Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Personally, I can't say that I'm too much of a fan of EO1's Hexer. I like using them a lot more in EO2 for whatever reason, but that's probably because I like using Frailty right before I go nuts with an Overhead Ronin :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

SSNeoman posted:

So did your opinion of hexers change or is it too soon to tell?

Not really, so far. In random encounters, I'd generally rather have someone who deals damage so we can kill things a turn or two earlier than someone who can cause status effects, and FOEs tend to be good at shrugging off binds and stuff. :v:

I've been putting all of her points into binds, as that'll potentially be useful quite a bit later, and I keep meaning to have Richter put ranks in Ecstasy, a skill that deals massive damage to fully bound enemies, but I'm an idiot and constantly forget.

Still, it's fun to experiment, and Fran is amusing to write for, so it's not like I mind having her in the party, either. :v:

Hivac posted:

Personally, I can't say that I'm too much of a fan of EO1's Hexer. I like using them a lot more in EO2 for whatever reason, but that's probably because I like using Frailty right before I go nuts with an Overhead Ronin :black101:

From what I understand, EO2 buffed Hexers from being a bit terrible to ridiculously good. I've not played it much, though, so I'm not really sure - either way, though, starting off with them unlocked is a definite point in their favour. Fran being massively underlevelled for the area we're in isn't really helping her be useful.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

100percentjesusfree posted:

From what I understand, EO2 buffed Hexers from being a bit terrible to ridiculously good. I've not played it much, though, so I'm not really sure - either way, though, starting off with them unlocked is a definite point in their favour. Fran being massively underlevelled for the area we're in isn't really helping her be useful.

I'm not quite sure either, despite having beaten the entire main game. I guess it's because Revenge Curse can break 2k+? I don't see the point in it when a buffed Ronin can hit 3 times with Midareba for 2k+ at the end of the game without having to be at 1HP. I killed Overlord in 3 turns.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Hivac posted:

I'm not quite sure either, despite having beaten the entire main game. I guess it's because Revenge Curse can break 2k+? I don't see the point in it when a buffed Ronin can hit 3 times with Midareba for 2k+ at the end of the game without having to be at 1HP. I killed Overlord in 3 turns.

It's because it's 2k+ unresistable damage, and it does massive damage for so little TP throughout the main game as well, if you just take the time to stroll around the 2nd Stratum's damaging floors. You won't Midareba the optional bosses for 2k, I don't think, or at least it would require a lot of setup, or a Hexer with Dampen. The other reasons Hexers are nuts in EO2 is because Torpor is so good against random encounters, and Dampen means you can just ignore resistances for your other characters as well. Torpor puts all your enemies to sleep, at really high success rate, and usually before they do anything since the Hexer is so fast. Dampen sets the enemy's resistances to nothing (or a small negative number, I think). I think the assumption is that Dampen was supposed to reduce the enemy's resistances, but is bugged to just set them to a new value.

I liked Hexers a lot in EO1, but they are definitely underpowered.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

My general setup would usually require at least one turn. My Ronin would use Dead Law, my WM would use Warmight on the Ronin, my Troubadour would use Bravery, and my Hexer would use Frailty. Generally, I was able to use this combination to kill most of the enemies that I ran into, including some of the earlier postgame bosses. You're pretty accurate in that I was not able to kill any of the dragons with the setup, however.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My setup relied mostly on my hexer spitting poison like some kind of poison-based artillery. I had a Landsknecht and a Warmage taking on the most dangerous in a given random mob of enemies, followed by my alchemist hitting everyone at once and my hexer poisoning everyone. My medic mostly just helped out my frontline or healed everyone up after battle. In most cases, every single battle ended with the first turn: The poison wiping out every survivor still standing.

