Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Skutter, that's quite an eclectic list you've got. I'll go with Rear Window.

Oh man there's so much to say about Berlin Alexanderplatz. I watched it over 4 days, about 3-4 hours each day, and I think this was really the right choice. It's a very captivating story but it does flow a little slowly and the time for reflection in between really helped me digest it and build up my interest for the next viewing. As I mentioned earlier, it really feels like reading a good novel, the plot advances at a reasonable rate but there's a lot more, a narrator commenting about the times and situations, occasional glimpses into the characters state of mind, and shots that allow you to take in all the little details of setting as if an author were describing it. For those not familiar it's the story of a man, Franz Biberkopf, who has just been released from prison as the economic situation in Germany worsens, and how he deals with his situation and women in his life. Just as much, though, it's about prewar Germany, its politics and its people, as the film both overtly and allegorically discusses these things through its main character. Besides all that, there was something really unique about how it was shot. It's not what I would call beautifully filmed at all, but between the sepia tinting, all the sparkles and the choices of camera placements there was something mesmerizing about the style. Then there's the epilogue, which I just don't know what to make of. Certainly it makes sense and it does conclude the story, but the style is so different from the relatively straight forward that I couldn't help but be jarred by it. Anyway, one thing I can say is that this is much more accessible than I expected and would have no qualms recommending it to anyone.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

Nostalghia Tarkovsky's cool, guess I need to see this.

Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler Replacing one long Lang silent with another.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Heima I want to keep putting documentaries here but I don't know what to pick so I'm going to take what sounds interesting from Imdb's top 50 list.

Juliet of the Spirits It seems like every Fellini film I've watched I've liked less than the previous one but it's been a while and I guess I should give him another chance, the only one I've truly hated is Amarcord. Not sure if this one is the right choice, but we'll see.

Farewell My Concubine I've seen this film mentioned a lot of times over the years but I know nothing about it.

For the hell of it, here's what I've seen so far:
Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Sawdust and Tinsel, Autumn Sonata, Smiles of a Summer Night and Summer With Monika, of the ones I've seen I think you might like. I'm sure FFD will come in at some point with a bigger list.

I'm not quite sure what you (thegloaming) mean by "pastoral Bergman"... do you just mean in a rural setting?

I'd add The Magician, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Shame to PA's list.

Persona is a tough nut to crack, Bergman at his most experimental (The Rite is pretty out there too). I have a hard time with it, although I find it fascinating. You have to be willing to accept that there is no "correct" interpretation. I'm glad you didn't let it put you off Bergman entirely.

You might also try Hour of the Wolf and The Passion of Anna, both of which are "pastoral" in a sense, but they're also more on the experimental side.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Then there's the epilogue, which I just don't know what to make of. Certainly it makes sense and it does conclude the story, but the style is so different from the relatively straight forward that I couldn't help but be jarred by it. Anyway, one thing I can say is that this is much more accessible than I expected and would have no qualms recommending it to anyone.

When you're watching BA, you're thinking, "huh this is good but it really doesn't feel like a Fassbinder film" and then the epilogue comes and you're like, "ohhhhhhhhh okay".

FitFortDanga fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 30, 2010

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you
Peaceful Anarchy, you get Heima. Either you already like Sigur Ros and will love them more, or you'll start to.

Just finished Ikiru the other day, drat. I wasn't expecting the last act to play out the way it did at first, but it worked amazingly well of course. The emotional resonance really kicked in at the end. Definitely have to watch it again.

Adhesion posted:

Touch of Evil: Welles is one of those important filmmakers that I've only seen one or no films by (guess which one in this case), which is probably going to be a recurring theme here.

Night of the Hunter: This one slipped under my radar I guess, I don't really know much of anything about it aside from how good it is and indirectly via its influence.

M: Just saw the restored Metropolis (only Lang I've seen of course), which was great but more heavyhanded than what I remembered from when I watched it the first time. Hoping this is a bit better.

Modern Times: Haven't seen any Chaplin movies, might as well start here.

North by Northwest
Vertigo: More Hitchcock, why not.

The Apartment: Haven't seen any Wilder movies either.

Amarcord or 8 1/2: Again, have yet to see any Fellini.

Ikiru
Fanny and Alexander: I love Bergman (The Seventh Seal might be my all-time favorite film), but somehow I only made it halfway through this - the theatrical version, even. I'm up for the TV version too as penance.

Pierrot le fou: Guess how much Godard I've seen! (Hint: it is a small, round number.)

On the Waterfront: Another well-acclaimed older film I don't know much about.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks PA for the suggestions.

FitFortDanga posted:

I'm not quite sure what you (thegloaming) mean by "pastoral Bergman"... do you just mean in a rural setting?

I'd add The Magician, Through a Glass Darkly, Winter Light, and Shame to PA's list.

Persona is a tough nut to crack, Bergman at his most experimental (The Rite is pretty out there too). I have a hard time with it, although I find it fascinating. You have to be willing to accept that there is no "correct" interpretation. I'm glad you didn't let it put you off Bergman entirely.

You might also try Hour of the Wolf and The Passion of Anna, both of which are "pastoral" in a sense, but they're also more on the experimental side.

Yeah, I meant the films in a rural setting.

I don't feel like I missed out on Persona. I understood what he was doing — probably not down to the finest detail, though — and I just wasn't feeling it. What's odd is that Mulholland Drive, a film that borrows heavily from Persona, is one of my favorites of all time (who would have thought???). It just does so much more for me.

