi. Would you like to sign my petition?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Laffo the L4D page telling me I can still buy it on the 360.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Laffo the L4D page telling me I can still buy it on the 360.

I think it might be one of those games for the 360 that have gotten repackaged as One games due to backwards compatibility

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah my Step-Dad loved that game too

I dont think he ever got far but he did get drunk and yell

WE DON'T TAKE NO poo poo FROM NO SUCKERS
and
YEEEEEHAWWWWWW!

rip pops you were a clown lmao

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Angry_Ed posted:

Was the NOLF 2 story really that nutty compared to NOLF 1 or is this more a generalized thing? I never really got a chance to play it (and still haven't tried messing with the Windows 10 version someone hacked together)

No, I'd say NOLF 2 and Shadow of War have been exceptions. It was just strange that they had three series do kind of the same thing, sequel-wise.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

All other things aside, my issue with GGMan was that he just always seemed so...dispassionate about everything he reviewed. Even when the words made it sound like he really enjoyed something, he still usually delivered them with this flat, rapid-fire cadence that a lot of Youtubers inexplicably use. I'm not asking for some googly-eyed over-caffeinated take on everything, but there was just so little personality there--it reminds me of somebody reading through a Trust document at a relatively fast pace. Compare that with somebody like a Mr. Kravin or a Civvie, who have an element of charm and personality to them, and it feels like I'm getting briefed on the state of vidya james.

The only real appeal he had to me is that he gave a second chance to games of the 2008-2012 era that kind of got too much hate when they came out. He also helped me discover games like DUSK and lesser-known indie titles. Besides that, his videos don't really stand out to me, quality-wise and he's an aggressively unfunny guy (he's either got meme humor or that "better than sniffing crack off of a model's rear end" joke that's in like half his videos).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
jammin some Goldeneye 64 tracks and i gotta say having the Goldeneye theme in most of the songs is pretty boss

Yall ever hear the remixes that some Russian cat did and layered rap songs over em?

https://youtu.be/U1rBRj7bFY0

poo poo was on grooveshark but i don't even know if that site still exists!!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Im bored so imma talk about my dad a little more

I remember the best Christmas ever when i got my n64 and the only games that my parents bought were Diddy Kong Racing ( hell yeah ) and DOOM64 and loving hell did DOOM64 blow my little mind away. The absolute darkness of the first few levels hosed me up so much. Dad loved it but hated the 64 controller so he'd often get mad and go play 1993 lmao

I dont think I've ever played DOOM64 without cheats i should rectify that

Dad also loved Duke3d and again i don't think he ever got far he loved to just cheat his way through the levels and check poo poo out. He showed me how to make the strippers show da boobies hell yeah Dad.

Dad always liked shooters but preferred RTS games like AoE and AoK but that lunatic did love to boot up e1m1 and just blast some easy demons. Or he'd just watch the demo loops on Redneck Rampage. MDK though, goddamn, he loved that game. The movement the auto aim the goofy helmet sniper rifle. He always laughed whrn sniping because Kurt puts his chain gun into his helmet?? And ive mentioned this before but the one miniboss in MDK where you're on some platforms with the rolly ball spawners underneath and the pendulum up top and everything reflects the absurd sky box was when I first heard him say "These graphics are WICKED" . I'm pretty sure he honestly felt MDK was the pinnacle.

Several years later we showed him Crysis and he was just blown away. also he had a pcgamer AND a pcaccelerator subscription.

Y'all remember pcaccelerator? Their demo disk had hot babes in the background hell yeah those are where i found out about Revenant that cool iso rpg and Mob Rule or Street Wars depending on where ya was
Beatdown? Yeah that game sucked dick

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER ABOMINATION? THAT hosed UP BODY HORROR XCOM RIPOFF?

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 27, 2020

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Your dad owned. The Goldeneye and Perfect Dark soundtracks absolutely rip and are flat out some of the best ones in gaming imo.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

verbal enema posted:

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER ABOMINATION? THAT hosed UP BODY HORROR XCOM RIPOFF?

i had a cool demo disc with abomination that had a fold out cardboard jewel case that was split 50/50 between abomination and shogun total war. the art for abomination made a big impact on me but i dont think i ever got round to playing it

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

John Romero did an AMA in the Doom subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ih673u/hi_reddit_my_name_is_john_romero_and_i_am_the/

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Could someone do me a huge and upload just the YEEEEEHAWWWW at 1:26 so i can have a extra good notification sound on da phone

https://youtu.be/_wSf9eHl1AQ

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i had a cool demo disc with abomination that had a fold out cardboard jewel case that was split 50/50 between abomination and shogun total war. the art for abomination made a big impact on me but i dont think i ever got round to playing it

it kinda sucked but was so so cool to look at

I had a Pcgamer that had Abomination as its like cover fold out and wow just ya dont get that feeling anymore IM OLD gently caress

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Oh yeah the Redneck Rampage ost is absurdly good

loved to pop that into the CD player tape player combo radio i had

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://youtu.be/Aq8d3095gok

NUTURE MY PIG

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
cool dad. more cool dad posts. my dad thinks games never got better then daytona usa

and he's right

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
my dad taught me how to use the computer so we could play doom, wolf3d, and monkey island.

i while ago I asked him why he doesn't play games anymore and his primarily complaint is that they are both too difficult and no longer have cheat codes to balance it out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Relax Or DIE posted:

i while ago I asked him why he doesn't play games anymore and his primarily complaint is that they are both too difficult and no longer have cheat codes to balance it out.

Tell him about the magical ~ key.

Also there are lots of games that are quite easy. Get him Skyrim and tell him to focus on sneaking and archery.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Adnor posted:

Huh, The Last Stand is going to become an official update for Left 4 Dead 2.

https://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=64861

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDymu9xC25o

This is pretty surprising, I thought l4d2 would never receive a real update again (apart from bug fixes). It makes sense that it's a community made update though, I don't think Valve themselves care that much about this game any more.

Will be fun to get back into l4d to play this though, time to assemble the old gang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
My dad and I used to play Doom together but he could never make the jump into 3d.

He spent most of the Half-Life hazard course looking at the floor and then drowned. Think he mostly plays iPad games now.