Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I've seen some Mexican places around here and Köln but the one I went to was just a knock off Mexican themed bar with tequila and "nachos" (the word you're looking for is "chips," nachos have meat and cheese and beans on them drat it). Maybe I'm a snob though, but in the US I grew up in a city about 30 minutes away from Mexico and my best friend until I moved away for college was a second-generation Mexican in the US. If I can find a store that sells corn husks and maza I'll make tamales aka real Mexican food that I learned to make from a first generation Mexican immigrant mom :smug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Ziir posted:

(the word you're looking for is "chips," nachos have meat and cheese and beans on them drat it)
Nachos are a whole different story altogether, and if you take them that serious as "traditional" mexican food, you should read up on their history...

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

westborn posted:

May depend on your location, I live in a more rural area in the south west of bavaria, and I know of 4 specific 'cantinas' within a 30km radius. The closest one offers a variety of burritos, enchiladas, quesadillas and alambre, as well as some 'mexican inspired' burgers, steaks, pizzas and pastas...

In east germany you will find mexican restaurants only in cities >100k. And even then it's probably just some mixture of texmex/spanish/latin american or whatever. Doesn't really surprise me, the only Mexicans I have actually ever met here came for world cup 2006.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Pretty sure you can get all the ingredients in a Metro/Handelshof. Tricky thing is to get in there :)

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Holy poo poo you guys eat pancakes with bacon in the pancakes (Speckpfannkuchen)? One of my flatmates just told me about this and my mind is completely blown. I love both pancakes and bacon but it has never occurred to me to mix bacon in the batter. Holy poo poo. She said she'd make some this weekend and I can't wait.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Ziir posted:

Holy poo poo you guys eat pancakes with bacon in the pancakes (Speckpfannkuchen)? One of my flatmates just told me about this and my mind is completely blown. I love both pancakes and bacon but it has never occurred to me to mix bacon in the batter. Holy poo poo. She said she'd make some this weekend and I can't wait.

:aaa:
Please report back on how great they turn out. I... I need to know. :ohdear:

edit: I would also hazard a guess that sausage might turn out tasting good in a pancake, now that I think about it. You know how sausage always tastes great with a bit of syrup? This would basically be the singularity.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Ziir posted:

You should also mix cheese, herbs and maybe even spinach in there.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Brokyn posted:

edit: I would also hazard a guess that sausage might turn out tasting good in a pancake, now that I think about it. You know how sausage always tastes great with a bit of syrup? This would basically be the singularity.

You've never seen the microwavable pancakes and sausage on a stick stuff? :911:

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Nov 12, 2010

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I prefer my pancakes sweet, pancake+sausage sounds horrible. Nutella, peanut butter and banana slices however is really good.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Brokyn posted:

:aaa:
Please report back on how great they turn out. I... I need to know. :ohdear:

You drat right I will. For science :science: food :btroll: and all out awesomeness :black101:.

FLX she said it's great with lettuce but keep your healthy food away from my greasy bacon.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

elbkaida posted:

I prefer my pancakes sweet, pancake+sausage sounds horrible.
I prefer them sweet myself, but why would it sound horrible? It's not like pancakes are sweet by themselves - at least german pancakes are pretty neutral.
I also love them as "Flädlesuppe", sliced pancake in broth.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

sanchez posted:

You've never seen the microwavable pancakes and sausage on a stick stuff? :911:

I completely forgot about these. I always avoided them so I would not become a cliche, but dang I guess they were on to something.

Also, vegetables have no place in an American breakfast. Fruit only barely manages to sneak in, but only the sweet and/or citrus ones. And whatever you'd classify bananas as.

If you do not follow this guideline, you are al-Qaida.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
:black101: Speckpfannkuchen :black101:

I am in love.

Ziir fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 14, 2010

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Ziir posted:

:black101: Speckpfannkuchen :black101:

I am in love.

Nice! Seeing this reminded me of another variant: pancakes with cooked ham (gekochter Schinken) pieces and herbs.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

I was definitely thinking cooked bacon, but that still looks great.

The lettuce, though. What in god's name have you done? :negative:

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Brokyn posted:

I was definitely thinking cooked bacon, but that still looks great.