I often think I unfairly rate foreign films because they're too subtle or obtuse; I do have difficulty with subtitles in that if I'm not completely focused I'll just completely miss what someone is saying (and for slow moving films, that happens more than I'd care to admit). I like it when I can understand people's voices, and when the humor is relatable — I can't help that. It hasn't stopped me from loving some amazing foreign films, but I think the barrier of entry is higher for me than most.

Speaking of which, I've started BA and I've been pretty engaged the whole time.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

FitFortDanga posted:

Well, he said he liked the Seventh Seal and The Virgin Spring and not so much Wild Strawberries and Persona so he might mean films not set in modern times. But I think that's more a coincidence of the films he chose than the reason he liked the ones he did. I don't remember much of Though the Glass Darkly and Winter Light (or even which is which) but aren't they more similar to the self reflexive style of the two he disliked than the two he did?

quote:

When you're watching BA, you're thinking, "huh this is good but it really doesn't feel like a Fassbinder film" and then the epilogue comes and you're like, "ohhhhhhhhh okay".
Well, the visual style is his as are those female characters, but yeah the epilogue is where the Fassbinder shines through.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Adhesion oh man, with Welles, Lang, Chaplin, Hitchcock, Wilder and Bergman, you've so much great stuff ahead of you. I think I'll chose Vertigo, though Fanny and Alexander calls out loudly.

OK, so maybe using IMDB's list is not a good way to find documentaries. This was more of a concert film with beautiful images of Icelandic nature, some slightly less beautiful shots of other stuff in Iceland and some boring interview snipets. The music is pleasing enough but not really something I care about, it sounds like the kind of stuff that goes over a bittersweet montage or ending in an indie film where things are kind of sad but hopeful at the same time. I don't mind having seen it, and I can see how if you like the music this would be wonderful, but it's not really for me.

Updated list:

La hora de los hornos Now this is going to be real propaganda, and pretty long too, but the subject matter interests me so I should buckle down and give it a go.

America, America There's a Cahiers du cinéma top 100 films list out there and I have only 2 left. This is the one I would have a hard time making myself watch otherwise. A Kazan film about the American dream that's 3 hours long, that really doesn't sound very interesting but who knows.

The Shootist I'm on a bit of a western kick this week and I chose this only because it's one I don't think I'd watch otherwise.

Kings of the Road I hear this is good. I liked Paris, Texas and Wings of Desire so maybe I'd like this.

The Traveling Players It's Greek and the director Angelopoulos is apparently well regarded. Don't really know much about this. It's the highest film on the TSPDT list I haven't seen.

Juliet of the Spirits It seems like every Fellini film I've watched I've liked less than the previous one but it's been a while and I guess I should give him another chance, the only one I've truly hated is Amarcord. Not sure if this one is the right choice, but we'll see.

Farewell My Concubine I've seen this film mentioned a lot of times over the years but I know nothing about it.

Angels with Dirty Faces You know, I love noir but I haven't watched much in the past year or so, despite having a bunch of boxsets on my shelf. I think this proto-noir is one of the first I should watch.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Peaceful Anarchy, I've only seen four of the movies you have listed, and of those the only one I would recommend is Angels with Dirty Faces. So watch it!

Clockers was both good but also kind of a letdown. I felt it really stalled for a while in the middle: what could have been kind of a tight drama kind of floundered for a bit before it recaptured my interest. I think Lee was going for a quieter kind of movie, and while it has some compelling characters, they rarely seemed to defy stereotypes. However, Harvey Keitel, Delroy Lindo, and Mekhi Phifer were all riveting, and I really enjoyed any time they were on screen. While it had it's moments, it's not a Spike Lee movie I'd return to any time soon, but I'm still glad I watched it.

Sheldrake posted:

Here's my list:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - The last of A.O. Scott's favorites of the last decade I need to see. Every time I look at it, I just get covered in the waves of indifference I felt from The Lives of Others.

2. A Matter of Life and Death - I always heard that this was the great film of British cinema. I finally got the DVD a few weeks ago, but still haven't gotten around to watching it, despite the fact that I've been looking forward to seeing this for years.

3. Empire of Passion - I also bought this at a previous Criterion sale. I love the cover, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also really liked In The Realm of the Senses, strangely enough.

4. Woman in the Dunes - Again, Criterion sale purchase, haven't watched. One of my friend rants about how amazing it is though. I haven't watched any of the rest of the box set either (nor have I watched any of my Six Moral Tales boxset, but that's for another time); lot of movies, little time.

5. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

6. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

7. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

8. Mo' Better Blues - Might as well replace Spike Lee with some more Spike Lee. Looks good, haven't seen it.

9. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

10. Butterfly - Comedy option. I watched Pia Zadora in The Lonely Lady a few weeks ago, and it was one of the funniest bad movies I've seen. This one has her as an incest loving farm girl with Orson Welles as a particularly sweaty judge.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10

Sheldrake fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 30, 2010

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

tokillthesunflower posted:

Go watch The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Even if it's not your kind of western, you can't go wrong with Jimmy Stewart.

Unfortunately, I went wrong with Jimmy Stewart. I don't like the way he does his do-gooders in general, and much prefer him in movies like Flight Of The Phoenix or The Shootist. Wayne does a good job as usual, and there's no way I could ever dislike anything Marvin has done.

For my taste, there's too much preaching in this one and not enough cinematography; in the sense that it may have worked better as a play.

I'm glad I've finally seen it, though, so thanks for forcing me to bite the bullet(...s). I also went ahead and saw Spartacus and E.T., as they would have been on my plate anyway. ET: nah. Halfway through I realised I don't like films with child protagonists in general, and this one was no exception. Spartacus was nice.