With this tactic I made it literaly to the overlord, thanks to an astonishing number of enemies being vulnerable to poison. At that point I had to start to think again, though. In my first attempt I suddenly became aware of how fast my setup burned through TP. :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eh, I like the idea well enough. The party is getting to be too successful, and not leaving enough dungeon behind to support the grazing habits of a new generation of adventurers. You've got to have a sustainable adventuring ecosystem.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
Incidentally, the remake's version of the tree FOEs in this place, now called Medusa Trees, are extremely annoying. They take a ton of damage, especially from fire, but holy crap can they dish it out as well. They have a physical attack that hits a line for about 200 per member and causes head bind, which pretty much wraps it up for you if they drop it into the back line. And if they don't, watch out for the petrification attack getting aimed at your Protector or Medic. And of course, they're everywhere and blocking all the important passages.

Honestly, I'd much rather take the 100 poison damage per turn.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

KingEffingFrost posted:

Incidentally, the remake's version of the tree FOEs in this place, now called Medusa Trees, are extremely annoying. They take a ton of damage, especially from fire, but holy crap can they dish it out as well. They have a physical attack that hits a line for about 200 per member and causes head bind, which pretty much wraps it up for you if they drop it into the back line. And if they don't, watch out for the petrification attack getting aimed at your Protector or Medic. And of course, they're everywhere and blocking all the important passages.

Honestly, I'd much rather take the 100 poison damage per turn.

It's entirely possible that the guys have something like that, too, as they have a skill called Branch, they just haven't used it once, yet, for some reason. :v: But yeah, the poison spam is really easy to deal with, and if that's all they insist on doing, they make for an absurdly easy FOE fight.

Sorry about the non-update, uni stuff, more sickness etc. got in the way, but now I have a break, so I should update relatively soon, unless something else manages to go wrong. :v:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Sorry for the double-post, but I sort of wanted to let people know what's happening, and also not have the thread die as I do intend to continue:

Long story short, between finding I have stones in both kidneys, the computer that I was doing the LP on dying under mysterious circumstances, and my final year at university sort of kicking my rear end, I've not been having much luck getting any LPing done. :v:

I think I managed to get everything I need to pick this up backed up before my computer died, but I've not really had time to properly look. I do still plan to continue this, and finish it, but circumstances haven't exactly been great. LP curse, etc.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Life > LP.
At all times.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Life > LP.
At all times.

Agreed; glad to see this is sticking around, but always remember to take care of yourself first and foremost.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Update 31 - Meeting the forest folk!

Welcome back, everyone. Today, we're going to finish up exploring a couple of floors, and make a start on some fantasy genocide.

We're still the good guys, right?

Stratum 4 theme - The Withered Forest

"God damnit, Fran."

Just as a reminder, this IS an Atlus game. Despite being a bit overlevelled, and fairly well equipped, random encounters can still gently caress you up if you get complacent and/or unlucky. :v:

"A... hairpin? What's that doing here?"

"I'll take that! I'm a master of unlocking, you know."

"No, we're not doing this. Just for that, Serasmus can take it."

"I must admit, I'm a bit in the dark about how a hairpin makes me feel tougher than a proper hat."

"Don't question it, it might stop working."

I don't think I mentioned this before, but Goldeer can dispel buffs from the party. Given how powerful buffs are in this game, that's a pretty big deal - especially because it massively fucks Ronin over, making all their stance stuff unreliable.

The warrior woman Ren speaks to you abruptly. Beside her is her constant companion, the flame-haired Tlachtga. It seems the pair has been waiting for you here. Ren takes a slow look around the vast forest behind her before speaking.

"We heard from the Radha that you've come to deal with the forest folk. Is that true?"

The question has a doubtful undercurrent, as if the ronin is unsure of your skill.

"Pretty much, yeah."

"Or make friends with all of them! Maybe they'll just let us through, then?"

"Fran... you don't just 'make friends' with monsters. You put them down."

"But-"

"ANYWAY. The forest folk are guarded by many powerful monsters that dwell on this floor. Furthermore, it is all too easy to lose your bearings if you walk about aimlessly. Somewhere along the walls, though, is a secret passage... if you find it, it will lead you to stairs that take you below. The forest monsters will do their utmost to prevent that. Proceed with caution."

