Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Div-...o..." The color drained from Lette's face.

Then it came back. And then some. Perhaps her face was borrowing some color from the knuckles on her spear hand, which were going white.

"You...! That's poo poo, Alec!" she screamed, mad enough to spit fire. "That's not how it works and that's not how we do things here! I don't know what bull's-arse crap they pull up north, but you are not-... WE are not-!"

Her other hand, at her side, was balled up. Her nails were digging deeply into her palm. She did not feel it. "Whatever you did, fix it!"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"It can easily be done at dusk!" Alec looks at her startled, "I mean the fact I became a farmer for you, should tell you how much of a comrade you are! We can divorce tonight! I had no plans to force myself on you if that is what you think! We are not a rude and crass people, just honest and hard working!" Alec had no idea what her problem was?! She was a role below him, most women in Cheruscisten would be utterly honored and grateful at even the ruse! She even could claim land now as a warrior and use it for herself now. Alec was confused, having thought this was a goal of hers.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 1, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Dusk?!" Lette shouts. "Why-" she claps her hand over her mouth, holding back another shriek.

Finally, she launches into it. "I can't believe you'd do that! Why, why would you be unable to just play at it, to just use it like a story, you know, a story, like a make-believe thing-"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Stories aren't False! We always tell the truth!" Alec couldn't believe that Lette thought things were so false, and stories so untrue!

Alec tries to tell her the wonderful thing he has done for her "I thought you would be happy with all the La-"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"-but nooo, you've gotta take it to this extreme! What would you have done if I had said to play dead, Alec?! No, don't even answer that, I'm terrified to know! It's probably just as bad as I'd expect it-"

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Staring in shock, Isit clenches her bow, growing angrier by the second. Closing her eyes for a moment, she prays the gnolls kill him before she does. At least the argument would be an amazing distraction.

NoControl fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 2, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Hey now! If you would have listened it would be no problem! I'm just doing you a Weß blessing, it isn't like I wanted to get you preg-"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"-like a surprise, yes, that's exactly how most marriages start! Except not, because that was sarcasm! It's when you say something that you don't mean, to make your point! It's something else that I don't even think you understand-"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"-if I thought you were not honorable, I would not have suggested it! it makes the most sense, and after all, you are going to become a great War-"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"-a stupid thing to do, already, and then worse is you can't even undo it! What has dusk even got to do with it?! Were you just waiting to find a nice field beneath a hill with some corpses on it to spring this-"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 2, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

Giving the newlyweds a concerned look that borders on alarm, the young faun edges further away from the scene to hide in the field, praying that he won't be drawn into it. He wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the approaching pack decided to turn around rather then risk interrupting the two of them.

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

Having heard that gnolls are matriarchal, Isit idly wonders what they would make of this loud argument about a forced marriage.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Dolan

Dolan breathes a long, drawn out sigh, and moves still further from the arguing "couple." At least when the gnolls heard them -- and they would -- the sounds of the two arguing would likely cover up any sound Dolan made as he attacked.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Martin de Mignolet

'This may be crazy enough to work,' thinks Martin wryly to himself as he continues to slowly and quietly sneak to his right, hoping to open up enough of a gap that he could deal with the gnolls easily. The ruse didn't bother him, and his friends' loudness simply would make it easier for him to do his work - or at least he hoped so. If they could manage this, they could make their escape and make sure Noah was informed. Then, he supposed, war would begin - which he was not looking forward to. In pitched battle there was little personal glory; surely only one-on-one could a man be assured of honor.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
The argument continues, both almost-newlyweds raging at each other in quite loud voices. Everyone else- save Fenton, who apparently doesn't much let himself get bothered by marital squabbles any more than diving dragons or dream clouds that taste like grass- edges well away and gets concealed, watching Lette and Alec squabble uncomfortably. At last, they both have to pause for breath at the same time.

There's a polite, rather embarrassed cough a few dozen yards away. "Ex...cuse me?"