I'll have to dig for other major movies that passed me by, 'cause this is a good way to spark critical watching.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Sheldrake you get A Matter of Life and Death

I've just got through watching Downfall and have to say that Bruno Ganz's performance was excellent. I loved the way everyone who was about to tell Hitler something he didn't want to hear was always sweating. It's immediately apparent why, since he goes mental. Shame about Blondi. A great film though, I'm disappointed with myself for not watching it sooner and Alexandra Maria Lara is just beautiful.

mikewozere posted:

Updated List:

Casablanca - I'm going to be honest and say that if a film's not in colour I usually don't give it a look in. It's ridiculous and stupid, I know. Recently though, I've been putting aside my child-like motives and have been enjoying some black-and-white classics.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.

Amadeus
Rear Window - Expect more Hitchcock films to be added to this list as I don't think I've seen any. I'm not even too sure why. I think my film taste has matured a lot since the last time I had the opportunity to watch one of his films and neglected to. I've been skim-reading Empire magazines Hitchcock specials though and am fully aware of his genius.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America - I've seen pretty much every other Sergio Leone movie and thoroughly enjoyed them. The fact this one isn't set in the desert kind of put me off, though. I just assumed some of Leone's style would be lost.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter - Head it inspired suicides...not heard much else about it.

Badlands - All I know is, True Romance copied it's theme tune.

Downfall
Serpico - Big fan of Pacino but never sat down and watched this.

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
Mikewozere I'm recommending that you watch Once upon a time in America.

I am new into this thread and like it immensely.

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd: Don't even know what this is about.

The Third Man: Excited and embarrassed about this.

High Noon: Has been put on hold many times in favour of other westerns too many times.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation: Heard great things about this movie from a friend who thinks I'll like it.

The Hustler: I feel like I'm missing out on the legend of Paul Newman. Hoping to make amends.

Peter Sellers movie: Something else than Dr. Strangelove and Being there.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest and always had to suffer defeat in the harsh world of movie picking filled with prejudice. But I'm now very willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai: This has always escaped my memory anc everytime I do remember I don't feel in the mood to watch a long war movie. Maybe pressure from the internet can solve that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Sheldrake posted:

Peaceful Anarchy, I've only seen four of the movies you have listed, and of those the only one I would recommend is Angels with Dirty Faces. So watch it!

Out of curiosity, what are the other three you've seen?

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Out of curiosity, what are the other three you've seen?

The Shootist is okay-- it really feels more like a TV movie than an actual film, and I really couldn't stand Ron Howard's character. It's probably worth watching for its significance in Wayne's career, but it wasn't a classic by any means.

I just watched Juliet of the Spirits a few weeks ago and was pretty disappointed. It really seemed like one of those movies that's more enjoyable to dissect than to watch. Giulietta Masina was great as usual, but the movie just didn't do anything for me emotionally.

And I saw Farewell My Concubine probably about a decade ago, and just remember not really being too fond of it, though my tastes have certainly changed since then.

mikewozere posted:

Sheldrake you get A Matter of Life and Death

Yes! Can't wait.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Good to know, that more or less matches what my expectations for those three were. A Matter of Life and Death is a real treat.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Baktus posted:

The Conversation: Heard great things about this movie from a friend who thinks I'll like it.

I haven't seen many of the films on your list, and frankly a few should be on mine, but I'd go with The Conversation. I loved it, has a great performance by Hackman, and if you're interested in.

So mine are a little all over the place, but a common theme throughout is that a lot of these are movies I've seen bits and pieces of on TV or I started to watch but never finished for whatever reason.

1. Lawrence of Arabia - I actually have never really learned that much about this film. Most of my knowledge of the historical Lawrence is from Young Indiana Jones, but I've put this one off for so long because I dream of seeing it for the first time in 70mm, which really isn't likely to ever happen.
2. Chinatown - I got into a huge noir phase in high school and at one point threw on Chinatown. The aesthetic didn't match my expectations and the first 10 minutes didn't hook me so I turned it off and have wondered "What If?" ever since.
3. King Kong (1933) - I've always enjoyed old monster movies and liked the recent remake quite a bit. I know that I've seen a good chunk of the movie thanks to documentaries on special effects and all that, but I still don't have a good feeling of the overall film.
4. Robocop - I enjoy all sorts of 80s action films but somehow Robocop has slipped through the cracks. I may have seen snippets on TV when I was younger, or maybe bits and pieces of the sequels.
5. The Professional - I saw the first 20 minutes ages ago and enjoyed it but for some reason had to turn it off and have yet to return to it. I even have it sitting around but just haven't been bothered.
6. Forbidden Planet - I love 50s and 60s sci-fi, but this classic has somehow passed me by. It just has always felt like "Well, it'll always still be there, I'll get around to it", but I've been thinking that for about 10 years.
7. Watership Down - I read half the book and really enjoyed it but never finished it. I love The Secret of Nimh and I've always imagined that they're similar.
8. Manhattan - I love Annie Hall, which was my first Woody Allen, and I've avoided Manhattan just because for some reason I assumed it was just more of the same.
9. The Goonies - I missed this one as a kid and have always been curious. I'm really into similar sorts of movies, but I got about 15 minutes into this and turned it off because it didn't hook me right away - though I realized it was before the plot really kicked into gear.
10. Dune - I've seen snippets on TV as well as seeing snippets of the awful-seeming Sci-Fi Channel remake, but this is one of the more critically acclaimed science fiction films of that era that has passed me by.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 30, 2010

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Skutter, that's quite an eclectic list you've got. I'll go with Rear Window.

Yeah. I chose stuff from all different genres so my brain wouldn't get fried. I mean, there's a ton of good movies that I haven't seen, but I don't want to watch a bunch of Westerns or romantic comedies in a row. In any case, Rear Window has been added and bumped to position #1 in my queue. :D

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

feedmyleg it's going to have to be Lawrence of Arabia for you, I can't resist recommending it.