Ren sighs, as one would when completing an odious task.

That is all. We leave the rest to your skills."

The two of them stand aside, allowing you to pass. If you are prepared, continue forth. As you continue onward, a pair of adventurers gazes at your party from afar...

"Forest folk, and the horder of monsters... If they make it through them to the depths..."

Ren gives a sidelong glance to the girl beside her, who nods and speaks quietly.

"That's why we're here, isn't it...? For the sake of both the Labyrinth and the town..."

The two of them fall silent, and disappear into the forest.

Cryptic.

"Alright! It's always great to find a floor with one of these."

Even if you're not that badly hurt, making a beeline for a healing fountain so you know exactly how to reach it is pretty much the first thing you should always do on a floor, in my opinion. :v:

"Wow! They really are just like kinda weird people!"

"Fascinating."

"Oof. Maybe save standing around slack-jawed for when we're NOT faced with things trying to kill us?"

I actually find fighting slightly more humanoid opponents like this kind of interesting. As you might guess, Warriors are very dangerous melee fighters, while mystics are much less dangerous with their basic attacks, but have a few other tricks up their lack-of sleeves.

Warriors can also take a reasonable amount of punishment. We didn't go all out and hit her with everyone, as I had the party set up some defensive buffs, but even so, surviving a hit from Serasmus' flame spell without being particularly fire resistant is pretty impressive.

Experience is decent, too. While not mindblowing, wandering around here and sticking close-ish to the healing fountain is an okay way to level for a bit, if you need it. It's marginally less tedious than grinding frogs, and the enemies aren't particularly bullshit-y. That, combined with the healing fountain, makes this floor fairly good.

From what I remember, Soldiers are basically slightly less offence-oriented warriors, able to take hits a bit better, but not quite as good at murdering Hector in a couple of hits. :v:

Also, more resource spots! So we're going to have to drag the farmbots down here. Great.

"Huh. Rare to see a monster that cares for more than just mindlessly attacking."

"Maybe we could get one to join us!"

"Hey! No forest-person's stealing my job!"

"Hey! No! Bad forest person, don't kill our friends! My hugging chains will stop your mischief!"

"I guess Jill's not the only one who has to worry about job security. :sigh:"

There are a surprising number of resource points just scattered around.

They seem fresh... It's possible that the beast who made them is still close at hand. There must be some beast in this Stratum yuo have not yet encountered. Continue your exploration with great caution!

For great caution! ...I'm so, so sorry.

But yeah, I'm sure this will never be relevant again.

And the final two resource points. This floor has two of everything for some reason!

I can't imagine it being fun to be a druid in a dead, desert forest.

Also, for all the jokes about 'hugging chains' and whatever, Fran's curses actually look pretty creepy.

Now, there's a rather special FOE that spawns on this floor. We can see it down near the bottom of the map - it moves in a weird fashion, and catching it requires a specific set of moves.

North.

East a bit.

South to just below the healing fountain...

Then finally off to the east, and you'll run into it.

"Ooh! It's already our bud! I KNEW we'd make friends here!"

"...Not that kind of bud, Fran."

:aaa:

:flame:

:aaaaa:

Yeah, even with all that, it's still alive and well. These things have a load of health, but take a huge amount of damage.

Also, if you couldn't tell from our health totals, they don't really seem to fight back either.

Needless to say, with damage like that, it goes down like a chump. Hopefully it's worth a lot of exp-

:mad:

It seems the monsters the girl spoke of are beyond here. You decide this would be a good place to prepare before continuing down the path. The way forward waits silently and patiently for you to continue forth...

So yeah, here's where we go when we want to progress.

"Ahh, finally. That wold've bugged me if we left it unfilled."

"OCD, much?"

"Eh. Let's head back to town. There was something weird about that bud, and I want to sell that leaf before we forget we've got it."

:signings:

"Wait, when did YOU get here?"

"Well, Fran doesn't seem the type to freak out over money, so someone had to fill the fifth spot."