Lette and Alec turn, to see a lithe elf with a sword out, staring at them with a slight blush on her cheeks; flanking her is a pair of burly looking gnolls, who eye Lette and Alec with distrust, but don't quite have their very large axes out. The woman- with just the hint of a red fist peeking out from behind an armored sleeve- coughs again. "Is... that your mule over there, you two?"

First off: That's... hilarious. The searchers very easily pass their perception rolls to find Lette and Alec, and have a modified reaction roll of 14- uninclined to violence just yet. There was a bonus to that roll because I laughed at that exchange until I nearly peed. For the same reasons, Lette and Alec both get one bonus CP and a wedding registry opened in their name in Noah.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"-you wanted a BIG HALL, lets march back to Noah I'll marry you there, and bring all the things you want! I'm SORRY things didn't work out how you dreamed! Even though I have given you more than anyone in th-"

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"-in your gods-drat galumphing head, Alec, that's the only giant venue you're getting and I swear on every one of those funny words you use that if you don't put the nix on this as soon as your drat sun issues allow-"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 2, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The elf makes a gesture to the gnoll to her left, who then lets out an ear-piercing laugh/howl to try to get everyone's attention.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"WHAT?!" Lette jumps in shock, claps her hands over her ears and spins towards the distraction and-

Oh!

"S... sorry. Hello. Have you been there long?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

He turns to the elven lady and screams at the top of his Lungs "What!?"

Alec composes himself for a second before adding to Lettes comment

"Rough Honeymoon, sorry."

NoControl
Aug 6, 2004
Genetic Runaround
Isit

The bounty hunter just stares, as this is likely the strangest stalemate she'd ever seen.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The elf takes a step back, eyes wide and ears half folding back down. "A few minutes... and I asked, is that mule yours? We're tracking an assassins' band in this area, and... when we heard the argument..." she trails off, ears still pinned back. "Are you, um, both alright?" One gnoll snorts.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"Honeym-!" She restrained herself. This was the serious part. "Yes," she replies, appearing to hold back a profanity between each word. "We're... newlyweds." She glares daggers at Alec. "Apparently."

She sighs. "Yes, Fenton is with us."

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You chose," she says incredulously, "to honeymoon out here?"

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Oh, I so wish we hadn't. Apparently, here was an issue." Alec says somewhat dejected.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

"I wouldn't say I chose much of any part of it," she growled, boring a hole of rage through her husband with her eyes. Hence, as the implication goes, the fighting.

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 2, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Well then next time we get married, you get to choose where!" Alec says shaking his head and starting to turn toward Lette again.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

The elf looks back and forth between Alec and Lette, gaping. "You... and... your husband. O-kay." She sheathes her sword. "Have either of you seen anything... unusual, around here since about noon or so? Large birds, dragons, a stampede of elephants? I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't noticed even that last." Turning back, she quietly has a few words with the gnolls, who snarl and nod and begin circling slowly around the area, noses sniffing wildly.

"Assault Unit Leader Rial, 1st Royal Chasseurs. You know... I've got a husband myself, back with the army. If the two of you needed some... advice?"

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 4, 2012

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"Well there was that Dragon, but it didn't eat the mule, so I guess it wasn't that bad." With a shrug and thumb pointed back to the mule, "It did leave a strange smell though, the Mule didn't seem to mind much. You know Fenton, I have been too hard on you." Alec turns and pats Fenton on the head.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 2, 2012

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Every word Alec spoke was only making her angrier. She hoped it wasn't too obvious. "I don't think we'll need advice. This wasn't exactly planned, but I think we both already regret it. He said he'd fix it, and I'm holding him to it.

"And yes, it's been nothing but weird, going north," she replies. "The cinnamon-smelling dragon was bad enough, but yeah, there was also a pretty big-looking bird. It was-..." She hesitates. "Royal, um... I'm sorry, what royalty? Were you serving one of the princes?"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"Oh good," Rial says sourly, "you did see the giant disappearing dragon. Wonderful. I guess the two of you weren't arguing then. Plenty of birds, though, probably nothing to flabble about." She rolls her eyes slightly and then turns her attention to Lette. "He's showing that mule more affection than you, dear. Anyway, we serve the new Queen. She'll put the old Empire right again, sure enough, sweep away all the traitors and cowards keeping it down. But I'm sure a pair of newlyweds doesn't want to hear anything about politics, eh? Look." Sticking her hands into a strap of her armor as though they were pockets, she ambles a few steps closer. "What I've found is that you've just got to be able to see what your spouse's thinking, you two crazy kids. If you can't give your better half credit for meaning the best, you're never going to have a peaceful week, it's what I always say. 'Course if you argue by day but get along great by night, well, that's not something you need an elf's advice for, hey?"