The lettuce, though. What in god's name have you done? :negative:

The bacon was cooked? I tried it with the lettuce because she made a huge bowl and told us to try it with the lettuce. It sounded strange but hey, when in Rome... It turned out to be pretty good actually. I ate half of another one without the lettuce and ended up throwing some lettuce on the remaining half.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Oh, the bacon just looks a little... pale... to be cooked. But I'll take your word for it.

Bacon basically has to be crispy and nearly-carbon for me to really enjoy it, so.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Brokyn posted:

Oh, the bacon just looks a little... pale... to be cooked. But I'll take your word for it.

Bacon basically has to be crispy and nearly-carbon for me to really enjoy it, so.

I think we both meant this by cooked bacon/ham:

Edit: make it small 1x1cm pieces for your pancakes

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Brokyn posted:

In the first picture they're completely uncooked but they're cooked in the second.

Also get your silly non-American non-fatty bacon out of here :colbert:.

Brokyn
May 24, 2006

Oh I see it now.

why doesn't waffle house sell this

Unagi
Jan 27, 2007

:catstare:
PISSmaster
:woof:

Man, I have been neglecting this thread.. But I have new questions! I am pretty sure that I will be moving back to Deutschland for a few months as part of this loving amazing program. The program provides insurance and a monthly stipend but nothing else. I feel like this may have been asked, but..

How realistic is it to live in Berlin with €650 per month?

Brecht
Nov 7, 2009

Unagi posted:

How realistic is it to live in Berlin with €650 per month?
If health care is covered, and that's for rent+food+entertainment, it's definitely OK. You can find a room in a WG for 200-300 easily, and feed yourself well for 30-40 a week.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

yeah that should be fine

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

WG or you can probably already get your own little apartment, although it's not exactly going to be luxurious and probably in Kreuzberg, Neukölln or Moabit. Either way 650 is extremely realistic. A good percentage of the total populace probably lives on less.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Friend of mine living in Friedrichshain gets along with 400-450 for everything, rent included, just fine.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One concession I'd make is I'd go for a place that has at least some form of central heating, there are still a lot of places with stove heating which is cheaper in rent but also a huge pain in the arse. You'll be getting up in the dead of night to keep the fire going and lugging coal around every few days and at the end of it all you'll still be cold.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I think 650 is good too and the German government recommends 750 or so. I made a budget that I haven't been exactly following too much but if I followed it perfectly it should average to 550 a month with a modest food and entertainment budget. I live in a student WG though so yours might be higher since I don't have to pay for internet and my rent is cheaper.

I'm watching Harry Potter tomorrow, not sure how since it releases on Friday but whatever. The film says OV which I'm told means original version which is English for Harry Potter. Let's hope so! I bought my ticket online and a funny thing happened- it asked me to pick a chair to reserve. The movie starts at 17:00 so does this mean I can just show up and waltz in at 16:50 and sit in the seat I picked? Cause holy poo poo this is awesome cause in the US seats are first come first serve.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Ziir posted:

The movie starts at 17:00 so does this mean I can just show up and waltz in at 16:50 and sit in the seat I picked? Cause holy poo poo this is awesome cause in the US seats are first come first serve.
Yes.
If you've bought it online, that seat is yours for that screening.
If you just reserve it, most cinemas ask you to come in to pick up the tickets 30 minutes before the movie starts, they will be sold to other people otherwise (usually with an additional time buffer).
We also don't have ushers that show you to your seat (at least I've never come across one). Some newer cinemas even went as far as removing the ticket taker and only send someone if a pressure sensor indicates somebody is using a seat that hasn't been sold.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe

Ziir posted:

I bought my ticket online and a funny thing happened- it asked me to pick a chair to reserve. The movie starts at 17:00 so does this mean I can just show up and waltz in at 16:50 and sit in the seat I picked? Cause holy poo poo this is awesome cause in the US seats are first come first serve.

You could just show up 10-15 minutes later and still not miss anything. The first 10-15 minutes will be ads anyway (but pick up the ticket before on time as westborn said.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

westborn posted:

. Some newer cinemas even went as far as removing the ticket taker and only send someone if a pressure sensor indicates somebody is using a seat that hasn't been sold.

You gotta be making GBS threads me.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zwille posted:

I hadn't heard of that before but sadly it sounds quite realistic.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Well I hope they also compare the total amount of seats taken because from my experience a lot of people just change seats after the show starts upon realizing there's better seats free... which was also parodied in some Loriot sketch, which I sadly can't find on YouTube.