"SO MUCH CANDY"

"I... stand corrected, apparently."

Next time, progress! Maybe! Or sidequests! Or both! Thread, you decide! (Or don't and I'll just make it up as I go along.)

As always, if anyone wants the party to change around or anything, just say so, I'll try to oblige people if anyone's particularly unhappy with a given character.

And, again, apologies for this LP moving about as quickly as a glacier made of glue. LP curse got my hard drive, and university is eating up a whole bunch of time. :v:

New Shop Stuff

The halberd suffers from the problem of all axes, in that it's an axe, and it's not the meteor axe. :v:

It's not too bad really, but we're not using an axe-necht, so...

It requires a Nyx Scythe, a rareish drop from those Mantis enemies.

The ebon aspis is alright. It's a bit worse than the heat aspis, coming with no elemental resistance, and costs a bit over a thousand more to buy, but it can go on a few more classes.

It's a bit of a pain to make, requiring 3 Ink Sticks, 3 Hard Shards, and 3 Steel Chips. Ink Sticks drop from Mystics and Soldiers, Hard Shards drop from Warriors and Soldiers, and Steel Chips drop from Warriors.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 14, 2014

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Selling the item dropped from the Bud doesn't unlock a new item in the original game?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

asvodel posted:

Selling the item dropped from the Bud doesn't unlock a new item in the original game?

As far as I can tell, EO1 doesn't tell you if an item unlocks something until all the criteria is met, which is usually 5+ of multiple items for things that are actually worth anything (atwiki atwiki atwiki)

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Hooray, you're back :toot:

I missed the antics of the Runaway Guild (that's what we are, right? :ohdear:)

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Hivac posted:

As far as I can tell, EO1 doesn't tell you if an item unlocks something until all the criteria is met, which is usually 5+ of multiple items for things that are actually worth anything (atwiki atwiki atwiki)

Ick, I hope you don't have to wait for it to respawn 5 times
In EOU just one of them unlocks a nice accessory that gives you +100 TP

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

asvodel posted:

Just looked this particular one up, and yes, the associated item requires 5. It's an accessory with HP+80, STR+10, and VIT+10. That's not too terrible, but I don't know if the farming would be worth it, because it costs 200000 and sells out :suicide:

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

GeneralYeti posted:

Hooray, you're back :toot:

I missed the antics of the Runaway Guild (that's what we are, right? :ohdear:)

Indeed it is.

asvodel posted:

We do. The item requires 5 of those M leaves for every single copy that we want to buy, and as I recall, this is the only thing in the game that drops them. The item is also absurdly expensive, so I'm not going to be farming for it right now, because we won't be able to afford it roughly forever.

It also has a different effect to the one you get in EOU, so I guess that game has a few more differences than I thought. :v:

e;fb

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Good to see you back! :buddy: And good to see Runaway, those lovable scamps :3:

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Hivac posted:

Just looked this particular one up, and yes, the associated item requires 5. It's an accessory with HP+80, STR+10, and VIT+10. That's not too terrible, but I don't know if the farming would be worth it, because it costs 200000 and sells out :suicide:

yikes, the one in EOU sells out but it is only like 30,000 en

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Your music link's borked.
Buut:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrGzDlWE-o

^This is great as replacement.
(And the Remake's music is pretty similar to this, but twice as slow)

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Your music link's borked.
Buut:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqrGzDlWE-o

^This is great as replacement.
(And the Remake's music is pretty similar to this, but twice as slow)

Ah drat, so it has, thanks. Edited it to replace it with a different source of the original music, though your link is much snazzier. :v:

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Glad to see this is back :)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow, they actually are just showing up as random encounters.

Now I'm all sad. Sad about genocide.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Glazius posted:

Wow, they actually are just showing up as random encounters.

Now I'm all sad. Sad about genocide.

I'm happy. Happy that I skipped the first game, that is.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Libluini posted:

I'm happy. Happy that I skipped the first game, that is.