She actually winks. Fenton snorts.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

Alec perks up and says simply and plainly turning to Lette and the newcomer "Simply put, there is no regret for me at all. She has been a help this is cold and strange land, without guidance I wouldn't be here today most likely instead wandering the fields looking and waiting. She is the most honorable person I have met here, and deserves more than I, a Farmer can give. I fear that yes, this must end but it is not cause of regret but rather, cause I will never been as kind or as talented as this woman beside me. I am humbled that what she will achieve, I for certain will instead settle near my home and go back to my family, while she? She can achieve anything, and do so with a smile and a friend around her. I have given her, I have to give to someone such as her, and I think one day soon that will be not enough. I have no regrets, for being bonded with this intelligent Woman." Alec nods to the woman and then gives a rare smile from the large Man.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Alec was gushing goo and Rial was winking behind some entirely unsavory sentiments. She winced as her anger spontaneously transformed into nausea. She swallowed back the bile. "That's probably my problem. I don't think I've yet understood what's going on in this one's mind. Yes, dear, that's very sweet." She leaned in to Rial. "He's putting on a show for company."

Changing subjects, she gives Rial a quizzical look. "New queen? Um, sorry, I must seem a bumpkin. Who is she? I'm afraid this is all news to me." She hesitated. "Who even makes new queens? I thought... well, as I'd been told, the succession ended with the princes."

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 2, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

After a long, measuring stare at the northman, Rial snorts and says, "Don't worry, hon, they get a lot easier to deal with once there's a little one on the way, eh?" Eyebrows and ears waggle in sync. "Best be hurrying though, anyone who breaks out into poetry to try to impress a strange soldier's probably flighty enough to do who knows what- with who knows what, if you catch my drift?" Ears and brows waggle again, a smirk on Rial's face. "As for the queen- what, you think your man's interested in going that far afield?" With a wink, the elf continues, "She's part of an old family, one with- let's put it this way- blood a lot more exalted than an emperor in her veins, hey? Better claim to rule than any of the pretenders left here, for drat sure, and she means to rule for everyone, not just the bastards who got the empire cracked up. She'll fix things right up, see if she doesn't." Satisfied, she turns cranes her neck and calls, "You two mutts find anything?"

The gnolls answer with shaking, snarling heads.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"I know I came all the way here cause of the Empire falling." Alec sighs and looks down, seeing that his words had been seen as fluffy lies "It would be a good thing to see this Land whole again. It would be very nice to visit home. The thing I miss most? The food, best Deer, and fish, oh the Fish so many types. We will see what happens I suppose, it is something that has been on my mind for the last few days, after the dragon came." Alec shrugs again, though now devoid for just a few hours of his normal heavy duty, he could not help be feel that something should be done. He wasn't sure exactly what she meant by lineage but it was not his place to talk of bloodlines. Not for a Farmer at least. "I didn't know there were pretenders to the throne at all, I suppose in my travels I never met anyone who would talk about it. What does the Queen want with all of this... mess?"

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 2, 2012

A Velociraptor!
Aug 20, 2007

Lo'el

He continues to squat down in the field, a good distance from everyone else, keeping them out of eye-shot but still close enough for his oddly-shaped ears to easily pick them out. So these people were with this queen. Which meant they knew where the civilians were, or had an idea of where they might be. There would be no way to ask without giving themselves away. However, the thought of revealing himself soon drifts away as his ears shift and hear the sound of the gnolls sniffing about for them. Keeping still for the moment, the faun holds his breath before slowly moving closer to the ground.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

The shift in Alec's body language relieved Lette. Maybe he was even starting to feel guilt. She decided to ease off of him for a bit. This is not to say that the dust had settled, but at the very least she could stand to throw less of it at his eyes.