Angels With Dirty Faces was wonderful entertainment. Other than the kids being not so great everything else about it was really good, even the heavy handed message fits pretty well in with the rest.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
Peaceful Anarchy: Juliet of the Spirits is the only one on your list that I've seen, so I guess I'll pick that. Not my favorite Fellini, but it's not bad either.

So I watched Belle de jour today. It was very interesting. The way it handled the sex and more importantly the main character's interest in the sex was very non-exploitative and had a bit of realism to it. I want to see what kind of feminist critiques I can find of this movie.

Updated list:
The Idiots - I'm a big Von Trier fan, but I still haven't seen this one (or any of his early ones other than The Element of Crime)

The Piano Teacher - I love the Haneke films I've seen (Cache and White Ribbon and I even liked both Funny Games)

Z
Bad Education - I like the Almodovars I've seen and I've been meaning to see this one for a while, but I just never got around to it.

Fitzcarraldo
Spartacus
The Elephant Man
Three Colors Trilogy
Stalker
Belle de jour
The Thin Blue Line - There's kind of a lack of American movies on this list, and I also need some more Errol Morris under my belt. The only Morris film I've seen is Gates of Heaven. I picked this one in particular because it's on Netflix Instant.

Downfall
The Birth of a Nation - The length on this one is a tad discouraging. I haven't watched any other silents that are quite this long. I'm also worried the movie will piss me off, so that makes the length even more discouraging. It's pretty much the most "canon" film period, though, so I do still want to see it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse
Man with a Movie Camera - I had actually never heard of this until I came upon it on the Internet Archive a few years ago. It looks intriguing, but I do kind of worry that I won't really "get" it.

Babel - I've seen Amores perros and this one's gotten some really good (and some less good) reactions

Scenes from a Marriage
El Topo
Shoot the Piano Player - I love Truffaut and have seen several of his films, and love the French New Wave in general, so I'll throw this one in here.

Breathless
Pink Flamingos
Do the Right Thing
La dolce vita - I've seen quite a few Fellinis, but not this one yet.

Audition
Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
Berlin Alexanderplatz - Since people seem to be taking the jump on this, I guess I'll throw my hat into it. I'm expecting the length will make me want to kill myself at least once or twice during it.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

I've seen half te ones dotCommunism has crossed off but not a single one on his current list :/ I'll give him The Paino Teacher since I like Haneke too.

Watched Lawrence of Arabia and I'd sum up the film with

Once I got over my amusement at Alec Guinness being cast as an Arab prince I though it was great, and David Lean sure knows how to film a landscape. I liked that the film wasn't afraid to make Lawrence quite unlikeable, that he comes across as a man leading a rebellion mostly to fuel his own ego (though the character is certainly more complex than to sum up so easily).

I was surprised at how it didn't seem anything like it's length; I puased it for lunch when Lawrence first went back to Cairo and was surprised that it was over two hours through. The music was fantastic, Peter O'Toole was great and maybe deserved an Oscar ahead of Gregory Peck, and Omar Sharif got possibly the best character introduction I've seen. Great movie.

Revised list:

Breathless - I've seen hardly anything from the new wave because I just never felt the compulsion to, and have seen nothing at all by Godard and I guess this is the place to start.

Solaris - Even though I love Stalker I find it hard to motivate myself to sit down and watch this since it's even longer. I also hate the Soderbergh version.

Barry Lyndon - From The Killing through to Eyes Wide Shut this is the only Kubrick film I haven't seen because I've never been big on period films and I thought it might be best to wait for the Blu Ray anyway.

Persona - I liked The Silence a lot so I should get around to this at some point.

The Rules of the Game - I don't really know anything about this but I see it so exalted so often that I feel I'm going to have to watch it sometime.

- I have a strong disinclination toward self-indulgence.

The Magnificent Ambersons - Knowing how badly butchered it was on release from Welles's cut I've never really bothered to seek it out even though I hear it's still a great film regardless of that.

The Draughtsman's Contract - The only Greenaway film I've seen is The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover which was pretty excellent so I'm looking to watch more at some point.

Bicycle Theives - Same as Rules of the Game, really.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Seems like it'd be right up my street and it's had an influence on films and directors that I love. And a great Simpsons episode. Like Casablanca it's another case of me not feeling a need to seek out American films from a popular period.

Noxville fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 31, 2010

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Noxville, considering your choice in avatar material in a vague sense, I'm going to say you should give Breathless a shot.

A Matter of Life & Death was absolutely splendid. Gorgeous color, fun and spry humor, and a surprisingly frank discussion on the loathsomeness of British colonialism really perked me up. Roger Livesay really knocked his performance out of the park, and while I wish we'd had more time between the two leads, it was still a fantastic film all around. I am man enough to admit I cried at the end; good show!

Sheldrake posted:

Here's my list:

1. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days - The last of A.O. Scott's favorites of the last decade I need to see. Every time I look at it, I just get covered in the waves of indifference I felt from The Lives of Others.

2. The Small Back Room - Another Powell and Pressburger, gotta love it. Haven't heard anything glowing about it, but I'm curious.

3. Empire of Passion - I also bought this at a previous Criterion sale. I love the cover, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I also really liked In The Realm of the Senses, strangely enough.

4. Woman in the Dunes - Again, Criterion sale purchase, haven't watched. One of my friend rants about how amazing it is though. I haven't watched any of the rest of the box set either (nor have I watched any of my Six Moral Tales boxset, but that's for another time); lot of movies, little time.