I went 3->4->2->1. Dealing with this game's limitations is interesting, and has given me a lot of odd habits when I go back to play 2 onwards. (Strafing, what's that?)

McGwee
May 1, 2012

I can relate to poor Hector. I can't leave a floor map unfinished even when dying. MUST MAP EVERYTHING.

100percentjesusfree
Mar 18, 2009

FOE! FOE!
100% FOE!
Update 32 - B18f. Sidequests, Genocide, Assorted Goods

No one said anything about progress VS sidequests, and we've just been sort of leaving them to gather dust, so I believe it's time to go clear out our list a bit.

Also, I think I'm going to stop linking to music for now seeing as all the links I use were removed. :v: I will link to new tracks when they come up, though. If anyone would strongly prefer I root out some new links to use, just say so and I will, I'm not sure how much people mind.

This is a pretty great quest to do, as it basically involves taking a party of miners to B17, mining a bit (or murdering some of the populace), and the reward is good.

This one is a pain, for reasons I'll go into later.

No, gently caress this quest. I hate the Feat of Strength quests, and tend to only even attempt them when kinda overlevelled.

Easy enough, but can be frustrating - musks drop from Goldeer, but not super commonly.

This one can be a huge pain, those turtle FOEs that drop the 100 shell take a while to die, even now, and it's a rareish drop.

Easy, quick, and has a cash reward.

We actually can't do this one yet, as it requires a drop we can't get. I'm pretty sure we can buy the reward, though, and it's been in our quest list for ages. :iiam:

Sidequests in this game are not super interesting to do or document, most of the time, but I'd feel dirty if I just left them sitting there. So, on to Love's Uncertain Promise!

"The client's lover entered the Labyrinth by himself, and hasn't come out yet. Have you heard of the landsknecht they call the Rainbow Swordsman?"

"Ooooooh. No, but I wanna know more!"

"He's a nice kid who's always seen wearing a rainbow-colored bandana. He's a pretty skilled explorer, but his guildmates were injuerd during an excursion... So he's decided to continue the investigation on his own until their wounds heal."

"What a genius. What kind of idiot wanders around in the labyrinth alone?"

"Err... yeah. Moving swiftly on, any idea where he is?"

"Last she heard, he was going to investigate the 16th floor. He may still be there if you look for him. I hope he's all right... Find him before anything happens to him, okay?"

"Yeah! Anyone called the Rainbow Swordsman sounds too fabulous to die!"

We also pick this up, because there are Goldeer on B16f where we're going, so might as well have the quest for their drop.

I still cannot fathom why they made her say this near enough every drat time.

"You might remember him from his earlier request. This time, he wants two Musks from you. I hear you can get Musks from the Goldeer that lives around the 16th floor.Best of luck, kiddos."

You pause, looking around you, but nothing in particular catches your eye. When you return to the path, you see an adventurer's belongings scattered at your feet. Among them is a slightly stained, rainbow-colored bandanna.

Obtained Bandanna.

"Oh no. :("

"Well, drat. Maybe we should give it to Alex, see if it gives her infinite arrows or something."

"I think she already HAS infinite arrows, somehow."

Love's Uncertain Promise is basically 'go to where you found Tlatchga earlier'. It's fairly painless, provided you can remember how all the stupid moving floors work.

The name seems to sort of spoil the fact that it's not going to end well, though.

You hand over the landsknecht's memento.

"Welcome back... The Labyrinth can be harsh, can't it? I feel awful for the both of them... But challenging the forest alone... You're taking your life in your hands that way."

She says, after having already given us one quest to do just that, and while holding a second quest to do it again. :v:

"Let that be a lesson to you, kiddos. Don't get overconfident."

"Welcome back, Kids. I wonder what kind of dish he's going to make with this... Some kind of seasoning? Well, anyway, thanks for the hard work anyway."

Clearly he's been reading LPs of Pokemon: Vietnamese Crystal, and wants to make a truly unique volcano bakemeat. :v: In any case, we pick up The Foreign Seeker while we're here.