Wait. Rial had said 'little ones.'

The lower lid of Lette's left eye began to twitch. And then she guffawed, her tone more than a little manic. "Never too soon to start!" She said through her teeth. "Need lots of little hands to help with the homestead, right? Cover the hillside with 'em, haha!" She wanted to bite down on something, hard. Maybe the elf's damned eyelids, if she kept winking like that.

"I could go on all day about it, I'm sure," she said, clearing her throat and steadying her breathing. "But that's all a ways off, yet.

"Speaking of homestead, I'd heard that there was unowned land a little further north, near the mountains. Are you saying that that's actually the domain of Queen...? Um, sorry, I didn't catch her name. Oh, is it impolite to ask? I apologize if it is. But um, she's got a K- Queendom already? Like, towns and people, even? I've run across a few abandoned villages traveling west, I was starting to think there was something keeping people from living around here.

"I mean, there must be people, if you say you're with an army. But then, sorry if I'm being presumptuous, it's... I mean, it's not a big army, right? Compared to the late princes', say? You're the first I've spoken with from it, and I've heard basically nothing about it."

Detect Lies 11. Do our hidden listeners get rolls, too?

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 2, 2012

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"Nice enough for you, I guess." Rial tells Alec. "Some of the northmen in the army say the same thing, but for my eyes I can't see it. Plenty of space, I guess, if you like that kind of thing. Me, I'm an imperial girl down to my toes. Queen wants to sort things out here and get us back on our feet I figure that's a good idea. Gods know the old aristocracy hosed the elephant enough trying to keep it together, eh?"

"That's the spirit!" If Rial were closer, she has a look as though she'd give Lette a friendly elbow in the ribs. "Kids are closer than you think, though, unless you're having more marriage problems than even you two kids sound like." Rial scratches her neck, looking over at the searching gnolls. "Sure and there's unowned land, as much as there ever was under the Emperors. Just took over a town three-four days ago, northwest of here. Some poor bastards tried to revolt, but we sorted that quick and it's all peaceful again." When Lette asks her question, Rial gets what can only be called as a leer on her face as she eyeballs Alec and says with the air of someone who's desperately trying not to laugh, "We-ell, they say it's not the size, so much as what you do with it... am I right?" With a chortle, she shakes her head and brushes a wisp of hair behind her pointed ear. "Anyhow, if you want to see some of the homesteading land further north, I'd be happy to take you through the army. You said you were from Noah, I overheard? Some of us may want to talk with you, the Queen even if you're lucky."

Lette cannot tell if the elf is lying; others without as good a view of her face have even less of a chance, and also don't manage to tell if the elf is lying.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Alec Cherusci

"I thought only Men who had issues with size talked like that! I've never had too." Alec smiles again, "I don't know about an escort, I mean there was already talk to go to the west, since this spot wasn't working!" Alec sighs again dramatically, last time he does an Empire girl a favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
Lette

Lette grimaced at the elf's bawdy implications. However, she was taken aback by the other part.

She took inventory: they had others who had succeeded in avoiding detection; a cover story that even had the benefit of being true (much to her chagrin); a chance not only to see the army but to get a tour; an opportunity to discover what befell the refugees, including Kat's mother, as promised; and the slight chance to meet the queen (and perhaps, unlikely as it seemed, get another important person to keep an eye out for Gil).

Perhaps most perversely, she also had an opening to contradict Alec.

"But we came from the west," she said in response to Alec's evasion. "How many times should we visit an abandoned town before we decide it's abandoned enough?" She shot him a sardonic smirk. "What's wrong, dear? Worried about meeting a woman whose opinions you'll actually have to weigh?"

Lette gives Rial a smile and a nod. "You know, I wouldn't mind seeing what you're building. Um, but before we go any further, what's all this about takeovers and revolts?"

Aeolius fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 2, 2012

• Locked thread