5. Abel Gance's Napoleon - I love silent movies and Eg Eggleby and FFD talk this up all the time, but the four hour investment just seems like a lot.

6. Odd Man Out - I love Carol Reed and James Mason, but the plot description does nothing for me.

7. Gospel According to St. Matthew - I didn't really care for Salo, and then I really don't care too much about the Bible.

8. Mo' Better Blues - Might as well replace Spike Lee with some more Spike Lee. Looks good, haven't seen it.

9. Up! - No, not the Pixar movie. The Russ Meyer flick. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls is one of my favorite movies, but Faster Pussycat, Kill! Kill! never did much for me.

10. Butterfly - Comedy option. I watched Pia Zadora in The Lonely Lady a few weeks ago, and it was one of the funniest bad movies I've seen. This one has her as an incest loving farm girl with Orson Welles as a particularly sweaty judge.

Finally Seen: Hiroshima Mon Amour - 8/10, Clockers - 7/10, A Matter of Life & Death - 9/10

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

quote:

Watch this one Sheldrake, and then watch everything else in both of those boxsets.

Juliet of the Spirits is fine I guess, but nothing special. It's very pretty to look at and I laughed a bit, but mostly at the more understated little gags. Most of the comedy is very broad and in your face, though, and not in a style I find particularly amusing, though it wasn't off-putting either. As for the rest of it I just didn't care much. I don't share much of Fellini's sensibilities I guess, and I've come to realize I just don't care about Masina the way everyone else seems to.

Updated list:

Beau Travail I've never seen anything from Claire Denis, this sounds like a good place to start.

Europa '51 Another highly regarded Italian director I'm kind of meh on, but it does have Ingrid Bergman.

Last Tango In Paris 7.5/10 , Lola Montes 8.5/10 , First Blood 8.5/10 , Lolita 8.5/10 , The New World 8.5/10 , The Decalogue 9.5/10 , Neotpravlennoye pismo 10/10 , A Passage to India 8.5/10 , Yi-Yi 8.5/10 , The Last Emperor 7.5/10 , In a Year with 13 Moons 8.5/10 , The Big Red One 8.5/10 , Les Vampires 9.5/10 , Ballad of a Soldier 9.5/10 , Chelsea Girls 7.5/10 , Kin-Dza-Dza 9/10 , My Life as a Dog 8/10 , The Man who Fell to Earth 8/10 , Red Beard 8.5/10 , Satantango 9/10 , Napoleon 10/10 , Faces 9/10 , Godzilla 7/10, Olympia I 9.5/10 II 8.5/10 , Bad Day at Black Rock 9/10, Soy Cuba 9.5/10, Ossessione 8/10, Greed 10/10, Hoop Dreams 9.5/10, The Burmese Harp 9.5/10 , Éloge de l'amour 6.5/10 , Woodstock 7.5/10 , Die Nibelungen Siegfried 9/10 Kriemhild 8.5/10, Ceddo 10/10 , Wrath of Khan - 7/10 , Shoah 9/10 , City of Sadness 8.5/10, Fires on the Plain 9/10 , Berlin Alexanderplatz 9/10 , Heima 6.5/10 , Angels with Dirty Faces 8.5/10 , Juliet of the Spirits 7/10

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
Peaceful Anarchy, I haven't seen any of your movies, so through the magic of a random-number generator, you get Kings of the Road.

I watched Amores perros independently the other day and I really liked it. Nobody does cinematography like Ińárritu (with one exception, which I'm about to get to). No matter where a scene takes place, his sense of lighting makes the place seem alive.
Ińárritu has a real ability to make you feel the characters' emotions. I liked how the dogfights were communicated through their facial expressions instead of the dogs' actions. The movie's big car crash was well-done too; I saw it coming the third time and it still gave me a jump. He also really makes you that sick, familiar feeling of the Slow Painful Death Phase of a relationship. He's a little too good at that. :(

I just finished watching City of God and I absolutely loved it. It was absolutely not what I was expecting at all. I figured early on that the main theme would be that chasing revenge and resorting to violence to get what you want gets you nowhere but killed for no reason. But the movie did it so well I couldn't believe it. The movie turned out to be a good one after watching some Ińárritu; the cinematography, narration, and hyperlink cinema plotting were very reminiscent of his style, but adapted for Brazil.
The fact that it was based on a true story—and that the actors were favela kids who had more experience with the depicted lifestyle than with acting—just made it absolutely amazing. That made it feel less like violence being co-opted for gritty, dramatic effect, and more of a reflection of real life in the slums. I'd call this one of the best movies I've ever seen.

The Hunt For Red October
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rashomon
Clash of the Titans
Tron
Enter the Dragon
The Karate Kid
Raging Bull
Cool Hand Luke
High and Low
Amores perros
City of God