"The client's from a small village far to the west, but he's collapsed with fatigue. He says he can't return to his hometown without this shell. I don't know why that is... But could you please find him a 100 Shell?"

"Achoo!"

:catstare:

"You... might want to let Jill take a look at that."

"Hell no, I'm not touching that."

Seriously, that's an... interesting choice of colour fuckery.

Also the first one we kill drops what we need, haha. I was expecting that to be far more painful.

"Welcome back. Yeah, this is a 100 Shell, all right. I'll make sure the client gets it."

She seems about as enthusiastic about this as Atlus were about making interesting quests. :v:

"Oh, and I asked him what he needed one for. Turns out it's used in a festival at his home. They put the shells over a strong flame, and read the future by the way it cracks.

Guess how far into the future they can read with this method? That's right... 100 years."

"I was going to say 'Not at all because it sounds like nonsense', but that works too."

"Just goes to show that not all the world's mysteries are down there in the Labyrinth..."

No more putting it off. Now to take on Work Stoppage.

I'm pretty sure that she'd get autobanned if that was a thread title.

"That's why the artisans of the Carpenter's Guild go down to the 17th floor to cut wood."

"Seems a bit weird that the half-dead, withered looking things are better than the ones in the pleasant, forested area."

"Clearly, they're undead trees, bolestering themselves with the blood of fallen adventurers."

"Wow. You're -really- reaching, now."

"Lately, though, monsters have been keeping them from getting the quality of wood they need. So their request to you is to defeat three Sickwoods so they can continue their work."

Sickwood 1. Note that, even with its head bound, it never used its mythical 'branch' attack, it just kept trying and failing to spew poison.

Sickwood 2. I should probably have healed Serasmus' TP up first, but eh. As far as FOEs go, Sickwoods are pretty pathetic. So, why is this annoying?

Because, unfortunately, you can kill the sickwoods before the quest starts and you have to wait for them to respawn. There's one last sickwood that's supposedly holding the project back, but it doesn't actually exist at present.

Programming! Let's just move on and do something else while we wait.

"They need you to mine some materials for decoration in one of their projects. They need three Hard Shards and five Steel Chips. Good luck mining that stuff."

It's at times like this I'm glad I have the farmbots. :v:

Tactical espionage Mining Action!

We also head to a Take point for good measure. It's actually not TOO hard to bring the farmbots down here, but it's a bit of a pain, so maxing out profits is a good idea.

"Sheesh! This must've been a pain to carry out of there! Well, leave the rest to me. Don't worry, I'm not goign to lug this stuff around myself. I'll have one of them get it."

The reward is fairly nice, it gives a fair bit of attack, and this party really needs help dealing damage.

Finally.

As the Sickwood falls to the ground, the carpenters appear, and begin setting up again... The project suspended due to the monster has already resumed. Your work here is finished. You should return to the pub."

Nah. We've got more wandering to do, first.

"Huh, more FOEs. It'll be nice to fight something that's not one of the forest folk down here."

"...Or not."

Oh gently caress. Remember how I spent a while, in the Medic's rundown, ranting about why Refresh, the status-healing skill kind of sucks?

I stand by that, but it's still important to have, and I'm massively regretting taking Jill's away right about now.

Also, it's good to see Chie's dominatrix banana-head persona from Persona 4 getting some work outside of that game, though it looks like her head's been peeled here.

I found it slightly humorous how that turned out. Also terrifying! Don't underestimate these guys, or they'll wreck you, completely. We're already pretty much hosed, here.

One of the things that makes the forest people FOE bosses possible is that they're surprisingly vulnerable to being bound. So, you might be wondering why we're so hosed?

"What a horrible night to have a curse..."

THAT is why. For those who didn't read/don't remember how I described Curse working in the Hexer's description, it returns half of the damage a character deals right back at them.