But yeah, just today I tried a self-checkout lane at Real because I thought it'd be as fast as at Ikea, but I accidentally picked up my groceries, putting them in my satchel before having scanned all of my items - apparently you have to keep them in place so they can weigh and compare what you've bought. Probably so you won't change up the barcode or something. Still, you could probably buy similarly weighed items if you just switched the barcode to a cheaper one...

Liface
Jun 17, 2001

by T. Finn

Zwille posted:

But yeah, just today I tried a self-checkout lane at Real because I thought it'd be as fast as at Ikea, but I accidentally picked up my groceries, putting them in my satchel before having scanned all of my items - apparently you have to keep them in place so they can weigh and compare what you've bought. Probably so you won't change up the barcode or something. Still, you could probably buy similarly weighed items if you just switched the barcode to a cheaper one...

Wow, those have finally come to Germany? I love those things. In the U.S. there's usually an attendant that watches over the 4-6 machines to help people out and make sure no funny business is happening.

Liface fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 19, 2010

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Zwille posted:

Nope. There's at least one I know from personal experience, the Cinecittà in Nürnberg. I don't know if they had it from the start in 1995, but I was very surprised when I visited it for the first time (in '03 or '04) and there wasn't anybody standing at the doors.

Liface posted:

Wow, those have finally come to Germany?
They've been around for at least the last two years, but rather scarce.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

westborn posted:

Nope. There's at least one I know from personal experience, the Cinecittà in Nürnberg. I don't know if they had it from the start in 1995, but I was very surprised when I visited it for the first time (in '03 or '04) and there wasn't anybody standing at the doors.

Yeah, but were they actually calling people out on sitting in the wrong places? I know of the Cinemaxx in Essen which was relatively new (this was around 2002) and they didn't notice there were people in the wrong seats (with the wrong tickets). They only checked the tickets at the entrance too, not at the theaters themselves.

Liface posted:

Wow, those have finally come to Germany? I love those things. In the U.S. there's usually an attendant that watches over the 4-6 machines to help people out and make sure no funny business is happening.

Yup, there's still attendants who had to unfreeze the machines when we hosed up the whole "leave your groceries on the scale" thing. They didn't even check if anything matched up, they just swiped their card and hit the button to unfreeze.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

WTF?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Zwille posted:

Yeah, but were they actually calling people out on sitting in the wrong places?
The system itself won't account for matching tickets and seats, but I'd guess there won't be many situations where somebody takes a better empty seat that isn't marked in the system as already sold - the best seats are usually sold first, so if somebody doesn't show up, the seat is still marked as sold, since it's already paid for. Otherwise I guess they settle for the right amount of sold tickets and taken seats, but I don't now for sure.

If you're a guest and somebody sits in your seat you just tell them and they move.
I heard stories about people without tickets taking a look at the monitors that show which seats are sold and in use, look for a free paid for one and stay there till somebody is heading their way or points out to them they're in their seat.
I don't believe this would work too often, how many times will somebody pay for a ticket and then not attend?

ZwobotJones
Apr 30, 2009

Click click

Zwille posted:

Yeah, but were they actually calling people out on sitting in the wrong places? I know of the Cinemaxx in Essen which was relatively new (this was around 2002) and they didn't notice there were people in the wrong seats (with the wrong tickets). They only checked the tickets at the entrance too, not at the theaters themselves.

I didn't know the Cinemaxx in Essen had that sensor thing. I've been going there for years now and I'm one of these people that change their seats a couple times before the movie starts whenever I spot one that's better than mine. Even when there's a lot of empty ones, I've never seen anyone come up to me telling me I'm in the wrong seat.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
drat, that was the best movie going experience I've ever had. I watched a movie when I was in Berlin, but the person I went to the theaters with just handled all the buying and talking (and I didn't know German at the time) so I didn't know there were reserved seats. Why the gently caress don't we reserve seats in the US? It was so nice being able to get to the theater on time (as opposed to 30-60 minutes early in the States) and sitting down. Also hilarious how they play a ice cream commercial and then pause everything so a guy can come in with ice cream for sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Gold and a Pager posted:

WTF?

:monocle: This is like double-crazy! Not only does is say and show "im Arsch" but also the "Dick" so close to it. Incredible!