Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Azza Bamboo posted:

f you do that in a way that feeds specific people specific false information, then you know who your leaker may well be on the basis of what they leak

This is known as a “mole trap”.

e: Wikipedia renamed it to make me look bad. They have it under “canary trap” because some hack writer once called it that in a novel.

I successfully devised and deployed a mole trap once, though it was just in an online game.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Spermando posted:

How do film and game companies enforce their NDAs? If you've got hundreds of people animating Antman going up Thanos' rear end, how do you get them to not spill the beans anonymously on the internet? Even in the most highly anticipated releases you get one source at most.

Also people who work for the companies aren’t exactly thinking, “hey, I want to ruin the surprises in this movie I’m killing myself for.”

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Platystemon posted:

This is known as a “mole trap”.

TIL

Another thing I want to add to the discussion is that a lot of "leaks" made by these companies are straight from the comms department, if you get my meaning: they're just advertising but made to look like juicy inside info if either they don't want to appear to be making promises about what was exposed or just think that it'll draw some attention.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Anyone remember an old Flash game where you had an arrangement of stars in the sky, and you changed the viewing angle until the stars arranged an image?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

IMJack posted:

Anyone remember an old Flash game where you had an arrangement of stars in the sky, and you changed the viewing angle until the stars arranged an image?

I can't remember the name myself, but there's a neat thread for "what's that game?" questions who are usually great with these https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2925708

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Two questions:

1: How do you clean/unclog this type of drain? I've recently moved into a flat that has them in the bathrooms and I've no idea how to deal with it.

2: My oven has these stupid buttons alongside the clock that I somehow keep pressing by accident and starting a timer. Is there something I could stick over or in front of them to prevent them from being pressed? They don't need to be accessible at all as I never use them intentionally, and I'd even be happy to cover up the clock.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

As someone who literally just unclogged their bathroom sink with that type of plug 5 minutes before coming here it was easy. Simply dump a bunch of drain cleaner from the supermarket in and wait the required time before flushing it with the tap running hot. Worked a treat. This was not something completely blocked though, just partial flow obstruction.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Those look like capacitive buttons so covering them with anything non-conductive should work to stop them from being pressed. For example, you could use electrical tape.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tiggum posted:

Two questions:

1: How do you clean/unclog this type of drain? I've recently moved into a flat that has them in the bathrooms and I've no idea how to deal with it.

The metal plug is usually threaded and tightened onto a bolt in the mechanism that raises/lowers it. Try twisting it off.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Two questions:

I've got similar plugs and can just pull them out, then clean their underside and the drain itself as normal. If it's stuck in place, try rotating it until they come out. Also yeah, just plain drain cleaner right in there tends to work just fine.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 11, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Those look like capacitive buttons
They're not, unfortunately. You can operate them by poking them with a pen or a glove. They're just those really shallow buttons that look flat but do actually press.

Azza Bamboo posted:

The metal plug is usually threaded and tightened onto a bolt in the mechanism that raises/lowers it. Try twisting it off.
Thanks, that got it. :-)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Platystemon posted:

I successfully devised and deployed a mole trap once, though it was just in an online game.

That sounds like a good story!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

That sounds like a good story!

The game was BLOC, “a multiplayer political simulation game on the web”, “a Cold War simulator where you play your own third world country”. Using real‐life counterespionage techniques to catch a mole was definitely the highlight of my time there, but that makes it sound more impressive than it was.

Goons had a bloc of nations organized via IRC and a dedicated webforum. Screenshots of our private forum were found, I forget if it was in a rival bloc’s private forum where we had our own spies or in the game’s public forum. I think it was the latter. Either way, this was noticed by our people almost immediately and brought to IRC.

This was a time of day when most of the users were offline. I asked if we had access logs on the forum. We did. The webmaster turned on more detailed logging in anticipation of ongoing mole activity.

Only a handful of users had visited all of the leaked topics, so our mole had practically fingered themselves already. I eliminated some of the suspects by determining which browser’s rendering engine was at work in the screenshot.

Our barium was the mole’s own ban notice. We kicked all remaining suspects, and our mole positively identified themselves by screenshotting and posting theirs.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Platystemon posted:

The game was BLOC, “a multiplayer political simulation game on the web”, “a Cold War simulator where you play your own third world country”. Using real‐life counterespionage techniques to catch a mole was definitely the highlight of my time there, but that makes it sound more impressive than it was.

Goons had a bloc of nations organized via IRC and a dedicated webforum. Screenshots of our private forum were found, I forget if it was in a rival bloc’s private forum where we had our own spies or in the game’s public forum. I think it was the latter. Either way, this was noticed by our people almost immediately and brought to IRC.