Against enemies, this is a mild annoyance for them, as they tend to have lots of health and hit comparatively lightly. For our party, it's a nightmare - nothing can reduce the damage, and we don't have the skill to heal it. I don't think we even have any status-healing items.

Yeah, it doesn't take a genius to see where this is going.

Trying again. There's no way into this section without getting past her.

Much better start.

"Says you. Ugh."

Naturally.

I could kiss Fran right about now.

Fortunately, they don't have MASSIVE amounts of health, and if you can keep them bound, they're not too big of a threat. If they decide to open with Curse, you're basically hosed though.

I'm not even 100% sure that curse wears off after battle, to add an extra layer of 'gently caress you'.

"It's an insult to have a creature sling curses -and- wield my family's traditional weapon! I'll show you how to use a whip!"

"Oh dear. Fran, don't look."

"Well. Seeing that done to a Golem is one thing, but... let's just never speak of this again."

Fairly nice rewards, but considering how risky the fight is, I'm still not in a huge hurry to hunt them down.

"Fantastic. More crap treasure."

"For once, I'm not even going to disagree."

Oh joy.

"Cruella? You sound like you torture puppies! I'm not even gonna feel bad when we take care of you!"

"Whoo! Go Richter!"

"Thanks, just no hugs. PLEASE."

"Hah! How'd you like THAT!"

"Going by the severe burns, probably not a lot..."

Huh. There's something to be said for having a Dark Hunter and a Hexer in the same party.

And that something is 'ecstasy'.

"Fran. Look away again."

"Nevermind Fran, EVERYONE look away."

"Oh shut up."

That might not seem like too much, for all the setup that goes into it, but it's cheaper than Serasmus' spell, it isn't boosted, and it's only at level 1 whereas Serasmus' skill with Flame is level 10.

Ecstasy isn't something you can frequently do, but when you can, the skill's name says it all.

"Aaaah! I want one as a pet! Here Pixies!"

"I don't want one any more. :("

It's a drat good thing this is here, it gives us a way to slip past those FOEs, if we have to come back later.

There's another puppy-hater up here. They're not really much different to Diabolix, the main difference is that their status-attack causes Confusion, if I recall right. Confusion and Curse are both a bitch to deal with, especially when they hit most of your party.

:geno:

Even the deceptively tiny, harmless-looking pixies are absolute assholes down here. Petrification doesn't wear off after battle, and just like every RPG where it shows up, it's basically the same as being dead, except Jill can't revive him.

Fantastic.

Still, we find the stairs. We're heading back, but might as well see what's on the next floor first...

Oh god, Dangan Ronpa has leaked in here, abandon LP.

Hector is doing pretty well. He's building up to the point where he can learn Smite, because it'll give him something to do on a turn where the party doesn't need buffing.

Richter is, similarly, doing pretty well. With Gag capped out, he has a reasonable shot of stopping those FOEs loving us over with bullshit status magic.

Jill's skill points are a mess. TP Regen is too slow to be useful at lower levels, and I could REALLY use those skill points in Refresh, so she can help if we get hosed over by status attacks.

I'm half considering resting her and resetting her skills again, and just carrying a few TP healing items.

Serasmus is fun to have around. Massive amounts of both single and multi-target damage... he burns through TP at a rate of knots, but is very efficient at putting things in the ground.

He also helps us get more drops, so thank you, Scavenge!

Fran is very, very good at getting people tied up. If I'm remembering something right, this will come in handy much later on, and even if it doesn't, it's good for setting Richter up to use Ecstasy.

Sapping and Frailty are handy hen there's something she can't bind, for whatever reason. I'm probably going to pump Frailty after I get her arm and leg bind up to ten, because it'll give her a way to sort of contribute, damage-wise.

New shop stuff!

The moon Aspis is pretty great. A huge chunk of defence, and a Vit boost, to give even more! Landsknecht/Protector exclusive, but even so, it's really nice.

It requires 3 silver eyes, which are a fairly rare drop from those Mantis enemies.