American Graffiti: I always wanted to see George Lucas' work before his Star Wars success made him all fat and happy. Plus, there's something about Mort Drucker's poster that makes me 2-3 times as interested in it.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid: This movie gets referenced in pop culture so much that I feel like I'm missing something by not having seen it. Also, I've only seen extremely little of Newman and Redford in their heyday.
Carlito's Way: I've seen as many mob movies as any self-respecting 20-something American male, but not only have I not seen this one, but somehow I managed not to know anything about this movie except that it stars Pacino.
Casablanca: From what I've heard, I get a feeling seeing this is a prerequisite for calling oneself a film buff.
F for Fake: I think art forgery is interesting and I think Orson Welles is interesting. I thought Citizen Kane was the kind of movie that I'd only enjoy watching once, and that turned out to be true, so I'm looking forward and not looking forward to this one at the same time.
Grand Slam: I've had this movie for a while and I keep putting it off. I love heist films, but for some reason I can't stop thinking this movie is going to be boring as hell.
The Maltese Falcon: Even though I think Bogart is hideous in appearance, I really, really enjoyed The Big Sleep. It made me realize I need to see a lot more noir.
Robocop: I thought Peter Weller was great in Buckaroo Banzai. This is another one of those 80s movies that's ubiquitous in pop culture that everyone's seen but me. I have this habit of confusing Verhoeven and von Trier, even though I've seen Total Recall (which I thought wasn't terrible but had no rewatch value whatsoever) and Showgirls (the first movie I knew was terrible—I was a loving teenager at the time and even constant gratuitous nudity couldn't save it).
Serpico: Another Pacino movie I feel like I should have seen by now.
Where Eagles Dare: The thing that stuck with me about Inglourious Basterds is that I felt like Tarantino was assuming the viewer knows a lot about war movies that I didn't. So I went on a World War II binge, but I didn't get to this movie.

Baktus
Jan 30, 2008
CloseFriend you get to see The Maltese Falcon

I watched The Conversation and I liked it alot. The whole movie is a one man show that belongs to Gene Hackman, I think he is on screen for about 95% of the time. How his character is portrayed somehow reminded me of Taxi Driver. Especially one scene early on when he is riding the bus just looking around with subtle piano music in the background. Also the same way they are both made to look like outsiders. The best scene in the movie for me though was in the hotel bathroom. I enjoyed the movie but it does not have good re-watchability.

The Conversation 8/10

The Gold Rush: I find Charlie Chaplin to be an extremely interesting person. I am pretty well read about him personally but haven't seen his movies.

Sunset Blvd: Don't even know what this is about.

The Third Man: Excited and embarrassed about this.

High Noon: Has been put on hold many times in favour of other westerns too many times.

M: I have a very vague idea what this movie is about. I know it is directed by Lang.

The Conversation
Dial M for Murder: This is a random pick from Hitchcock movies I have not seen.

The Hustler: I feel like I'm missing out on the legend of Paul Newman. Hoping to make amends.

Peter Sellers movie: Something else than Dr. Strangelove and Being there.

The Treasure of Sierra Madre: This movie just never peaked my interest and always had to suffer defeat in the harsh world of movie picking filled with prejudice. But I'm now very willing to give it a go.

The Bridge on the river Kwai: This has always escaped my memory anc everytime I do remember I don't feel in the mood to watch a long war movie. Maybe pressure from the internet can solve that.

Baktus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 1, 2010

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Baktus, I'm giving you Sunset Boulevard.

Watched Seven Samurai last night. That was a great film. It was long, but I feel like I could've taken another hour if they gave it to me. The entire last hour or so, from the time the bandits show up to the end, was some of the best battles I've ever seen. It didn't go for those "Holy poo poo!" moments or anything like that. It was all about the strategy. I was always aware of how many people are left, how many have been killed, why they're doing it this way, etc. That's a kind of experience you don't get very often in a movie.

Anyway, here's my updated list:

The French Connection - Owned this on DVD forever, just never got around to it for some reason.

Any of Hitchcock's films - They honestly all seem like they would be some of my favorite movies if I ever got around to them. No idea why I never have though.

A Clockwork Orange and The Shining - I guess I haven't seen much of Kubrick at all, except 2001, but these are the two that most interest me.

Raging Bull - Scorcese, DeNiro, Boxing. I don't know how it could possibly go wrong. Still never got me to watch it though.

Seven Samurai

Spartacus - I'm a big fan of period epics, but the only time I ever saw any of this was just a small portion in high school.

Metropolis - Never knew much about this until recently. But I've read a little bit about it lately because of the new restoration. Looks interesting.

And for my new one I'll add The Maltese Falcon. I think I heard some of an old-time radio adaptation of this when I was a kid, and I enjoyed it a lot. But I don't remember any of the details. And even if I did remember, that's a lot different than seeing the movie.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
Diabolik900 you get to watch my favorite Hitchcock film The Trouble With Harry, it is on Netflix instant play!

Here is my list:
1. Seven Samurai – I’ve thought about watching it, but just haven’t
2. Sunset Blvd.- not a big fan of film-noir
3. The Professional- I dunno why I haven’t seen this, seems like my kind of film.
4. Amiele- I swear I have had this in my Netflix que forever, but I keep bumping it.
5. City Lights – I haven’t seen any Chaplin films, although I did see the Robert Downey biopic.
6. Pan’s Labyrinth – I own this and haven’t watched it.
7. Sin City – I remembering seeing the trailer, and not liking what I saw.
8. The Sting or Butch Cassidy- the redford/neuman duo just doesn’t do much for me.
9. On the Waterfront- Just sounds boring to me.
10. Gran Torino – I love Clint, just hasn’t sparked my interest.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Let me just say that if you don't like The Trouble With Harry please don't let it discourage you from checking out more Hitchcock. It's not very representative of his work.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Yeah that is a bit of a weird one to give to someone who's never seen any Hitchcock.

TipsyMc
Sep 5, 2004

I visited BYOB and all I got was this lousy avatar
yeah, yeah..I knew I would hear poo poo about recommending it. I like it, plus it has Beaver in it!

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
TipsyMc you get The Professional. It's such a great film and includes a cracking performance from Gary Oldman. I feel like watching it again just writing about it.

Just finished watching Once Upon a Time in America. It was brilliant. Although it was almost 4 hours long, it didn't feel like any minute of the film was wasted in the slightest, which is why I was appalled when I found out that it was cut by about 40% for American release. It's like tearing the Mona Lisa in half.