This was a time of day when most of the users were offline. I asked if we had access logs on the forum. We did. The webmaster turned on more detailed logging in anticipation of ongoing mole activity.

Only a handful of users had visited all of the leaked topics, so our mole had practically fingered themselves already. I eliminated some of the suspects by determining which browser’s rendering engine was at work in the screenshot.

Our barium was the mole’s own ban notice. We kicked all remaining suspects, and our mole positively identified themselves by screenshotting and posting theirs.

Similarly, I think I remember Brian Krebs writing about a carding forum using different background colors per user (unbeknownst to them) so it was very simple to tell which user leaked something just from a screenshot, even if they blacked out any of their own information.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Spermando posted:

How do film and game companies enforce their NDAs? If you've got hundreds of people animating Antman going up Thanos' rear end, how do you get them to not spill the beans anonymously on the internet? Even in the most highly anticipated releases you get one source at most.

I know some folks in the tv & film industry and from what I've heard, it operates almost entirely on personal connections and reputation. Unless they really don't give a poo poo about their future contracts, it probably isn't worth the hassle. It's mostly gig work, so there isn't really any job security if you burn your bridges. I guess NDAs play a role as well, but I think it's secondary.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Having worked for a little bit under nda, it's not nearly as juicy or tempting as it seems from the outside. There's a huge risk and 0 reward to leaking that stuff. You'd need to really value the attention but also be fine with not actually claiming any fame or reputation from it.

Functionally, there's little difference between leaking "ant man flies up thanos's butt" and there being a bunch of stories about that, and just waiting for the movie to come out and then those same stories get written but later.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tiggum posted:

Two questions:

If you do not have the screwtop type that someone else mentioned (I don't think you do), here's what you'll need to do. Under the sink behind the pipe there will be a little lever. It will be connected to the drain stopper mechanism above the sink. This is how the stopper works. At the back of the pipe, the lever will be connected via a cap that unscrews. Don't unscrew it yet. Put the end of a screwdriver or something in the stopper so it doesn't close shut or you'll have to work to get it out.

Now unscrew the little cap and pull the bar out of the back of the pipe. Your drain stopper will fall hopefully onto the item you put in place before. Pull drain stopper out. Try not to gag at the sight of all the poo poo built up on it. Clean the stopper with whatever bathroom cleaner you have handy and a paper towel or something. Put stopper back in place. Feed the rod from the back into the hole on the stopper, verify you have it in the right place by partially screwing in the cap and moving the drain stopper lever above the sink to see if the stopper moves. If not, unscrew the cap, readjust the stopper and lever until they are connected, and then tighten everything back up. Run water when done and check for leaks. Marvel at how quickly your sink drains.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
To reiterate, I cannot overstate how loving gross that ball will be.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If cleaning the stopper doesn't do it, you might also want to open up and clean the P trap. Similar levels of gag but very effective. It's most likely PVC or ABS with threaded fittings, just unscrew them and remember how they go to put it back on. Have a bucket underneath when you undo it to catch water.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

how well would one of those spinny drain snakes work for cleaning out the pipes? or are those only for removing clogs?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Is it completely clogged or a slow drain?

Draino and one of those cheap plastic snakes will probably do you. If you're going to put an actual plumbing snake down the drain you need to pull the stopper first.

They even sell a gel with a plastic snake you can throw away, because you probably don't want to deal with cleaning a real snake and storing it.

Drano Gel Drain Clog Remover and Cleaner 16oz and Snake Plus Tool 16 inches, Unclogs tough blockages, Commercial Line https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005177XU2/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_D9HB814E1CXZG8SJSKAC

Edit: You can probably find it cheaper in person at Home Depot/Walmart/Target etc

Ironhead fucked around with this message at 02:24 on May 12, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you do not have the screwtop type that someone else mentioned (I don't think you do)

I do.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Goon Boots posted:

how well would one of those spinny drain snakes work for cleaning out the pipes? or are those only for removing clogs?

Snakes like that are mainly for getting big clogs out of the way. You start to feed the snake into the drain, and when you hit an obstruction (or corner) you spin the snake till it grabs the clog or moves past the corner. You'll pull some nasty poo poo out of drains when snaking them.

That's what I get for not reading! Glad you got your drain cleared. Also, even if the cap unscrews, you should be able to still pull the whole mechanism in the method I described.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Snakes like that are mainly for getting big clogs out of the way. You start to feed the snake into the drain, and when you hit an obstruction (or corner) you spin the snake till it grabs the clog or moves past the corner. You'll pull some nasty poo poo out of drains when snaking them.