The Blade Whip is nice. You lose out on the agility bonus from the Shred Whip, but it does give quite a nice bit of attack power. It requires 5 Tendons, from the 'Immoa' enemies, and one steel chip which you can get from mining.

The Luck Staff, meanwhile, is kind of an oddball. Gives a fair bit of attack, and a bonus to Luck, but I'd still rather take the +Tec you get from the gem staff. It takes 3 Pure Roots, which drop from Hexroots.

Turns out, it's not as useless as I thought! Zurai has this to add:

Zurai posted:

The Luck Staff is for Hexers. Luck has a huge impact on ailment and bind success rate, more than Technique does.

The Shidgedou is a VERY nice ow, giving a big chunk of attack power over all of its predecessors. Unfortunately, that chunk doesn't come cheap.

It needs 5 Dried Vines from Hexroots, and 4 Throb Vines from Sickwoods, and a lot of cash.

Replace your characters with Dark Link, all for the low, low cost of 3 Sand Clothes, 3 Ink Sticks, and a bit of cash.

The amount of defence that it gives is on par with plate mail, and it can be equipped by even the squishiest of classes. It lacks TP bonuses and other such things, but it's very nice in terms of sheer survivability.

A glove for casters ,that can only be worn by casters. Very nice. Takes 7 sand cloths, which you can find at Take points on B18, and on the Msytics/Druids on the same floor.

I will never buy this item, because even if I did, I'd forget to use it. Requires 3 Cordyceps, taken from Take points on B18, if you're really eager to make one for some reason.

100percentjesusfree fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 9, 2014

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Going in without Refresh seems to be remarkably dangerous. :ohdear:

Also I'm just going to preemptively demand the music for the next stratum be posted, because :swoon:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

theshim posted:

Going in without Refresh seems to be remarkably dangerous. :ohdear:

Also I'm just going to preemptively demand the music for the next stratum be posted, because :swoon:

I did the entire thing without it :suicide: I think I had something around 5-8 FOEs respawn on me while going to the fountain. It was really awful.

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010
You've got a double image when going through the new quests that were added to the list - the Test of Strength 2 image is missing.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Ecstasy was made into a lot better move in EOU though with it only requiring at least one bind instead of all 3, I used it a lot in pretty much every major fight after I got it
and at least in that version it has a goofy effect with roses everywhere appearing over the enemy

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

asvodel posted:

Ecstasy was made into a lot better move in EOU though with it only requiring at least one bind instead of all 3, I used it a lot in pretty much every major fight after I got it
and at least in that version it has a goofy effect with roses everywhere appearing over the enemy

It actually escalates depending on how many binds you have. According to the atwiki, at level 10 it goes something like

0-480%
1-480%
2-730%
3-1310% :supaburn:

Then again, a boosted poison at level 10 can do up to 1710% damage magnification so :shrug:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Hexers and Dark Hunters have pretty good synergy. Since binds work on bosses, are you gonna try and level up ecstasy? Or is that still too situational to be good?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

The Luck Staff is for Hexers. Luck has a huge impact on ailment and bind success rate, more than Technique does.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

I still cannot fathom why they made her say this near enough every drat time.

You know, you could just leave it out and we could just take it as granted that she always says that.

Or is this one of those, "If I have to suffer through it, so does the audience," things? :v:

"What a horrible night to have a curse..."

It's 10 in the morning!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zurai posted:

That makes so much more sense than it should.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

W.T. Fits posted:

It's 10 in the morning!

That line should have legit been in there!

Glad to see this LP is still going, I'm enjoying it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tithin Melias posted:

Glad to see this LP is still going, I'm enjoying it :)

Yeah, I'm glad to it's still going. And thanks to my own DS being broken as gently caress, it's right now the only place where I can get my EO-fix. (Typical for Nintendo, my DS is literally crumbling into pieces of plastic, but still works. It's just that I can't play it because my duct tape can't hold the displays together anymore. Which makes holding the drat thing a pain in the rear end and playing nearly impossible.)

• Locked thread