Ennio Morricone's score was excellent once again, as was it's use and every character in the film was memorable. James Woods and De Niro give brilliant performances and their friendship on screen was a wonder to behold, from teens to adults. All of this is made all the more tragic after realising the original was cut. Seriously cannot get over this. Anyway, brilliant film, glad it was recommended.

Updated List:

Casablanca - I'm going to be honest and say that if a film's not in colour I usually don't give it a look in. It's ridiculous and stupid, I know. Recently though, I've been putting aside my child-like motives and have been enjoying some black-and-white classics.

2001: A Space Odyssey - I don't think I've ever actually had the opportunity to watch this, but have heard great things.

Amadeus
Rear Window - Expect more Hitchcock films to be added to this list as I don't think I've seen any. I'm not even too sure why. I think my film taste has matured a lot since the last time I had the opportunity to watch one of his films and neglected to. I've been skim-reading Empire magazines Hitchcock specials though and am fully aware of his genius.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Bande á part - I bought this on DVD knowing it shared the name with Tarantino's production company. Never got round to watching it, though.

Jackie Brown - While we're on the subject of Tarantino, this is another film that has never compelled me to watch it, despite a friend of mine relentlessly quoting Samuel Jackson's lines.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter - Heard it inspired suicides...not heard much else about it.

Downfall

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mikewozere posted:

This is a fantastic place to start Hitchcock, Mikewozere. Enjoy!

Okay, so I just finished watching Citizen Kane and wow is that film ever deserving of it's fame. I found it a completely engrossing study of a man and needless to say, ORSON WELLS (haha! Not Marlon Brando! Who would make that mistake. That's stupid. I certainly wouldn't. Haha..ha...haha..) was superb. My initial idea of the movie was it was some sort of political movie. I was so glad it wasn't and at the end I came to realize that one of my favorite movies (Velvet Goldmine) was crafted after it.

Simply wonderful.

Updated List:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. There Will Be Blood. I'm one of those people that watched No Country For Old Men instead. I hear it's brilliant, but it doesn't look too interesting to me. OIL!

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 2, 2010

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, so I just finished watching Citizen Kane and wow is that film ever deserving of it's fame. I found it a completely engrossing study of a man and needless to say, Marlon Brando was superb. My initial idea of the movie was it was some sort of political movie. I was so glad it wasn't and at the end I came to realize that one of my favorite movies (Velvet Goldmine) was crafted after it.

Simply wonderful and in it's place, I'm going to add another Marlon Brando film to my list.

:psyduck: This reads like a dispatch from another universe. Where was Marlon Brando in Citizen Kane?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Okay, so I just finished watching Citizen Kane and wow is that film ever deserving of it's fame. I found it a completely engrossing study of a man and needless to say, Marlon Brando was superb. My initial idea of the movie was it was some sort of political movie. I was so glad it wasn't and at the end I came to realize that one of my favorite movies (Velvet Goldmine) was crafted after it.

Simply wonderful and in it's place, I'm going to add another Marlon Brando film to my list.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear after Citizen Kane, it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles.

What the gently caress crazy version of Citizen Kane did you watch?

edit: Sheldrake :argh:

dotCommunism
Jul 27, 2005

by angerbeet
I see at least someone saw my fan film Last Tango in Citizen Kane

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Just finished watching Rear Window and I absolutely loved it. I was smitten from pretty much the opening scene, where you can discern almost everything you need to know. It was so arresting in places, especially when you could really feel how helpless Jeff was to do anything. It was almost as if he was sat watching the film with me. The film managed to succinctly display effective moments of romance, suspense and humour. The moments Jeff and Lisa share are incredibly intimate and the close camera work conveys this. It was like Grace Kelly was whispering in my ear instead. The final scene with Thorwald was ridiculously gripping. The slightly accelerated shots of his neighbours rushing to help heightened the panic. I let off a big laugh when the camera pans down to reveal two casts now on Jeff's leg and thought it rounded the film off nicely. You also see he and his girlfriend come closer together through their experiences and their relationship ended up being a great sub-plot.

Magnificent film. Hopefully I can return the favour to Bodnoirbabe by recommending There Will Be Blood. Daniel Day-Lewis's performance is both chilling and captivating at the same time. Evil personified.

Updated List:

Amadeus
Rear Window
Psycho - Might as well replace Read Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

Seven Samurai
The Magnificent Seven - Seems fitting to replace Seven Samurai with this. Westerns are a genre that's almost completely missing from my repertoire, having only really watched Sergio Leone's and some of the more modern, post 90's ones. I put this down to my Dad's ceaseless watching of them when I was growing up and him being able to actually quote the next lines in pretty much any Western that was on.

Once Upon A Time In America
Zatoichi - Can't remember when or who recommended this to me but it's been sat in my DVD collection for about 4 years and I haven't watched it.

Children of Men
The Deer Hunter - Heard it inspired suicides...not heard much else about it.

Downfall

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

:psyduck: This reads like a dispatch from another universe. Where was Marlon Brando in Citizen Kane?

FitFortDanga posted:

What the gently caress crazy version of Citizen Kane did you watch?

HAHAHA. Sorry, I meant Orson Wells. I am retarded, as you've all probably guessed...Going to fix that now...

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

mikewozere posted:

Psycho - Might as well replace Read Window with another Hitchcock film, seeing as I enjoyed it so much. Hope the parodies don't ruin this one, although I think I've already seen the infamous shower scene.

I can't pick for you, but I just wanted to state, to ease your mind a bit, that the shower scene, while iconic, is not half as interesting as the rest of the crazy in that movie, so you'll be juuuuust fine.