Anecdotally these plastic snakes work really well. When I've had to snake drains in the past I usually pour a pot full boiling water down first to loosen everything up, and then the snake pulls out what appears to be an entire head's worth of hair + other miscellaneous disgusting gunk.

In our last place we had to remove the u-bend because someone had apparently filled the thing up with sand (???) and no amount of snaking could get it out.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The drain snakes work well if you live in tiny retrofitted European apartments, where sometimes sinks drain directly into the shower drain, so the U-bend isn't accessible.

Don't go that route unless it's absolutely necessary though - because then you have to find a place to store your nasty rear end drain snake.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Nasty rear end Drain Snake is a fantastic band name.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
I was reading up on how bishoprics work, and one of the requirements for promotion from Bishop to Archbishop is that "Archbishops must have a great knowledge of catholic theology and law". What does a Catholic law entail and how does that gel with being present in several countries with their own laws?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

OscarDiggs posted:

I was reading up on how bishoprics work, and one of the requirements for promotion from Bishop to Archbishop is that "Archbishops must have a great knowledge of catholic theology and law". What does a Catholic law entail and how does that gel with being present in several countries with their own laws?
The religion thread - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955347 - will probably be able to give you more details on that.

I think generally "catholic law" is mostly about internal church processes, what can get you excommunicated, how marriage and divorce works, etc. I don't think it's used anywhere as like, a replacement for the criminal/civil law systems. There are some places it conflicts though - confession is supposed to be *absolutely secret*, with the priest not supposed to disclose anything in any circumstances, which conflicts with mandatory reporting laws in some jurisdictions.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

OscarDiggs posted:

Canon law is the term you're looking for, and yeah it's pretty much just the internal rules and regulations of the organization.

Edit: back in the day it did run in place of or in competition with the secular legal systems (which was one of the big sticking points between the Tudors and the Pope), but these days it's just how the church runs itself

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 12, 2022

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I’m not an expert or anything but my understanding is “catholic law” is law that governs the internal processes of the church. So basically they’re separate bodies of law and one doesn’t really have bearing on the other except that catholic law can’t require you to do something against national law (and vice versa).

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.
FWIW plumbers recommend never putting stuff like Drano down your pipes, especially if the pipes are old and especially if you own the pipes.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

FWIW plumbers recommend never putting stuff like Drano down your pipes, especially if the pipes are old and especially if you own the pipes.

Let me guess, they suggest you call a plumber instead?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Is the word "chomo" offensive? I have never actually used it nor do I have any particular desire to do so, but I see it more often these days and it sounds like it should be offensive

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Is the word "chomo" offensive? I have never actually used it nor do I have any particular desire to do so, but I see it more often these days and it sounds like it should be offensive

Well, a quick (unfortunate) google says that is a prison term for "Child Molester", so yeah, I'm gonna say it's probably meant to be offensive.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

CzarChasm posted:

Well, a quick (unfortunate) google says that is a prison term for "Child Molester", so yeah, I'm gonna say it's probably meant to be offensive.

I mean offensive in general for anyone to use, rather than being offensive to the person it's applied to

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Manager Hoyden posted:

I mean offensive in general for anyone to use, rather than being offensive to the person it's applied to

I'd be curious to know what possible context you would use it in where it's not at the very least a highly tasteless word

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Squibsy posted:

I'd be curious to know what possible context you would use it in where it's not at the very least a highly tasteless word

I honestly don't know! The first time I ever heard it was The Rock saying he invented the "robo-chomo" and then I started noticing it every now and then

I know you would not use it in polite company. I'm asking whether it has any of the same baggage as other words deemed super-off-limits for anyone to say. You know the ones.

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
It's not a racial slur or anything, if that's what you mean.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Manager Hoyden posted:

I honestly don't know! The first time I ever heard it was The Rock saying he invented the "robo-chomo" and then I started noticing it every now and then

I know you would not use it in polite company. I'm asking whether it has any of the same baggage as other words deemed super-off-limits for anyone to say. You know the ones.

Those who are concerned about upsetting the feelings of child molesters shouldn't use it

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:34 on May 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

regulargonzalez posted:

I guess if one is concerned about upsetting the feelings of child molesters, one shouldn't use it

Lol my thinking was that maybe it could be seen as offensive to use because it kind of equates being gay with being a child molester if you squint and look at it in a deliberately uncharitable light

Like the word is not "chimo" (child molester) it's "chomo" which seems like it could have been a deliberate choice. But apparently it's not! Thought it would be good to check just in case