Edit: Commas are Gods gift to man so I try to use them as much as possible.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

mikewozere watch Casablanca. Can we just make that a prerequisite for this thread? ATTN: WATCH CASABLANCA YOU MOOKS

The Red Shoes - For the first 45 minutes or so I was thinking "this is good and all, but why does everyone love it so much? It's kind of routine." Then that dance scene started. My GOD that was a beautiful piece of work. Those colors, the smoothness of the movement, the sudden impossible jumpcuts. It didn't just record the action of ballet, but captured the spirit and moved beyond what is possible in life. Beautiful work. Visually it looked like The Wizard of Oz (though I suppose that's inevitable when you combine matte paintings, red slippers, and Technicolor) and the dream sequence from Kagemusha. The music was terrific too - when the guys in the masks are closing in on her there's a terrific phrase that sounds like it came out of Rimsky-Korsakov's "Scheherazade." A hell of a movie.

New List:

Trouble in Paradise/ any Lubitsch No excuse.

Shadows No excuse. I loved Woman Under the Influence. Also I love Charles Mingus. So I really don't know what the gently caress's wrong with me.

The Bad and the Beautiful I've been meaning to get into Minnelli.

Odd Man Out Sitting on my DVR. Give me an excuse.

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

L'Atlante I really liked Zero De Conduite until it got going, then I hated it. But what the hell?

All That Heaven Allows No excuse

Mr. Hulot's Holiday Tried to watch it - DVD was broken.

Anticipation of the Night I respect Brakhage more than I enjoy his work, but I feel like I should definitely get this one under my belt.

Blow Up Again, no excuse.

Finished from this thread: Au Hasard Balthazar, In the Mood for Love, La Dolce Vita, Anatomy of Murder, The Grand Illusion, Ben-Hur, Gone with the Wind, Black Orpheus, the Departed, Midnight Cowboy, The Red Shoes

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

penismightier posted:

Harvey Love that Jimmy Stewart.

Prepare to love him even more.

Just finished There Will Be Blood less than five minutes ago and holy hell, excellent film. Well...actually, the film as a whole...kind of boring. BUT, the film as a vehicle for Daniel Day Lewis to crazy it up? Perfect 10. One of the best performances I've ever seen of his. The slow decent into jealousy and madness was delectable. On a different note, I would love to see the behind the scene shots of the two major scenes Daniel and Paul had together. I bet it was a hoot to film and they laughed their asses off.

Anyhow, here's my updated list:

1. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - I'm not a huge western fan, but I HAVE tried to watch this. I always fall asleep in the first half hour.

2. The Usual Suspects. I've never seen this movie, but I do know how it ends, and since it's one of those that the ending is a surprise, I feel that watching the movie would be moot.

3. A Streetcar Named Desire. I hear it's one of Brando's most inspiring roles. Also, I am retarded.

4. The Pianist. I don't get enough Adrien Brody as it stands, I suppose I should watch one of his finest performances.

5. The Graduate. I've seen bits and pieces, but I haven't a clue as to the actual storyline.

6. Rocky. Not a big Stallone fan.

7. Eraserhead. I've seen Twin Peaks and Mullholland Drive, but David Lynch kind of freaks me out, so I've avoided his masterpiece to keep me sane.

8. Grosse Point Blank This movie I've tried to watch, but always got distracted. I have a feeling it's going to be hard to keep concentrating on, but I want to finish it. Plus, I like John Cussack.

9. City of Lost Children. My husband is partially deaf and I hear this is about deaf people and culture. Suppose I should give it a whirl.

10. Do The Right Thing. I have no idea what this movie is about, but I have no problems with Spike Lee as Crooklyn is one of my favorite films and I did enjoy Jungle Fever. I'd be going into this one pretty blind.

Finished movies: Die Hard; Dr. Strangelove.; Chinatown; Citizen Kane; There Will Be Blood

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I would love to see the behind the scene shots of the two major scenes Daniel and Paul had together. I bet it was a hoot to film and they laughed their asses off.

I'm pretty sure that's not how Daniel Day Lewis rolls. He's one of those always in character method actors.

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Bodnoirbabe posted:

See this movie. It is in my top five of all time. Most people tend to approach this film as "White people are monsters" which is why most white people don't see this movie. I think Spike is amazing at the gray area of race and this is really his masterpiece.

Here are 10 I have avoided for no good reason:

1. Dawn of the Dead The original and supposed classic. I am not a horror fan, so I kind of avoid them like the plague.

2. The Last Picture Show What is the movie and why is it on every list?

3. Spartacus blah, blah, blah, krubik, blah, blah, blah

4. Tombstone I have started this drat movie about 10 times and always fall asleep. I never fall asleep in movies.

5. The Great Escape Something about this movie just turns me off and I don't know what.

6. Cool Hand Luke I am made at myself for not seeing this yet. I even own the movie.

7. The Bridge on the River Kwai Another one that is on all the lists that I just don't care about.

8. The Conversation I didn't like The French Connection and I seem to think this is the same movie.

9. Mad Max I don't know what order the Mad Max movies go in, but I haven't seen any of them.

10. Kramer vs Kramer As a child of divorce, how exciting can this film be?

York_M_Chan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 4, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
Do The Right Thing is a great film but I'm always a bit wary of Spike Lee. He has a ridiculously unique style, that can sometimes just emerge in his films unannounced. There's a bit in Inside Man which is out-of-place where Denzel Washington is floated forwards at speed after the gun-shot sounds. I'd say just be wary of his style approaching this film and you should enjoy it.

York_M_Chan posted:

4. Tombstone I have started this drat movie about 10 times and always fall asleep. I never fall asleep in movies.

Embrace the corniness and you'll love it. EMBRACE IT.